DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

Default Back in the studio tomorrow, cannot wait

Very excited for tomorrow, my band The Amber Bugs are back in the studio after a couple of months rehearsing/demoing and tomorrow we are recording our follow up to our 2016 EP.

The format will be challenging to say to the least in terms of time deadlines. Each day we are there we have 8 hours to get a song recorded, then in the evening we are filming a live performance video of each song - again recording fresh audio.

Outside of our three piece Band setup We have a brass band backing us this time on both tracks so I’m excited to see how quickly they will get there parts down - although rehearsals with them have gone really well and they are professionals so we’re not expecting any issues there.

Gearwise im taking my DW Collectors Series and have chosen 22, 13 & 16 as the drum sizes leaving the 24”, 12 & 14 at home.

Planning on using my Black Beauty on one of the songs, with my 1960’s LM400 Supra on another, however taking my Radio King and Pearl Steel Snare just incase. The studio also has a LM402 to use so can’t wait to see how the room sounds when I get there in the morning and make the final call on what Snare to use for each track.

The studio itself is Tilehouse Studios which is Mike Oldfield’s old Studio, now owned and run by his son who’s our engineer of choice.

The main room is covered in tiles and apparently provides a great live sound so I’m looking forward to experiencing that in person.

Like with our last EP we’re recording completely in analogue and on tape. The last EP experience in this setup was great, really forced us to up our game and not cut any corners as afforded with digital recordings and I can’t wait to do it this way again. A great test in this day and age but we’re well rehearsed and prepared as you should be.

I don’t think digital studios are for us, we used one a couple of months to get some demos/ideas down and had pro tool issues and had to abandon the session funny enough!

Might use this thread to update each evening with progress.

Nearly time to get home, run through the songs one final time then start to prep the kit ready for the journey to the Studio tomorrow morning.

Can’t wait (as you can probably tell)
Old 11-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Back in the studio tomorrow, cannot wait

Rock it Juni....have a ball! Make us proud!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:09 AM

Good luck dude. Looking forward to hearing the results and all about the experience.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
Rock it Juni....have a ball! Make us proud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erberderber View Post
Good luck dude. Looking forward to hearing the results and all about the experience.
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Home now after a couple of manic days in the studio in London and really pleased with the end results. We got two tracks recorded and each evening then shot a live music video (recording new audio all over again) and managed to fit that all in, although at times I'm not sure how!!

Apart from a quick lunch break both days we were busy going from one thing straight to another. Lots of people to look after/make sure they were ready. At one point today we had 9 people in the control room going over/changing Trumpet/Trombone parts from the scores they were given by us. Naturally at that point I tried to make it look like I knew what they were all talking about and I think I got away with it ; ) - beard scratching and gentle head nodding work really well in those situations I found.

The three brass players we hired for the sessions really added to the songs, all sessioned and well travelled professional jazz musicians. The guys videoing were great too as was our engineer, really knows his stuff and not to mention loves talking drums and gear so I can't wait to hear what the song mixes start to sound like then what the separate video and audio look like also.

Yesterday couldn't have gone any better, we track live as a band and on analogue/tape that means full takes from the main band (not much punching in and out allowed) we got the basic tracks recorded on the second take and that evening the live session 'music video' with the brass players playing live with us this time on the first take. Today was slight different, got the basic tracks recorded on the 9th take, I think. Could have been many more. We got the live session 'music video' with everyone playing at the same time on the third take so not so bad there.

Both songs have time changes and multiple parts so not easy for anyone to play but we got there in the end today. Always important to keep positive in those situations and not start to worry about the clock, everyone mostly kept cool heads throughout.

The live room was a great room to record in, swapped around rides and snares as a result to fit each song. The first day I used my 14 x 6.5 Black Beauty and today I used my 14 x 5.5 Radio King. Both snares (and the whole kit) got some very good remarks from the engineer and band so I'm glad I took what I did. Tried the 14x5 Supra but in that room and on the songs in question it just didn't project enough.

When I got there funny enough I found the very same Gretsch vintage round badge kit that I recorded our last EP on (at a different studio) and was tempted to use that as I know how good it sounds (a bit in love with that kit) but stuck with my DW and it worked out well, so well the engineer is on about buying the same kit as mine for the studio which means it wasn't just me thinking it sounded good as a biased owner, phew!.

Anyway, very excited to hear the finished results when it's all done. Releasing the songs on iTunes/Spotify as singles with the videos released on YouTube at the same time to promote them.

Now time for a whiskey and coke and a nice relax in a quiet room with the other half before sleeping very well tonight thanks to two manic days.

Apologies for the essay.

Last edited by Juniper; 11-05-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 PM

Great stuff, sounds like you had a cracking weekend. Seems like you all left your egos at the door, pulled together, got your heads down and made it work. You must be chuffed and relieved you got it all done.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing the results of your efforts.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erberderber View Post
Great stuff, sounds like you had a cracking weekend. Seems like you all left your egos at the door, pulled together, got your heads down and made it work. You must be chuffed and relieved you got it all done.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing the results of your efforts.
Thank you again!, really do appreciate you taking your time to comment. I’ll put up some links when they are released.

Listening to the rough mixes now and very proud of everyone involved. Performances from everyone sound great.

Very happy.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Looking forward to hearing the tracks Jon. I love your touch on the drums = very classy, so I'm sure we'll be in for a treat. Great to pick up on your excitement too :)
Thanks very much Andy, very kind of you to say that.

We're aiming for a January release for the first song/video, then a couple months later for the second video/song so we can leave a smaller gap for recording of the next EP as the songs are very well rehearsed/gigged and ready to be recorded already.

Hoping to be back in the same Studio late spring/early summer. Space things out in a way to hopefully build some momentum.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

Apologies to bump a thread from November. Just uploaded the first music video from the sessions over on the 'Your Playing' forum for anyone that wishes to check it out.

Thanks again!

Jon
Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Very excited for tomorrow, my band The Amber Bugs are back in the studio after a couple of months rehearsing/demoing and tomorrow we are recording our follow up to our 2016 EP.

The format will be challenging to say to the least in terms of time deadlines. Each day we are there we have 8 hours to get a song recorded, then in the evening we are filming a live performance video of each song - again recording fresh audio.

Outside of our three piece Band setup We have a brass band backing us this time on both tracks so I’m excited to see how quickly they will get there parts down - although rehearsals with them have gone really well and they are professionals so we’re not expecting any issues there.

Gearwise im taking my DW Collectors Series and have chosen 22, 13 & 16 as the drum sizes leaving the 24”, 12 & 14 at home.

Planning on using my Black Beauty on one of the songs, with my 1960’s LM400 Supra on another, however taking my Radio King and Pearl Steel Snare just incase. The studio also has a LM402 to use so can’t wait to see how the room sounds when I get there in the morning and make the final call on what Snare to use for each track.

The studio itself is Tilehouse Studios which is Mike Oldfield’s old Studio, now owned and run by his son who’s our engineer of choice.

The main room is covered in tiles and apparently provides a great live sound so I’m looking forward to experiencing that in person.

Like with our last EP we’re recording completely in analogue and on tape. The last EP experience in this setup was great, really forced us to up our game and not cut any corners as afforded with digital recordings and I can’t wait to do it this way again. A great test in this day and age but we’re well rehearsed and prepared as you should be.

I don’t think digital studios are for us, we used one a couple of months to get some demos/ideas down and had pro tool issues and had to abandon the session funny enough!

Might use this thread to update each evening with progress.

Nearly time to get home, run through the songs one final time then start to prep the kit ready for the journey to the Studio tomorrow morning.

Can’t wait (as you can probably tell)
wow super cool :D would love to hear something!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecharlie View Post
wow super cool :D would love to hear something!
Ah cool! here you go

Link to the live video is below

https://www.facebook.com/TheAmberBug...9599767460206/

Also you can find the recorded song on Spotify/iTunes...etc

Also there’s a YouTube link on the below thread

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/...d.php?t=140120

Hope you enjoy and thank you for expressing an interest. Appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

Last time I bump this thread, promise!! : )

Just uploaded the last video from this session and posted it to the following thread should anyone fancy checking it out.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...43#post1550643

Thanks again!

Jon