DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Default Buy it and they will come...

Any fellow drumheads out there buy other gear aside from drums?

I know some actually play other instruments, but I'm looking for drummers who buy guitar and bass gear and a PA to start your own band.

Is that a bad move? I would only look at decent used gear to start.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Buy it and they will come...

That's not really a bad idea at all given you have the money. PA's are what usually holds most bands back in regard to getting off the ground and out of a garage, and a singer is typically not going to purchase one. I actually got a power amp, PA speakers, and a mixer for free from my buddy who used to do some DJ-ing, and having a guitar rig and bass rig set up at a practice space is never a bad idea.

I think nowadays I'm probably just as interested in recording and live sound gear as I am with drums.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:24 PM

I buy lots of other gear.

Having a PA for band use is fine, and even microphones, cables, stands, etc. I would definitely encourage anyone who is band-oriented to do this, if they're playing lots of gigs where they have to bring their own PA.

However, I'd draw the line at guitars, amps, pedals, etc., as every band member should have their own instruments. As a guitarist, I can tell you that my guitar is like a toothbrush to me. It's a tool that I use, it's mine, and it wouldn't be right to let someone else use it.

A guitar can have certain types of strings, or have the action set low or high. These are two examples of personal settings that are specific to what a guitarist would want for themselves. Me? I'm the pain-in-the-@ss who wants low action, wants .009 strings installed, and then complains about string buzz. I was the Luthier's nightmare.

My guitar effects pedal board is unique to me. One of my pedals has custom settings with my initials in the effect name.

Guitars, amps, and related things are just too personal.

Besides, if the guitar player makes a wrong move and damages his guitar, then he should have to pay for it to get fixed, or buy a new one.

So my advice is to get yourself a PA, with some microphones, cables, and stands. Then when the other musicians bring their own gear, you'll really be ready to go in your own space.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
Any fellow drumheads out there buy other gear aside from drums?

I know some actually play other instruments, but I'm looking for drummers who buy guitar and bass gear and a PA to start your own band.

Is that a bad move? I would only look at decent used gear to start.
Nope. I play several different instruments, but I always come back to drums as my primary. I have two VERY decent acoustic guitars, a couple of basses (to be fair, they belong to my wife), a two PA systems (one for practice, one to travel with), and a couple of small-ish subs for my travel gear.

Here's the thing though...by doing so, not only are you drummer, you will also be the PA guy. Take this from me...

THIS SUCKS!!!

Why? Here's why:

1. If you only have one PA system, this means YOU will be the one setting it up and tearing it down between practices and gigs. The other people in the band say they will help, but even if they do, you will still get the majority of the work.

2. After gigs, you will be the one unloading it AND your drums...at 2am...in the snow. You will also be the one loading up too from your house to go gig.

3. You are always going to have to show up early to gigs. If you play outdoor gigs, you are going to be the one in charge of finding out if there's power close by. You are also going to try to find the closest way from your vehicle to the stage. Granted, you already have to do this with drums, but it still sucks.

4. Not only do you have the PA, but now you are in charge of all of the cables and drop cords that go along with it. Lose a drop cord? Well, that's 30 bucks gone. Drop cord not long enough? Looks like you are headed to Walmart, son. Speaker cable going out? Did you pack extra? Heck, do you OWN extra? How about if a driver pops? That's now on you.

5. There WILL be times that you will show up early and no one will be there to help you with the PA system because they are all "running late." You will have to do everything yourself more than you would like.

If you decide to go this route, here's what I would do:

A. Label every freaking thing that belongs to you. Everything.

B. Train those neanderthal guitar players on how to hook up a PA system. Believe me, you don't want to be responsible for both setting up your drums AND the PA. It will happen.

C. One thing that I do is that I told the guys that I'll get there early and set my drums up, but I'm not touching the PA until they get there. If they run late and you start late, then THEY are the ones who have to go explain it to whomever booked you.

D. Tell the others in the band that you will happily set up the PA yourself if you get an extra $50/$100 a show. Most won't go for this, but every situation is different.

E. The agreement I have with the guys is that I'll supply the PA system, but it's THEIR responsibility to get their signal from their mouths and/or instruments to the PA. In other words, they bring their own mics, mic stands, and enough cables to get their guitars and vocals to the PA system. They still fail miserably from time to time, but that's the policy I try to have. It works well most of the time.

F. If anyone gripes, then tell them you'll be HAPPY to have one of them store the PA at their place. No one well ever take you up on this.

If you are looking for a decent PA system just to set up and practice at home and mess around, then none of this will be really an issue. However, if you travel at all, it sucks being the PA guy and the drummer. I love the PA I have right now; it's perfect for what I need, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg either. I will have to say that the guys I'm playing with now are hands down the nicest, most talented people I've ever played with in my life. I hope we play together for a long time. My grudges come from past bands. It gave me valuable experiences. Did I mention you should label everything? ;)

Hope this helps!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Everything but the rest of the bands personal amps and instruments, sure.

I've told my story a few times, but that's what I'd be doing on the side if I didn't take that professional and economical hit. It would be my band and it would be eas for to get things how I want as well as an easy and stressfree gig for the rest of the band.

I play and teach the other instruments.

I would really mind providing basic backline, but it depends. Me and most of the players I know do just fine with a 2x12 DeVille as a pedal platform. When I sub there usually is a decent enough amp in the van, so I rarely bring aything but guitar and pedalboard to any of those gigs. DeVille, Super Sonic or AC-30, which all are very common work just fine for me.

Borrowing my bass or guitars, though? Nope. That's not happening and any serious player prefers his/her own stuff.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Nope. I play several different instruments, but I always come back to drums as my primary. I have two VERY decent acoustic guitars, a couple of basses (to be fair, they belong to my wife), a two PA systems (one for practice, one to travel with), and a couple of small-ish subs for my travel gear.

Here's the thing though...by doing so, not only are you drummer, you will also be the PA guy. Take this from me...

THIS SUCKS!!!

Why? Here's why:

1. If you only have one PA system, this means YOU will be the one setting it up and tearing it down between practices and gigs. The other people in the band say they will help, but even if they do, you will still get the majority of the work.

2. After gigs, you will be the one unloading it AND your drums...at 2am...in the snow. You will also be the one loading up too from your house to go gig.

3. You are always going to have to show up early to gigs. If you play outdoor gigs, you are going to be the one in charge of finding out if there's power close by. You are also going to try to find the closest way from your vehicle to the stage. Granted, you already have to do this with drums, but it still sucks.

4. Not only do you have the PA, but now you are in charge of all of the cables and drop cords that go along with it. Lose a drop cord? Well, that's 30 bucks gone. Drop cord not long enough? Looks like you are headed to Walmart, son. Speaker cable going out? Did you pack extra? Heck, do you OWN extra? How about if a driver pops? That's now on you.

5. There WILL be times that you will show up early and no one will be there to help you with the PA system because they are all "running late." You will have to do everything yourself more than you would like.

If you decide to go this route, here's what I would do:

A. Label every freaking thing that belongs to you. Everything.

B. Train those neanderthal guitar players on how to hook up a PA system. Believe me, you don't want to be responsible for both setting up your drums AND the PA. It will happen.

C. One thing that I do is that I told the guys that I'll get there early and set my drums up, but I'm not touching the PA until they get there. If they run late and you start late, then THEY are the ones who have to go explain it to whomever booked you.

D. Tell the others in the band that you will happily set up the PA yourself if you get an extra $50/$100 a show. Most won't go for this, but every situation is different.

E. The agreement I have with the guys is that I'll supply the PA system, but it's THEIR responsibility to get their signal from their mouths and/or instruments to the PA. In other words, they bring their own mics, mic stands, and enough cables to get their guitars and vocals to the PA system. They still fail miserably from time to time, but that's the policy I try to have. It works well most of the time.

F. If anyone gripes, then tell them you'll be HAPPY to have one of them store the PA at their place. No one well ever take you up on this.

If you are looking for a decent PA system just to set up and practice at home and mess around, then none of this will be really an issue. However, if you travel at all, it sucks being the PA guy and the drummer. I love the PA I have right now; it's perfect for what I need, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg either. I will have to say that the guys I'm playing with now are hands down the nicest, most talented people I've ever played with in my life. I hope we play together for a long time. My grudges come from past bands. It gave me valuable experiences. Did I mention you should label everything? ;)

Hope this helps!

very very insightful. My plan is just for practice. My one band is equipped and everyone has their own gear and the PA is one of the guitarists.

Essentially, I'd like to outfit enough gear to start my own band and have those kind of things in the practice room when I buy a house, build a studio, and record at home.... in like 30 years when I can afford it.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
very very insightful. My plan is just for practice. My one band is equipped and everyone has their own gear and the PA is one of the guitarists.

Essentially, I'd like to outfit enough gear to start my own band and have those kind of things in the practice room when I buy a house, build a studio, and record at home.... in like 30 years when I can afford it.
You should be good to go then.

Buy quality, buy once.

I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha club series. Everyone will have his/her own opinions, but I love that gear.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Favourite small bi-amp thing I've used was Sound Precision.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

I essentially have going what you are looking to do.

I own a bass rig, PA/monitoring rig, recording interface/computer, microphones, and all the cables and peripherals needed to get everything talking to eachother.

I do have a couple of guitar amps sitting around, but they're vintage so I don't put them out for general use. For recording or back up, no problem, but they're not for day to day workhorse use.

The bass rig is the only one of those things that gets gigged out. Everything else is essentially installation gear. Guitar players are on their own, but everything else is in place and plug and play. It makes my regular rehearsals easy, and expedites being able to jam with other people on a moment's notice.

I've acquired all of this stuff over time, with no deadline in mind. If I see a good deal and have the disposable cash, I'll jump on it. I generally find stuff I know I could resell the next day at no or little loss (maybe an occasional profit), so if push comes to shove I know I can liquidate and not be much out of pocket, if at all. I will occasionally provide backline services for club and bar level gigs, so that helps defray the cost too.

I've been playing for close to 20 years now, and have almost always been the host, and am just now at the point where I'd say that I'm set. I wouldn't say done, but I'm happy with what I have and am in no rush to start swapping components because they're not up to the task. I'm happy to absorb the cost for this because it makes my life easier and allows me to enjoy my only real passion that much more.

The only real downside is that I invariably end up being the one that has to pick up after everybody and maintain everything.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Bit of a tightrope and I know the people reading this aren't cheap bastards and are gear heads....but there's a lot of 'musicians' out there that are out and out cheap SOBs! They will either sing or hold a bass.

In my experience guitarists have the same gear obsessions as drummers.

I've had too many instances over the years where a singer doesn't own a mic never mind a pa! That would be like bassists buying strings. I have frog marched my bassist into a shop to buy strings before recording.

I get it if you have the room/money/time and want to get off the ground.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Bit of a tightrope and I know the people reading this aren't cheap bastards and are gear heads....but there's a lot of 'musicians' out there that are out and out cheap SOBs! They will either sing or hold a bass.

In my experience guitarists have the same gear obsessions as drummers.

I've had too many instances over the years where a singer doesn't own a mic never mind a pa! That would be like bassists buying strings. I have frog marched my bassist into a shop to buy strings before recording.

I get it if you have the room/money/time and want to get off the ground.
A bit of a digression, but I've found this can apply to any member, no matter what they play.

I'll assume nobody on this forum has been the drummer without their own transportation playing the kit that is headed with fresh Remo DuctTapes and surrounded by the new Pearl AutoCollapse stands (now with pre-stripped threads!), but we've all either seen them or had to play their gear.

Countless are the times I invite some guitar player over for a jam or an audition, and they show up with a practice amp because that's "their rig." Good thing I can mic that for an hour before never inviting them back.

What about horn players? Just as bad as vocalists for the most part. At least own your own mic, whether it's clip on and wireless or stand mounted. Even if it's not needed, have it.

The only consistently prepared subgroup I've found are harmonica players. Whether they amplify or not, they almost always have their own mic (or two or three). They just seem to know what they're after and go about doing it.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

I have a complete practice/recording studio set up in my spare bedroom---guitars, bass, amps, PA with 3 mics, drums, lights, fog machine---everything for a full band. I have 2 other bands that rehearse here besides mine, and the drummers use my kit to save time. They bring their own mics and guitars, but the rest is plug-and-play. My primary instrument is guitar, so the drums are my "buy it and they will come" gear.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

I have my own PA and quite a bit of camera gear too. Oh, and some recording devices that come in real handy when needed.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Bass players traditionally don't spend so much on other gear, so they just buy more basses.

Female bass players aren't usually sufferring the same level of GAS.No use treating their nails though, so more money for shoes and hair. lol

BTW. Jimmy Johnson has plaed his Alembic direct forever. Seeems to work for him. :-)

You can't really generalize
Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
I'll assume nobody on this forum has been the drummer without their own transportation playing the kit that is headed with fresh Remo DuctTapes and surrounded by the new Pearl AutoCollapse stands (now with pre-stripped threads!), but we've all either seen them or had to play their gear.

Countless are the times I invite some guitar player over for a jam or an audition, and they show up with a practice amp because that's "their rig." Good thing I can mic that for an hour before never inviting them back.

What about horn players? Just as bad as vocalists for the most part. At least own your own mic, whether it's clip on and wireless or stand mounted. Even if it's not needed, have it.

The only consistently prepared subgroup I've found are harmonica players. Whether they amplify or not, they almost always have their own mic (or two or three). They just seem to know what they're after and go about doing it.
Played on many of those kits when I was younger, thought remo had discontinued the DuctTape line but I'm mistaken :) Don't get me started on anything Pearl, I'm scarred for life growing up with battered exports, no felts or wingnuts or washers on the stands.

Haven't played with horn players since uni but I can imagine they are used to playing in a unmiced setting or always having a sound guy.

Never had the issue with guitarists. Guess I've been lucky.

Harmonica players in the UK, I think we hunted them into extinction here :)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
I have a complete practice/recording studio set up in my spare bedroom---guitars, bass, amps, PA with 3 mics, drums, lights, fog machine---everything for a full band.

Please tell me you use the fog machine during practice....
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Every bedroom studio I've been to has a fog machine. It's part of the package ;)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:55 PM

All my friends call me a hoarder because of how much music gear I own. My bands have used a lot of it though and it has come in handy, so if you have the funds I think it'll be worth it
Old 10-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

It's not a bad idea to have PA and gear at your place. That way, the band members come to your place and it saves a lot of time and effort. I have been fortuante enough not to end up a broke musician and music is my hobby so I allow myself to buy whatever I need.

My first bass player (old friend/no money) didn't have a bass so I bought one. I had a slight fantasy of learning to play it but I decided to spend the time somewere else. It was worth the $300 because it allowed me to have a great time and play as a band for a few years. As my hobby progressed, I upgraded and added whatever I needed until I didn't need anything else.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM

I'm a car guy, so combining my passion for drums means I always have a few hatchbacks or station wagons around. It's a boon for logistics, and I don't mind driving if the other guys spot me for gas. Next to having your own PA, having your own tour vehicle would help things out, I'm sure.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

I've maintained stage and back-line for number of bands and venues.

The main down side..... It's a lot of work.

The main upside...... You can make actual money if you have half a brain.

Unfortunately, I could fill up a dozen pages with advice. If you find yourself getting close to pulling the trigger, start a new thread and you'll have a couple of the folks here elaborate on the details.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Thanks for all the insight.

I went to the store last night with my friend (who will either play bass or guitar). He's pretty broke but lives with me so it's almost like, if I buy the gear I know where it is and I can even play with it...
Old 11-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I fire it up when someone complains about the strobe light behind my throne!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have a small PA. We use my amp/mixer at practice and my small wedge monitors at gigs. Peace and goodwill.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

I play guitar and bass and have enough PA gear for two full setups. When rehearsals happen at my house, I offer my amps to the guitar and bass players, but they usually insist on bringing their own. I do set up a PA for rehearsals, though. I figure the time I spend setting it up is less than the time I would spend traveling to THEIR places and set up a drum kit.

I have been the drummer/PA guy as well as the bass/PA guy. I don't mind. I get paid extra for it, so it's worth it to me. I don't mind showing up early and loading, setting up, and checking everything myself. I get focused and "in the zone" while running cables, and it becomes a zen moment for me.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

I nibble away at it. Since I also do vocals, I have my own mike, stand and cabling. I have my own mixer for in-ears and enough cables to hook it up to a PA and up to three amps. I have enough cabling to send from my electronic drum module to a PA, but I should get a direct box "just because". I think the next logical step is a PA and attendant gear, just to be flexible and more marketable.

In one of my bands, the bass player also runs our sound gear and is a multi-instrumentalist. He essentially carries around a full band setup in his van at all times. It's a great security blanket, because if I ever forget anything, he's got a spare, from ride cymbals to sticks to kick pedals to cables to stands.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

If you're thinking about doing it, then you either have an idea what's involved or you're keen to learn.

I'll add my voice to the "go for it" chorus.

As others have said, don't bother getting guitars and a bass, unless you want them for yourself, and don't bother with pedals.

If you take your time and watch Ebay, these things can be picked up for very little money. Just like with drums, older gear by reputable manufacturers will last for ever (or at least be repairable if it craps out).
Old 11-03-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
If you're thinking about doing it, then you either have an idea what's involved or you're keen to learn.

I'll add my voice to the "go for it" chorus.

As others have said, don't bother getting guitars and a bass, unless you want them for yourself, and don't bother with pedals.

If you take your time and watch Ebay, these things can be picked up for very little money. Just like with drums, older gear by reputable manufacturers will last for ever (or at least be repairable if it craps out).
I agree, except I did buy an upright bass for my bass player to use whenever needed for a jazz group we do. Done two weddings so far and it's already paid for itself. Those country club folks just like to see a band in suits with an upright bass
Old 11-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
In the odd event that you do procure a bass and guitar for others to play, get completely normal/ubiquitous instruments and get them properly set up.

Example: A Fender-Mexi Precision or Jazz-Bass and Fender-Mexi Telecaster Deluxe.

Any guitarist/bass player that picks up these instruments should instantly know what to do with them, regardless of whatever daily player they're coming from or what style of music they play.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 AM

Well I buy and play other instruments

after a bad experience - if you're gonna play in a band w/ me, you're gonna have to own your own gear (I'll make exceptions but not often)

a PA system and microphones are things I'll let everyone use though
Old 11-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

I do have a small PA, primarily intended for (1) vocals during band rehearsals and (2) for small gigs if there's no PA in the venue. But that's all.