DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 PM

Default Learning songs

Hi drummer world, I've been playing long enough that I need to start practicing real songs. When you guys go to play a song, do you play along with a song that has no drums in it? I'd love to record myself playing and I already have the recording software for that. So I'd love to drop a song into my software and play along using sheet music. I'm a member at drumeo right now and I'm going to learn Proud Marry. I'd love an Mp3 or something of proud marry without drums. Unless you would say just play over the drums on the real copy of Proud Mary.
What do you say?
Thanks
Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Learning songs

I do both. Most of my warm-up and play-along playlists are to full songs with drums. I find that this helps to build my timekeeping. But I like playing along to drumless tracks and composing my own bits to them as more of an artistic challenge.

You can find tons of drumless tracks on YouTube; you can either bookmark them or playlist them there, or convert them to mp3s and download them using any number of websites (just Google "convert youtube to mp3").
Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

It might be on some sort of play-a-long package somewhere. Because of licensing it will, if you find it, probably be without vocals.

There is much to choose from with drumless tracks, though. Groove Essentials and Survival guide for the Modern Drummer are highly recommended.

To really get a song down though nothing beats taking full responsinlity and just playing by yourself evt, singing the song. That way you practice in a way with similar responsibility of a real live situation. You also hear every neuance in your own playing clearly.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:33 AM

Thank you Odd-Arne for the learning material recommendation and thank you AP. I didn't know you could convert Youtube to Mp3. Thats really going to help.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

You guys are lucky. Back in the 80’s , I had to go play out in the detached garage with cassette tapes and a loud boom box. I’m sure you can find a drumless track of a few tracks you can play.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 AM

Leave the sheet music at home. Just play what you think is right. Record yourself playing along with the original tune and see how you line up. Listen to yourself, record again. Repeat until it starts sounding better. See how good you can make it sound.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:05 PM

I'm finding that it's a good challenge and learning experience to try and match the original drums fairly closely. I don't sweat every note of every fill, but if the guy does something unique, or comes in on 4& or 4a instead of 1, I try to keep that. I've spent many years not progressing much because I just put on music and played what I liked over it.

Also, looking at the sheet music (not necessarily reading along as you play though) often makes me realize I was doing things differently than the original without realizing it. Even though it actually is clear in the recording, I never played the hat hits during the drum intro on "Smells Like Teen Spirit" until I looked at the sheet music. Similarly, a lot of people seem to blow off the hats at the start of "Message in a Bottle". Just little details to expand your horizons.

IMO, you want to find a line between staying creative and being lazy. Though lazy is fine once in a while if you just want to have fun and relax.