DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:12 AM

Default Not dead yet: Guitar Center

Blending some Monty Python w/ news.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...at-one-daytona
Old 10-24-2017, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Not dead yet: Guitar Center

I suppose this is good news. The GC closest to me has moved and re-modeled to their new look - it's all one big room with the cash registers in the center of the store. It's kind of a weird vibe. But I guess they're doing what they feel needs to be done to compete. The floor footprint is a lot smaller than the former store was , and everybody now wears a matching GC shirt. Kinda' has a CompUSA feel about it now.

I sorta wonder why they keep the GC store chain alive since they also own MusiciansFriend and Music123 (and whatever else online service they have) ?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

GC's a good place to try stuff out.
A lot of people do just that, and then don't buy.

If I try something there and like it, I'll buy it, even if it's been on display or used.

They don't have a whole lot of drums I'm real interested in, but they do have a fair amount of cymbals. They've also got a good return policy, but I've only used it once for a purchase I didn't really think through beforehand.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with the above. GC stores are a showroom and community center designed to funnel money into the online storefronts.

I could walk into my local GC and try to buy a set of coated Ambassadors, Daddario XL 10's, GHS 45-105's, and would leave empty handed because they don't stock the heads and strings that almost every musician uses.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 AM
Gold Member

I have 5 or 6 within a 50 mile radius.
If you go 90 miles ,maybe 10 or 11.
The Santa Clara store is a drum destination store which means they stock $4 and $5K kits.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:05 AM
Gold Member

That new store layout is the kiss of death for drums. All of our AZ stores are now in that format with the last conversion two months ago. With it went the separate drum department, any drum selections and if the store actually had a drum tech, he/she as well.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
GC's a good place to try stuff out.
Really? They've never, ever, ever, EVER had anything I was remotely interested in in-stock.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:04 PM

Guitar Center hasn't been worth my time since I was 15, and their in-store business model has only encouraged that feeling.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:21 PM

It seems strange in my local GC these days. Not nearly as many "shoppers", but way less staff then there used to be. and NEVER any help in the drum department. Heck, I remember the days when the "sales guys" wouldn't leave you alone when you'd go in just to mess with guitars n stuff.

Twice (in the last 2 months) I was looking to go in and spend cash. I knew exactly what I wanted. NOBODY around. walked out to see if anyone could help (with a couple items in hand, but needed things from behind the register). All two sales guys were busy (BS-ing with people). So I walked behind the register in the drum dept, and grabbed the things I needed, and went out to the "accessories" dept (the only place you can actually pay with cash), and the guy selling picks and strings was able to ring me up.

Another time was a bitch, cuz I was actually buying a cymbal, and needed someone to unlock it. Sadly, it's no wonder people buy so much stuff online. I like to touch stuff, and have it in my hand when I purchase it. It's gonna be an interesting future world.

T.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

My local GC always has a good selection of used gear. I got a good deal on a used amp last year that I would have never considered buying until I got to play it in the store. My local music store doesn't deal in used gear, and sellers on Craigslist don't let you show up and beat the hell out of something before you buy it. So I, for one, am glad GC is sticking around. I don't need musicians to tell me what to buy, I am perfectly capable of doing that on my own. I just need some pimple faced kid who can operate the register to take my money when I find what I want, and the occasional manager to haggle with over the price of used gear.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Really? They've never, ever, ever, EVER had anything I was remotely interested in in-stock.
Yeah, and it's even worse when it says right there on my phone that the item I want IS IN stock, AT THIS LOCATION, for a sale price "available today for in store pickup".

That's got me twice. Now I call ahead, usually the "system" cant find it, (or "the operator" cant work the "system"). ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
sellers on Craigslist don't let you show up and beat the hell out of something before you buy it. So I, for one, am glad GC is sticking around. I don't need musicians to tell me what to buy, I am perfectly capable of doing that on my own. I just need some pimple faced kid who can operate the register to take my money when I find what I want, and the occasional manager to haggle with over the price of used gear.

But yes, even with all my complaints I agree with this ^^^^
I would MUCH rather try/buy in person, & get instant gratification for my money spent.

T.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Iíll have to throw them a bone for used stuff. There isnít much around me, but I have at least on occasion been able to see something in person I wouldnít otherwise. In most cases, they have been beat to death, but I can still at least get a feel for sound and build quality. If there was any consistency at all, they could have been a good source to buy from sight unseen. But their excellent condition is something I would classify as anything less than beat to hell if I was going to sell it on eBay.

Iíve gotten lucky a couple of times, but most things have been seriously junk. A cymbal with cracks, confirmed as excellent condition by the guy on the other side of the phone. An Axis X sold as an A model, though confirmed as having the variable drive lever when called. An Sabian AA shipped, when and HHX was purchased... it never ends and doesnít seem to matter if you call and confirm. The guy on the other end of the phone canít seem to see a total delamination and giant dent on the hoop on the drum marked as excellent condition.

For Phoenix, about the only thing they have done is kill the competition. Now we basically have nothing. I live for my trips to LA. My wife visits family and I hit drum shops!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
I look at basses, keyboards, interfaces, PA's, amps, guitars, and pretty much everything else, as well as drums and cymbals.

So there's something to catch my interest every time I go there, whether it's new or used.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:07 PM

Because of the new layout of the stores and reduced staff, I can't tell you how many times I get asked questions about drums when I'm there just shopping. hahaha I must look like I should be working there. the sad part is I know where stuff is and how to help sometimes better than the people working there.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I live for my trips to LA. My wife visits family and I hit drum shops!
Nice! Exactly how do you manage to make that happen?!?

If it were me, my wife would make it endless family and sheer boredom for hours on end... not drum shops! :-(
Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
Nice! Exactly how do you manage to make that happen?!?

If it were me, my wife would make it endless family and sheer boredom for hours on end... not drum shops! :-(
I hit the immediate ones I can, then volunteer to drive when my wife and other family members want to go shopping where we know there are other music stores. Iím offering a service you see! LOL!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:46 AM

I have one 5 mins from my house. Originally bought my Starclassic from them in 2003.....bought a Craviotto from them as well.......barely bought anything from them since.

As someone said, they don't have the sticks I play or the heads I want all the time. Or they will have the heads for 3 of 4 drums but what good is that.

This is similar to my local bike shop vs. specialty MTB shops..... "I can order that for you"......"I can order it on my own".......

They do have a reasonable amount of cymbals but anything of quality is locked up in a rack and finding an employee who wants to sell something is hard....

I assumed it was better for the Guitar/Bass and keys guys......but maybe not after reading this thread.

Luckily I can drive to Drum Center of Portsmouth in like 90mins....
Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 PM

I live in an area where GC (and music stores in general) have no presence despite the fact that Roanoke, Va is starting to look like Portland, but when I first stepped into the GC in Raleigh, NC I was in heaven. They had such a wide selection it was unreal.

Of course, now the novelty has worn off and it seems like even that store has gotten progressively shittier. So much so that I just stopped going there altogether and when I'm there I usually go to 2112 Percussion. Great shop run by great guys.

Though I will say buying used is sometimes a gamble, but I've gotten super lucky with that (I almost trust it more than what they sell new), mostly because I try to buy my stuff online from the Allentown, PA store. They are right next to one of the biggest Tama and Sonor dealers in the US, so the used gear they get there is outrageously good quality.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:59 PM

I dread my monthly trips to Guitar Center, but that Stick Club thing they have going is a pretty solid deal - $5 off a pair of sticks every month!

Also, from a gigging standpoint, I like the fact that, if needed, finding replacement parts instantly for my Sound Percussion kit is pretty much a guarantee no matter where I happen to be. That said, I haven't needed to replace anything - yet.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
...because I try to buy my stuff online from the Allentown, PA store. They are right next to one of the biggest Tama and Sonor dealers in the US, so the used gear they get there is outrageously good quality.
Who are you referring to?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

The closest big box music store is over a 1.5 hour drive from my house. Going there in the 1990s used to be an event for me! I remember walking into the Sam Ash (then-called Mars Music) for the first time, and it was nothing short of exciting. I stayed there for hours looking around. It was pretty incredible. I've seen a real decline in quality inventory and staff over the past few years. Every time I go to Sam Ash, there's always just one guy running between all of the electric guitars, basses, and the whole acoustic room. There's never anyone in the defunct DJ (now lighting room) or drum room. There may be a guy manning the recording/condenser mic desk and maybe a person manning the PA room and the keyboard room. And then there's one person at the front desk. I will have to say, to their credit, they always give me a great deal. The last time I was there, I did a price match on some 50 ft speaker cables I found for a much cheaper price from a sketchy Amazon seller. They even knocked off tax. It was awesome, and I go back when I can.

Now? I go whenever I have the time and I'm out of town, but being the father of three kids (ages 11, 8, and 6), they don't have the patience (and I don't have the money!) to go anymore. I usually do the vast majority of my shopping on Craigslist these days.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:25 PM

Instead of creating yet another GC thread, I thought I'd update on this one.

GC's bonds' rating has gone from junk to junkier: https://www.retaildive.com/news/guit...graded/512290/
Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

CCC- = Debt Default Imminent.

I give them Christmas and Tax Return season. I do not expect them to last much longer after that.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lNUez1JfYs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ectric-guitar/
Old 12-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Eric G has been on this for a while. Entertaining if you can get past the Rutland accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ddxt9JWyYw
Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 PM

All these listed are the main drive why I stopped going there. I play the Evans 360 Hydraulics and GC never stock those. Sticks are pretty much right on retail price and as I know what I want or need, I go online.
There I can get a percentage off & free shipping. Why shop local?

Every now and then I'll drop in just to see how far the train wreck has progressed, but always leave empty handed.

Hitting local drum shops when I travel is my mantra as well. I love to see how the locals stock and what gems they have. Makes for a great side trip.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

I wish they would have died sooner. We may have still had other music stores around still who had gear and were actually interested in helping people.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

If they weren't nailed to the perch they'd be pushing up the daisies!
Old 12-15-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Rogers View Post
Who are you referring to?
Dale's Drum Shop would be my guess.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Everything else aside, GC's selection has never been very good. I have a GC maybe 2 miles from my house, and regularly visit other GC's throughout southern California. This year, despite dozens of GC visits, I managed to make a total of one purchase from them: a $36 used cymbal (actually an unusually smokin deal on a '60s Zildjian 20" ride!)

Given that GC is the closest music store to me, and their multiple other locations in the vicinity... it's kind of telling that with over $5,300 in personal instrument purchases in 2017, less than 1% went to GC. I can't even get a current copy of DRUM! magazine there!

I don't want to see them go, I want to see them get better and do things right. Stock stuff that drummers want, whether beginner or pro (GC knows well that pros rarely shop there.) Price items fairly. I regard GC as the Best Buy of the retail world - plenty of buying power that somehow does not get passed along to consumer. And hire people that have at least some knowledge of the product they're ringing up at the register.

I'd love to sit down with their honchos and explain where they're missing the mark in several areas, but I also know that there are passionate people in corporate who can't get their thoughts heard, so it's just another unfortunate case of 'deaf ears' on the part of upper management.

Yes, I know the bigger problem is that they're extremely leveraged, but Ayres should be able to manage that. At their level, a billion or two is not an impossible number to get resolved.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 12-15-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

I bought things like sticks and heads at GC, I bought my Pork throne there and it's an okay place to pickup some decent monitors, headphones or what have you...

Basically the really generic stuff that isn't affecting your music or musical options. The actual instruments, cymbals, stuff that matters I tend to buy elsewhere.

Now I even have a great dedicated local drum store so I can get almost everything there and GC gets even less of my money unless I'm away from home and need breakables.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnhands View Post
Dale's Drum Shop would be my guess.
Dale's is a 90min-2hr drive from Allentown, so not what I would consider "right next to".
Not that I go in there often, but I've never seen anything worth buying in that GC.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Today:

It's going to take a miracle.

Quote:
UPDATE: Guitar Center's proposed debt exchange would constitute a default: Moody's

Today 11:51 AM ET (MarketWatch)

Moody's Investors Service downgraded its probability of default rating on Guitar Center Inc.'s debt to Ca-PD from Caa1-PD, and said that if an exchange offer announced earlier this week goes through, it will constitute a distressed exchange, an event of default. Guitar Center, the biggest retailer of musical instruments in the world, said it will exchange its $325 million of 9.625% senior unsecured notes that mature in 2019 for new senior unsecured notes due 2022 with a 5% cash pay and 8% payment-in-kind feature; will issue new $635 million senior secured notes due 2021; and amend and extend $375 million of asset-based loans to 2022 from 2019. "Although the exchange proposal would constitute a distressed exchange, if completed as planned, it will alleviate Moody's concern regarding GCI's significant and relatively near-term debt maturities and provide the company with some increased financial flexibility," Moody's senior vice president Keith Foley said in a note. "However, GCI's high pro forma leverage with debt/EBITDA on a Moody's adjusted basis at above 6.2 times -- total debt increases by $50 million as a result of the transaction -- remains a key credit concern, particularly given Moody's opinion that there continues to be a relatively limited revenue visibility regarding the retail environment for musical instruments." Guitar Center has struggled for the past year with a debt burden taken on as part of a 2007 LBO by private-equity firm Bain Capital. The 9.625% notes due 2020 were last quoted at 74 cents on the dollar, according to MarketAxess in a trade from Feb. 15, to yield 26.13%, or 2,394 basis points over Treasurys.