DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 08-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What got you started playing drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianLover View Post
When I was 11, my parents gave me and my brother a Nintendo Wii for Christmas, and two years later, I received Guitar Hero: World Tour for my birthday. When my family and I played it together, I normally played lead guitar, as I was taking guitar lessons at the time, and my mother played the drums. My mom would sometimes "fail out" of the songs, so I tried my luck on the drums one time, and I realized I had a knack for it. When I was 14, my instructor moved his job to the local Sam Ash, and I had my parents drop me off a half hour early so I could fool around in the drum department before my lessons each week. The following year, I accidentally cut the tip of my left index finger with my then-new Winchester clip-folding knife. My finger otherwise healed fine, but the scar was right on the place where I would press down on the guitar strings, so I had to quit taking guitar lessons. I then played even more drums in Guitar Hero, and as I became more of a confident player, I began to play harder, and I eventually broke the drum controller. My parents said that it was probably about time to get me a real set, and that Christmas, I received a 14x6 Pearl Steel Shell snare, and after playing rudiments on it for a few hours, I said "I really like this snare, but where's the rest of the set?" A month later, we bought a (heavily) used Tama Stagestar set from a church friend, and three months later, I was in a band playing "Dammit" by Blink-182 for the high school talent show in May 2011. We also played in the 2012 and 2013 talent shows, the last one being days before my high school graduation. I used the Tama set faithfully until I scored an 8-piece PDP Double Drive kit plus hardware on September 27, 2015 for $650.
That was a beautiful story, man.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:57 PM

Music-
It was summer and my father was tired of listening to the "old bad memories music", so he started listening to Pink Floyd again, he always used to listen it alone in his office... but for the first time, he was listening to it at home.
I was just 9 years old, I started liking the music and I didn't even know what band or artist was. After asking I couldn't believe I was finally listening to what I believed to be the "crazy band that only get's listened in his crazy office". Since, I loved it.

Drummer-
Still about Pink Floyd, after listening PULSE while having a great barbeque lunch that day, I said him I also wanted to listen to it. Few days after he showed up with one song he believed was "On the turning away" but turned out he didn't remember the title correctly so he found "One of these days" instead. He still showed it to me and I got obsessed with Nick Mason. Suddently I wanted to also be "Nick Mason". So guess what.. that's how it started.

Person-
After I was copletely obsessed by Pink Floyd, Gilmour and Mason, meanwhile I was getting my first band, but I was the guitarist. One day, the drummer of my band came to me with a DVD he promised I would love. That was a DVD of Mike Portnoy, Liquid Drum Theater. I watched that DVD like 20 times and was introduced to drum theory for the first time in my life.
That's how I decided I was a drummer and not a guitarist.

Style-
You probably got it. I am mostly headed towards everything that is prog, from classic to Djent. I play prog and worship, however I love other styles too. I consider myself very open minded on music genres, but I always fall back to my beloved prog.

Inspirations-
Well.. I think I have mentioned that already, however a big change after the DVD was a gig we had and I got to play drums for fun and quite some people came to me after saying I should play drums instead. LOL.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:06 PM

My Mom and Uncle both played in bands (Never together interestingly enough)so there were always instruments in our house, including a drum kit left behind for next weeks jam. My Mom taught me to play waltz before I could reach the kick drum using the floor tom and snare, while she played along on electric organ.

I'm a guitarist/ bassist who has always appreciated drummers, from Ringo Starr to Neil Peart with Roger Taylor and Brueford/White in between. ( And who's that "standing up" guy from the Brian Setzer Orchestra? WOW! )

I never took it seriously beyond noodling a bit on the kits in bands I was in, until I got MY kit at a garage sale a couple summers ago. A Ludwig "Accent" 5 piece kit with Rototoms for $100 and I figured if nothing else I could sell the Rotos for more than $100 Of course, after getting them home and seeing that not only was everything there they didn't sound half bad, I decided to keep em. My drummer friend turned me on to a set of new heads and he showed me how to install and tune them (tuning is a pain and I still suck at it) He gave me an Evans head for the kick with a foam ring

Now I'm teaching myself to play, and my own recordings have improved greatly because I can play REAL drums instead of trying to program electronic ones through Reason software. PLus, I'm semi disabled and can't work like I used to, so playing the drums (always ending with my "solo") is like a great cardio workout. I tell my wife it's cheaper than a treadmill.

I will add this...After improving my kit with some new hardware and a couple symbols, I can say with all confidence that DRUMMING IS EXPENSIVE!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

Ringo and Dennis Wilson. THEN,,,,,Keith Moon showed me how it was really done.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 AM

I grew up in a musical family. My father is a retired professor of music and my mother was a French horn player. So music was just part of life. When I was in middle school, a friend asked me if I wanted to check out a local drum and bugle corps. I joined. Had a lot of fun and then went on to join a DCI corps. Did a lot of percussion through high school and then college/career took over. About ten years ago, my son asked for a drum set for his birthday. He didn't play it much, but I did...

Since then I've worked on getting back my chops and learning a lot of new things and now play a lot of jazz gigs in the city where I live.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:25 PM

1970, elementary school "talent" show, there was a Partridge Family lip-synching skit, and I was talked into playing the part of Chris Partridge, the drummer. I guess I looked a lot like the kid in the first season of the show, but he was replaced quickly.

I got to pretend to play a drum, wearing the stupid vest and pointy-collared shirt while we pretended to sing "I Think I Love You", which was fun enough to want to take lessons and join the school bands. I still enjoy telling people the Partridge Family is one of my "influences".
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM

I wanted to start playing drums because everyone in my family played guitar. I wanted to be different so I asked for a drum set instead of a guitar in 5th grade. The rest is history!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:58 PM

I got my music bug from my mom. She had a record store when I was a kid, so she'd always have a ton of records playing at home. One day, I asked my mom for guitar lessons, and went on from there. I got pretty good at it. Joined bands, did gigs and stuff.

Last year, I bought a larger home with a full basement. After we moved in, I sat down my guitar stuff in one corner, and my bass stuff in the other, and thought to myself, "this room needs a drum set." Went out and bought a drum set with some help from my drummer friends, and that's how I got here.

Been drumming for 3 months, taking lessons, and I'm having a great time.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:39 PM

I come from a long line of musicians on both sides of my family, but I got my start in drumming from playing Guitar Hero: World Tour with my brother and my parents. I played electric guitar for two years, so naturally, I usually played lead guitar in the game, and my mom played on the drum controller. My mom was very bad with the drums, and we would frequently "fail out" of the songs because she would miss notes or hit too early. One time, after we failed out of "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World, I insisted on taking over on the drums and playing the song again, and from that day forward, I never played anything but drums when we played Guitar Hero.

After about a year of this, I got my first snare drum for Christmas of 2010, a Pearl SK900C 14x5.5 steel, and my first music books, Stick Control and Joe Morello's Master Studies II. On January 2, 2011, I bought my first drum set, a Tama Stagestar, from a friend of mine from church, and the rest is history.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:34 PM

Ok here we go then....

Music- Started getting interested in music when I was still in elementary school when my sister have a guitar and she used to play it. Also the tons of cassette tapes she plays. After that reaching high school got hook on Metallica since a classmate of mine always plays their song. From their I listen to all sorts of metal and heavy metals bands and the upcoming alternative rock music 'Nirvana". Then so on as the times goes and so are those music genre evolves, I also went with the flow.

Drummer- Lars Ulrich from Metallica. Bought all of Metallica albums and plays almost all the songs I can play at that time. So yeah the guy started it all for me to play drums.

Person- My classmate who always talk and plays Metallica songs. Also he's a drummer in a band. So everytime they have a jam session or a gig or a battle of the bands I always come and watch. His influence made me a drummer from the start

Style- Heavy Metal =) then rock song like "Bon Jovi", rock ballads songs like "journey" & the likes, alt rock "Nirvana", dance both 80's, 90's & present. some techno song like "The Chainsmokers", Reggae "some Bob Marley" & those modern reggae bands & some fusion, they call it variety so I guess variety then. As long as its not Jazz, Bossa Nova, and progressive music, still can't play those, kinda its beyond me as of now.

Inspirations- What inspires me is that, I know I'm not the best and alot of people out their is a better drummer than me, So I strive more to improve my skills and techniques. At the same time to stay humble and help those new drummers also who are struggling, like me before. My family is also a source of inspiration. My wife who is always...always supportive in my music and finally God who gave this gift of playing drums.

So that all of it =)
Old 05-09-2018, 04:15 PM

I started playing drums when i saw my friend playing it and i was really enjoying it.