DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Hypocrisy....owning up

This is being said tongue in cheek and also choking on humble pie.

After the many years of loathing any kit made by Pearl, I've done the unthinkable. Bought a Pearl kit.

It's nothing special just a midtown. I've been after a small kit for the weddings that I can mic up if need be and out of all of em the Pearl was the most bang for the buck and for £350 brand new it was cheaper than the questlove kit/sakae pac-d and is sturdier than the Odery café kit.

I still really want that little walnut Guru that Andy showed me in Manchester but I'd never gig it for fear of some idiot getting behind it in the break and that happened again on Saturday!

I'm in for a lot of stick from the band, friends, family, wife. I feel dirty something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhBr0lPNuuU
Old 11-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hypocrisy....owning up

Nothing wrong with going to Pearl. They make good tools too. I’m surprised it was cheaper than the Questlove kit because I think it’s built much better.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Nothing wrong with going to Pearl. They make good tools too. I’m surprised it was cheaper than the Questlove kit because I think it’s built much better.
Had bad experiences with exports growing up :)

I thought the same with the questlove not the best build quality I've seen at all, not sure if it has something to do with the dollar to pound exchange rate being bad for the Brits. Or whether it's because he put his name to it.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Good for you for admitting the error of your ways. However, I really would not call that hypocrisy. That's be something like buying a new kit every 3 weeks and then praising drummers that have owned the same kit since the 60's.

I used to say "I will never own XYZ drums" where XYZ was usually DW or Joyful Noise. I don't think I will ever own a set/snare because they're pretty pricey and tend to retain their value on the used market but I don't know that for certain. Maybe I'll find a screaming deal at a pawn shop in some creepy part of town one day? Maybe I'll find a deal that is just too good to pass up? I know how I am and I'm usually on a good deal like stink on a monkey.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 11-01-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Had bad experiences with exports growing up :)

I thought the same with the questlove not the best build quality I've seen at all, not sure if it has something to do with the dollar to pound exchange rate being bad for the Brits. Or whether it's because he put his name to it.

It's crazy to think how many exports Pearl sold. So many that the first thing people think when they see a Pearl kit is "export".
Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

My first kit was a Pearl and it had the double tree, hollow rod mounts that went into the shell. I could never get a comfortable tom position on that thing. I'm convinced its why we all had ridiculous tom angles in the 80's. There was just no logical way to get flat toms with those mounts.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
My first kit was a Pearl and it had the double tree, hollow rod mounts that went into the shell. I could never get a comfortable tom position on that thing. I'm convinced its why we all had ridiculous tom angles in the 80's. There was just no logical way to get flat toms with those mounts.
Well, yeah, that and the toms were 2-3 inches deeper than they should have been. Damn power toms, never could get those how I wanted them.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 PM

I've been member of the Pearl Forum for nearly 13 years, but I've only owned one Pearl snare and three cymbal stands. The cymbal stands were purchased all at once and they all crapped out within a month of each other, which was infuriating. They lasted about six years. The snare was a gift and is an excellent drum. It's a 14x6.5 brass Free Floater.

In my opinion, every iteration of mounting hardware on their drums is hideous, and I've always associated them with Exports above anything else. I realize they offer a hell of a lot more than Exports, but I can't help but feel that if I want that character-free studio drum sound they pride themselves on I'll just use the drum setting on a keyboard.

So basically, I really have no good reason not to like Pearl, but I really have no desire to try their gear or drums in the future.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Bones View Post
It's crazy to think how many exports Pearl sold. So many that the first thing people think when they see a Pearl kit is "export".
Being a child growing up in the 90s, my school had one.

When I started getting into bands, every practice studio had them and probably still does.

All the same, battered up heads, awful tom mounts, stripped out hardware and power toms at ridiculous angles!

Fair play to them they found an untapped corner in the market and saturated it.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

I recently got myself a Pearl set and I'm very pleased with the build and sound.
The tom mounts are great because they're not the cheap geared variety. they're very stable and strong and won't get bumped out of place like an L rod style.
The shells are impressive. They now know how to make a really well made ply shell. they're very different from the old days.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
After the many years of loathing any kit made by Pearl, I've done the unthinkable. Bought a Pearl kit.
Nothing wrong with playing a Pearl... Having your picture taken playing a Pearl is an entirely different story.

You can always tell people you were playing in a KISS tribute band or something.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Nothing wrong with playing a Pearl... Having your picture taken playing a Pearl is an entirely different story.
I'll make sure we play in a lot of poorly lit venues :)

It's gonna be my main gigging kit. The old Ludwig is being kept for special occasions along with the Richmo.

Looking forward to having something nice and compact that will take up hardly any room on stage or in the car.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

The new toy arrived on Friday so I had chance to give it a test drive that evening. Feels strange getting a cheap drum kit after years of playing higher end custom and vintage kits.

Unboxing and assembly are an absolute doddle (15 mins). Memory locks either end of the tom arm and bass drum riser will make life on the road easier.

Bearing edges are 45 very slightly rounded. Wood is poplar (standard for price point)

Kit is very easy to tune. Bonus is that you can tune the bass drum whilst it's set up thanks to the raiser.

The snare is surprisingly sensitive for the price range.

Sound wise, I own better sounding kits and snares but I got this for practicality. Like all small kits they seem to be more fun to play and I don't ever want to know why!

What has impressed me most is how solid it feels. From the pic I've mounted my ride from the bass drum no problem.

Main issues I have are the heads on the toms which aren't great and make them sound a bit barky but for a £350 kit it's the least of my worries and will cost about £25 to sort out.

I may have to port the bass drum for close micing but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'm getting concerned that I'm only one step away from cocktail kit territory!
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats! May it give you years of musical joy! Peace and goodwill.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Like all small kits they seem to be more fun to play and I don't ever want to know why!
Neither do I! These tiny kits are too much fun! Enjoy it.

Quote:
I may have to port the bass drum for close micing but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
If you do, an Aquarian Regulator is a good reso head for a tiny kick. With a PS3 batter it sounds much bigger than it is.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

I just came back from a music store and they had a Midtown on the floor. I thought it looked really nice though I didn't play it. Was kinda tempted to buy one even though I really don't need it. Enjoy!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I'm with you on this. First kit was a set of silver Exports in the "Power tom" sizes. Got them positioned more or less how I liked, but then again, this was the mid 80's where everything was up high in weird angles.

Glad those days are over.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Being a child growing up in the 90s, my school had one.

When I started getting into bands, every practice studio had them and probably still does.

All the same, battered up heads, awful tom mounts, stripped out hardware and power toms at ridiculous angles!

Fair play to them they found an untapped corner in the market and saturated it.
Same for me. Still had the bias until I saw my buddy's Pearl kit.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:48 PM

Hey for the money invested, it solves your need, sounds reasonably good, is easy to move around from a logistics standpoint and if it gets dinged up, you don't sweat it.

And at the end of the day, we all know after miking etc. the lines between a $3000 kit and a cheap cocktail kit starts to blur assuming everyone knows what they are doing.......
Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
My experience exactly. I owned a Pearl kit that was even cheaper than Exports, if you can believe that. Had 'em for over twenty years, sold them less than six months ago.

Absolutely terrible kit - couldn't tune the thing worth a damn and those awkward tom angles - I swear they stunted my development. I've made more progress in a year on my Yamaha Stage Customs than I had in the previous ten with the Pearls.

That said - I liked the wrap :) Stainless Steel I guess you'd call it.

OP - those look like nice drums! I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Pearl kit today. I bought a Pearl Modern Utility snare a few days ago and it's easily the best sounding snare I've ever played.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2018, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammyfan View Post
My experience exactly. I owned a Pearl kit that was even cheaper than Exports, if you can believe that. Had 'em for over twenty years, sold them less than six months ago.

Absolutely terrible kit - couldn't tune the thing worth a damn and those awkward tom angles - I swear they stunted my development. I've made more progress in a year on my Yamaha Stage Customs than I had in the previous ten with the Pearls.

That said - I liked the wrap :) Stainless Steel I guess you'd call it.

OP - those look like nice drums! I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Pearl kit today. I bought a Pearl Modern Utility snare a few days ago and it's easily the best sounding snare I've ever played.
What was wrong with those tom angles? That looks about right.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:50 PM

I played an Export for years in the "chrome" looked very similar to that....

12/13/16/22 and I had a 10" tom as well......the shells were made of like compressed sawdust and the tom mounts looked like something out of the Home Depot plumbing department.....

Got the job done, hell I opened for Soul Asylum and Hootie back in the day with that friggin' Export.....lol

Regarding tom angles......on those you had "THE" position that allowed you to hit the head vs. the rim....that was it......toms were so deep and mounts so....well....so not good that you were limited to say the least
Old 01-23-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
What was wrong with those tom angles? That looks about right.
I'm 5'7" so it was never very easy for me to get over top of those drums. The rack tom rims were about 8" higher than the snare, if I recall correctly. My fills didn't have much fluidity to them on that kit, acknowledging that old chestnut about a carpenter blaming his tools ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River19 View Post
I played an Export for years in the "chrome" looked very similar to that....

12/13/16/22 and I had a 10" tom as well......the shells were made of like compressed sawdust and the tom mounts looked like something out of the Home Depot plumbing department.....

Got the job done, hell I opened for Soul Asylum and Hootie back in the day with that friggin' Export.....lol

Regarding tom angles......on those you had "THE" position that allowed you to hit the head vs. the rim....that was it......toms were so deep and mounts so....well....so not good that you were limited to say the least
You're absolutely right about THE angle. I dreaded taking those drums apart and moving them. There was no memory anything about that hardware; it was an adventure every time I had to put it back together.

Very cool for you to have opened for those bands, BTW. You must have been with a good bunch of guys at the time.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

The dreaded tom angle has more to do with the depth of power toms that were coincident with the introduction of the Pearl Export than it has to do with the Pearl L Arm Mount.
There’s a newish Export in the rehearsal rooms that we use and I regularly need to adjust the toms “properly”. By lifting the vertical tube as high as it will go then ustilising the angle at the elbow of the pipes, the depth of smaller pipe going into the drum mount, and the ‘swivel’of the tom around the smaller pipe. I can then lower the pipe into the bass drum and get toms positioned sensibly and solidly exactly where I need them. Many’s the time I walk in to see only an inch or two of the upright on view and the toms sticking out sideways.
In fact with my last Premier kit and current Mapex kit I played around with the ball and sockets and found that by putting the L rods in the ‘wrong’ place and experimenting with how I placed the tom onto the rods I ended up getting the perfect position.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cheers man, a couple of months on and with a few gigs under its belt it paid for itself after 1 and a bit gigs and has made the setup and teardown quicker than it already was.

Obviously if you need higher end drums get them, I'm not selling any of mine! For me this is perfect.

I have to admit the modern utility 14x8 maple is very tempting.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I'm 5'7" so it was never very easy for me to get over top of those drums. The rack tom rims were about 8" higher than the snare, if I recall correctly. My fills didn't have much fluidity to them on that kit, acknowledging that old chestnut about a carpenter blaming his tools ;)

You're absolutely right about THE angle. I dreaded taking those drums apart and moving them. There was no memory anything about that hardware; it was an adventure every time I had to put it back together.

Very cool for you to have opened for those bands, BTW. You must have been with a good bunch of guys at the time.
I remember the 80s Export I had had basic memory locks but they just helped keep them in position. This new cocktail kit by the OP looks like leaps and bounds above that.

As far as that old band, it was a fantastic college cover band with a few solid originals. Right place right time on a few gigs like that, a few "battle of the bands" wins for opening slots etc.

At the time Hootie had only their first single out and Soul was on the back 9 of their "Runaway Train" fame......
Old 01-24-2018, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

I own a Pearl Masters snare that I love, but that's the only Pearl drum I'll ever own. They make good drums, but I absolutely hate their tom mounts. The only way I'd own another Pearl set is if I mounted the rack tom on a snare stand or if I could fit them with more traditional RIMS-type mounts.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I own a Pearl Masters snare that I love, but that's the only Pearl drum I'll ever own. They make good drums, but I absolutely hate their tom mounts. The only way I'd own another Pearl set is if I mounted the rack tom on a snare stand or if I could fit them with more traditional RIMS-type mounts.
For me, the Yamaha YESS mount has been a revelation. Moving the toms off the kick drum and onto a stand was the second smartest thing I ever did, after buying Yamaha in the first place.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Memory locks in all the right places have cured it for me (Plus I can mount the ride Paice style). I've played so many exports where the clamp at either end of the L arm doesn't clamp properly anymore and.......don't get me started!

I'd be the same as you if I was forking out for a masters brand new. I use a snare stand to mount my tom. Even RIMS is a pain in the arse if you're mounting from a cymbal stand but that's another argument involving the dreaded virgin bass drums!

Having said that you can get a masters second hand for a bargain nowadays. These and the starclassics don't seem to hold their value too well.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:16 PM

I picked up a Pearl Export shell pack a few months ago. Does what I need it to do -- learn how to play in the comfort of my basement :)

Maybe if I had to move it around a lot I'd understand a lot of the criticisms. The sound is ok, not great I guess, but I haven't replaced the stock drum heads either. I pretty much knew what I was getting into...nothing special but it does the job.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Up One Down View Post
I picked up a Pearl Export shell pack a few months ago. Does what I need it to do -- learn how to play in the comfort of my basement :)

Maybe if I had to move it around a lot I'd understand a lot of the criticisms. The sound is ok, not great I guess, but I haven't replaced the stock drum heads either. I pretty much knew what I was getting into...nothing special but it does the job.
Pearl's hardware is probably better today. My kit was from the mid-80's and was lower on the food chain than the Export series was. It was bad, and not in a good way!

Changing heads can make a huge difference, as you know.

Bonus tip: the Tune-Bot electronic tuner is a godsend for drummers. No matter how good you are at tuning by ear, the Tune-Bot can improve on that. My drums sound like they cost 10x more than I paid for them because they're so incredibly well tuned, thanks to the Tune-Bot.