DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Default Let Them Ring To Sing

I tend to agree with Mr. Phillips on this however I find when in a small and lively environment I automatically go the gels or in some cases e -rings.

https://youtu.be/LYrvL67PGRw

Better for the music to work on dynamics and control as I am getting sick of the thuddy sound; I also really am tired of reverb on vocals but that is another story. I always like the sound of Graham Edge's sound on the early recordings (Moody Blues) and recently I watched a rare and old video clip of The Moody's live in a Paris tavern and low and behold there was the sound; and there was the kit; dead simple 3 piece, one cymbal and nary a piece of tape or what ever on the drums. This all fits in with the songwriter/performer I am working with now as he really likes plenty of space in his songs

Last edited by Bruce M. Thomson; 02-02-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Let Them Ring To Sing

My drums stay wide open until a sound guy asks me to mute them. I've only ever had that request for my snare though.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:32 AM

I suppose it depends on whether you're playing live or recording. When I gig, I tend to tune a bit higher and leave the drums wide open. I find the sounds carries more and the overtones just blend in with the band. Recording, IMO, is a different story. The microphones pick up everything, warts and all. In this case I tend to add a sliver of moon gel or an o-ring.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Mr. Phillips. I let my drums sing out with no dampening.
However, when the guitars get dampened or they go acoustic, then I will dampen my drums a little. For example I played a house party recently.
They had removed the large table and the band was in the dinning room. The guitars were electric but turned way down. I used my dampening rings.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Only the snare gets the muffling. Either the internal dampener, a gel or the use of my Big Fat Snare Drum pad are the only things I use.
I use the Evans Hydraulics on the toms, so ringing is never an issue. They're wide open and tuned to sing.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM

I always have rings for the snare to be ready and regularly use the smallest one and I have moon gel that is old as hell now as I never use it. I leave everything but the snare wide open. Bass has some internal muffling but I can't remember ever putting anything on my toms, ever.

Snares are obviously funny depending on stage setup etc. and having a way to cut any ringing down is prudent, like when they make the bassist put his cabinet bhind me or right friggin' next to me, which is lovely for ensuring your snare reacts to everything he plays.

I'm a wide open tom kinda guy......I paid for good drums, tuned them well and they don't cause an issue in any way.....wide open it goes
Old 02-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

It all depends on the sound you want. If you want your drums to sound like Simon Phillips drums, then use his method. If you want your drums to sound heavy and have short notes with lots of attack, tune them for that. If you want a jazz sound, tune them for that. If you want a Beatles sound, tune them for that and break out the tea towels. Yada, yada, yada.

Suffice it to say, there is no "one way" to tune your drums. This method works for Simon, and perhaps for you, but it doesn't work for every style, for every room, for every recording session, etc.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

I love my kit wide open and more importantly well tuned. They sound and feel so much better that way.

No fancy heads. Some kits like clear, some coated

If I am playing in a real shitty room or you've got the venue that wants bands but can't grasp the concept of the noise that comes with them then I have some moongel.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

I always let the toms ring. I use a slightly muffled head for the snare batter (Evans Genera) and the bass drum (EQ3 batter, EQ1 resonant). That is my sound. Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:15 PM

I like to run everything wide open.
And, I should also mention that I'm not gigging currently.