DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:41 PM

Default GC used gear

To all of y'all that have bought used drum gear off of guitar center's site, do they always charge sales tax regardless of where you buy it? I saw a decent deal on a snare on there (never bought anything on that site before), and did a test check out to see what shipping costs were gonna be, and they added a sales tax charge to the whole order in addition to the shipping cost. This item is located in Kansas (I'm Tx), so I figured there would be no sales tax. For kicks I tried both shipping to home and to store options, and the ship to home was less on the sales tax, so I'm wondering if it's just a hidden cost they throw on there at the end. Regardless, it was a deal breaker for me, as it would have added an additional 40+$ to the deal.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:15 PM

Default Re: GC used gear

Usually you get charged sales tax if the state to which the item is shipping has A Guitar. Center in it

Tama Starclassic B/B
Ludwig Legacy Mahogany
Paiste
Zildjian
Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fess View Post
Usually you get charged sales tax if the state to which the item is shipping has A Guitar. Center in it
well, that's pretty much every state, so that stinks. I guess I'll have to factor that into the final cost in the future. That can be a big chunk of change for big ticket items though, so I'm not so sure how good those deals are now, especially with the spotty descriptions.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The deals vary anyway, because the price are based on the amount the store bought the item for. If they overpay, they have to charge a lot, and the item ends up sitting. If they underpay, some lucky customer gets a good price. Every store/dept. manager is different (read: some know what they're doing, most don't.)

But you shouldn't let the tax be a deal-breaker.

Bermuda
Old 01-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhammerer View Post
To all of y'all that have bought used drum gear off of guitar center's site, do they always charge sales tax regardless of where you buy it? I saw a decent deal on a snare on there (never bought anything on that site before), and did a test check out to see what shipping costs were gonna be, and they added a sales tax charge to the whole order in addition to the shipping cost. This item is located in Kansas (I'm Tx), so I figured there would be no sales tax. For kicks I tried both shipping to home and to store options, and the ship to home was less on the sales tax, so I'm wondering if it's just a hidden cost they throw on there at the end. Regardless, it was a deal breaker for me, as it would have added an additional 40+$ to the deal.
Tx may be like CA in that some cities have differing sales tax rates .
You have a basic state rate ,but differing cities may have add on's (mass transit ,fire and police pension).

Never met a government that didn't like fees and taxes.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

I've bought several items used from GC stores, and they always have tax. I think the way it works is, if the selling company has a store in your state, then you get charged tax. I think GC probably has a store in every state. I'm in Ks. and bought a used kit from Florida a few months ago. The tax was around $100 on a $750 kit. On the bright side, they only charged $25 for shipping. I found that hard to believe.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
I've bought several items used from GC stores, and they always have tax. I think the way it works is, if the selling company has a store in your state, then you get charged tax. I think GC probably has a store in every state. I'm in Ks. and bought a used kit from Florida a few months ago. The tax was around $100 on a $750 kit. On the bright side, they only charged $25 for shipping. I found that hard to believe.
Yeah, they seem to charge $20-30 on nearly every order I've done or checked... which is strange, but, you know. If I'm ordering anything from GC used it's probably a great deal already so I'm not too annoyed by the presence of sales tax.