DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Default Louie Bellson

We were having a concert with Louie Bellson, and I mentioned that his brush work sounded like tap dancing. He said that was a complement and started tap dancing a complete routine that ended with flying thru the air and doing a tatoo on a trash can just like Gene Kelly. Pearl Bailey was back stage and had just did Hello Dolley. I asked her if she wanted a seat in the auditorium and she said that she never stepped on Louie’s thing. They were both great people.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Louie Bellson

Louie is probably by biggest influence. Mostly for his very distinct brush playing that I attempt to imitate. He played very much of the tips of the brushes and did not bury the bush into the head during sweeps. He played brushes similar to how he played with sticks. Some drummers frown upon that and use sweeps to keep the beat, but Bellson had a distinct tap and short Single Stroke roll he used to play for fills. Also, his relationship with the hi-hat and bass drum to the brushes was spot on. So much good feel.
I play that way and it separates me from most other modern brush players. Brushes are so personal that there's not a right or wrong way to play them, even though styles and patterns can vary drastically.

— Buddy Rich