DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 12-16-2017, 12:47 AM
Ghostnote

Default OT: Bombers In Space???...

...I mean, you know....there's no gravity...like, uh....what's going to make the bombs drop?...

Yeah, so I just got back from seeing The Last Jedi. Wow, what a ride! Without spoiling anything (besides the whole space bomber thing(?)), well worth seeing if you're a Star Wars fan. Lots of very unexpected shit going on in this one. Wasn't a perfect movie, I don't think any movie could really live up to the vast majority of reviews I checked out before seeing it. I found the first half of the movie Ok, but I definitely wasn't absolutely transfixed and taken out of myself like I usually am when I see the newest Star Wars installment. Stuff really starts moving in the second half though, and it's worth the wait. I definitely came out of the movie feeling like the overall premise/plot/story arc could have been better.

On the plus side, I especially liked how late in the movie John Williams brought back a lot of music from the first two movies. That really made certain scenes seem like a "real Star Wars movie" as the story and action started to up the ante. A lot of humour in this film, like Marvel movie/Thor Ragnarok level humour, which I didn't see coming, and from points and characters in the movie that I didn't expect. That seemed a little different for a Star Wars movie.

Haven't fully formed an opinion on this one yet. I definitely need to go see it a second time on the big screen though.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: OT: Bombers In Space???...

There absolutely is gravity in space.

Gravity is what keeps the solar system 'working'.

It is also what makes satellites fall to earth when the sums turn out to be wrong.

What there isn't in space is friction (to the extent that the vacuum of space is a perfect vacuum), which means that objects launched in space carry on at their same velocity until they hit something.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:29 AM

I haven't seen it yet but I'm assuming some type of kinetic bombardment weapon?

Like the last post yes lots of gravity in space. Any object with mass produces/has gravity. Even mountains can produce a measurable distortion compared to earth regular gravity (if you are very close). The more mass you have the more gravity. So for an example a satellite or weapons system in orbit around a planet looks like it is just kind of floating out there. But what is really happening is it is falling (being pulled down by gravity). But it does not hit the ground because it is traveling so fast that it's fall matches the curve of the earth so with minor adjustments it "falls" perpetually keeping it the same distance from the ground.

Theoretically If you were to take a big tungsten steel rod or something like that and propel it downwards from space gravity would take over and pull it down faster and faster, building massive kinetic energy. The atmosphere by then would not slow it much, and when it hit the ground it would deliver all that energy to the earth causing all kinds of bad stuff to happen (like larger meteors that have hit earth). Kind of scary weapon if ever built (conspiracy people say it's already been used on China), because it's pretty much impossible to trace and leaves no explosive residue and the destructive power is only limited by the mass of the projectile and the total impact speed achieved. Plus no nasty nuclear radiation left over, so much more usable.

Look it up, very cool. kinetic bombardment, project thor or read this

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-f...n-force-2017-9

Note: I am not a scientist, I just listen to a lot of podcasts, so the above information could be totally wrong but probably isn't
Old 12-19-2017, 04:13 PM

The gravitational pull of the sun is rather incredible.

Gravity has the ability to slow down time, to the point that seconds struggle to crawl. This is why the Earth's core is 2.5 years younger than the crust.

It's also why the sun's core is 39,000 years younger than the crust. That's some heavy gravity.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Having seen the film:

Clearly, we have to agree it's science fiction. There is no sound in space, yet Tie fighters make a lot of noise in every star wars movie.

But no one (in the movie) said the bombs only worked on gravity. As mentioned, only a small amount of push or propellent would be needed to make bombs go in one direction in space.

And let's face it, this also a movie series where land speeders float effortlessly above the ground. As do cargo movers. While even small ships have gravity in space, when they shouldn't. And all planets appears to have the same level of gravity, even though we know it should vary from planet to planet. The realities of gravity is never taken very seriously with in the Star Wars movies. Why start now?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
The gravitational pull of the sun is rather incredible.

Gravity has the ability to slow down time, to the point that seconds struggle to crawl. This is why the Earth's core is 2.5 years younger than the crust.

It's also why the sun's core is 39,000 years younger than the crust. That's some heavy gravity.
The sun's crust?

You got a lot o' 'splaining to do here Mr Wild...
Old 12-20-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
The sun's crust?

You got a lot o' 'splaining to do here Mr Wild...
The crust... er... It's tasty, yet wavy, like that aerosol cheese. Specifically, that tip on the can, where the cheese stayed in an exposed manner and it becomes gamy or semi-hard.

I want to go to the sun to test my hypothesis, and maybe take a can of cheese for comparison purposes. Everybody says it will be too hot and bright, and whatever, but they don't know that I'll be going at night.

I'm no scientist. I just know enough to get someone curious enough to wonder whether or not it was true.

Kind of like how the perfect pressure for making espresso is 9 atmospheres. I have no idea why I know this, or what it is good for, so I give it purpose on occasion by posting it somewhere. Oh, lucky day.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
...I mean, you know....there's no gravity...like, uh....what's going to make the bombs drop?...
Find the person that told you that there's no gravity in space. Have them checked out by a medical professional for lead poisoning.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:00 AM

There are some sounds in space but definitely not Star wars fighter craft. Maybe the sound is from the pilots perspective? Anyway I found this

" About 250 million light years away, at the center of a cluster of thousands of galaxies, a supermassive black hole is humming to itself in the deepest note the universe has ever heard (as far as we know). The note is a B-flat, about 57 octaves below middle C, which is about a million billion times deeper than the lowest frequency sound we can hear (yes, thatís an actual number from actual scientists).

The deepest sound youíve ever heard has a cycle of about one oscillation every twentieth of a second. The drone of Perseusí black hole has a cycle of about one oscillation every 10 million years. Thatís sound on a massive scale, played across deep time. "

Sounds epic! I wonder if I could tune my bass drum that low, lol.

source https://gizmodo.com/there-actually-i...ace-1738420340
Old 12-20-2017, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
I just know enough to get someone curious enough to wonder whether or not it was true.
Star Wars isn't true?

Since when?
Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 PM

This is weird thread so I'll add this: The banana I ate this morning had the Star Wars logo on the little Dole sticker attached. We all know Disney and Star Wars are all about the marketing but really, on a banana?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

While the OP's understanding of physics may be a bit skewed, his basic premise is correct. If I am in a space bomber, and I open the bay doors to "drop" the bomb, nothing would happen. The forces acting upon the bomber and the bomb are identical, meaning they would both move at an identical rate relative to the nearest body. So, no the bomb would not "fall" on its own, some kind of force would be required to push it away from the bomber (or push the bomber away from the bomb, but then what the hell are we blowing up?)
Old 12-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
The forces acting upon the bomber and the bomb are identical, meaning they would both ACCELERATE at an identical rate relative to the nearest body.
Fixed that for you.

Peace, love, goodwill
Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkidd053 View Post
This is weird thread so I'll add this: The banana I ate this morning had the Star Wars logo on the little Dole sticker attached. We all know Disney and Star Wars are all about the marketing but really, on a banana?
OMG you have space bananas!?! I guess even Jedi's need a healthy source of potassium. lol
Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
While the OP's understanding of physics may be a bit skewed, his basic premise is correct. If I am in a space bomber, and I open the bay doors to "drop" the bomb, nothing would happen. The forces acting upon the bomber and the bomb are identical, meaning they would both move at an identical rate relative to the nearest body. So, no the bomb would not "fall" on its own, some kind of force would be required to push it away from the bomber (or push the bomber away from the bomb, but then what the hell are we blowing up?)
This would also mean that you can't play drums in space! (?)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 PM

You could play drums inside a pressurized ship. Or If you were touching the drums with your space suit you might hear something through the vibrations traveling into your suit. But I think your band mates might have a hard time keeping in time with you. Plus now you are just floating in space with a drum set and have other things to worry about other than the bass player dropping time.