DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:20 PM

Default Upcoming gig

I'm doing a gig and I need to select some rock songs. I'm obviously the drummer and I need to choose something that is fun for all of the band (Me, bass, guitar, vocal, keyboard).

The concert/gig will take place in an open venue and the audience will probably be a mix of kids, parents and senior citizens.

We want to make the best of it so it will be a memorable experience for all of us, but we're stuck on the songs. The band selected me to choose some of the songs we'll be playing so I'm thinking. What are some fun, catchy and not too hard rock songs?

The band doesn't like really simple songs like AC/DC tracks.

I thought of Rush-Limelight or Tom Sawyer since they have catchy tunes and are really fun to play, but I don't think we're that advanced. I can't use a double kick since I never really learned how and I don't have one. It'll be pointless to get a cheap double kick pedal just for 1 gig, and I don't do really "heavy" stuff that requires one. Also Limelight has that ending that is really hard to do on a single pedal so I'll have to invent something if we end up playing that. Tom Sawyer is quite a workout since it's almost constant 16th notes for the entire song. (Also don't have enough toms)

Do you think things like Hotel California, Rock and Roll(LZ), Crazy Train or Can't Stop(RHCP) will be good songs?

I NEED SUGGESTIONS

It would be really cool and fun to play Painkiller but... double bass.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Upcoming gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Frigursson View Post
I'm doing a gig and I need to select some rock songs. I'm obviously the drummer and I need to choose something that is fun for all of the band (Me, bass, guitar, vocal, keyboard).

The concert/gig will take place in an open venue and the audience will probably be a mix of kids, parents and senior citizens.

We want to make the best of it so it will be a memorable experience for all of us, but we're stuck on the songs. The band selected me to choose some of the songs we'll be playing so I'm thinking. What are some fun, catchy and not too hard rock songs?
Is the band brand new to playing together? How long do you have to prepare?

With the type of venue and audience you've specified, classic rock is always a crowd pleaser and is typically not too hard to manage for any one player. There's also tons of tutorials and chord charts online for these songs. Choose however many you need (Stones, Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc) and hash them out.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

So we have to pick out your kit and the songs your band plays? I kid, I kid.

Song selection depends on the talent level of the band. Some of tunes are rather complicated for a beginner band. Vocals on Hotel, AC/DC, Rush, and Led Zep are not for the faint of heart, not to mention the instrumentation.

What kind of stuff do you and your band practice? How do you have a gig but no tunes?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:01 PM

Mr. Frigursson,
Excellent selections! In addition I would add Yes Fragile, Genisus The
Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Return to Forever The Romantic Warrior.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
So we have to pick out your kit and the songs your band plays? I kid, I kid.

Song selection depends on the talent level of the band. Some of tunes are rather complicated for a beginner band. Vocals on Hotel, AC/DC, Rush, and Led Zep are not for the faint of heart, not to mention the instrumentation.

What kind of stuff do you and your band practice? How do you have a gig but no tunes?
Thanks for the great criticism. Are you always that kind of person that brings up old events to shit on people?

Yes, we're a beginner band. I know these songs are hard but it's better to at least try some rehearsals no?

No, I'm not asking you to choose my kit and songs to play. Is "advice" such a hard word to understand? If you ask for "life advice" you don't ask someone to live your life for you. Seriously, stop being so negative about a misleading thread. I guess you never messed up anything in your life.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
Mr. Frigursson,
Excellent selections! In addition I would add Yes Fragile, Genisus The
Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Return to Forever The Romantic Warrior.
I'll take these into consideration.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the great criticism. Are you always that kind of person that brings up old events to shit on people?

Yes, we're a beginner band. I know these songs are hard but it's better to at least try some rehearsals no?

No, I'm not asking you to choose my kit and songs to play. Is "advice" such a hard word to understand? If you ask for "life advice" you don't ask someone to live your life for you. Seriously, stop being so negative about a misleading thread. I guess you never messed up anything in your life.
You are out of line. Calm down and come back later, because no one is going to help you with this attitude.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
You are out of line. Calm down and come back later, because no one is going to help you with this attitude.
Sorry man, had some confusion in another post and some people just can't get over a bad post.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:43 AM

As a beginners band, choose simple 3 chord classic rock tunes that you can play well and the audience will enjoy. Anything more complicated and the show will go poorly and you won't be invited back.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:54 AM

Mustang Sally!.....There, I said it.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 01-26-2018, 01:53 AM

Here are some songs my 10 year old is working on at the local School of Rock:

We got the beat
Smoke on the water
You really got me
Blitzkrieg bop
Johnny B Goode
Hound dog
Come together
Sunshine of your love
Should I stay or should I go
Satisfaction

They are all good crowd pleasers, and if they're deemed easy enough for 10 year olds you should be ok.

Regardless of what you personally think of prog, i think its not what the general public usually wants to hear unless you are billed as a rush/genesis/yes/whatever tribute band and they've specifically come expecting that. Just my $0.02
Old 01-26-2018, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Sorry Fritz I really want to help you, and I believe I have done already with some objective advice, but there comes a point when you have to go it alone.
I donít know you so I donít know what your ability or influences are, your question is just too big!
And if this setlist scenatio is the case then why is it down to only one member of the band to pick the set? There are 5 Of you, pick your two favourite songs each and thereís ten songs. And surely the other members of the band have practiced and played something in other bands or their bedrooms or with a teacher before this point? That has to be starting point.
I was in two minds as to whether I should even post because tbh if this had been your very first post Iíd have marked it down as a troll and moved on.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolwich View Post
Sorry Fritz I really want to help you, and I believe I have done already with some objective advice, but there comes a point when you have to go it alone.
I donít know you so I donít know what your ability or influences are, your question is just too big!
And if this setlist scenatio is the case then why is it down to only one member of the band to pick the set? There are 5 Of you, pick your two favourite songs each and thereís ten songs. And surely the other members of the band have practiced and played something in other bands or their bedrooms or with a teacher before this point? That has to be starting point.
I was in two minds as to whether I should even post because tbh if this had been your very first post Iíd have marked it down as a troll and moved on.
That's still a good advice. Thanks man
Old 01-26-2018, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

If there are parents, kids, and senior citizens there, and you are playing with a relatively young band, I think simplicity and fun should be the key.

My advice would be to get in touch with a person who plays wedding receptions to see what seems to be the best, most fun songs they do, and possibly look at what gets the best crowd reactions as well. Play stuff that was over-played in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s.

I did some googling, but I didn't really find a list that "feels" right to me; however, I'd get in touch with a wedding band to see what they do. I'm sure there's some more folks on here that will chime up. Sorry I couldn't be more help with particular songs! :) Let us know how the gig goes!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

"All Along the Watchtower"
"Mustang Sally"
"Call Me the Breeze"
"Simple Man"
"Smoke on the Water"
"Superstition"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

People have always liked those when we have played them. Peace and goodwill.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The band doesn't like...

I NEED SUGGESTIONS
I suggest you change your/your band's focus.

If you want a successful gig, you need to play stuff that your audience likes.

With the prospective audience that you describe, you have a conflict with what your band likes and what your audience likes. Audiences want to be entertained, not educated. Give 'em what they want, and they will lap it up.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:55 PM

In your situation, song choice should be led by the singer.

If the singer can sell the song, 90% of the audience wonít care what the guitars, bass or drums are playing as long as itís in tune and in time.

If the singer isnít comfortable with the song, it wonít matter how faithfully the rest of you recreate the original, the audience reaction will be ďmehĒ.

Also, I think you need to re-read the post by ineedaclutch - thereís no malice there.