DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 AM

Default Is this a good drumset for a semi-professional drummer?

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a drumset to practice and take it to gigs as well if needed.
I play rock, metal, fusion gigs and some weddings as well.

Please let me know what you think about the parts I chose.

Pearl Roadshow fusion
Zildjian S series Rock cymbal set
Tama HP310LW Speedcobra double
Remo Emperor coated tom heads
Remo Powerstroke 3 snare head
Remo Powerstroke 3 clear bass head

All of these costs about $1,416.67 including shipping from Thomann. ( they are the only site I found that ships to where I live )

My budget is $1500.

Thank you!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Is this a good drumset for a semi-professional drummer?

Nope. The Roadshow will probably fall apart, the Zildjians are too harsh for weddings and such stuff. Buy used and you will get way better quality at the same price. If you want to buy new, reconsider and rearrange everything. Read reviews. Do your homework. Then decide what to buy and ask again. Do you e.g. REALLY need a Speedcobra double? I doubt it....

Why do you think that your selection is a good one, what are you looking for in drums? I do have the impression that you don't really know a lot yet about drums, cymbals and hardware, to be honest... If you are - against all odds - a seasoned drummer, then you should know that the Roadshow is NOT your go-to drumset for live-gigging. You need drums with GOOD hardware that keep the tuning well and that are easy to set up and tear down.

PS: I don't see drumbags in your list. You will need some. Also a good drummerseat... what about mics, solid cymbalstands etc.?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
Nope. The Roadshow will probably fall apart, the Zildjians are too harsh for weddings and such stuff. Buy used and you will get way better quality at the same price. If you want to buy new, reconsider and rearrange everything. Read reviews. Do your homework. Then decide what to buy and ask again. Do you e.g. REALLY need a Speedcobra double? I doubt it....

Why do you think that your selection is a good one, what are you looking for in drums? I do have the impression that you don't really know a lot yet about drums, cymbals and hardware, to be honest... If you are - against all odds - a seasoned drummer, then you should know that the Roadshow is NOT your go-to drumset for live-gigging. You need drums with GOOD hardware that keep the tuning well and that are easy to set up and tear down.

PS: I don't see drumbags in your list. You will need some. Also a good drummerseat... what about mics, solid cymbalstands etc.?
You're correct. I have no experience with buying drums.

The sound guy in all the gigs I have played bring their own drum, I don't really need a drum that I can take to gigs, but if I can that'll be a bonus, cymbals too.

I have no place to buy used in here, I'm from Sri Lanka btw.

I don't have any experience buying my own drum. I watched/read a lot of reviews and almost all of them suggested that the roadshow is a great kit for the money. It includes a seat, I don't need mics, I can get the cymbal stands locally.

What do you think I should buy?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandula View Post
Hello,

I'm planning to buy a drumset to practice and take it to gigs as well if needed.

Pearl Roadshow fusion

All of these costs about $1,416.67 including shipping from Thomann. ( they are the only site I found that ships to where I live )

My budget is $1500.

Thank you!
Roadshow hardware is just fine. They also sound great when tuned up with nice heads. I'd suggest an EMAD for the kick but other than that your head choices are fine. As to cymbals, avoid those that are labeled "Rock" as they tend to be heavy and one dimensional and break easier. If you must stick with the S series get the Performance pack rather than the rock pack. These will be a bit better for all around performance being thinner and not as brittle. I find the S series to be a bit too bright for my taste. I would splurge on a A set or buy used Zildjian A's but i understand that your options are limited and that you may have a different sound in mind than i do cymbal wise.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:19 PM

I understand the reasons for buying new if the SH market in Sri Lanka is limited. However, I would seriously consider upgrading from the Roadshow. My friend's bought a set for their daughter and it is OK but just OK. Tunes up well (I know because I had to do it for them) but the hardware is not the best and I would worry about durability in the long run.

Sticking with Pearl, an Export from Thomann including hardware, pedal and cheap Sabians comes in at $920. Add in a Throne, ditch the cheap Sabians to replace with something like Istanbul Xists and it would come in well under $1,500 including shipping to Sri Lanka.

Need more practice!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

I've downsized to the Pearl Midtown which is perfect for every gig I do. If you have drum mics you're laughing. It's a travel kit but trust me it's solid and practical if you're playing lots

On Thomann it's 375. Now that leaves you enough to get the A Custom cymbal pack on Thomann which is 694.

For the 2 it's 1069 or $1403. You can get a cheap pedal and stool for under 100. If you're getting paid to play you'll upgrade as you go.

Can't stress the importance of good cymbals enough
Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Personally, from Thomann I would get the Pearl Decade drum kit. It comes with hardware. Good maple drums that are heavy duty enough to handle gigging. Then get the Zultan Pro Cymbal pack. They are b20, good quality cymbals. That will leave you just enough money for a decent stool/throne. Anything less than a Pearl Decade, and believe me, will be a waste of precious money. Why buy something you'll want to replace right away?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Hi Chandula and welcome to DW. I second the Pearl Decade kit. You can go about three to six months before changing out the heads. Very good sounding base drum and mounted toms even with original heads. I would go with Paiste PST7 cymbals. Take a listen at Paiste website between the PST7 and the 2002. Sound is very close on the crashes. The PST7 Hi-Hats have a good crisp chick and nice sticking definition. PST7 rides are O.K., might check out Paiste 900 series rides or if you can find a good used 2002 ride.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1977 View Post
I understand the reasons for buying new if the SH market in Sri Lanka is limited. However, I would seriously consider upgrading from the Roadshow. My friend's bought a set for their daughter and it is OK but just OK. Tunes up well (I know because I had to do it for them) but the hardware is not the best and I would worry about durability in the long run.

Sticking with Pearl, an Export from Thomann including hardware, pedal and cheap Sabians comes in at $920. Add in a Throne, ditch the cheap Sabians to replace with something like Istanbul Xists and it would come in well under $1,500 including shipping to Sri Lanka.
When you say you have doubts about the hardware durability i think we must have looked at different kits. Then again even the cheapest Pearl hardware seems to keep going past the 20 year mark. Depends what you mean by the long run.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Thank you all for the advice.

I think I'll go with Pearl decade, Istanbul xist brilliant and dw 4002 double pedals.

I like the sound of Istanbuls, thank you matty for introducing them to me, I had no idea about them! Are they any good for rock/metal? I'm a hard hitter.

I just have to buy one more cymbal stand and the set is done.

This is slightly over my budget but It'll be worth it I think.

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

That sounds much more like a good package. The Decade is a solid drumkit, the Istanbuls are good cymbals. If you need cymbal stands, check e.g. the Yamaha 600 and 700 series. Those do last and don't cost too much. For a drum throne, check e.g. Gibraltar. They have good thrones that cost around 120-150 US$
Old 11-16-2017, 12:00 PM

There are a lot of versions of the Decade.
Which one should I get? This one seems fine.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/pearl_d..._black_bur.htm

Not sure if others are better.
Sorry, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to buying drums.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Gold Member

Which one is okay depends on you. You have to get the configuration that suits your needs. Are you a small person? In that case, a 20" bassdrum would be a good choice. If you want a drum that can be put up on smaller stages, a drumset that fits all styles, 20" is usually the way to go, it is the "allrounder". 22" is good if you want the deep Ooompf! and the volume that some rock and metal-music asks for. 10-12-14 or 10-12-16 tom-configuration? Both work equally well. 14" floortom is better for jazz, pop and funk stuff, 16 better for rock and metal usually. Your choice. Hardware and snare are okay, should last for quite some time - until you get some experience and know that you want e.g. a more specialized/different snaredrum.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

When you buy drums, check the bearing edges. Ask the store if you can get one straight out of the box that hasn't been assembled yet. First check the bearing edges if they are smooth and even. Then assemble the entire kit, heads, and hardware in the store to make sure everything fits properly before you take it home.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
Depends what you mean by the long run.
I thought the hardware on the Roadshow was fine but it all felt a little lightweight. The best way I can sum it up is like the difference between a cheap 'pot metal' drum key and a $15 top notch drum key....... only in hardware terms. As a specific example, the memory locks on the tom holders needed to be tightened to a degree to do their job but I was very worried about stripping a thread or even splitting the lock itself.

Need more practice!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I like the sound of Istanbuls, thank you matty for introducing them to me
No worries. I'm an advocate of these cymbals as they provide great bang for the buck and I own a set myself. Not saying that I will never upgrade them at some point but for proper B20 cymbal they are fantastic value and well up there with the bigger names IMO.

Quote:
Are they any good for rock/metal?
Rock - Yes. I play rock and they work well
Metal - I guess. Not really a Metaller myself but I see no reason why not.

The Xists are pretty versatile I guess. I think they do a rock specific pack but it is more of a one trick pony according to reviews.

Quote:
I'm a hard hitter.
Get the angles right and hit 'em properly then :-)

Good luck with it all.

Need more practice!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1977 View Post
I thought the hardware on the Roadshow was fine but it all felt a little lightweight. The best way I can sum it up is like the difference between a cheap 'pot metal' drum key and a $15 top notch drum key....... only in hardware terms. As a specific example, the memory locks on the tom holders needed to be tightened to a degree to do their job but I was very worried about stripping a thread or even splitting the lock itself.
I see. As long as it's better than what came with my 1970 Slingerland kit I'd say it will last. Pearl is one of the pioneers of the heavier hardware that lasts for ages.
Even their lightest is more solid than what the American companies put out on their old top of the line kits.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Pearl Roadshow fusion

My budget is $1500.

Thank you!
I'd recommend getting a used set of Zildjian A series. Or used turkish cymbals they're pretty versatile

Yamaha stage customs shells seem good for your genre of music. They punch way above their weight class for the price and can be found super cheap used.
If you're not too worried with hardware then yamaha might be fine. All be it, I'm not a person who plays for gigs so I can't comment much. However, I have a stage custom in my church for basically almost 10 years and it's not showing any age anytime soon.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Pearl Roadshow fusion

My budget is $1500.

Thank you!
I think you are more than fine. Only on the cymbals... is maybe TRX Cymbals a good idea? Besides most of the lower priced Turkish brands, TRX is really good with their quality control. The problem with most of those small turkish brands is that they often lack of consistency in quality... it can happen you end up with the best cymbal in your life or the worst piece of alloy. As TRX has their own QC on top, you can be safe.

Headquarters in LA, USA. The company is very small and the people working there is really awesome people. They sound really good, REALLY good. Sound engineers loves them and they sound amazing naturally. I don't know where you live but you should give them a try... There is only one distributor in Europe, if you order through Thomann suggests me you are. If you are in the USA you can order from the company directly.