DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default My favorite sizes are not popular in a regular set

Through a series of drum sets, I've come to the conclusion that my favorite travel sizes include a sort-of-shallow 12" rack tom, a 16" floor tom, but a 20" kick. My Ludwig Centennials are these sizes, and I really like them; however, it's really difficult finding this configuration with these sizes as a set without having to special order something. Any other drum sets out there come with these sizes?

Thanks!

Here is a pic of my Ludwigs:

Old 12-10-2017, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My favorite sizes are not popular in a regular set

What's wrong with just ordering a la carte? I've always done that.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:26 AM
wildbill
This message has been deleted by wildbill.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

20/12/14 seems to be the norm.
If you go for a more expensive set, you can order the sizes you want.
A general search for "20/12/16 drum set" brings up several.
Here's one:
https://www.bostondrum.com/products/...6-kit-14-snare
Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 AM

Those are my favorite sizes too. On every kit I have I had to either order it special or order it all separate by each drum. They need to make it easier
Old 12-10-2017, 06:01 AM
Silver Member

Other than special orders or ordering separately, the only kits I've seen over the years ive been playing like that were some cheaper OCDPs that are long discontinued.

I know Yamaha, DW, and I think Pearl's Decade maple have a lot of a la carte drums easily available.

Could look into some of the independent builders.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

What's wrong with a la carte? That's usually how we order new drums.

Of course, if you're talking about cheap, mid-level drum sets, then yeah, you're kinda' stuck. But in al la carte land, there's really nothing you can't get. Time to step up, mister ;)
Old 12-10-2017, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
What's wrong with a la carte? That's usually how we order new drums.

Of course, if you're talking about cheap, mid-level drum sets, then yeah, you're kinda' stuck. But in al la carte land, there's really nothing you can't get. Time to step up, mister ;)
The decade maple and stage customs have good a la carte options and are relativley cheap and mid-level.
With the decade there is even a gong bass drum if it tickles your fancy. And some cool looking finishes (white satin) to choose from.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

I have this problem too. My ideal sizes are 20x14, 13x9 and 16x14(or 16x16). This used to be a standard configuration back in the day. now it's impossible to find unless vintage or custom ordered. I'm going to need to save up quite a bit before I can afford a kit in those sizes. However if I want a 20x14 12x8 14x14 kit I can get one for $219.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Ghostnote

The expectation for every manufacturer to offer every conceivable combination of sizes as a shell pack is unrealistic. Besides, unless you also expect stores to carry every shell pack by every msnufacturer in stock, you are going to be ordering a kit on occasion. Given you might have to order the kit you want, what difference does it make if you are ordering an existing configuration or making a custom order? Sure, existing shell packs might be a little cheaper in most cases, but if you want something a little out of the norm, it's not unreasonable to be expected to pay a bit of a premium to be accommodated. My sizes of choice at the moment are 14,18,26, with a 15" snare. I don't expect to walk into a store and find "my kit" in there. Hell, I don't even expect to find 15" snares or heads. I always have to order those.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

60s Gretsch roundbadge. I think a lot of the early Genesis was recorded on the 20/12/16 setup.

I had an old Stratford (pre-English Rogers) in those sizes which someone gave to me. Think it was beech, sounded good for its age.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be much more to order one from the dealer through a store. They stock different shell sizes so it wouldn't be a problem.

Failing that do what I did get the sizes you want and re-finish the kit. What brand are you after? New or old?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:55 PM

A la carte is your best bet. Companies like SJC come readily to mind that will build whatever you want in whatever look you want.
Sure, there's always the price to consider, but the way I see it, if you have a kit custom built to your sizes, it's something you'll love forever.

i.e.: I loved the "Power size" shells I played in the 80's. When I saved enough for my holy grail Gretsch kit, I went for broke with my 22 diameter x20 deep cannon kick/14x14/16x16 & 18x18. It's my baby and will never leave my possession.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Through a series of drum sets, I've come to the conclusion that my favorite travel sizes include a sort-of-shallow 12" rack tom, a 16" floor tom, but a 20" kick. My Ludwig Centennials are these sizes, and I really like them; however, it's really difficult finding this configuration with these sizes as a set without having to special order something. Any other drum sets out there come with these sizes?

Thanks!

Here is a pic of my Ludwigs:

Stage Customs come in a 10/12/14F/14S/20K configuration, and the 16" floor tom is pretty cheap. I bought this exact setup last year and I take the 12/16F/20K with a RC snare out to gigs.

I have the 10 and 14F ready to go with coated heads in case I need to use them on a quieter indoor "acoustic" gig.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
The expectation for every manufacturer to offer every conceivable combination of sizes as a shell pack is unrealistic.
I agree!

I was just curious if I had missed some decent kits out there that are sold with this particular configuration without having to special order. I wanted to see if I had missed anything.

My question, hopefully, was more about if there were some kits available with my desired sizes as opposed to saying that more companies should offer this size combo.

Thanks for everyone's replies! :)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I agree!

I was just curious if I had missed some decent kits out there that are sold with this particular configuration without having to special order. I wanted to see if I had missed anything.

My question, hopefully, was more about if there were some kits available with my desired sizes as opposed to saying that more companies should offer this size combo.

Thanks for everyone's replies! :)
Gotcha!

Closest I can think of ever seeing your sizes was in a store in Vancouver in '94 where I bought a 12,15,20 Pearl Masters kit when that line first came out. Nice kit, but those thin shells didn't project very well and it sounded weak and thin from behind the kit playing loud rock gigs, so I unloaded them. After a brief stint on a 10,12,14,20 DW kit, I settled on a 10,14,20 1st gen Maple Custom kit. I played the Yamahas for 15 years and they worked for everything. Stellar drums.

I play much bigger sizes now and I haven't touched the Maple Customs once since my Legacy kit arrived, but I will never sell them, they are that good. To be honest, they are far superior to the Legacies in almost every way, but I got tired of their perfection, if that makes any sense. I chose the Legacies specifically because I wanted something with a little bit of knees and elbows- character over perfection.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Rogers drums come in this configuration. From what I understand, the 14" floor tom was very rare so you usually see kits 20" bass drums come with a 16" floor tom. I have always thought this was a little ahead of their time, the 4 piece kit with a 12/16" tom combination seems to be a relatively new development as a popular configuration.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 12-12-2017, 04:42 AM
Silver Member

I have a similar problem - I like 22x14 kicks with 12x8 and 14x14 toms but usually 22" kicks are 16 or 18 deep and with 16" toms.... at least the standard configs out there... a la carte or custom order is probably the inevitable in this situation.