DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #41  
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM
CommanderRoss's Avatar
CommanderRoss CommanderRoss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 423
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

I had a 24 at home for a while and loved how it sounded in the room. Then I decided to try & gig with it and that's when reality set in.
I then got a Gretsch 22 (round) by 20 (deep) kick and that was the magic size. This "cannon kick" combined the compact punch of a 22x16 and the boom of a 24x14.
It's just perfect.
I love the look and sound of the 24, and play it at home 99% of the time. I just couldn't lug it around and it was always "over the top" according to the sound guys or the engineer in the studio. I have a 20-incher for those gigs.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-13-2017, 11:19 PM
steadypocket steadypocket is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 937
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
I had a 24 at home for a while and loved how it sounded in the room. Then I decided to try & gig with it and that's when reality set in.
I then got a Gretsch 22 (round) by 20 (deep) kick and that was the magic size. This "cannon kick" combined the compact punch of a 22x16 and the boom of a 24x14.
It's just perfect.
I love the look and sound of the 24, and play it at home 99% of the time. I just couldn't lug it around and it was always "over the top" according to the sound guys or the engineer in the studio. I have a 20-incher for those gigs.
This post makes no sense to me. A 24x14 is easier to schlepp around and navigate around tight spots than a 22x20 kick.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,420
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

I've posted this before, but think it's worth another look for this thread:

https://youtu.be/tjSDTM3Q3tU?t=15
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 AM
lovesdw lovesdw is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

A 24 kicks you in the chest... a 22? Not so much!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:06 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,593
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdw View Post
A 24 kicks you in the chest... a 22? Not so much!
Well, this is dependent on the type of heads and tunings you use, and of course, how good your technique is. I like the additional presence of the 24", but I wouldn't say a 22" can't kick you in the chest. I've done a lot of kicking with both sizes in un-mic'ed situations, and have gotten good results with both. I also have a 16x26 that's just a monster and I love that drum too.

I think when you get down to a 20", then there's a little less kicking you in the chest but it goes long on punchiness. But you should check out Mel Lewis kicking his big band with a 16x20 bass drum. You'd think he was playing a 24".
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 AM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,605
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I like the additional presence of the 24", but I wouldn't say a 22" can't kick you in the chest.
Perhaps he's just tall.

;-)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,593
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Perhaps he's just tall.

;-)
Oh my side.



............................
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:17 PM
CommanderRoss's Avatar
CommanderRoss CommanderRoss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 423
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
This post makes no sense to me. A 24x14 is easier to schlepp around and navigate around tight spots than a 22x20 kick.
I thought that too until I tried to do it. I found the longer shell was easier to move as the diameter of it was the same as a standard 22".
How far it stuck out in front didn't matter to other band mates.
Go figure...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 656
Default Re: Sell me on a 24"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
I thought that too until I tried to do it. I found the longer shell was easier to move as the diameter of it was the same as a standard 22".
How far it stuck out in front didn't matter to other band mates.
Go figure...
Interesting. When I had a 24x14 I found it easier to carry around than a 22x18. I guess that's why people have different preferences.
__________________
"My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - Coltrane
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com