DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:41 PM

Default Drum education technology demand survey

Hello everyone, I'm a drummer and a behavior analyst and I've been working on some technology to better measure aspects of a drummer's sticking performance, for example stick height, and provide that information back to the student to improve their performance.

To that end, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to fill out a demand survey that explains different features and tries to assess their value to drummers?

Also, any constructive feedback or discussion about performance analysis and the "behavior" of drumming is always really interesting to me.

Here is the link to the Google Form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link
Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum education technology demand survey

Seems a possibly interesting/useful piece of technology. Drum corps people would probably have the most use for it. In other areas of music it might be marginally useful for revealing technique problems. Or for collecting data-- to what end, I don't know. I suppose if you were going to program a machine to simulate a human performance.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

I think it would be a great way for students to see exactly what they're doing wrong especially for younger students, some children need things to be interactive almost like a video game so having a visual representation of what they're doing might translate well to them.

As far as stick height goes I normally just next to them and hold a drumstick horizontal a foot or so over the drum head to keep them from bringing the sticks up to their face or shoulders, yes I have students that bring their sticks up to their shoulders then wonder why they can't play 16th notes at 120 bpm even though I've told them and shown them 100 times!

As far as tracking where the student is playing on the drum I normally just put a small circle with a Sharpie in the center of the drum head and tell them that EVERY hit needs to touch the circle, it works for a while but they normally go back to playing all over the drum by their next lesson.

I think the biggest issue with what you're talking about here is price. If it's $500 a beginner drummer isn't going to buy it and someone like myself who doesn't personally need it isn't going to spend that much either, I'd definitely love to use it with my students and track their progress and to be able to show them how they're doing but it's not something I could spend more than $100/150 on.

One thing I just thought of that would be awesome would be if the device could track the patterns that the student plays and displays the notes on an iPad/computer/phone screen so what the student played could be compared to the music they were supposed to be playing. Obviously they'd need to be playing to a click and I doubt that would be cheap but it would be great to have a visual representation to show the students how they did.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:38 AM

Just took the survey. I gotta admit, that should your technology come out on the market, I would definitely check it out. Good luck on it!
Old 12-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

I suggest you move the pricing questions to then end. Hard to estimate cost until you see more of what you mean that is gathered answering the rest of the questions. Interesting idea for sure.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Perhaps it's because of my past experience but I'd not pay .01 for this.