DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:54 PM

Default Adjusting to bigger kick size, raising height

Hi guys,

For those of you who have switched from a 22 to a 24” kick, was it easy to get used to the added height simply by adjusting stool height and raising hats, etc?

My current kit has a 22” kick and a 13x8 rack tom which sits nice and low due to less depth.
However I recently played a kit with a 24” kick and 13x9 rack which adds height.

ONe thing I like about the less depth of my current kit is that I’m able to ‘get on top of’ the rack tom pretty easily, everything drum-wise is nice and low. However I really loved the added thump of the larger kick, but being that I like my Toms to be almost flat (not angled), and rack tom above the kick (not too far off to the side) it was kind of a lot to get used to as everythibg was raised by around 3” height.

Is it simply a matter of raising my stool, hats and floor tom (and all cymbal stands) to compensate? And more importantly, Is there any disadvantage of sitting a little higher up, dies it continue to feel different or just take some getting used to?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Adjusting to bigger kick size, raising height

I think most people do this backwards.

Regardless of the size of drums you have, the things you have to be most comfortable with is your seat height in relation to how you play the bass drum and the snare drum. Once you have the correct seat height to be comfortable behind the snare, bass, and hi-hat, then the next thing to position correctly is your ride cymbal. Then everything else should fall into place - if you're talking about being completely ergonomic.

I know most people have seen Ringo, who sat rather high because he needed to be seen (totally not the argument to use if you're trying to play comfortably). Tony Williams sat rather high too. But in reality you must find that comfortable height for you to play time and groove, then add the toms around that, because you only play those instruments about 20% of the time.

I think in your case, if you're only using one rack tom, it's just a matter of moving it farther out to your left to keep it at a comfortable height in relation to your snare and hi-hat - that's what I did when I played either a 24" or 26" with either a 9x13 or a 10x14 rack tom on a snare stand.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Administrator - Mayor

No need to change anything but your beatet height and your rack tom. Not your throne, snare or hats
Old 01-14-2018, 10:59 PM

Thanks guys. I considered moving my rack tom left which works but it does also increase the distance going from rack tom to floor tom. Not a total deal breaker but I do like where itís at on my smaller kit in terms of getting from one drum to the other more swiftly.

I understand Boís point about not raising things up so high that youíre not sitting comfortably. In theory Iíd have to raise up 3Ē on this bigger kit in order to maintain similar proportion of rack tom height.

Would be open to any other possibilities, thanks.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Bo and Gruntersdad nailed it. One reason I don't like larger bass drums is placement of my toms and a 24 seems harder to play, at least to me. Just have to experiment with the height of your tom, only thing that would need to be adjusted besides your beater.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Bo and Gruntersdad nailed it. One reason I don't like larger bass drums is placement of my toms and a 24 seems harder to play, at least to me. Just have to experiment with the height of your tom, only thing that would need to be adjusted besides your beater.
Thanks I hear ya, although I love the sound of a 24, Iím not sure I want to raise my rack tom up so high, or move it left too much for that matter. I think Iíll have to keep experimenting and see what feels most natural.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Thanks guys. I considered moving my rack tom left which works but it does also increase the distance going from rack tom to floor tom. Not a total deal breaker but I do like where it’s at on my smaller kit in terms of getting from one drum to the other more swiftly.
Moving from high to low tom is just a question of practice. Doubles between snare, tom, ft will help.

I am not faster with a 2 up 1 down that I am on a 1 up 1 down with the ride sitting where the 2nd tom would be. Quite the opposite in fact.

I did spend hundreds of hours just going around the kit and overall efficiently practicing around that setup, and it now feels more natural to me.

Distance is an illusion in one's head, rather than a reality in one's movements.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

Whatís this ďadjust the beaterĒ business? I leave my beater where it is on the pedal since my technique is made around how the pedal feels. Whenever you shorted the beater, you change how he pedal works with you, and you have to adjust your technique. Iíd rather keep the same technique so I can fly on any size bass drum.

I had a guy shorten his beater for volume purposes, and when I played it, I had to work too hard to get it loud enough. I thought was a dumb idea. Now when Iím told a kit is provided, I bring my own pedal too.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Moving from high to low tom is just a question of practice. Doubles between snare, tom, ft will help.

I am not faster with a 2 up 1 down that I am on a 1 up 1 down with the ride sitting where the 2nd tom would be. Quite the opposite in fact.

I did spend hundreds of hours just going around the kit and overall efficiently practicing around that setup, and it now feels more natural to me.

Distance is an illusion in one's head, rather than a reality in one's movements.
Good point. Perhaps the rack tom moved left is just something for me to practice and get used to.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

If you like a flat tom over the kick a 24 is going to be tough. Your going to have to move it left. I have used this setting at gigs when gear sharing and it does take getting used to. I went the other way as I like my flat toms over the kick so I went to a 20. I also don't like lugging a 24 with me to gigs.

That being said a 24 does sound nice. I think if you want to you could get used to it being to the left. I might actually angle my toms a bit more in my next setup for better placements.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:49 AM
Administrator - Mayor

The consensus of opinion, which I don't totally agree with, is that bass drums sound better if the beater hits in the center, To do this on a 24 you would have to raise it from the 22.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

Provided you do not need to use both feet on the bass drum, use a double pedal, slide the bass drum over to the right, and use the left pedal for your right foot. Of course there are problems to this, like no one else would fit on the stage with you, and the bass drum would be so far away from the rest of the kit that there would be a time delay. But, you could mount the tom flat and right in front.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Sometimes....really can't "have it all"...

As Bo said, and I agree-you need to prioritize the "triangle"-snare, hat, bass drum. Then add the ride, followed by toms...

Have you tried different heads and\or muffling to see if you can't get a more pleasing sound out of your 22"?

I started on a 24" but I am most comfortable using a 20". However, I have been able to get a good sound from all of them including my 22".
Old 01-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Never had a problem changing bass drum size. The difference between a 22 and a 24 is hardly noticeable. Don't adjust your stool height just practice a bit so your muscle memory gets used to it or mount the tom further to the left.

If you're extending the beater shaft to hit in the middle of the head depending on bass drum size you'll lose all the feel of your pedal and have bloody shins after a few songs playing a 26" :) I don't shorten the beater length to play an 18 and still get a great sound.

I get the hit in the middle of the head theory if like me you gig with a 16" bass drum on a riser and you need as much oomph as possible but a 24" has more than enough to spare.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

If he can fit his tom on this kit so can you.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
If he can fit his tom on this kit so can you.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Never had a problem changing bass drum size. The difference between a 22 and a 24 is hardly noticeable. Don't adjust your stool height just practice a bit so your muscle memory gets used to it or mount the tom further to the left.

If you're extending the beater shaft to hit in the middle of the head depending on bass drum size you'll lose all the feel of your pedal and have bloody shins after a few songs playing a 26" :) I don't shorten the beater length to play an 18 and still get a great sound.

I get the hit in the middle of the head theory if like me you gig with a 16" bass drum on a riser and you need as much oomph as possible but a 24" has more than enough to spare.
Thank you. Yes from what I’m gathering here, simply just a matter of getting used to a 24 setup. I will keep in mind for my next kit as I do like the 24. My current kit is 22, but it’s good to know that when I’m ready for a different kit,I can make a 24 work with a few minor kit adjustments and some practice.