DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 10-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Gibraltar drum racks

So i have a gibraltar drum rack. And i have not been happy at all with it.
I don't think i've ever been so disappointed with a product like i have with this drum rack.
if you move one thing even a bi, it throws everything else off. And you have to re adjust everything .
So to Solve this issue im planning on purchasing a Pearl Icon drum rack..
Anyone else have problems with Gibraltar? And the customer service is a joke .. I dont mean to blast them but its true ..
Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gibraltar drum racks

Never had any issue with my Gibraltar rack, or any other Gibraltar products I have personally used. Well, I did buy a pack of bass drum head pads that the adhesive dried out on but other than that...

Sorry, no experience with the Pearl rack.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaDrumguy View Post
if you move one thing even a bi, it throws everything else off. And you have to re adjust everything .
I owned a Gibraltar rack for years, and I'm not sure to what specific issue you are referring. All racks generally work the same way and I'm not certain how one rack would have a problem that another doesn't.

The only way this makes sense to me is if you are trying to adjust one item by moving it around the pipe without loosening the clamp, causing the entire pipe, and everything on it, to rotate.

Could you clarify a little?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

I don't care for racks. Way too limiting in how you can place things. I understand how people believe they are easier and faster to set up for gigging, but the tedious setup and adjustments, memory locks, tweaking, fighting with pipe placement, tom placement, cymbal placement, then more adjusting, and so on, and so on, and so on... I never want to deal with one again. Did it for my electronic kit years back and hated every minute of it.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

You will be very happy with the Pearl rack. Probably the biggest advantage over the round-bar racks, is that you don't need an additional locking clamp to keep cymbal & tom arm clamps from rotating/slipping. This keeps your expense down, the weight down, and reduces clutter. With Pearl's all-silver rack & clamps, it also looks cleaner.

Yeah... Pearl.

Bermuda
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
I don't care for racks. Way too limiting in how you can place things. I understand how people believe they are easier and faster to set up for gigging, but the tedious setup and adjustments, memory locks, tweaking, fighting with pipe placement, tom placement, cymbal placement, then more adjusting, and so on...
It depends on the need. There's certainly a point where a rack involves more coordination that the hardware it replaces, such as on a 4-pc un-mic'd club set-up. But there's also a point where a rack is the only way to go in terms of consistent positioning, speed of set-up/tear-down, footprint of the kit, and weight.

Consider my touring gear, which is built around a modest/average 5-pc kit. The rack holds: 3 toms, 5 cymbals, sample pad, bar chimes, cowbell, and 5 mics. Try to imagine how many stands would have to be placed on the riser (nevermind, I will tell you: 13, not counting the rack toms, floor tom, snare stand, hi-hat stand, or mic stand) and how much set-up time and coordination is needed to make those stands fit around the kit. Sure you can spike a drum rug, but stands never end up exactly where they did the night before, and just an inch one way or the other can make a difference in your comfort level behind the drums. A cymbal or hat that's an inch too close could mean slicing a knuckle. (Sorry, had to go there...)

Racks aren't for every gig, but in many situations, there's just no workable alternative.

Bermuda
Old 10-18-2017, 09:55 PM

I've had a Gibraltar rack for close to 20 years, and there is a learning process to them. Memory locks are your friend, but the still allow a little movement. What I do with my horizontal bars is I make sure that they are rolled onto the memory lock tabs, so once everything is added to the horizontal bars everything is where it should be. The foot print of my kit is about 7' wide and 6' deep. If I put my kit on stands, it would be much wider.
I appreciate people's love for Pearl racks, but every time I see the silver ones all I can think of is bleachers.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

It sounds to me that your problem is inherent to racks in general and not Gibraltar in particular. With racks, once you get everything where you want it and use memory locks things are very consistent from one set up to the next. That's their advantage along with having less tripods. If you like to fiddle with things a lot or change your setup often, racks may not be the best option. I think the Stealth rack is a good in-between. Definitely my favorite rack system out there.

Last edited by drumdevil9; 10-18-2017 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Without more info., don't know what you're trying to achieve,
that the Gibraltar rack isn't doing it for you. Would be a shame, you get an Icon, only to find out you have the same problem.
That said,
I had a Pearl DR-100 (daddy to the Icon), and it was a great unit. Especially since I was gigging with it.
Currently, I'm using a Yamaha Hex Rack ..... and I really like the Yamaha.
Attached Images

Last edited by harryconway; 10-19-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM

yeah the Yamaha racks don't get talked about enough. I think they are the nicest looking of any rack by far. The only real disadvantage is the clamps can be hard to find and a bit pricey. I would have loved to build a side stealth rack out of hex rack.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

I was lucky to have a heads up, right when Yamaha discontinued the Hex Rack version 1. Bought 2 of them at the discontinued blow-out price. Between the two, I have 7 clamps. Extra clamps run $33 (Sweetwater).
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

OK, where's the OP in all of this... lob a grenade in the room and run for cover?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC DEATH View Post
I've had a Gibraltar rack for close to 20 years, and there is a learning process to them. Memory locks are your friend, but the still allow a little movement. What I do with my horizontal bars is I make sure that they are rolled onto the memory lock tabs, so once everything is added to the horizontal bars everything is where it should be. The foot print of my kit is about 7' wide and 6' deep. If I put my kit on stands, it would be much wider.
I appreciate people's love for Pearl racks, but every time I see the silver ones all I can think of is bleachers.
What this guy said^^^

I know exactly what the problem the original poster is having. It's what Symbolic Death says about the extra bit of play in the memory locks. It's minute at the lock itself, but if you have a boom stand on it, it could mean inches of displacement at the end.

So like he says, when setting up, "roll" them bar up against one side of the memory lock, and do that consistently every time you set up and you should see a marked improvement in positioning.

Otherwise, yeah, Pearl ICON is great. In hindsight, I probably would have gone that route instead. Although, Gibraltar allows off-plane positioning, which you can't do with the ICON racks, so maybe not.