DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 10-27-2017, 01:53 AM

Default Wuhan Cymbals

So I already have a 14" Wuhan Crash, 20" Medium Ride, 14" Hats, 6" and 8" splash, and 12" and 16" chinas. They do sound really really good. Especially for the price. I was thinking about getting some more (16" and 17") crashes.

What held me back is seeing some posts about them breaking over time. Those posts are from 2011 and back so I'm not sure if things have changed since then or if they are still not durable.

The thing is I don't want to buy them and have all Wuhan cymbals and then over time they break and it was a waste of money. I really want the Paiste 602 and 2002 crashes and rides n' all, but they are REALLY expensive, even used.

Do you think Wuhans are pretty durable? Should I save for Wuhan cymbals or not?

If not, what are some better cymbal alternatives (like A customs etc.) that you think would be good for a brighter funk, fusion, and prog rock sound.

Thank you!
David
Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Wuhan Cymbals

I think it has to do more with striking technique than anything - more expensive cymbals can crack fairly quick too with poor technique.

The thing with (most) chinese constructed cymbals is theres usually less quality control, I've had cymbals last me to this day and some crack in a few sessions.

Just play whatever you like, soundwise and can afford. By the way if you want the 2002 sound you can check out their PST7 line - I find them to be fairly close in sound.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:18 AM

Sidenote, this video is quite interesting too. With the right player, technique, decent recording set up these cymbals sound great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t46_y9_auzc
Old 10-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

Well my Wuhan's have lasted me 7 years thus far and the only proof that they aren't new is the mass amounts of fingerprints which i occasionally wipe off. As far as my experience goes there are no durability issues. Then again i'm not really a heavy hitter. I love the 18 in crash ride and 14 in hi hat top as a crash.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiedebobbie View Post
I think it has to do more with striking technique than anything - more expensive cymbals can crack fairly quick too with poor technique.
This.

I love that brand. Of my collection, I still have 2 china's from them (hands down the best sounding ones out there IMO), and a crash. Treat them right and they'll be with you for a long time.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

I had a Wuhan 14" China years ago, was hands down the favorite China Ive ever owned. Lent it to a buddy for one gig, he cracked it. I think it had more to do with his technique, wouldve lasted me forever :(.... They sure do make great Chinas!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

The Wuhans are no more likely to break than the Paistes. Get what you like and can afford, and don't fret too much about it.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

I think they tend to get a bad rap for durability because of the exact reason Robbiedebobbie said. A lot of times it is beginners with poor technique that end up buying them because they are cheap. The thing is unlike a lot of other cheap cymbals a lot of them are on the thinner side. So they end up pounding the crud out of them, then complaining when they break compared to their super thick heavy ZBT/B8/etc type cymbals.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 PM

How long do you have your current models? If you own them for years without breaking; safe to get new ones.

I only have experience with china's. Had 13 and 18" models, but eventually they cracked and haven't had any Wuhans since.

I now play Zildjian and got a set in 2011 (A's) and still use the 14" New Beat hats and 21" Sweet Ride to this day. Still going strong, but i take care of them. Replaced the crashes with a K and a K Custom (2012 and 2014) and those are thin models and been using them ever since. They cost way more than Wuhans obviously, but i also see it as an investment (i tend on playing these for years and also keep them).

Having said that; i do think of replacing the hats and ride for my grunge/rock band, because i need some sloshier sounds (the New Beats and Sweet Ride work great for metal though).
Old 11-01-2017, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

I bought a Wuhan 14" medium thin B20 crash just to try out because it was such a good deal. I wanted to throw it into the mix with my Sabians. HHX Evos 16 & 18, and AAX Aeros 18 & 20 and see how it worked. The Aeros are kind of end of the statement type crashes (dark and lot's of white noise, but not china, or even Ozone) and I love them but use them more sparingly. The Evos are my go to general accent crashes (dark and quick). The Wuhan fit in with the Evo's so seamlessly that if it had had a Sabian Evo logo on it, I don't think I would have questioned it. Definitely a great cymbal at an incredible price. I smash it nightly and it seems to be holding up just fine, but I've only had it for a couple years.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hale View Post
....I really want the Paiste 602 and 2002 crashes and rides n' all, but they are REALLY expensive, even used.....
As long as you've got cymbals to use now, save up a little longer to get the ones you really want.