DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Your drumming education?

Self taught until 12ish and had theory lessons.

Went to uni and was taught by:
Steve Palmer (Carls bro)
Mal Garratt
Jim Chapin (Private lesson but what a lesson!)

Been trying to learn taste ever since :)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:33 AM

Started 3 years ago with a local (NJ) pro teacher and retired jazz drummer. Never have I worked harder to learn something. I'm self taught on guitar, bass and decided to do drums correctly.

It's been a very challenging but rewarding process and I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about quitting. Starting from scratch at 50 is harder than I thought. My teacher Sal LaRocca runs me through the gauntlet. Books like Reed's Syncopation, Accents and Rebounds, Stick Control, Chapin, NARD snare solos....tons of rudimental work. I wish I was better at this but I really don't get to play with anyone so it's all practice and jamming to tracks. But I practice in a very structured way about 6-8 hours a week. I'm probably better than I think I am at this point but really need to find a way to get with other musicians and test myself. It's a journey.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:13 AM

I'm 100% self-taught - something that I'm both proud and not proud of. Proud because I think I'm an ok drummer, and not proud because I know I could be better, but I never really practice.

Started at 14 when my mom gave me a drum set for xmas (instead of the turntables I wanted - god bless her). Now I'm 41 and attempting to learn to play bass and guitar as well. Been doing some online courses but will probably get some real lessons next year.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
Private Lessons with:

Tony Williams
Billy Hart
Jeff Watts
Mark Mondesir
Jeff Herschfield
John Riley
Kenny Clare
Terry Clarke
Joel Rothman
Max Abrams (Simon Phillips´ teacher)

and SEVERAL others.
You have so many drum hero's in you list that it is hard to fathom. Thank you for having the ambition to pursue so many awesome drummers for tutelage. I got to go to a clinic and take some lessons from Joe Morello when I was young, and I talked with Tony Williams in intimate clubs I've seen him in a few times. What a great guy. Deities in my mind. I studied under a good local jazz and rudiment drummer, Hank Houst, for 6 years starting in the 5th grade. I did high school band (drum section leader for two years), and orchestra (I loved tympani, but played everything). I was a music major in college for a few years, and I played in a lot of rock, jazz, funk, pop, original bands in the 80s, then quit drumming for too many years, as I raised my kids as a single dad. Now I'm old, slow,and play blues / R&B / rock in my basement where no-one can hear me.
I still love playing the drums!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:08 AM
Administrator

I also have taken lesoons on line from that fine educational sire Expert Village.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Got my degree on another instrument. I went to university pretty late though, so I didn't really leran much. I was also plagued by health issues most of the time.

Drums I picked upmainly because my teaching job required it. At least if I wanted to do it well, anyway.

I've got pretty much every book and DVD out there that's related to what I'm interested in supplemented with lessons from various professional drummers and educators from time to time.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:22 PM

Had lessons at school (glock one week, kit the next), but was conned into dropping out of the oversubscribed drum lessons by the head of the music department, in exchange for unlimited practice on the kit in the music room (I didn't have a kit at that stage). The first day I went to practice, said head of music screamed at me to get out. Damn, I was gullible.

Then went to a music workshop in south London, whose drum teachers included Steve White, Charles Hayward and Gary Wallis.

Had private lessons after that, but as the teacher was screaming the most blasphemous, foul-mouthed abuse at his wife in front of me every week, I couldn't wait to get out there.

Attended a week long summer drum academy, hosted by Steve White and Craig Blundell, every year for around five years.

Semi-regular private lessons with one of the drummers mentioned above.

It's getting conned out of lessons at school that still irks me to this day. And I'm 48.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Loved drums for as long as I can remember. If there was ever a live band, somehow I would work myself in, around and through things to get behind the drummer. I was a really shy kid and for the most part stayed out of things, but drums lured me in. My parents would constantly say music is a dead end road and has no future, so would not entertain any musical interests. At 15, I found myself behind a set with no one around and to my amazement, could play about three different beats. I was hooked!

I got my first job and saved every penny and got myself a set of drums, but still no lessons. I pretty much bought myself from listening to rock and metal tunes. I joined the HS marching band and played snare and quads. Probably the most fun I've had.

Had a few bands over the years and played live a whole bunch for a while. Thought I was decent enough, because for the most part my bands liked me and I could hang and keep good time. Had to give up playing several times, due to apartment living, work/life obligations, and at one point, unemployment forced me to sell everything to survive.

Several years ago, I found a cheap set on CL, but was complete with workable cymbals, so I was back in the game. Thought I was doing well enough till I found this forum and realized differently. Started to take real lessons for the first time and it's been a game changer. I've actually gone backwards in ability, because I've been trying to shed some old bad habits, which have kept me from really growing. I spent years frustrated, but didn't really know why till I started taking lessons. That's when things started to click.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish other than just digging in and learning this awesome instrument. Will figure that out later. Too busy working through lessons to be concerned with any other distractions at this point.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 PM

None - just watching, listening, copying, experimenting and creating.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Five years of Jr/Senior high school band and orchestra. Back when snare heads were calf.
Same for me -- but you forgot the cat gut snares! Also many private lessons on foot and hand technique.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:22 PM

The guy who self taught me was not a great teacher ;)

Started at age 18. Attempted to learn by playing along to records with my headphones on. Later tried to pick up things from other drummers when I could (who usually weren't much better than me).

At 53 I am embarrassed to admit I have acquired a lot of bad habits and am limited on what I can do. Job, kids, and an aging father who needs a large amount of attention sucks the life and time out of me so I don't play much anymore anyways.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 PM
dmacc
This message has been deleted by dmacc.