DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Do you necessarily like to play the drums to the music you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
After reading all of the responses I am surprised to see how alone I am in the idea that I will only play in bands whose music I like. Why would I want to dedicate myself to playing and writing something that I wont even like when I am done. I would never be a band with a "metal" suffix (nu, death, black, technical-death) or "core" (metal, grind, death) because the idea of listening to alarm clock riffs and cookie monster vocals while playing blast beats is incredibly unappealing to me. How would I objectively listen to the songs we are writing and determine if they are good if I don't like the premise the music is built on.

Obviously not being a professional musician affords me the opportunity to be choosy about who I play with, and my somewhat limited musical taste restricts my choices even further. The desire to like the music I am playing is another reason I wont play in cover bands, unlike Bo, I have no desire to play Mustang Sally. As a guitarist I am also at least a partial songwriter in every project I have been in, so being in a band that I can contribute more than drums is another caveat I have, and another reason why I have to connect with the music of any band I join or start.
I think its a matter of degrees.... I will play "most" anything that I'm asked to play, because I like to play. I won't be going out looking for a gig in a thrash metal band anytime soon (nor would those bands be looking to hire me anyway) so I guess your argument does apply to me. But I will play a lot of things that I don't listen to myself.

The genre would have to be rather extreme (or too difficult) for me to not want to play. The bigger qualifier would be the people I would be playing with. If I like them and like playing with them, I'll play what they like.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:23 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I like to play music that makes people dance. I don't want anyone to be saying, OMG what an amazing drummer. I don't need to be that guy. I want the girls to dance, that's it. It makes me happy.

The stuff I listen to obviously doesn't have to comply with making women dance. I go for roots music mostly, but love some prog and fusion. I'm pretty much at capacity with rock. I've listened/absorbed the rock genre a large part of my life. I've had my fill no pun.

I must make a confession that I rarely listen to music for pleasure anymore. I do, but about 90% of my listening to music is usually me trying to figure out an arrangement, or analyzing my last gig recording.

That really needs to change. The only time I listen to music I didn't make is driving. Too busy trying to make music. Time for a change. Time to expose myself to more jazz. That's where I'd go next as far as listening goes.

My Sirius satellite radio account, I mostly listen to Soul and Blues. Time to use the jazz preset more.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:18 AM

I play in a blues band and have played with the same guys for years around UK bars.

In some ways, it's more like a night out with your mates drinking a few beers, but you also take your drum kit along with you.

A lot of our stuff is shuffle, swing or 12/8, so it can get a bit samey.

I don't dislike blues, but at home on my Roland practice kit, I'll play mainly funk, fusion, odd times, prog and jazz.

And sometimes I simply enjoy playing along to stuff without a huge amount of notes or concentration, like 70s disco or, lately, The Beatles.

But never blues...
Old 12-29-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
I think its a matter of degrees.... I will play "most" anything that I'm asked to play, because I like to play. I won't be going out looking for a gig in a thrash metal band anytime soon (nor would those bands be looking to hire me anyway) so I guess your argument does apply to me. But I will play a lot of things that I don't listen to myself.

The genre would have to be rather extreme (or too difficult) for me to not want to play. The bigger qualifier would be the people I would be playing with. If I like them and like playing with them, I'll play what they like.
This is me too. I even turned down an audition for a band whose music i could play but seemed to me to be full of hate and misogyny. I'm just not that guy.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:18 PM

No.
I'm currently in a rockabilly band and do the usual fare of that genre.
When I'm not playing, I'm into hard metal like Slipknot. It's not only music I know I can't play, but the aggressive nature of it helps drive out the demons that get me annoyed at people in general.

Once they're gone, I can settle down and play the way the band needs me to and be a productive professional.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Do I necessarily like to play the drums to the music I like?

I have two places I play at the moment.

At church, there's sort of an ebb and flow as to my enjoyment of the music that we do. Just like Top 40 radio songs, worship music goes through phases, and right now, the phase seems to be more what I like to call "hipster worship." What does this mean exactly in terms of playing drums? Well basically, these types of songs call for a lot of random/weird tom patterns that incorporate the rims of the toms. I really dislike this phase of worship music. All I need to do is wait it out, and it will change over time. Right now, I'm not really keen on it.

However, I really like playing with the band I'm in now. It's pretty simple parts, but I enjoy the songs and hanging out with the guys. Check out the link in the signature for more info.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:41 AM
Silver Member

Currently playing along to Taylor Swift, I don't listen to her outside of this.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

It's funny, I rarely play the kind of music I listen to and rarely listen to the music I play (outside of learning it). There are a few exceptions like The Beatles which I do listen to and my band plays a handful of their songs.

I love jazz and besides playing and learning by myself never play with others. Maybe one day. I also love Death Metal and I am simply incapable of playing that.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I like playing the genres and songs that I like, and I also like playing most musical styles. More than the music, I enjoy playing the drums, so it's all good. jazz is possibly the only genre that I really don't enjoy playing, because I labor under the poor decision made to ask me to play jazz in the first place. If the saying 'jazz is dead' becomes true, my playing will have managed to kill it.

Bermuda
or the connoisseurs of haute jazz will consider your playing innovative and forward thinking and you will sell lots of records.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

I only want to play the stuff I like - I have no incentive to play what I don't like to listen to.

Playing music I don't like is a total chore and I am simply not motivated.

That's one of the problems with being in a band; playing music you don't like to play.

For example, I'm not a big fan of Country music. If I hear it, I'll politely listen because it's just there. But do I go out of my way to play Country music... No.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:14 AM
Gold Member

Reminds me of the Onion article about Dave Mathews getting tired of listening to his own songs.

I think that would be one of the draw backs of being a professional musician, is you wouldn't have much opportunity to see others shows.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
I only want to play the stuff I like - I have no incentive to play what I don't like to listen to.

Playing music I don't like is a total chore and I am simply not motivated.

That's one of the problems with being in a band; playing music you don't like to play.

For example, I'm not a big fan of Country music. If I hear it, I'll politely listen because it's just there. But do I go out of my way to play Country music... No.
That's why I'm not a worship drummer. I love God and all, but I don't care for modern contemporary worship music. I liked the Resurrection Band way back in the 80's, but that was it.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
That's why I'm not a worship drummer. I love God and all, but I don't care for modern contemporary worship music. I liked the Resurrection Band way back in the 80's, but that was it.
You should listen to Koine then.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
You should listen to Koine then.
Thanks. I'll check them out.