DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default one overhead mic placement

OK sound experts here are the parameters.
Outdoor stage, kick is mic'ed but only ONE overhead provided. Do you put it over the entire kit, or more on the hihat snare side, or more on the ride side?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: one overhead mic placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
OK sound experts here are the parameters.
Outdoor stage, kick is mic'ed but only ONE overhead provided. Do you put it over the entire kit, or more on the hihat snare side, or more on the ride side?
I'd either put it on the snare, or TCHAD/Blake.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:58 AM
The SunDog

Directly above the snare and pointed straight down.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
Directly above the snare and pointed straight down.
Yup. Might have to play with the height a bit, but this is usually the way to go, UNLESS you have a weird setup and the snare is way off to the side and less the "center" like on most kits.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Unless you have the right mic stand it can be tough to go directly above but the "right" way to do it according to the course I did last year is directly above and pointed roughly between the kick and snare, generally at the centre of all the noise.

I have done a few recordings with an sm57 pointed at the snare and a kick mic. It sounds OK, just OK.

http://youtu.be/ZFvJVygXrPM
Old 03-15-2016, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

thanks folks. a few outdoor gigs last year i had it pointed down at snare/hihat from above. was good, 'sound guy' did it that way, but my ride cymbal seemed on the quiet side though (if i listen to recordings taken out front). 2 overhead mics obviously more ideal.

Dre nice recording man, that Tama Aluminium snare is awesome.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Another idea for a single overhead is just over your shoulder.

So if you're right handed, the mic is a bit above and a little behind your right shoulder, pointing towards the snare area.

This can give a nice balanced mix.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

I do this regularly in one band. We use a Rode NT3, because its supercadioid and can pickup more snare and floor tom with less crash cymbals.

We place it not far above the rack tom and ride, pointing at the snare. The rack tom is slightly off axis to the mic, so it sounds close but not too loud. The ride is picked up well, the crashes are reduced, and the snare is on axis so it sounds solid and clear.

Moving the mic one or two inches changes the balance significantly, so be prepared for some trial and error.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
I'd either put it on the snare, or TCHAD/Blake.
The TCHAD method in that video (plus a kick mic) is what I use every week for my gigs, both indoor/outdoor.. Works really really well.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
Another idea for a single overhead is just over your shoulder.

So if you're right handed, the mic is a bit above and a little behind your right shoulder, pointing towards the snare area.

This can give a nice balanced mix.
I was thinking this as well. If you have room, over your shoulder right above the middle of everything.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Remember, the farther away the overhead is from the drums, the more gain it will need. And, the more gain it has, the more likely it will pick-up other instruments and the p.a. and create balance issues. Not that it can't be done, but it's tricky, as the varying experiences about what works will attest.

Two OH would certainly be better from a gain & coverage perspective, but if you're really limited to one, I suggest a shield to help isolate the drums a little and help the mic do its job. Note that the screen will have to be tall enough so that the OH will be behind it somewhat, or you'll have the same bleed issues.

Of course, if expense is a consideration, a tall shield will be more expensive than a 2nd mic (and a lot more hassle!)

Good luck!

Bermuda
Old 10-27-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
Unless you have the right mic stand it can be tough to go directly above but the "right" way to do it according to the course I did last year is directly above and pointed roughly between the kick and snare, generally at the centre of all the noise.

I have done a few recordings with an sm57 pointed at the snare and a kick mic. It sounds OK, just OK.

http://youtu.be/ZFvJVygXrPM

I have done recordings in my garage and basement with an SM57 on the kick, and one pointing between the snare and hats. Two cheap SM58 clones overhead. It sounds fine.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

I use a Shure ksm27 and audio mic on the kick drum for medium size rooms. Sure is placed front left or over my head. Subject to location gain needs adjustments. Seems to help provide an overall touch of the drums thru the PA system.
Denis
Old 10-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Pointing directly down at the snare drum.
About a stick length above your head.

Mick
Old 10-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

I may be a little weird, but I'd put it just above shoulder height between my snare and floor tom. Heck, I may even put it closer to my floor tom. Why? No one seems to have trouble hearing the crack of a snare, and my rack tom projects pretty well; however, the "wallup" of the floor tom gets lost at outdoor gigs. A lot of it depends on the size of the crowd, the PA, and venue.

YMMV.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Are you doing it for yourself or for gigs with provided sound guys?

If your setting up a single mic, getting a small mixer (2 or 4 channel) and using a kick mic, maybe a snare, and 2 overheads would help a ton.

You can get a mixer dirt cheap and don't need top of the line mics for gigs. Especially outdoor gigs. Albums and recording I tend to lean towards higher end gear. You can always upgrade later.

Or even a dual overhead setup to pan and balance it a bit and keep things closer. The closer the mics to the drums the tighter they sound also.

I don't think a second mic will add a ton of work to your setup. even clipping on a snare mic and slapping one in the kick would take a matter of seconds. It's a slippery slope though. What's 2 or 3 toms mics at this point, another 30 seconds? Now you need an, 8 channel mixer... (sound check may take a few minutes) Although if your mixing your own drums that presents it's own issues for levels and EQ unless you get out in the audience and have someone play your kit. also time.

Well, now you have this amazing sounding drumset, Might as well get an IEM setup to go with it too. haha Only a few more cables needed.