DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Default Progressing from a garage cover band to bigger stuff?

Hi all,

Quick reintroduction- I joined these forums back in 2009 when I was in High School and remember spending a lot of time here watching videos and reading through threads as I was first learning the drums. I played for a couple years in my school's Jazz Band (and wasn't great) and when I went away to college I stopped playing. I had always wanted to be in my own rock band but never went and did it. Then one day shortly after graduating I made a good friend who played bass and took that leap.

It's been about 7 months since we started and now we're a four piece band playing indie/alt rock covers. We've got about 45 minutes of material solidly down covering Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, Cage the Elephant, and more. It's been both a blast and a challenge to organize. Covering our favorite songs at house shows has been a lot of fun but we're all itching to take the next steps towards playing at actual bars and venues as well as writing our own material. Thing is, we're a little unsure of how to go about doing both.

So I'm coming here to ask what advice anyone would have to a garage band hungry to write music for the first time as well as book gigs. Any tips or anecdotes about what worked for you or what you did would be awesome.

Lastly, if anyone wants to to take a listen, here's our SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/michael-dittamo

What I have uploaded here is from our first house show. You can definitely tell we're a young band but we're seeing improvement every practice. Hope you like it.