DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Drumsarefun's Avatar
Drumsarefun Drumsarefun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 90
Default Band wants to use programmed drums on record

This band I'm in wants to use programmed drums on computer to record, mainly because of the cost of getting a recording studio for a few days, and they've done everything else without needing a recording studio.

This is very upsetting because it would be my first chance to play on record, and makes me disappointed we live in a time where you basically don't even need a drummer.

If this was just some years ago, we would have no choice but to record my drums, now its just easier + cheaper to do it on a laptop.

I know programmed drums might not sound quite the same, but clearly most people don't actually care/ won't even notice.

So how could I convince them, and are they right anyway? What's the point in using a drummer (other than for live)?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Elven Bones Elven Bones is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

If they recorded all their parts at home, why can't you? There's never been a better time to do this. Invest in the mics and audio gear, you probably need these things anyway if you are serious about playing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Drumsarefun's Avatar
Drumsarefun Drumsarefun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Bones View Post
If they recorded all their parts at home, why can't you? There's never been a better time to do this. Invest in the mics and audio gear, you probably need these things anyway if you are serious about playing.
Yeah, we're just students I guess so not much money.

You mean recording acoustic drums at home? Hmm would be difficult I guess because of noise, plus we don't the mics or knowledge of how to record drums properly.

I think a recording studio will be more likely, IMO it's not even that expensive for a day if the cost is split, but oh well : /
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Elven Bones Elven Bones is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsarefun View Post
Yeah, we're just students I guess so not much money.

You mean recording acoustic drums at home? Hmm would be difficult I guess because of noise, plus we don't the mics or knowledge of how to record drums properly.

I think a recording studio will be more likely, IMO it's not even that expensive for a day if the cost is split, but oh well : /

Well, at least program your own drum parts. That's a useful skill in itself. If you aren't even doing that, then you're right, they don't really need you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Drumsarefun's Avatar
Drumsarefun Drumsarefun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Bones View Post
Well, at least program your own drum parts. That's a useful skill in itself. If you aren't even doing that, then you're right, they don't really need you.
Nah I didn't even get to make the parts, but when we play together I use some of my own ideas. Because I joined after they had already written these.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:32 PM
DrumWild DrumWild is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 387
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Are you able to program the drum parts yourself, to make them more like what you play?

I've been in a few situations like this. One was where I wrote an album for a singer and we went to a studio where the producer insisted on programming the drums in his Linn9000. He's a drummer, and decided that his samples and programming would be better and faster than struggling to record acoustic drums. He was correct. We recorded 8 songs, and got out of there for $50,000, with studio musicians for guitar and bass.

In that case, it did make sense, and the results did turn out pretty good.

Closer to your situation, my college band wanted to record and we were virtually broke. There were no recording studios nearby, and nothing in the way of small or cheap digital recording gear in 1984. Even digital drums and drum machines weren't really an affordable or easily accessible option at the time.

But someone had a basement with a reel-to-reel 4-track tape recorder in it, and they were willing to rent it to me. I did some housework for them in exchange for access.

That was when I got to experiment with recording. They only had three microphones, so I put one on the snare [also picked up hats], one on the bass, and one on the room.

From there, I taught myself how to set levels. Recorded some test beats. Then, I learned how to "bounce" the three tracks down to one track, to open up more room on the tape for other instruments.

If you're motivated to learn DIY, then let your band know that you'd like to find a room where you could record. Maybe they could help with microphones and setting levels.

This could be a great learning experience.

The programmed drums will be clean and perfect. But will they represent the band? Will they really be happy with the results?

And if the band doesn't want to record your drums and insist on programming, then go ahead and get into recording yourself anyway. You won't become a worse drummer/person by knowing how to do this. Being able to do it might open some doors, too.

Bands come and go, but you'll keep on drumming for so long as you're into it.
__________________
I don't really feel like I belong here, so please feel free to delete my account.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:39 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,678
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Bones View Post
Well, at least program your own drum parts. That's a useful skill in itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsarefun View Post
Nah I didn't even get to make the parts, but when we play together I use some of my own ideas. Because I joined after they had already written these.
I understand that this is a pride issue, but you can't take it personally, they didn't say they don't like your playing. Also, you're hardly the first drummer to play live, who didn't appear on the recording. This is a rampant practice in Nashville, where an artist often records with studio musicians, but tours with different musicians.

Unless you're truly an equal member, and would have been willing to pay for studio time, you have to accept that the band did what they felt they needed to do.

Bermuda
__________________
DrumDoug: "I've tried talking to the guys about our stage volume, but it just falls on deaf ears"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:42 PM
toddbishop toddbishop is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Is this a band project or not? And are you an equal partner in the band or not? If yes, they need to put you on the recording.

The band could go into an acceptably OK studio for a day for as little as ~$250. It would be a learning experience for everyone and the end result will be 10x better than what they're doing on the laptop. At the very least they should be willing to try to scrounge up a couple of mics and figure out how to record the drums on the laptop. If they're not serious enough to want to figure out how to record drums DIY, they're not serious enough to make an acceptable DIY recording.

Your guys sound like a bunch of broke (and lazy) amateurs who care more about getting a recording for free than about your contribution to the band, or about their relationship with you. Or about the quality of the recording. If they won't budge on this, fire them now or at the first opportunity, and find a band who likes you, and who is serious about the quality of their product.
__________________
Visit Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog | 2017 CSD! Book of the Blog now available
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Drumsarefun's Avatar
Drumsarefun Drumsarefun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Is this a band project or not? And are you an equal partner in the band or not? If yes, they need to put you on the recording.

The band could go into an acceptably OK studio for a day for as little as ~$250. It would be a learning experience for everyone and the end result will be 10x better than what they're doing on the laptop. At the very least they should be willing to try to scrounge up a couple of mics and figure out how to record the drums on the laptop. If they're not serious enough to want to figure out how to record drums DIY, they're not serious enough to make an acceptable DIY recording.

Your guys sound like a bunch of broke (and lazy) amateurs who care more about getting a recording for free than about your contribution to the band, or about their relationship with you. Or about the quality of the recording. If they won't budge on this, fire them now or at the first opportunity, and find a band who likes you, and who is serious about the quality of their product.
Well one is willing to get mics and do it, but the thing is some are saying - and they might be right - that the programmed drums (which are made on Ableton using proper samples) will sound better, and still be easier.

I would be willing to pay, its not even that much - 150 for the day (8hrs), but would prefer to split it between us.

I joined after they have written stuff, quite recently. I don't know if I'm equal yet honestly
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:45 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Let them use the programmed the drum tracks.

Grab a $100 LDC and a $100 Focusrite, or one of the $170 Focusrite-with-LDC packages.

Get the raw tracks, and lay down your own drum tracks at home or in the rehearsal area.

Compare and contrast them to the computerized tracks. Keep learning and developing till yours are better. Once you have something that's noticeably better, show the band. Replacing the old computerized track is as simple as clicking a mute button in your DAW.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:52 PM
fac fac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 207
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Another option is to rent an electronic kit. You will be able to play yourself and get a clean sound for the recording.

A few years ago I bought a Roland HD-1 kit just so I could record drum parts by playing them instead of sequencing them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Drumsarefun's Avatar
Drumsarefun Drumsarefun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac View Post
Another option is to rent an electronic kit. You will be able to play yourself and get a clean sound for the recording.

A few years ago I bought a Roland HD-1 kit just so I could record drum parts by playing them instead of sequencing them.
I actually have an electric kit, yamaha dtx700, but the Ableton samples sound better than the electronic.

And if its not using acoustic isnt the effect the same anyway.

One more question, is there any benefit to recording other things like synths and guitar in recording studio rather than on laptop in your room?

Whats the difference for these instruments?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:06 PM
toddbishop toddbishop is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsarefun View Post
Well one is willing to get mics and do it, but the thing is some are saying - and they might be right - that the programmed drums (which are made on Ableton using proper samples) will sound better, and still be easier.
If I were in your situation, as a young drummer, I don't care what's easier, or what will sound someone's idea of "better"-- I want to be on the recording. It's a reasonable requirement if you're going to show up to rehearsals, learn their music, and do the poorly paying gigs.

Quote:
I joined after they have written stuff, quite recently. I don't know if I'm equal yet honestly
Seems like they've already given you their feelings on that. You can judge for yourself whether you're in a position to really insist on this, or if they'll even care if you quit over it. Maybe there's no relationship there at all, and it would be silly to force the issue. I would be looking for a better band to join.

btw, if you're going to be the executive producer and pay for the recording session, you may as well record the music you want with the people you want. Just saying...
__________________
Visit Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog | 2017 CSD! Book of the Blog now available
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:06 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsarefun View Post
One more question, is there any benefit to recording other things like synths and guitar in recording studio rather than on laptop in your room?

Whats the difference for these instruments?
The main benefit is that Studios have a knowledgeable person on staff to make certain that things are done correctly. They'll set the proper levels, make certain that there's no buzz, hum, or other blemish that interferes with the recording process. Historically, studios have also had better mic, gear, and channel strip selection.

There's no issue recording at home IFF (if and only if, for you non math guys) you know what you're doing. There was a thread a while back that made the good point that anyone wanting to record at home should go to a studio at least once to see a healthy workflow and absorb some knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:11 PM
fac fac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 207
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsarefun View Post
I actually have an electric kit, yamaha dtx700, but the Ableton samples sound better than the electronic.
Record the MIDI out from the DTX into Ableton and then route the MIDI track through Ableton's drum sampler. I don't use Ableton so I don't know exactly how to do this, but it sure can be done.

I understand that playing an e-kit is not the same as an acoustic, but it could be a good compromise: you get to play on the record and keep the bandmates happy.

I'm far from an audio engineer, but I've recorded 10 albums of synth-based music (mostly hardware synths, not software) and understand a bit about acoustics, dynamics and EQ. I've gone through the hassle of recording acoustic drums for some songs and never been quite happy with the result. I've also been in studio recording sessions when a friend recorded drum tracks for his album, and I can say I would never have the patience these guys had for tuning, positioning mics, soundproofing the room, retuning, repositioning, setting levels, adding a couple ambient mics here and there, retuning, etc., until they were satisfied with the sound. By the time my friend actually got to lay down the first track, we had been there for four or five hours already. Your mileage may vary, but personally I'm either content with a "demo-quality" acoustic sound, or go with the e-kit.

Recording synths, bass and guitars is totally different since you can either using DI and amp sims, or record the sound from the amp using only one or two mics. Even vocals are easier to record than drums, IMO.

Last edited by fac; 11-10-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:15 PM
whiteknightx's Avatar
whiteknightx whiteknightx is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 540
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

if the OP has e-drums, to me the solution to me is play the edrums, record midi, and use Superior Drummer or Addictive drums or whatever for the sounds. Best of all worlds for everyone.
__________________
Ayotte Drumsmith 6 pc, Sabian HHX Evolution cymbals
Yamaha DTX950K
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:17 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,678
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
The main benefit is that Studios have a knowledgeable person on staff to make certain that things are done correctly. They'll set the proper levels, make certain that there's no buzz, hum, or other blemish that interferes with the recording process. Historically, studios have also had better mic, gear, and channel strip selection.
Also, a proper studio is more likely to be using hi-def ProTools with a more complete selection of plug-ins, and ideally some choice outboard processors as well.

While it's true that everything eventually gets reduced to CD quality at best, it's the initial recording and processing that is best done at a higher resolution. It's like working on an image in Photoshop at 300dpi, before converting it to 72dpi for the web.

Bermuda
__________________
DrumDoug: "I've tried talking to the guys about our stage volume, but it just falls on deaf ears"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM
fac fac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 207
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
There's no issue recording at home IFF (if and only if, for you non math guys) you know what you're doing. There was a thread a while back that made the good point that anyone wanting to record at home should go to a studio at least once to see a healthy workflow and absorb some knowledge.
I totally agree and would add that besides knowing what you're doing, you need some decent equipment. A couple mics into a cheap 2-channel interface won't cut it. Not in my experience. Plus you have to experiment and know how to tune the drums for the recording... because they won't sound as you hear them from behind the kit.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM
MJD's Avatar
MJD MJD is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pleasantville NY USA
Posts: 537
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Have you considered renting a rehearsal space and bringing a laptop and interface in with you to record your parts. If they've already recorded everything else this would be pretty easy to do. I had an Alesis iO that had 2 XLR's that i did this with. I practiced it at home until i could do them in one take and then rented the space for $25 an hour. Threw up the 2 microphones and recorded the tracks in a half hour. Ideal? Probably not, but it worked quite well. I can remember doing drum tracks with one microphone and my old Fostex Cassette 4-track. Learned a lot about microphone placement that way. You don't necessarily need to mic every drum individually to get great sounding tracks. Doing that just gives you more options during the mastering process.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,334
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Normally I think it's crap when a band doesn't respect the individual drummer enough to want his style and playing on the record. If the parts I'm expected to play are so straightforward and set in stone that a machine can do it just as well, then I'd want to be getting paid for my participation in this band as an employee.

But like I said, this applies more when a band wants me for my playing as opposed to just wanting me to re-produce something for them. If the latter, I wouldn't really care what they do, but again I'd only join such a situation if I was getting paid to be their live drum monkey who doesn't get to play on studio recordings or be part of the creative process.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:30 PM
fac fac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 207
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

And no matter what your bandmates think, at least try to have the record mixed and mastered professionally. It'll be a good investment.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:51 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,678
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Normally I think it's crap when a band doesn't respect the individual drummer enough to want his style and playing on the record. If the parts I'm expected to play are so straightforward and set in stone that a machine can do it just as well, then I'd want to be getting paid for my participation in this band as an employee.
The OP said that it was primarily a financial issue. If he couldn't cut the parts, he wouldn't be playing live, either.

Also, project bands don't normally pay their members for work related to promoting themselves, rehearsals, etc. Even if the concept of being an employee of the band was somehow enforceable, he wouldn't get paid for these recordings anyway.

Bermuda
__________________
DrumDoug: "I've tried talking to the guys about our stage volume, but it just falls on deaf ears"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:55 PM
hippy chip's Avatar
hippy chip hippy chip is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 582
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
If I were in your situation, as a young drummer, I don't care what's easier, or what will sound someone's idea of "better"-- I want to be on the recording. It's a reasonable requirement if you're going to show up to rehearsals, learn their music, and do the poorly paying gigs.



Seems like they've already given you their feelings on that. You can judge for yourself whether you're in a position to really insist on this, or if they'll even care if you quit over it. Maybe there's no relationship there at all, and it would be silly to force the issue. I would be looking for a better band to join.

btw, if you're going to be the executive producer and pay for the recording session, you may as well record the music you want with the people you want. Just saying...
I agree with this completely---if I'm not important enough to be on the recording---I'm out!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:58 PM
River19's Avatar
River19 River19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 219
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Personally, ego aside, I would embrace the road they chose, I would be thinking about what is best for the band and what is the shortest route to a good sounding product that will represent the band well when listened to for potential gigs etc.

I would stay very close to whomever is programming the tracks and soak up as much as I can from an education perspective. If there is a good opportunity to suggest something or add something creatively then go for it, just make sure not to cross the line into "awkward". I would also watch and listen closely for any programmed parts that might be tricky to replicate when you have to play it live, and if it is a matter of something you need to practice I would make a point of practicing the shit out of those sections so there is never even a thought in your band-mates minds that you can't do it.

I would also keep an ear out for key samples and sounds you can't replicate easily live.....for example if I played a 1 up 1 down kit live and the programmed drums have some key fills rolling toms in 8", 10", 12", 14" and 16" you might have a hard time capturing the same energy or feel live.....

Either way......I wouldn't look at this as an me vs. them or a hit to the ego, I would wrap my arms around it and dive in with enthusiasm for the good of the band and bring nothing but positive energy.

But that is just me........WTF do I know :-)
__________________
Know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Erberderber's Avatar
Erberderber Erberderber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 209
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Well, I've kind of had the opposite problem. I was happy to produce a demo for my band with the recording gear I have in my bedroom. This meant using synthetic drums, although I would programme them in exactly the same way as I'd play them in the songs. We would have made a demo for free, but they weren't interested. The guitarists didn't want to record directly into an interface, even though my DAW has tons of guitar effects they could have used. For them it was simply out of the question. Months have passed and we still don't have a demo, which we obviously need if we want to play in venues we have yet to play in, so the fact that we don't have one is holding us back. Just think of Stephen Morris. He started out playing drums for Joy Division, then learnt how to use drum programming equipment with new Order. As others have mentioned on here, I would embrace it.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:38 PM
hippy chip's Avatar
hippy chip hippy chip is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 582
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by River19 View Post
I wouldn't look at this as an me vs. them or a hit to the ego, I would wrap my arms around it and dive in with enthusiasm for the good of the band and bring nothing but positive energy.
But that is just me........WTF do I know :-)
Maybe the guitarist wouldn't mind programming his part as well---hell let's do everything on the computer---who needs a band?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 PM
River19's Avatar
River19 River19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 219
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
Maybe the guitarist wouldn't mind programming his part as well---hell let's do everything on the computer---who needs a band?
The point is THIS band has chosen to do it that way and either he can fight it and try and convince them they are wrong or he can take what he can from the experience and later down the road bring that to a band that actually wants to play shit live......sounds like if he wants to play with these folks, he can roll with it or cause issues and potentially cause angst and maybe end up band-less.
__________________
Know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,334
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The OP said that it was primarily a financial issue. If he couldn't cut the parts, he wouldn't be playing live, either.
Wasn't trying to imply he couldn't perform the parts well... Assume he can or we wouldn't be discussing this. I'm talking about the role in his band.

Quote:
Also, project bands don't normally pay their members for work related to promoting themselves, rehearsals, etc. Even if the concept of being an employee of the band was somehow enforceable, he wouldn't get paid for these recordings anyway.
That's weird. I know plenty of guys, and I'm sure there are plenty on this board who charge bands or organizers for rehearsing, recording, and performing if they are just hired guns and there's no promise of big money from the shows. The only other idea I can think of is that you just really like some guy's band and want to support it as their drummer. If I'm not getting to be on the recordings, don't get to create/write material and am expected to basically play the parts as they're already written, I'd have a hard time being motivated and would feel more like an employee who's getting told what's what than a guy who is an equal in an originals band and doesn't get treated as dispensable when the matter of some cash for recording my parts comes up.

I have been part of projects in fact that broached this. In one example, I sort of liked the material, but the band was always a bit of a revolving door of musicians except for the core two guys. I didn't mind rehearsing with them on my time and basically just helping to bring their vision to life as a project. When asked to record tracks I had no issue doing so also on my time and un-paid. The problem came up when they assumed I'd want to help pay for part of the recordings. I had to decline because of my role in the project. In this case, they were still keen to have my "voice" on the recording and didn't complain about my logic, but I would not have been offended if they wanted to program or whatever... It wasn't my project or vision.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:22 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,678
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
That's weird. I know plenty of guys, and I'm sure there are plenty on this board who charge bands or organizers for rehearsing, recording, and performing if they are just hired guns and there's no promise of big money from the shows.
As hired guns, correct, they should be paid for some or all of that with certain considerations.

As a member of a band, the line is blurred and there's an expectation of participation at no charge with the hope of a payoff down the line.

There are bands where I'm paid for every little thing, and others where unpaid rehearsals are the norm because they're for paid gigs and that's just part of the deal with most bands.

The thing is, it varies. Every project is different. Some have financial means, but most don't apart from any money they make at gigs. Sometimes a band's drummer plays on a recording, sometimes they don't. They might get paid for it, or they might not.

There are no rules, only what the individual player is willing to accept.

In the OP's case, the smart thing is to let the band do the recordings their way, and enjoy the paying gigs.

Bermuda
__________________
DrumDoug: "I've tried talking to the guys about our stage volume, but it just falls on deaf ears"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Drumsarefun's Avatar
Drumsarefun Drumsarefun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Thanks so much all, managed to compromise and will be using electric kit with samples from Ableton, which i think (hope) is possible, because samples on my DTX kit arent that great.

It isnt acoustic, but at least can add my subtleties and will sound a bit more human.

I maybe should have mentioned this is a first EP. So i suppose it is quite normal for a first EP to not be optimal in terms of sound. Thinking of some bands I like, their first EPs sound like they were recorded live in someone's bedroom. But those days are gone now I suppose and have been replaced by doing it on a laptop.

Either way, Im happy with the outcome. And hopefully, if it ever happens, we will be using a studio for a debut LP.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,334
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
In the OP's case, the smart thing is to let the band do the recordings their way, and enjoy the paying gigs.

Bermuda
Yea, but if I had a dollar for every time I followed my heart instead of doing the smart thing, I wouldn't need to get paid for any of this!

You've obviously got a very professional level view and perspective on the situation whereas I was gathering that the OP is possibly bothered that his creativity and personal voice which cannot be duplicated by a computer won't be a part of the band's project or an album from when he was a part of the project. I could be totally wrong about the OP, but for lots of guys the gig money is irrelevant and not at all the reason they put in all the time and effort to learn, rehearse, play and support a projects' material.

You're totally correct that there's no one way or right way to make music/records as a group. Every response here is potentially the right one, but only the OP can decide how much it means to him if he's included in the record or not.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 PM
veecharlie's Avatar
veecharlie veecharlie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 230
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsarefun View Post
This band I'm in wants to use programmed drums on computer to record, mainly because of the cost of getting a recording studio for a few days, and they've done everything else without needing a recording studio.

This is very upsetting because it would be my first chance to play on record, and makes me disappointed we live in a time where you basically don't even need a drummer.

If this was just some years ago, we would have no choice but to record my drums, now its just easier + cheaper to do it on a laptop.

I know programmed drums might not sound quite the same, but clearly most people don't actually care/ won't even notice.

So how could I convince them, and are they right anyway? What's the point in using a drummer (other than for live)?
Why not compare it.
How many hours does a programmer need to do this, in such a quality that is enough believable than just "computers"?
How many hours would you need to record and edit?

Make the math.... I'm not sure of the result, it really depends... you can always opt to quit the band...

Just my 2ct..

Edit: after reading further, try to see if you can buy a licence of some virtual drum kit add-ons. There are really good ones and can help you mimic the acoustic to a really good stage.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:10 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,292
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

It's a all too common scenario.

Recording live drums can be expensive.

A few albums where this has happened include
Def Leppard's Pyromania (Rick Allen over dubbed cymbals, but the drums were prpgrammed).
Type O Negative's October Rust

And then you have the millions of albums where the drummer was secretly or not so secretly replaced by a studio musician because it was cheaper to pay someone to get it in one take.

And then there are the millions more albums where yes, the drummer got to record their parts, but then the parts were quantized, sound replaced, over dumbed, mixed with percussion, cut and pasted, etc, to the point that what appears on the album bares little resemblance to what was played.

Ozzy's Bark at the Moon album was originally released with Tommy Aldridge's 2nd bass drum left out of the mix, and Carmine Appice appeared in the video instead of Tommy.

There is the old quote: The music business has two sides. One side, the music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

Then there's also a negative side"
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:30 PM
BenjaminCamelot's Avatar
BenjaminCamelot BenjaminCamelot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 494
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Ozzy's Bark at the Moon album was originally released with Tommy Aldridge's 2nd bass drum left out of the mix, and Carmine Appice appeared in the video instead of Tommy.
Oh god, the video....
__________________
Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Pro-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-11-2017, 01:22 AM
Living Dead Drummer's Avatar
Living Dead Drummer Living Dead Drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,881
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

I agree about the point made about being a full band member or not.
If your are an equal member of the band than this is total BS, and you should do what I did with my first band in high school. Everyone saved up an equal amount of money and went to a studio and all paid for our first record. That being said I am currently full member of a group that uses programed drums on the albums too, however it's more due to the nature of the music genre and has nothing to do with costs.

As a hired gun I charge for recording services.
About 75% of all the groups I play live with use programed drums on their recordings. Out of the 25% of groups that have real drums, I've probably only done about 10% of the tracking.

Oh, and when it comes to music videos... I think I've filmed around 20 over my career. Only 3 of them... 3 Were songs that I actually recorded the drums on.
6 others had real drums on them, either by another session guy or the bands previous drummer. Leaving 11 with programed drums.
__________________
~Nicholas Mason
#LivingDeadDrummer
livingdeaddrummer.com
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:30 AM
TheElectricCompany's Avatar
TheElectricCompany TheElectricCompany is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 383
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Dude, fuck that. Find another band. Seriously.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 5,525
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

What the band needs is a keyboardist who can sequence the whole song. That would be much cheaper again. Otherwise you are just wasting valuable studio time with pointless musicians and their instruments.
__________________
Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Drumsarefun's Avatar
Drumsarefun Drumsarefun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
Dude, fuck that. Find another band. Seriously.
It's ok we have found another solution that is a good compromise. I'm using electric kit with a DAW. Next time for full release I'm sure they will consider it more
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:08 PM
w3r1_drums's Avatar
w3r1_drums w3r1_drums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 219
Default Re: Band wants to use programmed drums on record

the advantage to recording guitars/bass/vocals/whatever in a studio are

-better rooms
-better equipment
-likely a professional audio engineer working on your mix
__________________
My bands: We Are One, Twelve Foot Shadow, Natural Disaster
I play Zildjian & Vic Firth
My Music
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com