DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Default How much with GC give for this drum set?

I don't have an pictures, but I can describe it:

It's a 2009 Grestch Catalina Maple, but only the bass drum, 16 floor and 12 rack. The bass drum is missing the tom hardware, so there's a hole, also the spurs are missing the rubber, and of course a couple scratches here and there. What will Guitar Center realistically give me for this? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How much with GC give for this drum set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceforjoe View Post

It's a 2009 Grestch Catalina Maple, but only the bass drum, 16 floor and 12 rack. The bass drum is missing the tom hardware, so there's a hole, also the spurs are missing the rubber, and of course a couple scratches here and there. What will Guitar Center realistically give me for this? Thanks.
Most shops probably won't take it. You can probably expect $100 at most. On CL/eBay, you might be able to get $150-200 for it.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

GC is in the business of making money, and they don't offer much on used gear, even if it's complete and in nice shape. So it's hard to say, with incomplete hardware and blemishes, and IF they accept it, I'd guess $75-100. They'd probably want to sell it for $250, which might be a little ambitious.

But you'd certainly get more on ebay or consigning it at an independent music store.

Bermuda
Old 12-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceforjoe View Post

Although Bermuda is correct, you won’t really know until you pack it in the car and get it down there to see what they’ll say. The hole and missing bits wouldn’t work in your favor though. My local Sam Ash has used gear and of all of it, they’re all complete with no issues, and even those are just sitting on the floor waiting for the right buyer to come along. So good luck on your quest!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Although Bermuda is correct, you won’t really know until you pack it in the car and get it down there to see what they’ll say.
This.

GC has no set price list on used gear. It's up to each individual store, and can be affected by who's there that day, how much do they know about what it is, and how many similar kits they have or don't have in stock.

Though I agree, not much.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Expect them to give you less than half the value of what they can sell the kit for. As an example, if they can sell a kit for $500, they will give you probably $200 max on it. They may give you just a touch more if you use that money towards a new purchase at their store. So, possibly $250-275 as a store credit.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

If they take it I would think you may get $100.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

If it was complete, probably 50-60 percent of what they will sell it for. Closer to 40 percent if guitar center online is flooded with them. Would have to check their used prices.

But in its current condition, that won't be much though. They don't like incomplete items. So it won't sell for much at all. Every other estimate is pretty close IF they buy it.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

If you have a MusicGoRound store in your area, I'd try there.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
.... you won’t really know until you pack it in the car and get it down there to see what they’ll say.
Yup, cuz you never know. They could offer you $17 for an Axis X pedal like they did me, or they could give you top dollar for junk and then list it on their website as Excellent Condition, like I find far too many of their used gear! Try several stores. One will likely be blind to any imperfections.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

They are going to give you 60% of what they are going to list it for, they base their price on what the same kit has sold for previously used by other Guitar Center stores or from eBay or Reverb listings.

It's hard to tell without pictures but based on the info you've given I'd say the most they'd list it for is $300 so the most you'd get would be around $180, but it all depends on who's working and how they're feeling that day AND how many used kits they have in stock.

Good luck!