DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:47 PM

Default Re: I love playing drums at bars.

I call Fridays my 24 hour day. I get up at 5 o’clock to get ready for work, leave from work straight to the gig, and get home about 4 o’clock. Saturday’s involve sleeping in a little bit, getting up and messing around the house for a little bit, and then leaving for another gig. Playing in bars with a lot of people dancing is a lot of fun, but the older I get the harder it is to stay up all weekend without sleeping much. One venue we play is a 10 to 2 gig.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Pretty much what you have to do these days to get a steady gig... buy the place.
That was actually a factor. Along with not wanting to lug gear in and out of cars all the time.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:20 PM

We played one of our regular bar gigs on Saturday night and it was RAMMED and they loved it. Wouldn't let us off. The downside of that was I got in at 3am with the birds singing as I walked home. (The alto saxophonist is perfectly fine about taking my gear home to his lock-up, which is a bonus.)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 PM

I like playing some bars as long as they aren't dives that harbor the absolute dregs of society. I like a lot of people, close to the stage, that are having a good time. I like to see people are having a good time and I'm contributing to that. Better than the alternative of having only three people in the place and they couldn't care less if you were there or not.

I do not like playing places that are primarily eating establishments. Always seems like the reaction is that bands are a nuisance disturbing their dinner time.