DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Worship drummer - variety?

This question is for the many drummers on this site who listen to Christian music and/or play in church.

I'm looking for music that is outside the Hillsong genre (which I commend, but it's starting to all sound the same to me ). You folks have any favorite bands that play bluegrass, folk, funk or R&B from a Christian perspective? I'm longing for a musical change of pace. I listen to and play a wide variety of music and would like to expand my playlist.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Worship drummer - variety?

Elevation Worship
Vertical Worship
Vineyard
Brian Doerksen
Casey Corum
Kari Jobe
Chris Falson
Charlie Hall
Matt Redmon
Maranatha Praise Band
Chris Tomlin

Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Try this: https://youtu.be/vCJL0hQs5z4?t=30s and then read on....

Not sure if you are only looking for the "latest and greatest" or whether some old school stuff will suffice, but here are some old school favorites of mine...

Almost ANYTHING by Michael Card and Fernando Ortega. Lyrically deep and musically mature.

Older Michael Card stuff (early 80s) suffers from the typical canned keys and edrum production, but is till tremendously challenging theologically. Around 1988 (Present Reality) he really stepped it up and went from pop to classical to celtic and beyond.

Fernando Ortega's music has a great Southwestern vibe and is really down homey while treating the life of Jesus as a wonderful mystery.

Can't recommend the above artists enough.

A few others-

Twila Paris' True North album is a great production and musically interesting. Produced by Charlie Peacock.

Tony Weeks does some cool bluegrass feel hymn adaptations in two albums called the "Baptist Hymnal".

Casting Crowns took their music to a new level with their "Come to the Well" album.

Shane and Shane did a bluegrass EP called "Shane and Shane Bluegrass Sampler"
Old 02-05-2018, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Worship music is made to be simple so that the widest variety of people can easily sing and worship to it. It ain't prog rock, that's for sure.

In the 1980s I played in a church that performed nothing but material from Don Moen's Hosanna! Music library. Then I moved to a new town and spent about fifteen years playing nothing but Vineyard worship material, and they pumped out two or three discs per year. Lotsa material, but it got routine (lotsa call & response stuff in the beginning). Then a new worship "pastor" came along and it was nothing but Jesus Culture material, great music but we never sounded as good as their recordings.

Around 2008 I was asked to play in a band of "school of rock" teachers for a one-night gig. The material was all my favorite 60s & 70s music. Within a day of practicing to the music, I realized I'd lost a lot of my feel & chops for the music. It was very disappointing. I began to play in bar/club bands in an effort to get back what I lost, eventually playing in several funk bands. As a Christian, why not play in clubs & bars? WWJD? He'd be jamming in the clubs!

I suggest you join Apple Music or Spotify and start by listening to anything that piques your ears. It doesn't have to be Christian material, does it?
Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
You folks have any favorite bands that play ....from a Christian perspective?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
It doesn't have to be Christian material, does it?
I don't know about others, but I find it hard to get a "Christian perspective" from those writing from a non-Christian perspective...
Old 02-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I don't know about others, but I find it hard to get a "Christian perspective" from those writing from a non-Christian perspective...
I agree, but I'm just recommending a source of material that will possibly satisfy his drumming spirit.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
Backstreet Boys
Postmortem panty-raiders
Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

You folks have any favorite bands that play bluegrass [...] from a Christian perspective?
Bluegrass gospel? Take your pick! There's tons of it out there. Just do a Google search for "bluegrass gospel." It all sounds the same to me, so I can't really suggest anyone.

Quote:

folk?
I guess it depends on how you define "folk." I guess the best suggestion I have is Caedmon's Call (the first album they did). Also, look at the first Glory Revealed album. I absolutely loved that album. So many good tracks on it.

Quote:

funk or R&B?
I only know of horrible Christian funk bands from the 90s that I'm not going mention here. Possibly look at Kirk Franklin's music. I've heard he's pretty good.

To be honest, I stopped listening to just about all Christian music years ago. I only listen to the songs I have to learn for church. I probably wouldn't listen to any of it if I were not on the worship team. This is one of the few reasons I even STAY on the worship team is that I HAVE to listen to some sort of Christian music. I figure it's good for me.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!

I know there's a lot of it out there, but I hoped to avoid wading through all the schlock to find the good stuff, so your suggestions are appreciated - especially Dr. Watson's (Ha!)

I find it almost painful to listen to the local "Christian Radio" station because so much of the music is, well, so much like pablum on other radio stations. It takes a couple of decades for the stuff that's worth preserving to be sifted out, and some of the best stuff never becomes popular.

I'll check out these suggestions.

By the way, I totally agree about the dangers of losing one's good old chops when you stick to only the playlist of the current worship leader.

And no, I have no objections to playing "non-Christian" stuff. As Martin Luther once said, the Christian shoemaker should not display his Christianity by putting little crosses on the shoes, but by making the best shoes he is capable of making. Words of wisdom for Christians in all fields of endeavour, not least the musicians.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
Backstreet Boys
Postmortem panty-raiders
Watso, you should be ashamed of yourself!

How could you?

Honestly!

Backstreet Boys indeed...tut tut!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Watso, you should be ashamed of yourself!

How could you?

Honestly!

Backstreet Boys indeed...tut tut!
That must have been a slip up. Obviously the Backstreet Boys are basically a Satanic church of sorts. Oh well, 'ain't nothin but a mistake'.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

Steve Fee
David Crowder
Chris Tomlin

...those are the only additional ones I can think of at the moment who can have some challenging stuff to replicate.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

Koine

https://www.youtube.com/user/KoineTheChurchBand/videos
Old 02-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That must have been a slip up. Obviously the Backstreet Boys are basically a Satanic church of sorts. Oh well, 'ain't nothin but a mistake'.
Oops!

That's my mistake then. I didn't realise they were playing church music.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Neal Morse plays Christian prog. Chris Falson is bluesy. Cyrus Chestnut and Eric Reed are Christians who play jazz. Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

I also don't care for the majority of modern CCM, but have to play a lot of it in church. Thankfully I have the luxury of playing it the way I like and am not required to mimic the drums from the originals. Same with the other players.

I really recommend Paul Clark. Especially his late 1970s and early 80s albums.
Some of the songs have a unique Jazz/Rock flavor. The closest thing I could compare it to would be something like some of Steely Dan's 70s music. But yet he sounds nothing like them. I know that sounds like I'm contradicting myself.

Here's just one example of that time period. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ5EnBtvtS8

Check out the albums...

"Change in the Wind"
"Hand to the Plow"
"Aim for the Heart"
"Drawn to the Light"

His early and mid 70s albums is more folk oriented, but I think he really shines in the period I just mentioned.

Last edited by Ruok; 02-06-2018 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:36 AM

Cory Henry - biggest name in gospel/jazz right now and other than Herbie Hancock he's probably the best keys player alive
Old 02-06-2018, 02:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Bethel Worship
Elevation Worship
Jeremy Camp
Toby Mac
Steve Fee
All sons and daughters
Carrolton

I agree Hillsong's stuff is starting to sound the same, sadly most of the stuff coming out across the board is starting to sound the same. I remember being pumped when Jeremy Camp came out with a new album, Fireflight, Casting Crowns etc. and honestly haven't been impressed with any of the new stuff they've released which saddens me a little
Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 AM

Thanks for all the recent replies - this should keep me busy for a while, but I REALLY appreciated personal recommendations.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

I have an academic familiarity with the six major Abrahamic religions, including the three that would likely be considered Christian by today's standards.

I've always enjoyed the Folk/Bluegrass infused gospel music that's out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAZpQllC9w

It has a great energy to it. A polyphonic bliss. Like a party I wish I were invited to.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
Worship music is made to be simple so that the widest variety of people can easily sing and worship to it. It ain't prog rock, that's for sure.

Around 2008 I was asked to play in a band of "school of rock" teachers for a one-night gig. The material was all my favorite 60s & 70s music. Within a day of practicing to the music, I realized I'd lost a lot of my feel & chops for the music. It was very disappointing. I began to play in bar/club bands in an effort to get back what I lost, eventually playing in several funk bands. As a Christian, why not play in clubs & bars? WWJD? He'd be jamming in the clubs!
For me as a Christian, I don't play in church at all (many good drummers in my congregation), but do my best to maintain my Christian values while playing in clubs and bars. I like the music I play better anyway & it keeps me on point with creativity.

I fully understand how worship music can be creatively stifling after a while as many of what's played sounds like the other. And if you become "That Guy" in the church band who wants to take the songs to a new rhythmic level, you get the stink eye from the others who "don't want to rock the boat".
A few drummers in my congregation have passed the sticks onto another because they felt like they weren't going anywhere musically.
In no way did their faith wane, they just didn't feel playing the music did anything for them.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Plus Cory Henry's "what a friend" has a super cool drum solo at the end
Old 02-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
Backstreet Boys
Postmortem panty-raiders
With the exception of Slayer, those are probably entirely inappropriate.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

The progressive god botherer himself Mr Neal Morse.

Get your teeth into The Door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZm5rRfEhQ

Failing that anything from Testimony or Grand Experiment would suffice.

I love his solo stuff, easily the strangest genre out there and one that's hard to top christian progressive rock.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
Backstreet Boys
Postmortem panty-raiders
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
With the exception of Slayer, those are probably entirely inappropriate.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:45 AM

I played on a praise & worship team for nearly 20 years and toward the end of my involvement, which was around 2012, most of the music sounded the same to me. Hillsong, Jesus Culture, etc.

As for mainstream Christian music, I do enjoy listening to Third Day. Some of my favorite Christian artists:
Phil Keaggy - Any, but I'm partial to 220 (instrumental album)
Gideon's Press - Bound For Nineveh (2009) This was their only release. Music has a clear Rush influence & great drumming. I dig the album. I saw them at a summer festival in my town. Amazing talent.
Dogs of Peace - Speak (1996). I LOVE this album. Clearly influenced by the Beatles and Pink Floyd. 1st rate musicianship.
Dogs of Peace - Heel (2016). Just learned of their (20 years later) follow up to Speak. I haven't heard it, but plan to buy.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM

Is this something like what you are looking for?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WoGBvtN--8

Check out the LIVE PLAYING TOO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFB58i7QP9k
Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

Check out Planetshakers. Kind of pop-ish feel good but I’d say they’ve got an eccentric sound and their arrangements are uncommon and innovative. Drummers in the modern worship community have far-reaching talent way beyond what the music calls for. Keeping it tasteful and “not about me” is where I fall in the mix myself. That is super-important for worship - both in writing and playing.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting thread. I had never really listened to any Christian music till late in life-as a post doc my mentor got really interested in Hindu mysticism and other religions, and that provoked an interest in Abrahamic religions in me-Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. After a bunch of reading I started attending church with my wife , who grew up in the church ,so I got involved with all kind of outreach and also their orchestra. The church had a huge choir and a good size orchestra with brass and strings-lot of Brooklyn tabernacle choir influence so it was popping at times. It was a mix of traditional hymns and then more big band jazzy orchestrated songs-it was a lot of fun. Anyways I don't have any suggestions but since we recently moved I found this painting I did back in 1999 or 2000. I always wanted to be an artist growing up-during 70s I wanted to create album covers-thankfully that never took lol, but I still dabble and after my Abrahamic excursion I came up with an idea for a painting symbolizing these three religions. My daughters are bone fide artist, and I grabbed a canvas and starting painting my idea for the Christian part of my opus. Sadly poor planning the size got away from me so its sort of a snap shot of part of a greater image in my mind-that I never finished obviously. The root was going to be Judaism as a sort of horn of plenty with lots of symbolism that flowed to the Christian fish part and also a flowing sky scene of crescent moon and stars for Islam on top. Anyways I thought I'd share-not evoking any religion debate just religious inspired art-as the music discussed.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the recent replies - this should keep me busy for a while, but I REALLY appreciated personal recommendations.
Back in the early 80s I listened to a lot of Koinonia: instrumental Christian jazz rock, starring a.o. Abe Laboriel and Alex Acuna. Imagine top notch players in small back street theatres, raving about their love of Christ in between laying down the coolest grooves..

Dutch
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
This question is for the many drummers on this site who listen to Christian music and/or play in church.

I'm looking for music that is outside the Hillsong genre (which I commend, but it's starting to all sound the same to me ). You folks have any favorite bands that play bluegrass, folk, funk or R&B from a Christian perspective? I'm longing for a musical change of pace. I listen to and play a wide variety of music and would like to expand my playlist.

Thanks.
Finding good Christian music is quite difficult in my opinion. Maybe I over complicate myself, but... Neal Morse is my favorite Christian artist. If you want something different tryout Planetshakers.
I normally tend to listen also other artists not necessarily Christian, but it really depends on your personality, a lot of people feel uncomfortable or believe we shouldn't listen to it.

Besides, as a composer (the mediocre composer I am) and worship drummer, I find contemporary worship going through a change of direction. If you listen to the old Hillsong back in 2008, Jesus Culture, etc. You can really hear the difference from back then. The "worship" style is becoming a bit more unique and a bit more "defined". The only big downside I find is that lyrically they start to repeat themselves so often it's not really fun anymore. Lot's of times I have heard songs that I thought they would never end because of their everlasting bridge section repeating over and over. I can understand that situation live, but on studio... hmmm..

Musically it's fairly a "simple" and straightforward style, but if I have to be honest, I believe that serving God doesn't per se have to be THAT exaggeratedly simple. As long as the focus is on Him.

PS: the drummer of Planetshakers is REALLY GOOD.