DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Buying a custom DW set

I currently play a Gretsch Catalina Club, but this DW set almost had me thinking otherwise. I'm not a fan of wraps & any natural wood grain finish just has me drooling. I've yet to see a manufacturer do better with natural finishes than DW.
The sounds of the drums go well with the look, so you won't be disappointed.
Good luck on your search my friend and keep us posted.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
I currently play a Gretsch Catalina Club, but this DW set almost had me thinking otherwise. I'm not a fan of wraps & any natural wood grain finish just has me drooling. I've yet to see a manufacturer do better with natural finishes than DW.
You must have received instructions from the Captain on the Starship Enterprise, to put DW on a pedestal. Vulcan salute to you. :)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:06 AM

Hey guys,

I was in LA last week. Had a great time. The DW adventure was interesting.

Many thanks for the recommendation to visit the Professional Drum Shop in LA. That was a great suggestion. It's such a tiny place, but obviously has a ton of history, and the connections to make anything happen that needs to happen. Better yet, as was said, the guy there was a great experienced guy that treated me like a real potential client.

He read my mind as to what I was trying to accomplish with me having to give him very little detail.

That afternoon was the DW factory visit.

The place is great. You really get to see how the drums are built from scratch, and the real craftsmanship that goes into every set.

I will say, it isn't a great place to sample the drums. They have about eight sets there, but truthfully most of them have crappy stock heads, and are tuned way too low. Besides that you have three guys in the room overplaying to be sure everyone knows how good they are, and there is no attempt to have a legitimate sampling of the wood types there. I was somewhat disappointed in that.

That said, I became more and more convinced that to get what I wanted, Maple is the way to stay.

I've decided to have the drums shipped from LA, because there is a little bit of a cool factor, and I think they have the best shot at being in business when I need to go back to a retailer on a relatively high dollar purchase.

Here is where we are at. Cost is my cost. Seems a pretty fair discount from list...let me know if you have any opinions on anything I'm missing...

I see the formatting doesn't come through here, but I'm guessing you'll get the point.

List Cost
Gloss Maple 9,695 5,790
Drums 8x8, 8x10, 8x12, 14x14, 14x16, 16x22, 6.5x14

9900 Double Tom Stand 299 149
9999 Single Tom, Cymbal Stand 209
Air lift snare stand 200
9000 3 leg Hi H at 533.99 300

Shipping 275

Replacement heads 145

Total 10,528 7,068
Old 09-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Gold Member

That's sweet. You've got to be pretty excited. Interesting that the DW showroom was no different than the floor at GC with a bunch of cavemen beating heads into the ground! Sad. I would have expected something quite different!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:36 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Congratulations on making it out here and making a purchase!

So if I understand you correctly, you ordered and paid Pro Drum to get the kit and they'll be shipping it to you? So you can't order from DW directly even though you were there?

Anyhoo - yeah, I do the big important ordering from Pro Drum, and of course, I try to buy everything I might need from there. I've been going there for over 30 years - no reason to stop now.

Did they say how long the kit will take? My 9x13 tom I just got the other day took them about four weeks.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Congratulations on making it out here and making a purchase!

So if I understand you correctly, you ordered and paid Pro Drum to get the kit and they'll be shipping it to you? So you can't order from DW directly even though you were there?

Anyhoo - yeah, I do the big important ordering from Pro Drum, and of course, I try to buy everything I might need from there. I've been going there for over 30 years - no reason to stop now.

Did they say how long the kit will take? My 9x13 tom I just got the other day took them about four weeks.
I haven't actually finalized the order yet. I want to talk to DW and just make sure they agree with the drum size configuration and ask them what it takes to be sure John Good does the timbre matching (may as well right?).

You can order directly from DW but I was told you pay full price, where the retailers have room to discount. If you look at the web site, their goal is to support their dealers, so I think that is the preferred process.

I don't remember where it was, but someone said 8-10 weeks these days. I'm sure it's a standard answer that varies based on pending orders, but they probably fill downtime building Performance Series. I will say though I didn't see much of a warehouse storing completed Performance Series kits, so maybe the dealers have to stock all of the inventory.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:49 PM

Also the tour included a visit to the neighboring building that houses the "drum channel". A great guy runs it (I've forgotten his name). It's a first class online drum tutorial web site with a professional studio. Paid subscriptions only, but in my book it looks like a great way to re-establish my skills while I wait for the kit to arrive.

Probably a pretty great value at I think $94/year.

It's not a "DW" business, but I think in essence it is essentially an internal operation.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubik1014 View Post
I haven't actually finalized the order yet. I want to talk to DW and just make sure they agree with the drum size configuration and ask them what it takes to be sure John Good does the timbre matching (may as well right?).

You can order directly from DW but I was told you pay full price, where the retailers have room to discount. If you look at the web site, their goal is to support their dealers, so I think that is the preferred process.

I don't remember where it was, but someone said 8-10 weeks these days. I'm sure it's a standard answer that varies based on pending orders, but they probably fill downtime building Performance Series. I will say though I didn't see much of a warehouse storing completed Performance Series kits, so maybe the dealers have to stock all of the inventory.
8-10 weeks isn't bad either. Back in the early 90s, a friend of mine ordered a shell bank of DW drums and he waited about 10 months! He's been extremely happy ever since and still plays those drums today (although I think he's not a "disposable income" guy like me ;)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Set ordered today. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:44 PM

The drums arrived last week. I am living with a 3 and 7 year old, so between arenting and them sleeping, it has been a slow process to get it together.

I finally did on Sunday, and it's awesome. It's incredible the change in quality when compared to my 1988 era Tama Rockstar. In so many ways.

It is everything I had hoped it would be!

Unfortunately no pic to post right now, but I can if anyone is interested.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Without pics, itís just talk! :)
Old 11-22-2017, 04:29 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
There are a lot of Sonor finishes I like, but this one shown is gorgeous.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubik1014 View Post
The drums arrived last week. I am living with a 3 and 7 year old, so between arenting and them sleeping, it has been a slow process to get it together.

I finally did on Sunday, and it's awesome. It's incredible the change in quality when compared to my 1988 era Tama Rockstar. In so many ways.

It is everything I had hoped it would be!

Unfortunately no pic to post right now, but I can if anyone is interested.
Would love to see pics! I have 2 DW collectors sets, one bought new (with a great discount) from a shop's stock - that one lives in my practice booth, and one bought second hand that I take out. I've often been tempted to sell the second hand one and order a custom built set. Head keeps taking over and throwing out the "Be sensible" flag!!!