DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Rogers drums back under Dixon.

I got my new snare rail assembly. It looks great and works perfectly.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPloughman View Post
Rogers shells of the 1960s were 1/8" below call size in diameter.
What is the source of information that claims these shells are undersized?
Do you mean the new shells, John? Red Menace speculated that the new lugs are undersized, and I was pointing out (maybe clumsily) that they may not be undersized at all, but cast to the old specs, so that they would work well as vintage replacements.

Other dimensional changes (hoops, shell diameter) might be responsible for the addition of gaskets. IOW, we don't know why the gaskets are necessary.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_M View Post
Do you mean the new shells, John? Red Menace speculated that the new lugs are undersized, and I was pointing out (maybe clumsily) that they may not be undersized at all, but cast to the old specs, so that they would work well as vintage replacements.

Other dimensional changes (hoops, shell diameter) might be responsible for the addition of gaskets. IOW, we don't know why the gaskets are necessary.
Exactly! Well summed up.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

Gaskets are on most everything these days.

Dixon has nothing to do with Rogers. Dixon does not own Rogers. Both are owned by Reliance.

If you don't like the gaskets. Don't use them. People have been fawning over Supras for decades and lug splay hasn't sent anyone to Peace.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 PM

If the gaskets are there by necessity, I get it (re: point about keeping lug dimension the same so that it also could be used as a drop-in replacement for vintage drums). If they were added for aesthetics only, it's a strange choice. It's not a vintage look.

For sure, it's a nit-pick. I think the new drums look great, and kudos to Reliance for pursuing this project.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_M View Post
For sure, it's a nit-pick. I think the new drums look great, and kudos to Reliance for pursuing this project.
I think the nit pick is valid. It's supposed to be a recreation of a vintage drum. The drum looks great and would look even more great without a gasket.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I think the nit pick is valid. It's supposed to be a recreation of a vintage drum. The drum looks great and would look even more great without a gasket.
Well, it is and it aint.
The owners didn't ask permission to build it.
And what they built is their own. This is purely a Rogers Dyna-Sonic of the 21st century. It is not a clone of a 1960s drum. I am not sure, but I believe this is a statement to those who wanted a bunch of clone snares and clone drums built. This is a real drum company. They make things.

The hoop profile is not classic Rogers. There is a wider shoulder, and more of a sloping surface down the turn to the vertical face of the bottom most flange.

The Bottom Hoop, with the snare gate is radically different from the original. Clearance to the frame is 1/16" approx. on either side. The old one was much, much wider.

Tension Rods are what they are. Same is true of internal fasteners with hex/phillips heads and integrated washers. Considering a typical set involved approx. 500 pieces ... machine screws, washers in at least three sizes lock washers, nuts, carriage bolts, etc. The integrated washer saves a crap load of time.

Dampener is highly polished ... never has one looked so good.

Throw and Butt use metric key rods to tighten the pinch.

The Oval Badge has been moved to the second panel to the right of the throw. The wrap seam has been moved to the 2nd lug left of the throw.

When you look through the vent hole, the paper tag is not directly across from it.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

The snare drum video on the site sure got my attention.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPloughman View Post
Well, it is and it aint.
The owners didn't ask permission to build it.
And what they built is their own. This is purely a Rogers Dyna-Sonic of the 21st century. It is not a clone of a 1960s drum. I am not sure, but I believe this is a statement to those who wanted a bunch of clone snares and clone drums built. This is a real drum company. They make things.

The hoop profile is not classic Rogers. There is a wider shoulder, and more of a sloping surface down the turn to the vertical face of the bottom most flange.

The Bottom Hoop, with the snare gate is radically different from the original. Clearance to the frame is 1/16" approx. on either side. The old one was much, much wider.

Tension Rods are what they are. Same is true of internal fasteners with hex/phillips heads and integrated washers. Considering a typical set involved approx. 500 pieces ... machine screws, washers in at least three sizes lock washers, nuts, carriage bolts, etc. The integrated washer saves a crap load of time.

Dampener is highly polished ... never has one looked so good.

Throw and Butt use metric key rods to tighten the pinch.

The Oval Badge has been moved to the second panel to the right of the throw. The wrap seam has been moved to the 2nd lug left of the throw.

When you look through the vent hole, the paper tag is not directly across from it.
Thanks for sharing these details, John - this type of information is important for setting expectations. Customers who might nitpick the new design, are less likely to do so if they know what they're getting. If you can't get over the changes, don't buy it. Personally, I welcome updates and improvements where they make sense. SEMS fasteners? One less washer to lose.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

Most importantly. They are fantastically beautiful drums.