DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 AM

Default What should I focus on learning next as a level 0 graduating to level 1 (in my own mind)

What up fools!

I preface all my posts with sometging like "beginner here..." but today I will say I am coming up on 6 months of daily practice and feel like I can graduate from level 0 to level 1. LOL!

My question for all the teachers and wanna be teachers and random drummers with opinions and random non drummers who for some reason want to be here, is this:

What should I focus on next?

Where am I at now? Getting super comfortable with most rudiments at moderate speed, 90-120. Getting fairly comfortable with a bunch of rudiment-like stuff with 3 limbs. Halfway through A Funky Primer, and therefore fairly comfortable with most 4/4 bass and snare on various 16ths, 8ths with the right hand. A couple songs down if I have the music in front of me.

What next?

I have various Ideas and obviously cant work on everything. If you have a better idea let me know! Obviously I will keep at the rudiments and coordination.

Options:

1) try the same stuff, bass/snare/hats, but in various times, especially 3/4.

2) Work on all the same stuff, but add left foot on the hats one 2 and 4, or all the beats, and even all the 8ths.

3) Same same but get more musical! Learn more songs, focus on exploring the kit more with my own random whims. I only do this 10 to 30 minutes each session.

4) Crash and barks! Practice inserting all sorts of crashes and hi hat barks everywhere until I can do it in my sleep. Is there a book for this? (Notation is good to be able to read I think)

5) All the same 4/4 stuff, but work on skipping various 8ths on the hats. Much easier said than done, I've tried!

6) Fills and toms. Explore and learn how to incorporate all those beasts. Learn to use kick in fills, rudiments in fills where to put fills, timing of fills... I really don't know my fills and this might be more than one category: various fills vs. Various timings. Idk, educate me!

7) look into those things drummers love to talk about and I dont understand. What is jazz? What is Latin? I learned the son clave... But really. Are these topics for super advanced drummers?

8) What do you think? I cant do it all! I have no particular interests yet, just wanna get an all around comfort level so I can hold my own.

Thanks and have fun with telling me what to do!

Aaron
Old 01-11-2018, 06:28 AM

Default Re: What should I focus on learning next as a level 0 graduating to level 1 (in my own mind)

Play along with music/CDs/mp3 without it written out. Start with something easy. Record yourself doing it and listen to yourself mess up. Then fix it. It's good for you. It helps your timing. You do not have to play exactly what was played, just keep a groove, lock in with the bass, and learn the arrangement.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What should I focus on learning next as a level 0 graduating to level 1 (in my own mind)

It's a big subject. As a teacher I applaud working seriously on the basics, but yes, these are just tools. The key words to focus on in addition is:

Songs
Application
Musical styles

I'd start practicing my rudiments more in etude form The NARD book is a standard, but All American Drummer is also a good one. The order of the pieces is not based on difficulty, so while some might not be a bit too advanced there will pe plenty of pieces in those pages that should fit very well. Forces you to tie things together in a composition rather than just repeating a rudiment over and over.

There are books for everything. Wether it's good or the right fit for you in another matter.

I'd certainly focus on reading in general. While many successful drummers don't read that well that focus on a snare composition will make all the difference in the world in regards to comfort, relaxation, general musical overview, dynamic facility, sound based approach and technique etc....... Technique in practice with a dynamic and expressive musical approach. Different ballgame.

In the same vein; Play with other people.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 AM

You could also play to a click track at different tempos and time signatures.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

If I could go back in time, I would work with a click early on.

Spend WAAAAAY more time on playing slow rudiments and getting the technique perfect. And I think being able to play the hats on 1/4 , 1/8, down beats, upbeats, over EVERYTHING is a great skill to have.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Depends what you want out of drumming.

A great drummer once said that to learn all the technique and theory of drumming before you do anything else would, for him, be awful. Work on what you need.

Play with others as soon as you can. Music is about functioning and bouncing off other musicians. One jam/open mic night will tell you what you need to work on faster than a dozen lone practice sessions.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 PM

Find people to play with.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
A couple songs down if I have the music in front of me.
Time to put your abilities to the test, and jam some songs with other people! You don't need to worry about performing in front of a crowd, just some people to jam with is fine. Pick some songs, learn them individually, and play them as a group.

You're going to find playing fills difficult. Actually, the fills are usually easy, and so are the beats. If the fill or beat is not easy, simplify it until it is. But what's much more difficult is transitioning from beat to fill and back, while maintaining a steady tempo.

Quote:
Halfway through A Funky Primer, and therefore fairly comfortable with most 4/4 bass and snare on various 16ths, 8ths with the right hand.
Good work! It sounds like you can play a nice variety of beats, which is good. Now, take some of those beats, and learn to play fills that go along with them. Short, simple fills at first, longer fills as you gain experience. Play a crash on beat 1 after each fill, since you'll do this often when playing most songs. The goal is to make your practice closely resemble what you'll be playing in a real musical situation.

But also, go ahead and learn to play 5 or 10 more songs, start to finish, without stopping. You'll learn endurance and improve your timekeeping, and you'll also learn some stuff that just isn't discussed in books.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Depends what you want out of drumming.

A great drummer once said that to learn all the technique and theory of drumming before you do anything else would, for him, be awful. Work on what you need.

Play with others as soon as you can. Music is about functioning and bouncing off other musicians. One jam/open mic night will tell you what you need to work on faster than a dozen lone practice sessions.
That's the advice I give anyone I see learning guitar or bass too. Practice often, record practices if possible,(you never know what cool riff you'll trip over) but then like you say, PLAY WITH OTHERS. That's where you learn the good stuff. BTW, I'm about a .5 as a drummer right now at age 56. I can play TO certain things if you give me a Mulligan on the fills, and I can make up and play my own stuff with reasonable success. I feel like a teenager.