DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM

Default Is it me? Yamaha DTX 562K & RHH135

I play a Yamaha DTX 562K - this is the kit with the "real" hi-hat stand and RHH135 hi-hat cymbal. I got this one because of bad luck with the hi-hat pedals that are with most electronic kits. I have read pretty much everything I could find on this blog and others about how to make it respond as similar to a real set of hi hat cymbals as possible. I have been into the settings as deep as I can go (via iPad and the yamaha app) and still, not much luck getting the response I want with open hi-hat sounds and barks. I have resorted to playing actual hi-hats with this kit which makes it difficult for a player of my abilities to have consistent dynamics across the kit. The hi-hat is always louder and liver (obviously).

The best I can figure, the problem is either:
1. I still haven't found the right combination of trigger, pad and mixer settings
2. My playing technique is flawed in a way that, while it doesn't necessarily show up at my acoustic kit, it is noticeable on the RHH135.
3. Or -- there aren't electronic hi-hats that really adequately simulate real hi-hats.

If 3 is the case, I figured I would have seen a bunch of posts/complaints somewhere or it would be common knowledge amongst drummers. I haven't found this to be the case. I have played some of the super high end , $7000 kits (Roland) and found them to be better but still not what I would expect.

I'd really appreciate any guidance from other DTX562K owners. Thanks[/font]
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Is it me? Yamaha DTX 562K & RHH135

The RHH135 can be dialled in to your playing, but the most expressive you may find is to forgo having a moving hat all together (this was just a compromise by manufacturers to tempt dyed-in-the-wool a-kit drummers over to e-kits) and use a fixed pad and (in Yamaha's case) the excellent HH65 pedal.

- I have an RHH135, RHH130 and HH65 in the Yammy world. (and a bunch of Roly pads and controllers gear and Alternate Mode pads and foot controllers...got an Alesis one somewhere...)

ps. You can use the RHH135 pad and control it with the HH65.

pps. Yes, the e-hat will make you play in a certain way that's not exactly the same as an a-hat. That's because e-kits are NOT a-kits, in a similar way that you play a Fender Strat differently than an acoustic dreadnought, and you play a Korg keyboard differently than a Steinway grand.... Yes they might share some root techniques, but they are different instruments.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:31 PM

The manufacturer's ploy worked on this guy. Thank you so much for the recommendation. I'm going to give the HH65 a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodrummer View Post
The RHH135 can be dialled in to your playing, but the most expressive you may find is to forgo having a moving hat all together (this was just a compromise by manufacturers to tempt dyed-in-the-wool a-kit drummers over to e-kits) and use a fixed pad and (in Yamaha's case) the excellent HH65 pedal.

- I have an RHH135, RHH130 and HH65 in the Yammy world. (and a bunch of Roly pads and controllers gear and Alternate Mode pads and foot controllers...got an Alesis one somewhere...)

ps. You can use the RHH135 pad and control it with the HH65.

pps. Yes, the e-hat will make you play in a certain way that's not exactly the same as an a-hat. That's because e-kits are NOT a-kits, in a similar way that you play a Fender Strat differently than an acoustic dreadnought, and you play a Korg keyboard differently than a Steinway grand.... Yes they might share some root techniques, but they are different instruments.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:21 AM

Somehow I always found the RHH135 to be harder to close than any other hats. Tried acoustic cymbals, Roland VH11 and HH65 but you have to press quite firmly to get a proper closed sound.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:45 PM

I might be wrong, but I do believe in reallity there are actually only 4 levels of open/closed, at least that is the case with HH65. The levels are closed - half closed - half open - open. In addition you have the chick and splash sounds.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

I have a DTX-532 with RHH135.

For me, the levels are... Open, closed, and two random levels of in-between that are absolutely impossible to consciously articulate.

The biggest difference that I've experienced is that the hat unconditionally delivers the sound of the hat position when the stick strikes the pad. You can't transition mid-strike to slide it open or close it in the strike. You must either be open or closed, followed by the strike, forcing the left foot to take action earlier than you would on an acoustic. Ultimately, the drawback is that you can't play parts that shape or transition mid-note. An example would be the hat in "Peg" by Steely Dan.

I've found the solution to be that I simply need to stop trying to emulate my aKit when practicing on my eKit, in the same way that I don't try to emulate my electric guitar on my acoustic. The DTX has been a godsend as far as night-practice goes, and really has helped me with hand-over-foot patterns and linear licks.

Positive note: The RHH135 has done a good job of emulating the 'chick' and makes it easy to incorporate the left side into foot ostinati, so if you're going to be working your hands over a samba or other chick-critical ostinato, you'll experience no issues.