DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Craigslist Caution

If you get a response to a Craigslist ad that reads like this, run away. This is the biggest scam going and guaranteed you will get a bad check. Tell them the deal is cash and they will run away.

Good Morning
I hope we proceed with the sale, with the belief that you will hold it for me. I will need your full name and address so that I can drop the check payment this evening. Meanwhile, once the check clears, my mover will come for the pickup at any location of your choice.

I can understand the complexity of this sale, and i wish i was around to bring the cash but I will be adding an additional $20 to compensate you for the inconveniences that may arise due to my absence. Let me know the last asking price.
My number is 814 422-xxxx, you can text me

Thanks and God Bless.

Seller beware.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Craigslist Caution

I got a similar one yesterday---"i am interested in having it and know it is in good condition right and what is your final price for it?" The ad was for a set of drum microphones with stands, cables, and mixer. I haven't seen the check scam for a while!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:22 PM

It's been going around for a while in different wordings and such. I rec'd this type of reply when listing furniture, a vehicle, paver stones, and musical gear.

Scammers deserve to have their arms broken will a ball-pein hammer...to start with.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 PM

Exactly how does this scam work? If someone turns up to collect before the cheque has cleared, surely you just tell the collector to piss off?

Last edited by crispycritters; 11-14-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I think the main plan ois to show up early and BS their way into making you believe the check will be no problem. probably get enough folks to believe them to make a living.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Seems like a real convoluted way to rip somebody off. People actually do that?
Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Plenty of naive people out there.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

I get all kinds of responses to my CL ads all some effect saying they "want to buy what I'm selling so long as it's in good condition" and "what is my final price?" Since I clearly describe the condition and the price in my CL ad along with posting photos, I just delete these responses as soon as they come in. They are clearly scammers, so there's no point in wasting any time on them.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
If you get a response to a Craigslist ad that reads like this, run away. This is the biggest scam going and guaranteed you will get a bad check. Tell them the deal is cash and they will run away.

Good Morning
I hope we proceed with the sale, with the belief that you will hold it for me. I will need your full name and address so that I can drop the check payment this evening. Meanwhile, once the check clears, my mover will come for the pickup at any location of your choice.

I can understand the complexity of this sale, and i wish i was around to bring the cash but I will be adding an additional $20 to compensate you for the inconveniences that may arise due to my absence. Let me know the last asking price.
My number is 814 422-xxxx, you can text me

Thanks and God Bless.

Seller beware.
Yeah, that's got scam written all over it. Also avoid PayPal. My son was selling his car and someone wanted to buy it using PayPal. I did a bit of checking and found it's a regular scam. People steal log-in information from a real PayPal account and then use that to transfer the money. Everything looks good, until the actual owner finds out he/she has been robbed. Then you have to pay the money back and you've lost your car, drum set, whatever.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
Also avoid PayPal.
Granted for something as sizeable as a car, I wouldn't accept anything less than a bank cheque or cold hard cash. But for 99% of all other internet purchases, Paypal is as safe as it gets.

Paypal offer full compensation. As far as recourse after a rip off is concerned, they're easier to deal with than just about anyone. Far easier than the tedious process of chasing your bank to recoup funds lost through credit/debit card fraud.

I've made several claims and been swiftly looked after each time. Generally speaking, I won't pay anyone over the internet if they don't offer a Paypal option.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:09 AM
Administrator - Mayor

here is the crazy part. Everyone of these scammers, 100%, have gmail.com emails. The other part was the email I go above was sent to me minutes after my posting the sale. Almost like a robot-call or mail.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the 21st Century.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Granted for something as sizeable as a car, I wouldn't accept anything less than a bank cheque or cold hard cash. But for 99% of all other internet purchases, Paypal is as safe as it gets.

Paypal offer full compensation. As far as recourse after a rip off is concerned, they're easier to deal with than just about anyone. Far easier than the tedious process of chasing your bank to recoup funds lost through credit/debit card fraud.

I've made several claims and been swiftly looked after each time. Generally speaking, I won't pay anyone over the internet if they don't offer a Paypal option.
I agree PayPal is fine. But there isn't much one can do if someone hacks your PayPal account and starts using it to buy things. That's what's happening with cars, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen with instruments.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
I agree PayPal is fine. But there isn't much one can do if someone hacks your PayPal account and starts using it to buy things. That's what's happening with cars, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen with instruments.
But a credit/debit card carries exactly the same risks. I see no more reason to avoid using Paypal than I do either of those payment methods. Paypal as a site is far more secure than any number of websites that people happily provide their financial details to on a daily basis.

The important thing is recourse and protection. Of which Paypal offer both. You can't stop theft or fraudulant activity. It's gonna occur anyway. But you can take steps to minimise its impact should you ever fall victim. My experiences have taught me that Paypal is one of the better services with respect to that minimisation and as a result, I figured a counter point to the "avoid Paypal" argument was ripe for discussion.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:53 AM
Silver Member

All transactions are cash only, in person, and final. I've been doing business this way since long before Craigslist or Ebay, and never had any problems!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
But a credit/debit card carries exactly the same risks. I see no more reason to avoid using Paypal than I do either of those payment methods. Paypal as a site is far more secure than any number of websites that people happily provide their financial details to on a daily basis.

The important thing is recourse and protection. Of which Paypal offer both. You can't stop theft or fraudulant activity. It's gonna occur anyway. But you can take steps to minimise its impact should you ever fall victim. My experiences have taught me that Paypal is one of the better services with respect to that minimisation and as a result, I figured a counter point to the "avoid Paypal" argument was ripe for discussion.
That's not what I mean. The problem isn't with PayPal. But if someone gets access to someone else's PayPal account and purchases something with it, like your car or drum set, you have to give the money back. In other words, you are out both the item and the cash. The problem isn't with PayPal, it's with scammers who have figured out how to take advantage of people through CL.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

For a long time now I've been into researching internet scams, and on the rare occasion I get targeted by a scammer, it doesn't end well for them. I was selling a Roland TD-10 kit for my church in Alaska some years back, and I had a response similar to this. I played it through because I immediately recognized the scam, but also had the know-how and tools to prosecute it.

The thing is, usually the check will be a cashier's check drawn against a fictional business. You can cash it, but when the bank finds out the account against which it is to be drawn doesn't exist, they will levy the funds back against you. Meanwhile, you're out whatever you shipped them. Often the scammer will include "some extra money for your trouble", which means not only did you lose the goods and the cost of shipping, but the profit plus some.

In my case I kept the scammer stringing along for long enough to backtrack his IP. When the cashier's check came via FedEx, I didn't open it and bagged it. The very ironic thing was, the whole thing was a couple of Nigerian guys running an electronics shop in Durham, NC - right down the road from where an old Army buddy of mine lived.

I asked him if he'd like to get some intel for me and he of course said sure. So we got pictures of the perps, and I sent the whole kit and kaboodle to the FBI's internet fraud division.

Never wire money. Never accept checks for a Craigslist transaction. Whenever possible meet in a neutral business - INSIDE the business if possible. Never go to a transaction alone. And if someone from "out of state" or named "Amy Sanders" answers your ad, forget it.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

What Al said, in spades. I work at a financial institution, and I will tell you, you absolutely cannot trust even the most professional looking cashier's or certified check. Every check I've ever seen that was presented from a CL transaction has been counterfeit. Good counterfeits, but drawn on invalid or fictitious accounts.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:35 PM

I hope this isn't too off topic to the scammer issue, but since it's CL related I thought I'd ask.

I've been encountering a problem with CL lately where I respond to an add, by copy/ paste email, but never hear back from the seller, and it's happened on multiple ads. So I googled it, and evidently it's a "thing" some people are experiencing where CL isn't properly forwarding email from some accounts. The incompetent wankers.

Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by Tone Laborer; 11-18-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:53 PM

My Mother had one of these, and me, being like 11 at the time decided to mess with the girl, and yes, it was a girl.
I told her to give me her address. She wouldn't let go of our deal. I told her at her residence, or no deal. She still pushed. She sent the check in the mail and everything. I proceeded to show her a video of me ripping the check. She sent another one. NOTE- it had the same check number on it. I responded the same way. I then told her to lock her doors around 9:00 pm. And deleted her from my mothers contacts.
It has no lastling affect, but I caused her trouble for 2 1/2 weeks and left her in a bit of worry. Hopefully stalled her next scam.
This was over a four-wheeler, btw
Old 12-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
I hope this isn't too off topic to the scammer issue, but since it's CL related I thought I'd ask.

I've been encountering a problem with CL lately where I respond to an add, by copy/ paste email, but never hear back from the seller, and it's happened on multiple ads. So I googled it, and evidently it's a "thing" some people are experiencing where CL isn't properly forwarding email from some accounts. The incompetent wankers.

Anyone else had this problem?
I don't copy and paste the email, I click on the reply link at the top. and use the CL email address provided. Click on the yellow box and you will see options the seller uses.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

I think anybody who has ever sold anything on CL has received that email, or one just like it. But really any internet purchase has the potential for fraud, even cash transactions. There are thousands of cases of people being robbed during CL deals, and most of them in public places in broad daylight. There is no 100% safe way to conduct business with people on CL. Its why I still use Ebay or Reverb for most high dollar transactions. No face to face meetings and the transaction is guaranteed. I will sell smaller items like cymbals or stompboxes on CL, but for expensive amps or guitars its just not worth the risk.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:00 AM

A fool and their money....no sympathy.
Wood Sticks

Inspired By Phil Gould
Old 01-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I hope we proceed with the sale, with the belief that you will hold it for me
LOL.

"Locals" don't talk like this.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:29 PM

I receive one of those emails or texts almost every time I've listed something on Craigslist.

My dad got one on a washing machine he listed. The "buyer" was in the service in Germany and was moving to New York when discharged...but wanted a $200 washer from Arkansas? Dad had received the check already by the time I found out about it and the name on the check had a Seattle address and was on a bank (which didn't exist) from Ohio. The next time the person emailed him he told them the check cleared (which he didn't attempt to deposit) and the washer was sitting in storage at the police station for the guy to pick up at his convenience. Of course that ended all correspondence. I just can't believe this was all for a used washer.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

I've collected three of these checks so far, haven't tried it again, over it. One was sent from Vegas, one from NJ, forget about the third.

The game was to string them along with a believable story and get a check. One in the pic was passable, the other two were clearly fake (offset), tho I believe the bank would've prob taken all three.

Use a fake name. One I posed as a minister out of the country on vacay, told em' my son the bookkeeper would handle it. I was amazed with one who I blatantly ridiculed and swore at, repeatedly made threats and they still sent the check!

The Vegas check came via FEDX to my door. One from Washington DC (pic) came folded in small envelope.
Attached Images