DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:44 AM

Default My Goal To Pursue: Put Together A Ron Tutt Ludwig Kit But...

....I need some ideas on how much space I'll need for it.

I know a couple of players who have built their own kits from stuff bought off of Ebay or from drum stores (Brad Swiger & Udo Masshoff - they're both FB friends of mine) and I'm badly wanting to replicate their setup - but I am going to need two major things besides the money to do it with and the drums and hardware: A building & I need to know how big that building will need to be?

Brad has told me that he has some spare drums that I can buy from him (some of those spares include the 6"/8"/10"/12" concert toms that you see in the pictures of his kit - which are the majority of pictures. I don't have many pictures of Udo's kit even though both are the same almost except for the fact that Udo keeps his Pang (China) cymbal turned upside down - he claims that it's more "musical" that way).

I live with my parents due to being disabled (I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that in the past here) and Mom is pretty much dead-set on me not having a drum kit like this due to there being too many people around - but I've told her that I can have a place built where I can totally soundproof it (to the best of my knowledge, at least) and it won't bother the neighbors at all. And if I don't start on this now she'll think that I'm just talking b.s. or I'm "going through a phase" (I used to hear that a lot growing up as a kid!).

So....in your opinion, how big would the building need to be to house a replica King-Tutt blue sparkle Ludwig drum kit like this? I'll show you Brad and Udo's kits in the hopes that you can give me some ideas.

Thanks, fellas!

Here are the kits (I apologize for the size of the pictures in advance. The last two pictures are of Udo Masshoff's Tutt kit.

All that I'm simply trying to figure out is how much room I'm going to need for the kit):
Attached Images

Phil. 4:13; Jer. 29:11
Old 06-07-2016, 07:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: My Goal To Pursue: Put Together A Ron Tutt Ludwig Kit But...

My studio is 12 x 20. You could get by with that. But I'd make a man cave and go 30 x 20 or close to it. And you must have a little 4 piece kit in addition, that way you can trade on and off with another drummer, doubling the fun! Plus you need some space to move around in the room after everything is set up. You have to have a sound system, a fridge, perhaps a small PA..computer workstation, a couch and coffee table..a toilet would be great but $. You'll be out of your parent's hair, they're happy, you're happy...

I would go all out to the best of your ability and do it up nice. It's the best thing a drummer can have, a place to practice anytime without disturbing anyone. It's really necessary IMO. No one wants to hear a drummer practice. I know I used to feel stifled when I knew people could hear me practice. I didn't want to subject them to the process. A studio is a must have luxury if you can swing it.

Since you're building new, you can do a superior soundproofing job. As long as you don't plan on moving, go for it.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My studio is 12 x 20. You could get by with that. But I'd make a man cave and go 30 x 20 or close to it. And you must have a little 4 piece kit in addition, that way you can trade on and off with another drummer, doubling the fun! Plus you need some space to move around in the room after everything is set up. You have to have a sound system, a fridge, perhaps a small PA..computer workstation, a couch and coffee table..a toilet would be great but $. You'll be out of your parent's hair, they're happy, you're happy...

I would go all out to the best of your ability and do it up nice. It's the best thing a drummer can have, a place to practice anytime without disturbing anyone. It's really necessary IMO. No one wants to hear a drummer practice. I know I used to feel stifled when I knew people could hear me practice. I didn't want to subject them to the process. A studio is a must have luxury if you can swing it.

Since you're building new, you can do a superior soundproofing job. As long as you don't plan on moving, go for it.

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. We don't plan on moving. My parents (one step-parent due to my real father passing away when I was 3 in 1980) plan on this place being mine after they're gone. I already have a "man cave" and I stay out here all the time so I'm already out of my parents hair - just convincing them both to let me have a drum kit is the problem because they think that it will bother our neighbors.

That info helps. Now, I just need to convince my parents to let me build onto my "man-cave" so I can include a drum kit like what's in the original post - and then I'll work towards getting what I need. There wouldn't be a second drummer to trade anything off with - it's just me, myself & I (as the old saying goes).

I've wanted to build one of these Tutt kits for a very long time - I just never knew that it was possible until I saw Brad & Udo's drum kits.

The two big problems I face right now are having the money to do this with - and convincing my Mom that I can soundproof the building so that nobody but me can hear the drums. I'm 40 and disabled with mild Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus (the latter is more commonly known as 'water on the brain'). I, of course, was born with both conditions (doctors said that I would never live but - that if I did live, I would not live to be a teen-ager so every single day I get is a gift from God).

This may just be a "pipe dream" due to our financial status (which isn't good at all) but - I really want to prove to Mom that this isn't just a "phase" I'm going through with wanting a drum kit. Drums were the very first thing I learned to play as a young kid (in church). Ever since, drums have fascinated me. Of course, Tutt is my very favorite player. I like the entire original lineup of Elvis's "TCB Band", actually, since I can play more than just drums.

It would be nice if there were some sort of association or non-profit group that provided drums to people such as myself who can't really afford them on my own.

Again, I appreciate the response, Larry. It was very helpful. :)

Last edited by Tony Trout; 06-07-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

I'd highly recommend you read these two books:

"Keep the Peace!" by Mark Parsons, which was written with drummers in mind.

and

"Build it Like the Pros" by Rod Gervais, which much bigger and more detailed.

Which will explains in much more detail about how to build a sound resistant room.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I'd highly recommend you read these two books:

"Keep the Peace!" by Mark Parsons, which was written with drummers in mind.

and

"Build it Like the Pros" by Rod Gervais, which much bigger and more detailed.

Which will explains in much more detail about how to build a sound resistant room.
Would agree

If you are planning to build so no one hears you be prepared to open that wallet and pull out that credit card, it ain't cheap ;-) When I built my room in my basement I could have easily gone $3000-$5000 if not more had I wanted to make it "sound proof". Keep in mind if you are adding on or building a new building you'll need to make sure you have some sort of heat and air to keep you comfy and your drums protected from the heat of summer and cold of winter.

Many people think putting up acoustic foam, blankets, egg crates etc is sound proofing and the reality is it is not. That only treats the internal reflections in the room and does not stop sound from escaping. Mass and air are what you need. Read those books and you'll have a better understanding. Also www.auralex.com has a lot of good info on soundproofing and sound treatment
Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 PM

I very much appreciate the replies, fellas. As soon as I get a current loan paid off, I'm going to see if I can't borrow enough to get going with this project. I don't want to be twenty years down the road and wish I'd done it sooner when I may not be able to play as well as I do now (even though I don't have a kit).
Old 06-10-2016, 04:10 AM

HUGE UPDATE:

I've got a chance to get the drum kit I've been wanting - meaning that this opportunity literally "fell in my lap" this evening - but it may totally fall through due to not having a place to put one and not having the money it will take for surveying and building on to my little place here so I can "house" the kit here and due to Mom bitching and griping about the noise and the effect on the neighbors. :'(

The guy that's offering them to me for sale has everything but the cymbals and the snare drum!!! This is the closest that I've ever come to this happening and it may fall through because Mom's so dead-set against me having a drum set!

I HATE - HATE - HATE MY FINANCIAL SITUATION!! I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT AND I HATE HAVING TO ANSWER TO MY MOM!!! I know she's my parent but - I wish she would give me this one last chance to get this drum kit.....
Old 06-10-2016, 11:03 AM

HUGE UPDATE & AN ANSWERED PRAYER!

Remember me telling you about that King-Tutt drum kit?

Well, over the next few months, I will be getting one exactly like it!!

A friend of mine who sold his kit (Mike Ochs) talked to the guy that he sold his kit to - and this guy is going to let Mike have the drums back (not including the cymbals or the snare drum - doesn't matter, though. I can save my money for those!) and then Mike is going to let ME have his former kit!!!

The price of this? Just $600!!!

I was expecting a HUGE amount of money for what Mike has but - he really surprised me! And he's going to let me pay in payments until I get it paid off!!

WOW!!!!

Last edited by Tony Trout; 06-11-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Tony Trout
This message has been deleted by Tony Trout. Reason: double post
Old 06-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Tony Trout
This message has been deleted by Tony Trout.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Pioneer Member

That's awesome, but there's still one problem here. You mom isn't going to let you set them up. Unless you have the funds to build the room or you can dramatically change your mom's mind what good is it going to do to drop $600 on a kit you won't be able to play?
Old 06-11-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
That's awesome, but there's still one problem here. You mom isn't going to let you set them up. Unless you have the funds to build the room or you can dramatically change your mom's mind what good is it going to do to drop $600 on a kit you won't be able to play?

Actually, I discussed it with her and she has agreed to let me set the kit up here where I'm at and soundproof the room the best we can with our budget and we're going to build onto the building so I'll have enough room for the drum kit and everything else I've accumulated over the years - including two keyboards. I'm excited about this venture!!

Last edited by Tony Trout; 06-11-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:58 AM

Glad to hear it is coming together for you.

The sounding proofing / remediation will be expensive and take some time to do the proper research and then put a plan into place. But, in the meantime you can still play and not annoy the neighbors too much if you cut some strips of felt and place between the head and bearing edge. Strips of old T-Shirts can do the same thing for you. You could also put t-shirts over each drum; use gaffer tape on the bottom of cymbals to help with some of the ring and volume.

These things will impact the tone of the drums a bit, but may help with the volume enough to allow you play that it might be worth it. You could also buy the rubberish type pads that go over the heads and cymbals, but the stick feel on this is horrible, IMO.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:42 PM

UPDATE:

The deal fell through a week ago this past Saturday. I'm very depressed and down about the whole thing and have been since it happened.

Why did the deal go sour? Because the seller (who doesn't even KNOW my family) got upset at me because I was taking my computer to my uncle (who knows a LOT about them) to have a new motherboard installed.

But, here's where thing took a weird twist: On Tuesday, without even knowing that this guy was going to give me a chance at these drums, I opened my big mouth and names were exchanged such as "childish" (which, in this case, he was being just that - childish) and he said, "You just lost your last chance at owning the drums - and he blocked me!!

I've attempted to apologize in any way that I know how - but, he won't have it. The plain truth is that the drums ms are still sitting there at his house because he doesn't play anymore (and neither did the guy who previously owned them!) and he's mad @ me for being bluntly honestwith him. In a PM on FB he even accused me erroneously of using my disability (Cerebral Palsy and Hydrocephalus) to "get things I want" such as the drum kit.

I'm still very depressed and very unhappy about this whole deal......my dream drum kit.......down the drain...........

However, I'm going to give him some time to cool off and maybe he'll still sell me the drums.

Last edited by Tony Trout; 06-26-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:05 AM

*RANT*

Well......just my luck......

The drum deal fell through because of a mis-understanding on the seller's part and my stupid, big, idiotic mouth getting me in trouble (for now) & I have also learned that, instead of being 100% behind me in the purchase of the drums like I thought they were, my parents are totally against it!! I'm very PO'd about the entire deal now!!!

I still want the kit because it's very difficult to find the right era-correct thngs I need (which this kit has - except for the cymbal stands). I've still got a shot at it because he told a friend of mine that they aren't going anywhere soon (and this guy that formerly owned the kit and the guy he sold them to doesn't even play them anymore!)

This is my one and only chance to own a kit like this and I find out from my own Stepfather that my Mom still doesn't want me to have the drums after she initially agreed 100% lock, stock, & barrel to the idea! We even came up with a playing strategy to keep the neighbors from complaining!!!

I'm very hurt, very angry, very upset.....to be honest? I'm wanting to quit being a musician totally. I'm not kidding!! These drums were my dream and they meant everything to me and it kills me to have my parents squash that dream. Yes, I know that they both have major health issues (both have COPD & Mom has heart issues and - unbeknownst to me - has suffered at least two heart attacks which she never told me about).

I'm so sick and tired of finding something that's been a dream of mine to have - only to have the people that I love and care about most not support me 100% like they promised me they would do!! :eek::(:mad: I'm 40 years old!!! I don't even feel like I can have a say in anything that goes on around the house!!! I feel like I'm just taking up extra space - especially when Mom starts complaining (quite regularly, mind you) about how much stress she's under - and I feel like I'm part of that stress.

I would give anything in the world if I could just leave and find and afford a place of my own - but, by then, the chance for the drums would be long gone.
Why can't I get a break? Why are people who I care about always so damn dead-set against me getting anything that makes me happy?!?!?!?!? WHY?!?!?!?

Now, I'm very depressed again.....just great.....just great......
Old 07-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Final Update:

The drum deal fell through completely. I'm pretty upset about it because now I'm going to have to go the Ebay route and look for vintage blue sparkle Ludwigs. I've found a couple of kits but - they're over $2,000!!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:38 PM

I'm back with a fairly good update:

A friend of mine who actually bought Tutt's 1974 COV (Chrome Over Vista-Lite) drum kit (watch Elvis's final television special, "Elvis In Concert" - that's the kit he bought and fully restored) is going to help me build my own Tutt replica blue sparkle kit once I get the stuff I need to get from the Texas friend I mentioned.

The cost (his cost) for putting together such a kit is around $5,000 - but, I'm attempting to save all I can ($2,500) and then borrow the other $2,500 that I'll need to do this. I was hoping he'd be a bit lenient with me regarding price since I'm on a fixed income - but not a chance of that happening. So, I'll suck it up to experience and do my best to get this done.

Here's what the kit will hopefully look like when finished. The only difference will be that the hi-hat won't have that tiny "special effect" cymbal included and those blue pads that Michael recreated from pictures of Tutt's original kit will be the same dark blue that were on Tutt's original blue sparkle Ludwigs & the hi-hat & kick drum will hopefully have era-correct pedals:
Attached Images

Last edited by Tony Trout; 10-03-2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 PM
BacteriumFendYoke
This message has been deleted by BacteriumFendYoke.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

I'm really glad you've figured out a way to move forward with this! It sounds like it's really important to you. Please keep us posted with developments!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
I'm really glad you've figured out a way to move forward with this! It sounds like it's really important to you. Please keep us posted with developments!

It truly is important to me: It's been a thirty year dream to have a drum kit like this, and, I'm hopefully, going to finally realize this dream. I won't be taking them out and gigging with them (they're gonna stay at my place) but I'll still have a ball playing along to my Elvis Presley CDs and pretending that I'm as good as Ronnie Tutt (HA!)
Old 10-29-2017, 02:54 AM

Well, I'm a bit upset (actually a lot upset if you really want to know the truth) because, once again, my sweet mother has talked me into getting a much cheaper ($600) DDrum single-kick kit from my cousin because she feels like $5,000 is way too much money to spend on a pretty much perfect replica of Ronnie Tutt's blue sparkle Ludwigs!!! What angers me is that she knows how important/how much having this kit means to me - she even agreed late last year to let me finally have a kit!!!

What I'm going to do is get the single-kick kit from my cousin - but I'm still going to try to get a loan + save enough money to have the replica kit built - and probably keep an eye on Ebay for something like what I'm looking for to pop up at a cheap price (a little over $1,000 would be good).

I hate it when others try to squash/kill my dreams or goals that I've set for myself....
Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 AM

What I'd suggest you do, if you are at all handy, is get the kit piece by piece and then rewrap it to match that kit $5000 is a lot to drop on a kit all at one time Spread the cost out buying orphans that are the right size and play layup, and you won't feel the pinch as much.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 10-29-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC DEATH View Post
What I'd suggest you do, if you are at all handy, is get the kit piece by piece and then rewrap it to match that kit $5000 is a lot to drop on a kit all at one time Spread the cost out buying orphans that are the right size and play layup, and you won't feel the pinch as much.
Good advice. I lost my kit in a flood recently and money is tight. Piece by piece building up is exactly how to do it without feeling overwhelmed at the cost.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Also the likelihood of finding a vintage kit that size, in that configuration is pretty slim. I'm sure there may be parts that may take a while, but it's a Ludwig kit, so there's plenty of vintage drums out there.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 12-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatz808 View Post
Good advice. I lost my kit in a flood recently and money is tight. Piece by piece building up is exactly how to do it without feeling overwhelmed at the cost.
Quote:
Also the likelihood of finding a vintage kit that size, in that configuration is pretty slim. I'm sure there may be parts that may take a while, but it's a Ludwig kit, so there's plenty of vintage drums out there.

It looks like that's what I'm going to have to do - but, even with money as tight as it is and me not in the best of health and no gigs coming in (that's the only way I get to spend any money is from the money I make doing gigs -well, that and around $50/month to do whatever I wish to do with it - I reckon I'll start saving - and my monthly check - SSI - goes towards my living expenses & such, it's still going to be a huge mountain to climb to get this done. I've thought about asking my pastor if the church where Mom & Dad attend would help out but - I don't want my mom getting pissed at me (long story but.....let's just say that she wasn't blessed with a good temper and I don't have the option of getting out on my own). But, I promised myself that if this was the last thing I ever did during my lifetime, I wanted to make it a reality.

EDITED TO ADD: I just sent a PM via FB to the guy who bought Tutt's 1974 COV drum kit if he would somehow help a brother-in-need out that doesn't have the financial stability he does (he does a "Highwaymen" tribute gig as Willie & also acts as Tutt for the TCB Experience band. And he's a damn good drummer!!!

I'll let ya'll know what he says......he'll probably reject me. :(

Last edited by Tony Trout; 12-12-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:07 PM

UPDATE:

I sent Michael a PM via FB last night explaining my situation with my finances and the fact that there's no way I could ever borrow $5,000 to give to him to have a replica Tutt blue sparkle Ludwig kit built and asked him whether he would consider just doing this one for me for free? He at first said, "No", but when I explained that it doesn't have to be next week or next month - just whenever he has time - he relented and said that he would. I thought about it last night some more and I came up with the thought that, if I can, I'll cover shipping costs for him for the kit (I'm sure most of ya'll have seen it and know that it's a big kit).

I know this probably isn't the absolute correct way to go to get this done but - it's the only way I'm able to do it.