DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 11-14-2017, 12:13 AM

Default Re: i need ideas for a quicker load in/out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboomer View Post
I tried one of theos Protec bags but it didnt work for me. The wheels are so close together that ou have to try very hard to keep it balanced. It wants to keep twisting if you pull it with one hand. It also didnt offer much padding. Hopefully it works for you.
They do want to twist at times for me too, i just make sure i hold it low, it seems to stay going straight that was for some reason. They have some padding, enough for me anyway to load in and out and in my SUV.
Return of the Andy Nemesis
Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 AM

I guess I could see getting one trip in the door with bass,snare, HH and the right hardware. The old country drummer setup.

Two things save stress levels and shoulders at the gig, arriving early enough to deal with it, and the wheel. Tried and true. Once you know the venue, it's on you.

My hats off to those who do it all the time and have it streamlined for efficiency.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:18 AM

In case it hasn't already been said below -

Hire a drum tech. That'll make load in/out time drop to half instantly!

As long as the guy shows up that is...
Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

I do a 4 piece kit in 2 trips. Most of my gigs involve stairs and people to navigate through. Here's how I do it.

Trip 1: Hardware bag is a duffel bag with wheels on one end so it gets pulled with one hand. Snare in backpack case on my back, tom bag in other hand.

Trip 2: Cymbal bag with shoulder strap, floor tom bag with shoulder strap, bass drum in front held with both hands.

I put every piece of hardware in that duffel bag including throne and a small rug folded up. I try to use the lightest, most compact hardware I can find. This includes a thin entry-level Pearl hi-hat, a cheap snare stand, and 2 DW UL cymbal stands (or 1 UL and a cymbal holder depending on the kit). Pedal has no base plate so it folds up. Stick bag, cowbell, tom holder, legs, tambourine, literally everything. The bag is the perfect size and even with all that it's not super heavy. If the bag fails they're super cheap so I'll just get another one. I've been using it for at least 5 years.

If I were to use a bikini kit I might be able to do one trip with the snare on my back, cymbals on shoulder, bass drum in one hand and pull bag with the other. That might be tough though so I might still do 2 trips.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Iíve bought lightweight hardware and moved to a 5 piece kit with a 20Ē x 16Ē bass drum to lighten the load and make fitting my gear in the car and in the pub stage area easier. Iirc I once got my trips down to 3, however throw a drum mat into the equation and suddenly youíre looking at 4 trips +. There are also a some items like the drum stool base which I wonít swap out for something lighter as I prefer the solidity of the one Iíve got.
Using a cart isnít an option for me due to the type of places I play in, namely pubs in the uk where typically load in is a relatively short distance but over uneven surfaces with steps, people and doors to negotiate through and past.
I prefer to make a larger number of comfortable trips as opposed to a smaller number of fully laden trips, for my circumstances it means less likelihood of bashing into and damaging things.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Ok, here's the question. What are the lightest stands and hardware available on the market....?
I just bought the Tama MM4 Stagemaster hardware pack - 2 cymbal stands, hihat and snare stand in a rectangular nylon bag/case. The whole package weighs 12kg (25lb) which is lighter than an EV plastic speaker (sx300 = 14.5kg)

I'm really impressed with the design, adjustability and build quality of these stands, whilst remaining lighter than most.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Ok, here's the question. What are the lightest stands and hardware available on the market....?
Possibly the DW Ultralight range.
Out of the range I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend the hi hat stand. The lack of a bracing point halfway up the upright tube means it will waggle around more than a traditional tripod stand. I don't mind it but I can imagine that many would. The snare stand works well for my maple 14" x 5" snare with cast hoops, again possibly heavier snare drum users might think twice. The cymbal stands are great as long as you're not hanging anything off them and don't need a boom adjustment.
I've got a full set, if i find a decent quality lightweight traditional tripod based hi hat stand I might buy that and take the hit in the weight department but there's no urgency.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolwich View Post
Possibly the DW Ultralight range.
Out of the range I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend the hi hat stand. The lack of a bracing point halfway up the upright tube means it will waggle around more than a traditional tripod stand. I don't mind it but I can imagine that many would. The snare stand works well for my maple 14" x 5" snare with cast hoops, again possibly heavier snare drum users might think twice. The cymbal stands are great as long as you're not hanging anything off them and don't need a boom adjustment.
I've got a full set, if i find a decent quality lightweight traditional tripod based hi hat stand I might buy that and take the hit in the weight department but there's no urgency.
I agree that the hi-hat is less than ideal. I tried one at a store and it was way too wobbly for me. I much prefer tripod hi-hat stands. I love the UL cymbal stands however. They are the lightest of the major brands and are sturdy enough for my needs.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Lighter hardware is nice for consolidation. I can usually get away with minimal trips which is nice playing a seedy basement show in a bar, but dang my gig bag of hardware is heavy for one person to lift.

Look into single braced hardware, or check out the axis percussion stuff. Most people don't know they make cymbal and snare stands, but they weigh like 3lbs which is pretty cool.

I dropped a tom and extra cymbal off my kit in the last few years for this reason and if anything it has made me a better drummer. In my other band I leave 3 of the toms on my kit at home and just have 1 up one down.

Gear sharing with other bands is something we do in my city a lot which is great.

Having gig bags for EVERYTHING (including handles and straps) I can only carry 2 toms with my hands.. If I strap over my shoulder I can put several and still use my hands. This goes for stick bags, pedals etc.... My double pedal is in a gig bag, and I use a backpack for the rest of my stuff.