DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1081  
Old 03-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Camshaft's Avatar
Camshaft Camshaft is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Akron, Ohio USA
Posts: 73
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
I happened to find an interesting interview with Modern Drummer from Pro-Mark's Instagram which I thought was worth giving a read which it really is.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/articl...16-neil-peart/
That was a really great interview, a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing - lots of things to absorb in there.
__________________
-Cam
TAMA lover & Sound Percussion apologist.
Click here for my project/gear thread!
Reply With Quote
  #1082  
Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 PM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAYTtEKVRg

found this one from 10 years ago

2:42 to be able to come out those hihat opens and hit his 20" crash off to the left on 1
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 AM
BenjaminCamelot's Avatar
BenjaminCamelot BenjaminCamelot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 491
Default Re: Neil Peart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILxZMfFBVY

This is an absolute gem. Here he talks about Limelight and gives a lesson on how to play a section of the song during the main guitar solo. But during the clip of him playing it live in concert, his snare sound is killer. Anyways, it's worth checking this out.
__________________
Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Pro-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 06-12-2017, 04:46 PM
cerendrad's Avatar
cerendrad cerendrad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 90
Default Re: Neil Peart

I grew up near Hamilton Ontario where Neil was from. I even had a high school art teacher who was in a band with him when he was in high school, but dropped out when they wanted to start playing farther from home! LOL. Of course I worshiped Neil Peart. I took a few lessons when I was a kid from a studio drummer who lived in Hamilton at the time. This guy was an amazing drummer, had met and was friends with Neil and constantly gushed about Neil when the subject came up. He said that Neil Peart was just a all around great guy. Always happy to give out music advice and gracious to new drummers and experienced ones alike. Class act, with unbelievable work ethic, and incredible talent.
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 06-24-2017, 03:56 PM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
But during the clip of him playing it live in concert, his snare sound is killer.
listen to the rimshots at 2:31-2:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nu0FwUgAJs

fun fact, when Time Machine 2011 was recorded, Alex played his crimson Les Paul access. at this show in 2010 he was playing an iced tea burst 1957 Les Paul reissue which sounds way meaner.
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 06-24-2017, 08:14 PM
BenjaminCamelot's Avatar
BenjaminCamelot BenjaminCamelot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 491
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
listen to the rimshots at 2:31-2:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nu0FwUgAJs

fun fact, when Time Machine 2011 was recorded, Alex played his crimson Les Paul access. at this show in 2010 he was playing an iced tea burst 1957 Les Paul reissue which sounds way meaner.
Time Machine's mixing just sounds utterly unbearable to me.
__________________
Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Pro-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:34 AM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
Time Machine's mixing just sounds utterly unbearable to me.
I was there when they recorded Time Machine 2011 and it sounded fine live. Clockwork Angels Live is way worse.
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:06 PM
BenjaminCamelot's Avatar
BenjaminCamelot BenjaminCamelot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 491
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
I was there when they recorded Time Machine 2011 and it sounded fine live. Clockwork Angels Live is way worse.
Agreed. I think whoever is mixing these live albums should be fired and replaced with someone better but if you were there, I imagine it would sound better in person rather than on a CD.
__________________
Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Pro-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old 09-23-2017, 04:29 AM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii9HtURJsig

R30 kit was one of my favorites.
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 12-02-2017, 04:59 PM
iCe's Avatar
iCe iCe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 56
Default Re: Neil Peart

Bump ;)

I play with a guitar player (from a previous project) once a month and we play 2 medleys; one Dream Theater medley because of the influence it had on me and one Rush medley because the influence it had on him. I've always loved Neil's playing playing, but now to play the actual parts myself I realize how hard it is to play it properly! MP's parts in DT i can play without too much effort, because i played along with songs in the past. Rush is new for me and it's a real challenge. Love it!

La Villa Strangiato is also in the medley and i can't get enough of listening to this song! I have the Taking Center Stage dvd (got it 3 years back or so) and finally got A Work In Progress (still have to watch dvd 2). Love that once every 3 to 4 years i get inspired by a drummer and that i get a paradigm shift* playing wise.

Back to the previous comments; i got the R40 dvd and i really dislike the mixing. Also have the R30 dvd which sounds way better, but also think the recorded R40 show on the dvd lacks energy. Could be that the crowd is almost inaudible on that show, but it sounds like 'just' Rush doing their stuff at soundcheck.

*pun intended
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old 12-02-2017, 06:06 PM
BenjaminCamelot's Avatar
BenjaminCamelot BenjaminCamelot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 491
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCe View Post
Back to the previous comments; i got the R40 dvd and i really dislike the mixing. Also have the R30 dvd which sounds way better, but also think the recorded R40 show on the dvd lacks energy. Could be that the crowd is almost inaudible on that show, but it sounds like 'just' Rush doing their stuff at soundcheck.

*pun intended
I can't stand the mixing on Rush's last three live albums. I can barely hear the drums if I'm playing along to the R40 album.
__________________
Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Pro-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Nikonov's Avatar
Nikonov Nikonov is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Posts: 31
Default Re: Neil Peart

Neil Peart is very, very cool. Drummer-virtuoso.

RUSH - YYZ - drums only. NEIL PEART original drum track (HQ stereo)
https://youtu.be/TOxEBQ-EJcE

The bass player is also a virtuoso.

RASH - YYZ - ORIGINAL DRUM and BASS TRACKS (HQ stereo)
https://youtu.be/TczYXqsDFco
__________________
More videos
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old 01-20-2018, 04:03 AM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCe View Post
Bump ;)
La Villa Strangiato is also in the medley and i can't get enough of listening to this song!
best version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcRCFHVxNDs

second best version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mbYzM8axo

this ruined my day

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/alex-...asically-done/
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 01-20-2018, 04:07 AM
BenjaminCamelot's Avatar
BenjaminCamelot BenjaminCamelot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 491
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
Oh my God. I couldn't agree with you more.
__________________
Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Pro-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 01-20-2018, 05:27 PM
yammyfan yammyfan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 92
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
Oh my God. I couldn't agree with you more.
For some reason, I think they'll be back. It may not be soon but I think there's one more album in them...
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 01-21-2018, 04:51 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,254
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammyfan View Post
For some reason, I think they'll be back. It may not be soon but I think there's one more album in them...
I'm pretty sure Geddy and Alex will at some point, though I'm not sure they'll call it "Rush" as I don't think anything will get Neil to come out of retirement.
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 01-21-2018, 06:27 AM
OldReliable's Avatar
OldReliable OldReliable is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 284
Default Re: Neil Peart

I’m kinda happy in a way that Alex and Geddy are working on new projects, maybe we’ll get to see a different side of their musical abilities. Then, at least we’ll have something “kinda like Rush” instead of them all retiring and never hearing these great musicians play again.
__________________
'18 Ludwig Club Date-14x20 BD 14x14 FT 8x12 RT '13 Tama Silverstar-18x22 BD 14x16 FT 8x12 RT
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Nikonov's Avatar
Nikonov Nikonov is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Russia, Moscow
Posts: 31
Default Re: Neil Peart

RUSH - The Spirit of Radio (Live). NEIL PEART original drum track.
https://youtu.be/Q0SV682Ez2c
__________________
More videos
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM
LeftySlammer92 LeftySlammer92 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 55
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldReliable View Post
I’m kinda happy in a way that Alex and Geddy are working on new projects, maybe we’ll get to see a different side of their musical abilities. Then, at least we’ll have something “kinda like Rush” instead of them all retiring and never hearing these great musicians play again.
Alex basically just said a day or so ago that Rush is done for good. Hopefully those two will do an album together. It'd be cool if there were no drums on it too.
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 01-26-2018, 01:41 AM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

No disrespect to Neil, but did he ever look happy to be playing?

As opposed to this guy

__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1101  
Old 01-26-2018, 01:58 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: No longer in North Idaho
Posts: 5,158
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
No disrespect to Neil, but did he ever look happy to be playing?

As opposed to this guy

He's actually joked about that. His mom asked him about it, and he said something like, "But Mom! I'm working hard!"

He'd often smile or laugh when they were goofing off.
Reply With Quote
  #1102  
Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 AM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
He's actually joked about that. His mom asked him about it, and he said something like, "But Mom! I'm working hard!"

He'd often smile or laugh when they were goofing off.
getting too old for DMB but I shouldn't turn down the chance to see him this summer.

wish DMB had Rush's fanbase.
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1103  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 317
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
In my experience, drums move like that when there's a bit too much give in the flooring, regardless of how hard you hit. If he doesn't dent or break heads (as someone claimed) the flooring of the riser/stage may be a factor.

Neil was my first favourite drummer. I love how well he scripts his fills but I kinda don't like that he never varies from the script. Can you imagine playing the same song for 30 years and never coming up with an improvement on what you played in the original recording? That's unusual, but he's one of the greats to me.
Exactly. Neil's platform,is on some electric motor gear track (The drum techs use to turn by hand). So the platform is not exactly concrete stable. Plus, the fact that most of the stands are threaded into the platform and do not have actual legs. Neil plays hard, but theres finesse/touch which is why he does not break many cymbals or heads.
Reply With Quote
  #1104  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: No longer in North Idaho
Posts: 5,158
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
getting too old for DMB but I shouldn't turn down the chance to see him this summer.

wish DMB had Rush's fanbase.
Too old for DMB?? Unless you're confined to a hospital bed on oxygen or something, you aren't too old for DMB! Get out there, man. You never know when your last chance to see someone will be.

That applies in so many areas of life!
Reply With Quote
  #1105  
Old 02-24-2018, 08:10 PM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Too old for DMB??
the crowd stays the same age, I keep getting older. seen them 33 times and heard every song I've ever wanted to hear. they can only play Warehouse so many years in a row at Blossom.

Carter never ceases to amaze me but I'm not crazy about how the band's sound has changed.

I need to go see Tool, seeing Danny would be the next best thing to seeing Neil.
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1106  
Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 AM
Tony Trout's Avatar
Tony Trout Tony Trout is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
Posts: 112
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
Alex basically just said a day or so ago that Rush is done for good. Hopefully those two will do an album together. It'd be cool if there were no drums on it too.

I really hated to see Rush stop touring because I had just gotten into listening to them after finding how great of a drummer that Peart is!!!! His drum kits through the later years of RUSH were absolutely mind-blowing and must have taken many hours to assemble!!!!

Other than Ronnie Tutt, Neil Peart runs a very close second as my #1 favorite drummer.
__________________
Phil. 4:13; Jer. 29:11
Reply With Quote
  #1107  
Old 02-25-2018, 04:54 PM
jimzo jimzo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 153
Default Re: Neil Peart

$49.99? Although this does not make one play better, I might have GAS lol

Reply With Quote
  #1108  
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 AM
Sticks Of Fury Sticks Of Fury is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 107
Default Re: Neil Peart

here is my two cents about neil peart. he's one of the best rock drummers ever. i give him a 10 on drums. good lyric writer, too. i don't think he's overrated. there are better drummers out there than him, but he was real unique and special. peart was good on the cowbell, ride, 16th notes high hat stuff, odd time, really good double bass, good on the cymbals, some fast, proggy/fusiony fills. good on the snare with snare rolls. really good soloist, too. i don't care for the electronic drums on his kit. his drum solo on the exit stage left live album is probably one of the best drum solos ever, in my opinion. the only knock on him would be that he's not really that funky or soulful or swinging and a lot of his drum parts were too rehearsed and perfect. i don't think he would have fit in any other rock band. he was perfect for rush, like moon was perfect for the who. i also never liked the sound of his dw kits. it sounded too wimpy. his two old slingerland kits in the 70's and his first tama superstar kit sounded better. peart was kind of like eddie van halen. you were just waiting for the next wacky, impossible part they could pull off.
Reply With Quote
  #1109  
Old 03-14-2018, 01:20 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 317
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks Of Fury View Post
here is my two cents about neil peart. he's one of the best rock drummers ever. i give him a 10 on drums. good lyric writer, too. i don't think he's overrated. there are better drummers out there than him, but he was real unique and special. peart was good on the cowbell, ride, 16th notes high hat stuff, odd time, really good double bass, good on the cymbals, some fast, proggy/fusiony fills. good on the snare with snare rolls. really good soloist, too. i don't care for the electronic drums on his kit. his drum solo on the exit stage left live album is probably one of the best drum solos ever, in my opinion. the only knock on him would be that he's not really that funky or soulful or swinging and a lot of his drum parts were too rehearsed and perfect. i don't think he would have fit in any other rock band. he was perfect for rush, like moon was perfect for the who. i also never liked the sound of his dw kits. it sounded too wimpy. his two old slingerland kits in the 70's and his first tama superstar kit sounded better. peart was kind of like eddie van halen. you were just waiting for the next wacky, impossible part they could pull off.
I think the first red sparkle was the best of the DW's. Maybe its the plain ambassador heads vs the funky DW damped-strip thingy heads. Also, I think Neil started sticking to the John Good timbre note thing that is stamped inside the drum. I just find the sweet spot and go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #1110  
Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 PM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TUn3xC3VPg

3:51 his best cowbell/electronic marimba work

the electronic solos, while technically difficult, were the most boring part of a Rush concert and I was happy to see him forgo any of them for R40.

Time Machine was my favorite kit, all the drums just worked together, R40 had thundering lows and not much definition or high end, Snakes and Arrows kit had beautiful mid toms, R30 again had some mean 16 and 18 inch toms. I know both R40 kits were sentimental to Neil and looked amazing. all I know about the Vapor Trails kit was that the crowd cheered as a sign of respect to Neil when the roadies pulled the tarp off at the Hartford 2002 show, his first show back.
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1111  
Old 04-26-2018, 01:17 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 317
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TUn3xC3VPg

3:51 his best cowbell/electronic marimba work

the electronic solos, while technically difficult, were the most boring part of a Rush concert and I was happy to see him forgo any of them for R40.

Time Machine was my favorite kit, all the drums just worked together, R40 had thundering lows and not much definition or high end, Snakes and Arrows kit had beautiful mid toms, R30 again had some mean 16 and 18 inch toms. I know both R40 kits were sentimental to Neil and looked amazing. all I know about the Vapor Trails kit was that the crowd cheered as a sign of respect to Neil when the roadies pulled the tarp off at the Hartford 2002 show, his first show back.
I agree about the R40 kit. Especially, the retro kit. The concert toms did not cut thru at all. I believe it was tuning. I know the drums were one offs off some exotic wood buried in a lake somewhere, however, I'm sure they could be tuned to cut thru.
Reply With Quote
  #1112  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Percussionplayer's Avatar
Percussionplayer Percussionplayer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 30
Default Re: Neil Peart

All right, I'm getting in this action with my two-pennies worth on the subject matter. Let me start by laying the foundation of that I have seen RUSH live in concert on various tours, and that I own a great deal of their music that has been spread out over the course of many decades.

With that said, each period/release has its own gems that shine brilliantly-both musically & equipment[drum kit]wise. But for me personally, the year of 1982, saw as far as I am concerned, the greatest collection of songs assembled and, the ultimate pinnacle of sounds being brought to life by none other then the TAMA CAR drum kit.

Composition wise, the songs on Signals are absolutely stellar! Not a bad cut on the record. Lyrically?...C'mon man, think about some of those lines that were written - "The boy pulls down his baseball cap and covers up his eyes." To this day, I am STILL dreaming, and think about that song every time I wear a ball cap. Subdivisions, Digital Man, Losing It, The Weapon, Countdown, etc, etc, the list is endless.

As for the drums, Those TAMA's sounded the way drums should sound. How about those wooden timbales huh? The crack & whack of those puppies when first heard, instantly captivated me when they where struck. The Zildjian cymbals, just delicious in splendor & delivery. The overall look of the kit, well you know.

I'm sure Neil's DW drum kit sounds nice and all, but each time when I saw him perform live with it/them, I was not too overly impressed by them. Recording wise, the same. Maybe it was just shoddy mixing or soundboard work, but those kits never produced such sounds like the CAR kit did.

Gone, but NOT ever forgotten. The TAMA car kit & Zildjian connection, as well as the Boogie Nights moustache.


Last edited by Percussionplayer; 04-27-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1113  
Old 04-27-2018, 05:24 PM
J-Boogie J-Boogie is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 863
Default Re: Neil Peart

Gosh I thought that was Alex Van Halen at first. Nice throwback Percplayer, haven't thought about some of those songs you listed in years, memories of a happy youth!!
Reply With Quote
  #1114  
Old 05-04-2018, 02:57 AM
carterbeauford's Avatar
carterbeauford carterbeauford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 57
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percussionplayer View Post
As for the drums, Those TAMA's sounded the way drums should sound.
Le Studio made good instruments sound great.
__________________
17" K dark medium thin crash
19" A ultra hammered china
pair of Promark 747s
no drums
Reply With Quote
  #1115  
Old 05-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Percussionplayer's Avatar
Percussionplayer Percussionplayer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 30
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
Le Studio made good instruments sound great.
Yeah, no doubt about it! Visually, the music videos made there as well always looked pretty cool too.
Reply With Quote
  #1116  
Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 PM
supermac's Avatar
supermac supermac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 421
Default Re: Neil Peart

Love Rush. Love NP. For me, 1980 to 1984 was their golden era.
For a young drummer starting out, the playing was a revelation.
Neil never played or sounded better than he did in the early 1980s.
Saw him playing these Tama drums 'in the flesh' at Wembley Arena, London, in 1983.
Will never forget the experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percussionplayer View Post
All right, I'm getting in this action with my two-pennies worth on the subject matter. Let me start by laying the foundation of that I have seen RUSH live in concert on various tours, and that I own a great deal of their music that has been spread out over the course of many decades.

With that said, each period/release has its own gems that shine brilliantly-both musically & equipment[drum kit]wise. But for me personally, the year of 1982, saw as far as I am concerned, the greatest collection of songs assembled and, the ultimate pinnacle of sounds being brought to life by none other then the TAMA CAR drum kit.

Composition wise, the songs on Signals are absolutely stellar! Not a bad cut on the record. Lyrically?...C'mon man, think about some of those lines that were written - "The boy pulls down his baseball cap and covers up his eyes." To this day, I am STILL dreaming, and think about that song every time I wear a ball cap. Subdivisions, Digital Man, Losing It, The Weapon, Countdown, etc, etc, the list is endless.

As for the drums, Those TAMA's sounded the way drums should sound. How about those wooden timbales huh? The crack & whack of those puppies when first heard, instantly captivated me when they where struck. The Zildjian cymbals, just delicious in splendor & delivery. The overall look of the kit, well you know.

I'm sure Neil's DW drum kit sounds nice and all, but each time when I saw him perform live with it/them, I was not too overly impressed by them. Recording wise, the same. Maybe it was just shoddy mixing or soundboard work, but those kits never produced such sounds like the CAR kit did.

Gone, but NOT ever forgotten. The TAMA car kit & Zildjian connection, as well as the Boogie Nights moustache.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1117  
Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 AM
CommanderRoss's Avatar
CommanderRoss CommanderRoss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 443
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
Exactly. Neil's platform,is on some electric motor gear track (The drum techs used to turn by hand). So the platform is not exactly concrete stable. Plus, the fact that most of the stands are threaded into the platform and do not have actual legs. Neil plays hard, but theres finesse/touch which is why he does not break many cymbals or heads.
It comes apart in 2 halves (you can see Gump set it all up in the Anatomy of a drum Solo DVD).
As it's a plywood platform on a wooden frame (must be heavy as hell) with threaded stands, things shake a lot.
I for one would find all that movement irritating to say the least, but he makes it work for sure!

I'm 100% positive Geddy & Alex will still do music. Neil with his new daughter & drum related issues is just done with the marathon level stuff. I'm sure he'll still do clinics & product reviews, but touring is out for sure.

I can't say I've liked any live recording mix after R30. The shows were great live, but they just never captured that energy on the disc.
__________________
"You're never fired, you're just not asked to do the next thing". -Liberty DeVitto
Reply With Quote
  #1118  
Old 05-12-2018, 12:58 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 317
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post

I can't say I've liked any live recording mix after R30. The shows were great live, but they just never captured that energy on the disc.
I have to agree. I believe Alex is generally in charge mixing the live shows for release. Everything sounds so compressed. The sound in the area is fine (I've seen all the recent tours in person).
Reply With Quote
  #1119  
Old 05-24-2018, 10:29 PM
loveawake.ru loveawake.ru is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
Default Neil Peart

nabavio sam rush in rio koncert i ostao zapanjen kako se peart nekako kruto drzi pri svirci
Reply With Quote
  #1120  
Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 PM
MasterBlaster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You took the words right outta my mouth!

What IS this sorcery???
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com