DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 11-17-2017, 03:23 AM

Default Your advice on In Ear Monitors

Hi all,

I've used noise filtering ear plugs and a monitor pointed at me for gigs for some time now. I can run a mix of bass , guitar, and vocals at levels I find easy to play to into the monitor. I was thinking to better protect my hearing and move up to the next level IEM's would be the way to go.

I can't spend a ton on them, just wondering how you use yours, if you have any suggestions for IEM newbies and recommendations of products you like that are on the less expensive side.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2017, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Your advice on In Ear Monitors

So you’re ready to spend at least $399 and some extra to get fitted for them? Then you need some kind of headphone amplifier to take a line feed from the consoles Aux send - Behringer makes the Pro 1 which I think is around $60.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

For the best hearing protection, you'll want the best isolation, which will be the more expensive molds, and drivers from JH Audio, Ultimate Ears, etc.

Anything else is basically ear buds with moderate isolation, or worse.

Granted, some protection is better than none, and real in-ears won't be inexpensive. But don't cheap out. Protecting your ears is an ongoing effort. The damage can never be undone.

I didn't start using hearing protection until around 2000, 17 years into my touring career. I would give anything to go back to the beginning and take better care of my ears.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 11-17-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

I've only used these once live, but safety ear buds should be just fine as far as I can tell. They are like ear plugs with a speaker and limit the volume to 82 decibels. The ear plug design reduces the loud stage vol. in your ears. The ones I'm using now are Ryobi $20 at Builders Square. I've used 3M models for $50 but not on stage just in my drum room playing along with music. I don't know why these arn't talked about more. I've brought them up in other threads on this topic, but no one responded. They're a whole lot cheaper than the ones designed for musicians.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:39 PM

Thanks, I was thinking of around the $300 to $400 range. with just an initial look I know I could spend ALOT more. I was looking for maybe best value for dollar advice.

I think I have an amplifier that would work.

I too didn't use ear protection for quite a while and also regret it. I'm religious about it now even when I go see bands or use loud power tools.

I'll check out the ear plugs too. Good to have around. EDIT - are you talking about the Ryobi ear buds that work with a cell phone app?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

I just ordered a set of Westone AC20s. I just had the ear impressions done yesterday, so I still don't have the actual monitors yet. I've been wanting a pair for a long time and price deal, with bluetooth cable linked above, pushed me over the edge.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:47 PM

A while back, maybe 10 years ago, I went with LiveWires. Got the dual drivers for $300. They make even more complex offerings, which can cost up to $900.

Also used a Goldline amp that clipped on my belt. Got that for around $125.

Good isolation and decent sound. I can hear what I want to hear while playing.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Thanks I'll check them out.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

One of these days I may get custom molds. I actually have some universal fit triple driver westones that I got fairly cheap. I've been using them for years and since they seem to fit pretty well I haven't gone the custom route. I use it with a Sennheiser wireless system.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I just ordered a set of Westone AC20s. I just had the ear impressions done yesterday, so I still don't have the actual monitors yet. I've been wanting a pair for a long time and price deal, with bluetooth cable linked above, pushed me over the edge.
You get that deal from Sweetwater's current sale? If so, me to!!!! I also sprung for the AC20's. I was going to do the ES model but couldn't justify the extra spend on what seemed very similar, save the dual-bore design and flex canal. I already have custom-molded Westone musician's plugs so the experience I think should be just fine!

Rock on!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
You get that deal from Sweetwater's current sale? If so, me to!!!! I also sprung for the AC20's. I was going to do the ES model but couldn't justify the extra spend on what seemed very similar, save the dual-bore design and flex canal. I already have custom-molded Westone musician's plugs so the experience I think should be just fine!

Rock on!
Yes, I saw the deal and couldn't resist. I looked at the ESs too, but seemed like the AC20 reviews were good and the price jump was a little steep.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yes, I saw the deal and couldn't resist. I looked at the ESs too, but seemed like the AC20 reviews were good and the price jump was a little steep.
Got my custom AC20s today, and... I'm blown away!!! The fit is just amazing. The isolation really surprised me, and the blue-tooth cable is really nice.
I played my drums with them for about a half hour just jamming to tunes over blue-tooth. I was shocked at the isolation. I have some Audio-Technica ATH-M50's and these seem similar in response, but are far superior in sound blocking. This is my first custom fit IEMs and the fit and comfort is amazing. I've never liked ear-buds, because they never fit my ears and feel very uncomfortable to me. These just "plug in" to my ears and fit perfectly.
If you haven't tried custom fit IEMs, they might be worth it, especially if you have never liked ear-buds.
The price, including bluetooth cable for the Westone AC20s from Sweetwater was fantastic. The whole customization experience was perfectly smooth, and now I'm a believer.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendrad View Post
Hi all,

I've used noise filtering ear plugs and a monitor pointed at me for gigs for some time now. I can run a mix of bass , guitar, and vocals at levels I find easy to play to into the monitor. I was thinking to better protect my hearing and move up to the next level IEM's would be the way to go.

I can't spend a ton on them, just wondering how you use yours, if you have any suggestions for IEM newbies and recommendations of products you like that are on the less expensive side.

Thanks
I was looking for IEMs too but i realized is better to wait and save up a bit more to get the specific models for drummers. I suggest you to look at 64 audio A8....
Old 12-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks
If you're singing lead or harmony, they're really great. A dual driver model is really all you need. The custom fit and seal contributes greatly to the sound quality. You don't need to spend $1000 on something with 5 separate drivers.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:09 AM

When you are talking about the custom fit models, is this something you do at home with a supplied kit or are you visiting a audiologist or something similar?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2017, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
When you are talking about the custom fit models, is this something you do at home with a supplied kit or are you visiting a audiologist or something similar?

Thanks
Prior to ordering my Ultimate Ears IEMs, Ultimate Ears actually fitted me for mine. A girl had this cool-looking gun connected to a computer, and she kinda' drove it around and into my ear, and I could see on the screen what my ears looked like from the inside (shocking!).

The old skool way was to shoot this foam into your ears and you waited while that hardened, then they pulled those out and used those to make your molds.

But yeah, somebody will fitting you.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Prior to ordering my Ultimate Ears IEMs, Ultimate Ears actually fitted me for mine. A girl had this cool-looking gun connected to a computer, and she kinda' drove it around and into my ear, and I could see on the screen what my ears looked like from the inside (shocking!).

The old skool way was to shoot this foam into your ears and you waited while that hardened, then they pulled those out and used those to make your molds.

But yeah, somebody will fitting you.
There are in-home kits, even provided from some IEM manufacturers, and the hi-tech method that Bo used. I went to an audiologist and had them make a mold (yes, old skool). It was actually a very pleasant process, cost $35 and I got a scope view of my ears and a free ear cleaning. Money well spent in my book, especially considering the comfort of the resulting IEMs. A question for Bo though... They had me biting a 1" bite block while making the mold (as advised by Westone). Did you have a bite block in when they did the 3D imaging?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There are in-home kits, even provided from some IEM manufacturers, and the hi-tech method that Bo used. I went to an audiologist and had them make a mold (yes, old skool). It was actually a very pleasant process, cost $35 and I got a scope view of my ears and a free ear cleaning. Money well spent in my book, especially considering the comfort of the resulting IEMs. A question for Bo though... They had me biting a 1" bite block while making the mold (as advised by Westone). Did you have a bite block in when they did the 3D imaging?
No. UE wanted to do better so they came up with this high tech method. I guess they started doing this a couple of years ago because I remember seeing people with th blocks in their mouths. That would’ve been a great shot from the NAMM show!
Old 12-21-2017, 04:23 PM

Cool thanks, good to know the fitting is not expensive. Now to order my own Christmas present lol.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
That's how mine were done in 2015, best isolation of my life for 5 minutes!

Actually, it was an audiologist that did it, so they wouldn't have had the latest gear.

Bermuda
Old 12-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

Depends on the audiologist, and new tech doesn't necessarily mean better.
My audiologist handed my molds back to me in a box pre-printed with Westone on the outside. I asked where he got the box, and he said Westone is the manufacturer for their high tech hearing aids. Made me feel better about my decision.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Depends on the audiologist, and new tech doesn't necessarily mean better.
My audiologist handed my molds back to me in a box pre-printed with Westone on the outside. I asked where he got the box, and he said Westone is the manufacturer for their high tech hearing aids. Made me feel better about my decision.
Westone also entered the IEM market years ago, first by only offering IEM with custom molds; the whole cost was upwards from $500 depending on the number of drivers. Most audiologists offered Westone brand IEMs.

In recent years, Westone has begun offering universal fit. You get a pack of different size foam and silicone pieces that snap on to the IEM to give you a near custom fit. Not ideal, but really, really close. I use the single driver set - want to say it cost about $150. Dual drivers are around $300 I think, and it goes up from there. Isolation is also adjustable, from near complete to some permeability if you prefer that.

But I'm a huge fan of Westone. Give them a look.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Westone makes nice stuff at a nice price IMO. I started off years ago with their custom-molded musician's plugs with replaceable dB filters and most recently also got their AC-20 IEM's. My audiologist fitting procedure was also straightforward and pleasant; she said their practice is a certified partner with Westone.