DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-30-2017, 02:49 PM
bearblastbeats bearblastbeats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 418
Default Buy it and they will come...

Any fellow drumheads out there buy other gear aside from drums?

I know some actually play other instruments, but I'm looking for drummers who buy guitar and bass gear and a PA to start your own band.

Is that a bad move? I would only look at decent used gear to start.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-30-2017, 03:17 PM
LeftySlammer92 LeftySlammer92 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 55
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

That's not really a bad idea at all given you have the money. PA's are what usually holds most bands back in regard to getting off the ground and out of a garage, and a singer is typically not going to purchase one. I actually got a power amp, PA speakers, and a mixer for free from my buddy who used to do some DJ-ing, and having a guitar rig and bass rig set up at a practice space is never a bad idea.

I think nowadays I'm probably just as interested in recording and live sound gear as I am with drums.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2017, 03:24 PM
DrumWild DrumWild is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 387
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I buy lots of other gear.

Having a PA for band use is fine, and even microphones, cables, stands, etc. I would definitely encourage anyone who is band-oriented to do this, if they're playing lots of gigs where they have to bring their own PA.

However, I'd draw the line at guitars, amps, pedals, etc., as every band member should have their own instruments. As a guitarist, I can tell you that my guitar is like a toothbrush to me. It's a tool that I use, it's mine, and it wouldn't be right to let someone else use it.

A guitar can have certain types of strings, or have the action set low or high. These are two examples of personal settings that are specific to what a guitarist would want for themselves. Me? I'm the pain-in-the-@ss who wants low action, wants .009 strings installed, and then complains about string buzz. I was the Luthier's nightmare.

My guitar effects pedal board is unique to me. One of my pedals has custom settings with my initials in the effect name.

Guitars, amps, and related things are just too personal.

Besides, if the guitar player makes a wrong move and damages his guitar, then he should have to pay for it to get fixed, or buy a new one.

So my advice is to get yourself a PA, with some microphones, cables, and stands. Then when the other musicians bring their own gear, you'll really be ready to go in your own space.
__________________
I don't really feel like I belong here, so please feel free to delete my account.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,017
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
Any fellow drumheads out there buy other gear aside from drums?

I know some actually play other instruments, but I'm looking for drummers who buy guitar and bass gear and a PA to start your own band.

Is that a bad move? I would only look at decent used gear to start.
Nope. I play several different instruments, but I always come back to drums as my primary. I have two VERY decent acoustic guitars, a couple of basses (to be fair, they belong to my wife), a two PA systems (one for practice, one to travel with), and a couple of small-ish subs for my travel gear.

Here's the thing though...by doing so, not only are you drummer, you will also be the PA guy. Take this from me...

THIS SUCKS!!!

Why? Here's why:

1. If you only have one PA system, this means YOU will be the one setting it up and tearing it down between practices and gigs. The other people in the band say they will help, but even if they do, you will still get the majority of the work.

2. After gigs, you will be the one unloading it AND your drums...at 2am...in the snow. You will also be the one loading up too from your house to go gig.

3. You are always going to have to show up early to gigs. If you play outdoor gigs, you are going to be the one in charge of finding out if there's power close by. You are also going to try to find the closest way from your vehicle to the stage. Granted, you already have to do this with drums, but it still sucks.

4. Not only do you have the PA, but now you are in charge of all of the cables and drop cords that go along with it. Lose a drop cord? Well, that's 30 bucks gone. Drop cord not long enough? Looks like you are headed to Walmart, son. Speaker cable going out? Did you pack extra? Heck, do you OWN extra? How about if a driver pops? That's now on you.

5. There WILL be times that you will show up early and no one will be there to help you with the PA system because they are all "running late." You will have to do everything yourself more than you would like.

If you decide to go this route, here's what I would do:

A. Label every freaking thing that belongs to you. Everything.

B. Train those neanderthal guitar players on how to hook up a PA system. Believe me, you don't want to be responsible for both setting up your drums AND the PA. It will happen.

C. One thing that I do is that I told the guys that I'll get there early and set my drums up, but I'm not touching the PA until they get there. If they run late and you start late, then THEY are the ones who have to go explain it to whomever booked you.

D. Tell the others in the band that you will happily set up the PA yourself if you get an extra $50/$100 a show. Most won't go for this, but every situation is different.

E. The agreement I have with the guys is that I'll supply the PA system, but it's THEIR responsibility to get their signal from their mouths and/or instruments to the PA. In other words, they bring their own mics, mic stands, and enough cables to get their guitars and vocals to the PA system. They still fail miserably from time to time, but that's the policy I try to have. It works well most of the time.

F. If anyone gripes, then tell them you'll be HAPPY to have one of them store the PA at their place. No one well ever take you up on this.


If you are looking for a decent PA system just to set up and practice at home and mess around, then none of this will be really an issue. However, if you travel at all, it sucks being the PA guy and the drummer. I love the PA I have right now; it's perfect for what I need, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg either. I will have to say that the guys I'm playing with now are hands down the nicest, most talented people I've ever played with in my life. I hope we play together for a long time. My grudges come from past bands. It gave me valuable experiences. Did I mention you should label everything? ;)

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 3,322
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Everything but the rest of the bands personal amps and instruments, sure.

I've told my story a few times, but that's what I'd be doing on the side if I didn't take that professional and economical hit. It would be my band and it would be eas for to get things how I want as well as an easy and stressfree gig for the rest of the band.

I play and teach the other instruments.

I would really mind providing basic backline, but it depends. Me and most of the players I know do just fine with a 2x12 DeVille as a pedal platform. When I sub there usually is a decent enough amp in the van, so I rarely bring aything but guitar and pedalboard to any of those gigs. DeVille, Super Sonic or AC-30, which all are very common work just fine for me.

Borrowing my bass or guitars, though? Nope. That's not happening and any serious player prefers his/her own stuff.
__________________
So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell you what. If it's 18" or less, it's a FOOT TOM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM
bearblastbeats bearblastbeats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 418
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Nope. I play several different instruments, but I always come back to drums as my primary. I have two VERY decent acoustic guitars, a couple of basses (to be fair, they belong to my wife), a two PA systems (one for practice, one to travel with), and a couple of small-ish subs for my travel gear.

Here's the thing though...by doing so, not only are you drummer, you will also be the PA guy. Take this from me...

THIS SUCKS!!!

Why? Here's why:

1. If you only have one PA system, this means YOU will be the one setting it up and tearing it down between practices and gigs. The other people in the band say they will help, but even if they do, you will still get the majority of the work.

2. After gigs, you will be the one unloading it AND your drums...at 2am...in the snow. You will also be the one loading up too from your house to go gig.

3. You are always going to have to show up early to gigs. If you play outdoor gigs, you are going to be the one in charge of finding out if there's power close by. You are also going to try to find the closest way from your vehicle to the stage. Granted, you already have to do this with drums, but it still sucks.

4. Not only do you have the PA, but now you are in charge of all of the cables and drop cords that go along with it. Lose a drop cord? Well, that's 30 bucks gone. Drop cord not long enough? Looks like you are headed to Walmart, son. Speaker cable going out? Did you pack extra? Heck, do you OWN extra? How about if a driver pops? That's now on you.

5. There WILL be times that you will show up early and no one will be there to help you with the PA system because they are all "running late." You will have to do everything yourself more than you would like.

If you decide to go this route, here's what I would do:

A. Label every freaking thing that belongs to you. Everything.

B. Train those neanderthal guitar players on how to hook up a PA system. Believe me, you don't want to be responsible for both setting up your drums AND the PA. It will happen.

C. One thing that I do is that I told the guys that I'll get there early and set my drums up, but I'm not touching the PA until they get there. If they run late and you start late, then THEY are the ones who have to go explain it to whomever booked you.

D. Tell the others in the band that you will happily set up the PA yourself if you get an extra $50/$100 a show. Most won't go for this, but every situation is different.

E. The agreement I have with the guys is that I'll supply the PA system, but it's THEIR responsibility to get their signal from their mouths and/or instruments to the PA. In other words, they bring their own mics, mic stands, and enough cables to get their guitars and vocals to the PA system. They still fail miserably from time to time, but that's the policy I try to have. It works well most of the time.

F. If anyone gripes, then tell them you'll be HAPPY to have one of them store the PA at their place. No one well ever take you up on this.


If you are looking for a decent PA system just to set up and practice at home and mess around, then none of this will be really an issue. However, if you travel at all, it sucks being the PA guy and the drummer. I love the PA I have right now; it's perfect for what I need, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg either. I will have to say that the guys I'm playing with now are hands down the nicest, most talented people I've ever played with in my life. I hope we play together for a long time. My grudges come from past bands. It gave me valuable experiences. Did I mention you should label everything? ;)

Hope this helps!

very very insightful. My plan is just for practice. My one band is equipped and everyone has their own gear and the PA is one of the guitarists.

Essentially, I'd like to outfit enough gear to start my own band and have those kind of things in the practice room when I buy a house, build a studio, and record at home.... in like 30 years when I can afford it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:23 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,017
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
very very insightful. My plan is just for practice. My one band is equipped and everyone has their own gear and the PA is one of the guitarists.

Essentially, I'd like to outfit enough gear to start my own band and have those kind of things in the practice room when I buy a house, build a studio, and record at home.... in like 30 years when I can afford it.
You should be good to go then.

Buy quality, buy once.

I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha club series. Everyone will have his/her own opinions, but I love that gear.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 3,322
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Favourite small bi-amp thing I've used was Sound Precision.
__________________
So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell you what. If it's 18" or less, it's a FOOT TOM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-2017, 05:12 PM
calan calan is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 653
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I essentially have going what you are looking to do.

I own a bass rig, PA/monitoring rig, recording interface/computer, microphones, and all the cables and peripherals needed to get everything talking to eachother.

I do have a couple of guitar amps sitting around, but they're vintage so I don't put them out for general use. For recording or back up, no problem, but they're not for day to day workhorse use.

The bass rig is the only one of those things that gets gigged out. Everything else is essentially installation gear. Guitar players are on their own, but everything else is in place and plug and play. It makes my regular rehearsals easy, and expedites being able to jam with other people on a moment's notice.

I've acquired all of this stuff over time, with no deadline in mind. If I see a good deal and have the disposable cash, I'll jump on it. I generally find stuff I know I could resell the next day at no or little loss (maybe an occasional profit), so if push comes to shove I know I can liquidate and not be much out of pocket, if at all. I will occasionally provide backline services for club and bar level gigs, so that helps defray the cost too.

I've been playing for close to 20 years now, and have almost always been the host, and am just now at the point where I'd say that I'm set. I wouldn't say done, but I'm happy with what I have and am in no rush to start swapping components because they're not up to the task. I'm happy to absorb the cost for this because it makes my life easier and allows me to enjoy my only real passion that much more.

The only real downside is that I invariably end up being the one that has to pick up after everybody and maintain everything.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-30-2017, 05:36 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Bit of a tightrope and I know the people reading this aren't cheap bastards and are gear heads....but there's a lot of 'musicians' out there that are out and out cheap SOBs! They will either sing or hold a bass.

In my experience guitarists have the same gear obsessions as drummers.

I've had too many instances over the years where a singer doesn't own a mic never mind a pa! That would be like bassists buying strings. I have frog marched my bassist into a shop to buy strings before recording.

I get it if you have the room/money/time and want to get off the ground.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2017, 06:01 PM
calan calan is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 653
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Bit of a tightrope and I know the people reading this aren't cheap bastards and are gear heads....but there's a lot of 'musicians' out there that are out and out cheap SOBs! They will either sing or hold a bass.

In my experience guitarists have the same gear obsessions as drummers.

I've had too many instances over the years where a singer doesn't own a mic never mind a pa! That would be like bassists buying strings. I have frog marched my bassist into a shop to buy strings before recording.

I get it if you have the room/money/time and want to get off the ground.
A bit of a digression, but I've found this can apply to any member, no matter what they play.

I'll assume nobody on this forum has been the drummer without their own transportation playing the kit that is headed with fresh Remo DuctTapes and surrounded by the new Pearl AutoCollapse stands (now with pre-stripped threads!), but we've all either seen them or had to play their gear.

Countless are the times I invite some guitar player over for a jam or an audition, and they show up with a practice amp because that's "their rig." Good thing I can mic that for an hour before never inviting them back.

What about horn players? Just as bad as vocalists for the most part. At least own your own mic, whether it's clip on and wireless or stand mounted. Even if it's not needed, have it.

The only consistently prepared subgroup I've found are harmonica players. Whether they amplify or not, they almost always have their own mic (or two or three). They just seem to know what they're after and go about doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 PM
hippy chip's Avatar
hippy chip hippy chip is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 564
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I have a complete practice/recording studio set up in my spare bedroom---guitars, bass, amps, PA with 3 mics, drums, lights, fog machine---everything for a full band. I have 2 other bands that rehearse here besides mine, and the drummers use my kit to save time. They bring their own mics and guitars, but the rest is plug-and-play. My primary instrument is guitar, so the drums are my "buy it and they will come" gear.

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,911
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I have my own PA and quite a bit of camera gear too. Oh, and some recording devices that come in real handy when needed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 3,322
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Bass players traditionally don't spend so much on other gear, so they just buy more basses.

Female bass players aren't usually sufferring the same level of GAS.No use treating their nails though, so more money for shoes and hair. lol


BTW. Jimmy Johnson has plaed his Alembic direct forever. Seeems to work for him. :-)


You can't really generalize
__________________
So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell you what. If it's 18" or less, it's a FOOT TOM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
I'll assume nobody on this forum has been the drummer without their own transportation playing the kit that is headed with fresh Remo DuctTapes and surrounded by the new Pearl AutoCollapse stands (now with pre-stripped threads!), but we've all either seen them or had to play their gear.

Countless are the times I invite some guitar player over for a jam or an audition, and they show up with a practice amp because that's "their rig." Good thing I can mic that for an hour before never inviting them back.

What about horn players? Just as bad as vocalists for the most part. At least own your own mic, whether it's clip on and wireless or stand mounted. Even if it's not needed, have it.

The only consistently prepared subgroup I've found are harmonica players. Whether they amplify or not, they almost always have their own mic (or two or three). They just seem to know what they're after and go about doing it.
Played on many of those kits when I was younger, thought remo had discontinued the DuctTape line but I'm mistaken :) Don't get me started on anything Pearl, I'm scarred for life growing up with battered exports, no felts or wingnuts or washers on the stands.

Haven't played with horn players since uni but I can imagine they are used to playing in a unmiced setting or always having a sound guy.

Never had the issue with guitarists. Guess I've been lucky.

Harmonica players in the UK, I think we hunted them into extinction here :)
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-30-2017, 07:32 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,017
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
I have a complete practice/recording studio set up in my spare bedroom---guitars, bass, amps, PA with 3 mics, drums, lights, fog machine---everything for a full band.

Please tell me you use the fog machine during practice....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,911
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Please tell me you use the fog machine during practice....
Every bedroom studio I've been to has a fog machine. It's part of the package ;)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-30-2017, 07:55 PM
williamsbclontz williamsbclontz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Texas area
Posts: 478
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

All my friends call me a hoarder because of how much music gear I own. My bands have used a lot of it though and it has come in handy, so if you have the funds I think it'll be worth it
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:19 PM
New Tricks New Tricks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,927
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

It's not a bad idea to have PA and gear at your place. That way, the band members come to your place and it saves a lot of time and effort. I have been fortuante enough not to end up a broke musician and music is my hobby so I allow myself to buy whatever I need.

My first bass player (old friend/no money) didn't have a bass so I bought one. I had a slight fantasy of learning to play it but I decided to spend the time somewere else. It was worth the $300 because it allowed me to have a great time and play as a band for a few years. As my hobby progressed, I upgraded and added whatever I needed until I didn't need anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Camshaft's Avatar
Camshaft Camshaft is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Akron, Ohio USA
Posts: 73
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I'm a car guy, so combining my passion for drums means I always have a few hatchbacks or station wagons around. It's a boon for logistics, and I don't mind driving if the other guys spot me for gas. Next to having your own PA, having your own tour vehicle would help things out, I'm sure.
__________________
-Cam
TAMA lover & Sound Percussion apologist.
Click here for my project/gear thread!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I've maintained stage and back-line for number of bands and venues.

The main down side..... It's a lot of work.

The main upside...... You can make actual money if you have half a brain.

Unfortunately, I could fill up a dozen pages with advice. If you find yourself getting close to pulling the trigger, start a new thread and you'll have a couple of the folks here elaborate on the details.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM
bearblastbeats bearblastbeats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 418
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Thanks for all the insight.

I went to the store last night with my friend (who will either play bass or guitar). He's pretty broke but lives with me so it's almost like, if I buy the gear I know where it is and I can even play with it...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-02-2017, 03:33 PM
hippy chip's Avatar
hippy chip hippy chip is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 564
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Please tell me you use the fog machine during practice....
I fire it up when someone complains about the strobe light behind my throne!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 2,512
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I have a small PA. We use my amp/mixer at practice and my small wedge monitors at gigs. Peace and goodwill.
__________________
Mark Wellman
Mapex Saturn (bass drums, toms, snare) Mapex MPX(snare); Sabian, Evans, LA Backbeat
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-02-2017, 06:28 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,785
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I play guitar and bass and have enough PA gear for two full setups. When rehearsals happen at my house, I offer my amps to the guitar and bass players, but they usually insist on bringing their own. I do set up a PA for rehearsals, though. I figure the time I spend setting it up is less than the time I would spend traveling to THEIR places and set up a drum kit.

I have been the drummer/PA guy as well as the bass/PA guy. I don't mind. I get paid extra for it, so it's worth it to me. I don't mind showing up early and loading, setting up, and checking everything myself. I get focused and "in the zone" while running cables, and it becomes a zen moment for me.
__________________
I guess my nickname is "life" now.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-02-2017, 06:47 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 6,054
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I nibble away at it. Since I also do vocals, I have my own mike, stand and cabling. I have my own mixer for in-ears and enough cables to hook it up to a PA and up to three amps. I have enough cabling to send from my electronic drum module to a PA, but I should get a direct box "just because". I think the next logical step is a PA and attendant gear, just to be flexible and more marketable.

In one of my bands, the bass player also runs our sound gear and is a multi-instrumentalist. He essentially carries around a full band setup in his van at all times. It's a great security blanket, because if I ever forget anything, he's got a spare, from ride cymbals to sticks to kick pedals to cables to stands.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-02-2017, 11:55 PM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,917
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

If you're thinking about doing it, then you either have an idea what's involved or you're keen to learn.

I'll add my voice to the "go for it" chorus.

As others have said, don't bother getting guitars and a bass, unless you want them for yourself, and don't bother with pedals.

If you take your time and watch Ebay, these things can be picked up for very little money. Just like with drums, older gear by reputable manufacturers will last for ever (or at least be repairable if it craps out).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-03-2017, 12:01 AM
williamsbclontz williamsbclontz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Texas area
Posts: 478
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
If you're thinking about doing it, then you either have an idea what's involved or you're keen to learn.

I'll add my voice to the "go for it" chorus.

As others have said, don't bother getting guitars and a bass, unless you want them for yourself, and don't bother with pedals.

If you take your time and watch Ebay, these things can be picked up for very little money. Just like with drums, older gear by reputable manufacturers will last for ever (or at least be repairable if it craps out).
I agree, except I did buy an upright bass for my bass player to use whenever needed for a jazz group we do. Done two weddings so far and it's already paid for itself. Those country club folks just like to see a band in suits with an upright bass
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:47 AM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
As others have said, don't bother getting guitars and a bass, unless you want them for yourself, and don't bother with pedals.
In the odd event that you do procure a bass and guitar for others to play, get completely normal/ubiquitous instruments and get them properly set up.

Example: A Fender-Mexi Precision or Jazz-Bass and Fender-Mexi Telecaster Deluxe.

Any guitarist/bass player that picks up these instruments should instantly know what to do with them, regardless of whatever daily player they're coming from or what style of music they play.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 AM
w3r1_drums's Avatar
w3r1_drums w3r1_drums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 218
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

Well I buy and play other instruments

after a bad experience - if you're gonna play in a band w/ me, you're gonna have to own your own gear (I'll make exceptions but not often)

a PA system and microphones are things I'll let everyone use though
__________________
My bands: We Are One, Twelve Foot Shadow, Natural Disaster
I play Zildjian & Vic Firth
My Music
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Bonzo_CR's Avatar
Bonzo_CR Bonzo_CR is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: A Brit living in Switzerland
Posts: 815
Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

I do have a small PA, primarily intended for (1) vocals during band rehearsals and (2) for small gigs if there's no PA in the venue. But that's all.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com