DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 11-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Default Ear protection

So, Iíve not been playing long- only a few months- but as hearing issues seem to run in my family I figure drums on top of that is asking for trouble so Iíd rather sort some ear protection sooner rather that later.

Does anyone have a recommendations of good value headphone? The amount available is, quite frankly, baffling. I donít have a huge amount to spend and I think I would rather have overhead ones rather than in ear (although doing a bit of reading around the in ears seem to be pegged as having better noise cancelling properties, anyone have any experience of going between both?)

Any advise and information welcome, thank you!
Old 11-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Ear protection

For home practice I wear some earmuffs from the lawnmower shop. The sound that gets through is warm and pleasing as well as very quiet.

I have dome Sennheiser HD380's which claim to block more than 20db, but the sound that does leak through is very middly and unpleasant to listen to.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM

I used the off-the-shelf earmuffs from the hardware store, with earbuds underneath to hear the metronome. It was ok for a while but since I'm just learning I wanted to hear more detail from the cymbals etc to make sure everything sounds ok.

A while ago I upgraded my setup with a pair of industrial earmuffs (with the highest decibel rating I could find on Amazon - 31 dB) and a little mixer. I had a cheap microphone lying around probably from the kids' old karaoke machine. So now I can hear the drums more clearly along with the metronome, and at whatever volume I desire.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM

After testing a number of products over the years ranging in price from cheap to over $150, I have settled on the Vic Firth Drummer Headphones (the cabled version with the ability to listen to music). Some will disagree, but they are excellent at isolating you from the kit and allow you to play along to music... or a metronome. :-)

(As a new drummer, the metronome is your best friend).

And of course you can just use them without music as well.

I have my kit miked in a home studio environment, and the headphones allow me to hear everything exceptionally well (they have great definition IMO).

The drawbacks? They are a bit tight on the head (which is necessary for good isolation). They used to have wiring problems, but I think the latest generation has solved that since I've had my current pair for about 2 years now (daily use).

Price is around $60.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiii View Post
So, Iíve not been playing long- only a few months- but as hearing issues seem to run in my family I figure drums on top of that is asking for trouble so Iíd rather sort some ear protection sooner rather that later.

Does anyone have a recommendations of good value headphone? The amount available is, quite frankly, baffling. I donít have a huge amount to spend and I think I would rather have overhead ones rather than in ear (although doing a bit of reading around the in ears seem to be pegged as having better noise cancelling properties, anyone have any experience of going between both?)

Any advise and information welcome, thank you!
I think your best bet here is the vic firth on ear. They are kind of peltors type of headphones. They isolate around of 23db. I have to be very careful with my over-sensitive ears and In-ears are not a great option even if I wish them very bad.
The vic firth cost more or less 60 euro.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

This is what I use for in ear monitors at gigs.They don't let the vol. go any higher than 82 decibels, and they act as ear plugs to keep the outside noise at a safe level. http://www.galeton.com/3m-trade-pelt...11884-product/
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Need WAAAAAY more information.

How often are you using them? just drums? music? on the bus?

What is your budget $50? $400? $2000? IEM's get pricey in a hurry if you want the best of the best.

Are you a crazy audiophile? are you recording? are you just practicing or playing along with tracks?

What are your headphone experiances?
Do you want over ear can style? good isolation, can get hot, uncomfortable, pinch the head.
Do you want Ear bud style? can hurt the inside of ear, better for longer periods of time.
Do you want custom IEMS? Sound the best, most comfort, most money

I got the UE5's from Ultimate ears. They sound unreal, I have never heard my drums like this in my life. They were also $600 USD.... plus $70 for ear molds etc. They were worth every penny though. I have one set of ears. I can wear these things for 8 hours straight and keep the volume super low because they isolate well..

I also had the MAudio M6EE headphones from amazon.. For $60 they were also quite good.. Good isolation with the foam tips. Decent low end. (which you need for drums to sound half decent)

I had some vic firth cans before.. Sound was not the best, pinched my head, but they worked well and lasted a long time.

You can also go to an audiologist and get custom molded hearing protection without speakers... Sound way better than foam earplugs, more comfortable, and they are excellent. I think I got some for about $150 before I got the IEMS.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

If you are just wanting good sound isolation headphones (not the in-ear variety) to be able to listen to music while you are practicing drums, then look at the GK Ultraphones.

I swear by these. What they areas Peltor shooter's ear muffs, but they outfit the insides with speakers from Sony's MDR-7506 monitor headphones.

What I have discovered is that when you use regular headphones, the sound leaking into them from the outside causes you to turn up the music volume while you play drums, causing you to eventually go deaf.

With the shooter's muffs as your over-the-ear headphones, sound coming in from outside is greatly reduced (these do it by 26 dB), so even while you're playing the drums, you can keep the incoming music low as well, reducing ear fatigue from loud noise.

These are a little pricey ($300 or so) but definitely worth it if you want to keep your hearing normal. Do a google search from GK Ultraphones, and you'll find them. The guy that created them is Gordy Knutson who use to play drums for Ben Sidran among others.

NOTE - you do get kind of the same deal with the Vic Firth isolation headphones, where they block out a lot of the incoming noise outside, but they just don't sound that great when listening to music, and the speakers are closer to your ears than is comfortable.