DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Do you wear rings when drumming?

I don't wear rings, so I've never thought about it. I take off my watch and leave my phone in the car, but that's about it. The junk in my pockets doesn't bother me - but boots or new, stiff shoes don't work for me - I also don't like playing barefoot or in socks - old, soft, knackered shoes are essential.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:27 PM

I wear a wedding ring, and while it bothered me at first when it would click against the stick, it hasn't been an issue in years. I don't known if it was a change in technique, or I got use to it. It's tungsten carbide, so it's not going to get a flat spot, and it has the comfort edge thing, so there's no pinching etc.
I can't wear my watch when playing, because it's a big, heavy, chunk of stainless.
Shoes are a must, because the "A" on Axis foot boards are really sharp, and I like skin on the bottom of my feet, so I wear puma speed cats .

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC DEATH View Post
I wear a wedding ring, and while it bothered me at first when it would click against the stick, it hasn't been an issue in years. I don't known if it was a change in technique, or I got use to it. It's tungsten carbide, so it's not going to get a flat spot, and it has the comfort edge thing, so there's no pinching etc.
I can't wear my watch when playing, because it's a big, heavy, chunk of stainless.
Shoes are a must, because the "A" on Axis foot boards are really sharp, and I like skin on the bottom of my feet, so I wear puma speed cats .
Got used to my wedding ring eventually, but will still skip, if itís a long song list or expected to hit harder than normal. Never had a shoe, no shoe requirement, till I discovered just how much more connected I felt with either no shoes or hard soled shoes like dress shoes. Since Iíd look like a total nerd almost all year long in AZ wearing shorts and dress shoes, I went with the no shoes approach. That also sent me down the path of switching pedals. While there were other reasons, my Axis pedals were like razor blades and my DW pedals like wood files, my Yamahas are like silk!

I canít have anything in my pockets either. Never have. Things moving around is a no go, so pretty much no jewelry, watches, bracelets, phones, nothing.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Since Iíd look like a total nerd almost all year long in AZ wearing shorts and dress shoes...
Have you tried wearing Chuck Taylors? I loved the feel when I'm drumming but I didn't care for the lack of support, made my feet hurt.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 11-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

I've always liked flat foot skate shoes like Vans for playing... I've bruised the ball of my foot playing with no shoes and don't do that anymore. I guess I probably prefer my foot to grip rather than slide like some folks posting.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I've always liked flat foot skate shoes like Vans for playing... I've bruised the ball of my foot playing with no shoes and don't do that anymore. I guess I probably prefer my foot to grip rather than slide like some folks posting.
Thatís just it. I like the feel of my feet sticking to the pedals, so a polished footboard and bare feet works great. For those rough pedals, Iíve opted for hard leather soles. They stick, but still move around if needed. I keep getting hung up with tennies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Have you tried wearing Chuck Taylors? I loved the feel when I'm drumming but I didn't care for the lack of support, made my feet hurt.
Never tried them. Actually never heard of them, but may be an option to look into at some point.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Yea, I think it's one of those personal things like stick type and size. I think skateboard shoes are perfect for me because they're designed to be grippy, but not so grippy you can't freely move.

Or it could just be that I grew up wearing skate shoes and that's my comfort zone.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

I leave my wedding ring on the kitchen counter.
between carpentry work, the gym's barbell handles and anything else that destroys my hands, my ring would be ruined. I wear it when we go out together.

If I didn't have to wear shoes ever, I would be a happy person, but the world is really scummy and I don't want to step in it, so I wear Chucks at the drums.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Never tried them. Actually never heard of them, but may be an option to look into at some point.

Really?? Never seen these before? These have been around forever, favorite of many a drummer.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 11-09-2017, 01:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Really?? Never seen these before? These have been around forever, favorite of many a drummer.
Never heard them called Chuck Taylors before! Yeah Iíve had those. Used to mountain bike in them, before I got brave enough to clip in. Donít know if Iíd like those drumming, because they are a but too sticky. Iíve used deck shoes though when the pedal surface has been rough and they worked okay. Still prefer something with more feedback and less stick.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

Chuck Taylor's - look like knock-off Red Ball Jets (though haven't had a pair of those since the 1960's). My drumming feet like leather moccasins with no liner - don't need anything grippy. I wear a wedding band. The current version is titanium - cheap, tough and very light. The old 14K gold version was out of round - damaged from a past life as a block mason; it's been retired. Pockets - pocket knife and keys in front, wallet and bandanna in back.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Chuck Taylor's - look like knock-off Red Ball Jets (though haven't had a pair of those since the 1960's).
Though this was way before my time, I think Red Ball Jets were knock-off Chuck Taylors... since Chucks were out like in the 30s.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:46 AM

I just ordered one of those silicone rings. I'll try it on my next couple of shows in a week and a half and report back whether it made a difference. At the very least I can bring it on tour with me so that if I take it off and lose it somewhere (my big fear), I'll only be out $30 and nothing with much sentimental value.

I also can't have anything in my pockets, especially in my current band where rim shots are the enemy so I keep the snare height fairly low in comparison to my thigh. Last summer I bruised the crap out of my knuckles because of a single penny in my left pocket...
Old 11-09-2017, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcertTom View Post
I just ordered one of those silicone rings. I'll try it on my next couple of shows in a week and a half and report back whether it made a difference.
YES, please let us know. I'm interested in getting a silicon ring too.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I can't wear any metal on my body, playing or any other time. I can't even have stuff in my pockets when I play.
Rest easy knowing you're not the only kosmemophobic member here.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Yes. Wedding ring. Never had a problem with it on while playing.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Just the wedding ring. Always played too much sport to be bothered with any other jewellery.

Doesn't interfere with the drumming thankfully. It gets taken off for the gym though.

Before I got married I did wonder if the ring would slow my hand down......probably more than the wedding.......got the priorities right :)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
Though this was way before my time, I think Red Ball Jets were knock-off Chuck Taylors... since Chucks were out like in the 30s.
You nailed it, Bert! A little homework and I found out that the forerunner to the "Chuck Taylor All Star" shoe has been around since 1917. They've been associated with Chuck Taylor since around 1923.

Red Ball Jets were made from 1951 through 1971.

Awesome!! Sometimes the internet is good for important research!! ;-)

Thanks for straightening me out, Bert!
Old 11-09-2017, 03:46 PM

I hook my ring to my keychain when I play. It pinches randomly and builds up a weird callus if I leave it on.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:32 PM

I get blisters from rings. So.. no rings...
Old 11-13-2017, 06:52 PM

No.
Being in the Rockabilly scene, skull rings are all the rage and I have many. But to use them while playing will pinch every time causing some horrendous blood blisters.

I learned that the hard way. :-(

So I pocket them during the show and put them back on during breaks and before and after the show.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

Strange, Im like the opposite of most of your guys. I like stuff in my pockets and even add things to even out the weight in each pocket. I feel it centers me and helps keep me grounded. As far as rings....no way, would bug me. But I do wear several bracelets (around 9 usually) and my spiked wristband.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 PM

I really can't handle wearing rings or any other accessories while drumming, or even more so, I could never wear a watch while drumming (though I know loads of drummers do it). Both of them always felt really uncomfortable to me.

Though in a way I'm a little bit jealous of drummer's that don't mind, as I always end up misplacing my jewelry...!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM

I take my wedding ring off when I'm drumming, hand-drumming, or playing bass.

Otherwise, my instruments might get jealous. :)

My pockets are always stuffed with keys, wallet, phone, etc. Most of the time it doesn't bother me.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 PM

I wear a thin silicone band when drumming. Can barely feel it.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Anything on my wrists annoys me, but I have rings on every single finger and don't even notice them. Most are now more oval than round! They are all just sterling silver, so nothing fancy or expensive that I'd worry about getting misshapen or scratched. Skulls, spiders, snakes and the like!!!

The only time my rings come off are to go through airport security as they set the scanners off!!!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:08 AM

Reporting back as promised after trying a silicone band. I actually ending up getting 2 different sized ones because the first felt a little big and the floppiness both felt weird and concerned me regarding friction (which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place). I alternated between the 2 during a week and a half that saw 3 rehearsals and 2 shows.

It turns out that in day to day use, the smaller one felt better because of the lack of the aforementioned floppiness, but on Saturday's gig I definitely felt it pinching a bit. It still didn't leave any blisters though which was a big improvement, but it was annoying enough to not love it.

I put the larger one on for last night's show and it was almost unnoticeable. Didn't barely feel any pinching and no hint of any blisters. So for now that one is the winner.

I could see myself leaving it on on a regular basis just so I don't forget to switch it out for shows and rehearsal, though it would be sad to not put my actual wedding band to use from time to time.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 AM

Reporting back as I am now coming near the finish line of my first real tour since trying out the silicone band. This has been a 3 week run between New York, EU and the UK. I've done plenty of this length touring before (though it's been a little while and they tended to be jazzy or at least somewhat mellower), and I've been playing in this band which is high energy/hard playing/long sets for a couple years now, but this the first time in my life of continuous sweaty hard hitting sets night after night.

While I've been wearing the silicone band for gigs since I got it, after the 4th or 5th night in a row on this tour I noticed that the callous just below where the ring is (that's always there)was forming a blister UNDERNEATH. So, I removed the ring and the blister started receding even as I continued to play shows. Long story short? The silicone wedding band is not a long term solution for me unfortunately. At least, if I want to wear it when I'm not playing I won't be super paranoid about losing it when I take it off.

Truth is, though, that between the cold and the playing, my hands have taken a beating. The skin started cracking about 7 days in and I've had to constantly moisturize to get them back to a somewhat painless existence (now I know to start doing that right from the start). Also, there is a slightly sore callous/blister forming on my left pinky right around the lower finger joint. I don't think it had anything to do with the wedding ring but I've noticed it starting to hurt the past few days (nothing horrible, just noticeable while playing and mildly annoying).

Anyway, adult education continues....
Old 03-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcertTom View Post
Reporting back as I am now coming near the finish line of my first real tour since trying out the silicone band. This has been a 3 week run between New York, EU and the UK. I've done plenty of this length touring before (though it's been a little while and they tended to be jazzy or at least somewhat mellower), and I've been playing in this band which is high energy/hard playing/long sets for a couple years now, but this the first time in my life of continuous sweaty hard hitting sets night after night.

While I've been wearing the silicone band for gigs since I got it, after the 4th or 5th night in a row on this tour I noticed that the callous just below where the ring is (that's always there)was forming a blister UNDERNEATH. So, I removed the ring and the blister started receding even as I continued to play shows. Long story short? The silicone wedding band is not a long term solution for me unfortunately. At least, if I want to wear it when I'm not playing I won't be super paranoid about losing it when I take it off.

Truth is, though, that between the cold and the playing, my hands have taken a beating. The skin started cracking about 7 days in and I've had to constantly moisturize to get them back to a somewhat painless existence (now I know to start doing that right from the start). Also, there is a slightly sore callous/blister forming on my left pinky right around the lower finger joint. I don't think it had anything to do with the wedding ring but I've noticed it starting to hurt the past few days (nothing horrible, just noticeable while playing and mildly annoying).

Anyway, adult education continues....
Thank you for your feedback!!!! Sounds like the silicone ring is not the perfect solution. I'm going to continue to remove my ring before I play.
I always put it on my key ring with my car keys before I play so I won't lose it. Thanks !

Old 03-05-2018, 06:02 PM

I take mine off when I'm practicing and when I'm playing a gig. I have always done that.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I'm going to continue to remove my ring before I play.
I always put it on my key ring with my car keys before I play so I won't lose it.
Jimmy, don't you play traditional grip? I play trad and have never had a problem with my wedding band. I have been doing the keyring trick that a few of you have mentioned when I go to the gym, much better that putting my ring in my pocket and hoping it doesn't get lost.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Jimmy, don't you play traditional grip? I play trad and have never had a problem with my wedding band. I have been doing the keyring trick that a few of you have mentioned when I go to the gym, much better that putting my ring in my pocket and hoping it doesn't get lost.
Yes you are correct! I play traditional grip. Almost exclusively. And there is no issues with my wedding ring when playing traditional grip. However, a couple of years ago I started switching to matched grip on a few songs so I can do some grooves on the hi hat and do a better job on my crash cymbal to my left. My wedding ring is kind of large and it will hit the drum stick on occasion playing matched grip.

And yes I also take off my ring at the gym!!

Old 03-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

I cannot wear a ring while I am playing because it wears a hole in my ring finger. So...I have not worn my wedding ring for about 30 years. Peace and goodwill.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:50 PM

I wear 2 rings while playing (both on my left hand), my wedding ring (thin band) and a ring on my pinky (which is my sort of tribute to Ringo).

When I was in school I used to wear my class ring but would get blood blisters from wearing it, which I think was due to the width of the band pinching the skin on the finger.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM

I don't wear a ring, also my wedding ring I always pull it out of my finger and put it in a good safe place (my stickbag) 2 reasons, really really really uncomfortable while playing its like their is a grain of sand in my shoes thing and its messing with my finger motion while I'm holding my chops
Old 03-17-2018, 03:38 AM

I wore several rings on most of my fingers when I was a teenager both on the drum set and in marching band. That was part of my image. I constantly flattened them out to the point of hurting my fingers. The rings had to be periodically be re-shaped by hammering them out on a ring sizing cone with a rawhide mallet. I loosened some of the stones that that had turquoise, coral, amethyst and quartz. My Mom who bought most of my jewelry was not exactly happy about it but she fixed them anyway, she was jewelry maker hobbyist. Eventually, I out grew the faze. When I got married I started wearing my wedding band and that quickly flattened out so I stopped wearing rings and any jewelry, bracelets, wristbands and necklaces included. I guess I did a lot of power rim shots!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

My wedding ring never comes off, unless its hand percussion but I get really uncomfortable playing with a watch on. Possibly the ring doesn't bother me too much as I wear gloves when I play, so there is no taping of the stick on the ring. That said, it didn't bother me before I started wearing gloves either.

Can't play barefoot or in socks either. Usually trainers or dress shoes depending on the gig- nothing too new though, I like a bit of flex...