DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 PM

Default Have you ever "lost the faith"?

Have any of you ever given up and quit music and sold your stuff , only to "get the itch" a couple years later and buy it all back?

I have done it a couple times (I'm 56) and now my wife will not LET me sell my gear. (My guitar stuff, she has no idea why I wanted a drum kit)

The entire "Band" process has been such a soul crushing experience the last 5 years, I have reduced myself to recording at home, playing all the instruments myself.

I'm just in a place right now where I don't think I ever want to be in a band again.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Have you ever "lost the faith"?

Hey

You message struck a chord, I registered just so I could answer and share my experience.

I was in a band 2 years ago, a trio, with good friends, people I knew and was friends with before we started playing music together. We had been playing together for 5 years when our bass player, Michel, was diagnosed with cancer. He died less than a year after that. I have played only once ever since.

To me, the band experience was getting together with people I trusted, loved and who were not judgemental. We met for 4 hours every week at the studio and it was just that: friends jamming, chatting, having a beer and a good time.

Despite the fact that I lost a friend (almost 2, I'd say, since the guitar player / singer and I don't hang out much anymore), I also lost the faith. I did not feel like playing anymore, and I did not feel like throwing myself out there, to try and join / form a new band either. I first stored my drums at my place when we emptied the studio, and in the guitarist's basement 6 months after Mike passed away.

I still have drum sticks and a couple pads lying around. I barely touch them. I do feel like playing again, sometimes, but won't make the effort to drag my ass to the nearest studio and beat on a crappy set of drums.

Still... I'm pretty sure, at some point, this will all come back. I feel it's still there somewhere, that longing. It just has not been strong enough yet.

All this to say, IMO your wife is right: keep your stuff, keep doing what you're doing, playing once in a while, or not playing at all. You'll be ready when you are, and then, you'll be happy your gear is still around, in need of a little dusting.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Life is too short to worry about stuff like this and let it make you not do the things which make you happy. Always make sure you enrich your life with a passion, which can be music, or anything else that gets your fire stoked.

As for music itself, keep seeking others. If playing music by yourself was truly the art-high you were going for, you probably wouldn't be making these posts. There's almost nothing in the world like locking in with your buddies and creating music. One of those singular feelings I've never found a replacement or similarity to. Like surfing... Nothing else like that feeling of gliding with all that power under your board.

Remember, these aren't things that require a lot of faith. If you don't have fun playing music, it might not be what you as a person need as enrichment or a creative outlet.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart1220 View Post
Have any of you ever given up and quit music and sold your stuff , only to "get the itch" a couple years later and buy it all back?

I have done it a couple times (I'm 56) and now my wife will not LET me sell my gear. (My guitar stuff, she has no idea why I wanted a drum kit)

The entire "Band" process has been such a soul crushing experience the last 5 years, I have reduced myself to recording at home, playing all the instruments myself.

I'm just in a place right now where I don't think I ever want to be in a band again.
I was in the same position, and finally figured things out a year or two back.

The solution for me, since I possess an entire backline, was to have a periodic get-together of aging musicians like myself. It's like poker night, but with musical instruments.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=128586

Drink beer, talk shit, play loud music.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

I am currently slowly losing the faith in my current project...

The realization that rather than a "full member" I am more of an appendage-the guy who plays drums. In my mind I have been building up over the last year that there was more to it than that... Looking at investing some real money (not that I even have it but...) into stuff like IEMs and digital mixers...transportation.
"Whatever"...

However when I suggested it was time for coming up with a business plan and revising "our" strategy? Crickets.... More or less followed by "WE are".

So, time for me to change my focus a little bit. Not invest so much by doing the "tiny" non-paying gigs. Work on my development as a drummer and expand my horizon a bit.

Not that I really mind being a (non) hired gun, but I am looking for something more.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Not really. I tend to loose interest in playing in favor of composing or vice versa. Or i'll not play drums for a month or so while going all out on keys or guitar. As for loosing faith in Music in general, no i haven't sunk to that level of sacrilege yet
Old 10-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

I continue to love playing but I donít think Iíve ever really been in a band situation. Most things Iíve done Iíve been a hired gun or the main sub on long terms. So I just usually get into my slot for the evening and do the gig and then go home. I never deal with the politics of the bands. Itíd be cool to have a band and if it ever happens I suppose Iíll take it one day and a time. But I already know Musicians arenít the most stable folks in the shed so perhaps that bit of wisdom will make for a better situation ;)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
As for loosing faith in Music in general, no i haven't sunk to that level of sacrilege yet
I can't say it's "Sacrilege" to give it all up for a time. It's more like responding to what's going on in your life at the moment.

I've been here for sure. Depression set in pretty hard for me about a year and a half ago and when it did, I stacked the kit into a corner & threw a blanket over them. I really felt like there was no point in playing as the music scene in my town is pretty much non-existent.
The drums themselves didn't offer any relief to what I was going through, but I knew NOT to sell them! Just store them until better times came around.

Then about 6 months ago, I went to a few local shows and saw what I used to do & felt the desire to see what's out there. I met up with a bass player buddy I'd been out of touch with for a while and found out he's doing guitar now. We're both in the Rockabilly scene and got together to see what we could do.

I built a stand up cocktail kit and now we're doing pretty well as local openers for bands that tour into town.

The moral of this story is don't EVER sell your instrument. Just store it away as I assure you better times are right around the corner.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
Not really. I tend to loose interest in playing in favor of composing or vice versa. Or i'll not play drums for a month or so while going all out on keys or guitar. As for loosing faith in Music in general, no i haven't sunk to that level of sacrilege yet
But reading the initial post, it's clear the OP hasn't lost interest in playing, and certainly not in music - he's still playing and recording at home. He's just lost faith in the band process - still particularly hard, since a band is what's required to play music live. And playing live is still the most fun aspect of playing an instrument.

I can't say that I've ever lost faith in the band process, but good god - there are plenty of times that I suppose I could have. And I've certainly witnessed enough examples of why someone could lose faith. It's difficult to get three, four, five different personalities in a room frequently enough, over a long enough period of time, to actually create the music you want to hear. People have to move. People get ill. People become assholes. People remain people. Lots of reasons to become disillusioned.

I'd give searching for a band a break and continue to play on your own. You'll meet some fellas eventually, and you can try it again. Just make sure you're all on the same trajectory - if one guy wants to organize a West Coast tour while another needs to stay home for his wife and baby, it's all going to fall apart fast. Look for guys with common goals, at a similar station in life as yourself.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, twice. The first time I got married and had just gone through a band split. Second time we got very close to a record deal, only for it to fall through. It had been a last chance saloon with my job, so the gear was sold. Never again. I play for the love of it now so weather I am in a band or not, the gear stays.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

The answer kind of depends on how much gear you are talking about. And how much room you have to store it.
I kept my 1963 drum set for 47 years. During those years I did not play at all.
Four years ago I retired and now I play it all the time and I'm loving it.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdrumTD8 View Post
Hey

You message struck a chord, I registered just so I could answer and share my experience.

I was in a band 2 years ago, a trio, with good friends, people I knew and was friends with before we started playing music together. We had been playing together for 5 years when our bass player, Michel, was diagnosed with cancer. He died less than a year after that. I have played only once ever since.

To me, the band experience was getting together with people I trusted, loved and who were not judgemental. We met for 4 hours every week at the studio and it was just that: friends jamming, chatting, having a beer and a good time.

Despite the fact that I lost a friend (almost 2, I'd say, since the guitar player / singer and I don't hang out much anymore), I also lost the faith. I did not feel like playing anymore, and I did not feel like throwing myself out there, to try and join / form a new band either. I first stored my drums at my place when we emptied the studio, and in the guitarist's basement 6 months after Mike passed away.

I still have drum sticks and a couple pads lying around. I barely touch them. I do feel like playing again, sometimes, but won't make the effort to drag my ass to the nearest studio and beat on a crappy set of drums.

Still... I'm pretty sure, at some point, this will all come back. I feel it's still there somewhere, that longing. It just has not been strong enough yet.

All this to say, IMO your wife is right: keep your stuff, keep doing what you're doing, playing once in a while, or not playing at all. You'll be ready when you are, and then, you'll be happy your gear is still around, in need of a little dusting.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. The bass player in the last working band I was in had JUST started playing again after decades because his brother, who had also been the drummer in his last band, had passed away. The band we shared lasted a couple years (failing because we refused to play the "Cedar rapids set list") but now he's playing in a couple bands and having a huge jam at his house every summer.

I actually DID sell my stage gear and replaced them with smaller, lighter amps. I'm selling my PA gear because everyone and his dog has a PA now. But yeah...I'll play until I can't.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:10 PM

I will say this...I was SUPPOSED to sell the drums for a profit (got em at a garage sale) because I'm not REALLY a drummer, but I kept em. My wife said she always knew I would, so I'm not in trouble. One thing I have noticed, is that when I get angry at something, my "cardio" gets louder and longer and it REALLY works out those frustrations.

I never got that from guitar or bass. PLus, learning a new instrument at my age is like bringing in a kitten to get an old cat moving again.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:16 AM
Renegade

Yes, I sold a kit, gave up, and took about eight years off before a phone call from a friend brought me back.

I have since quit playing in bands and now just do home recording. You don't necessarily need a band to enjoy music.

Soundcloud
Old 10-14-2017, 12:35 AM

I have never lost the desire to play, but have become tired of trying to whip a dead horse at times. When I have fallen in with the right people it's great but because of my work and family needs I am limited to how much time I can gig and that makes me limited to who I can play with. Even when I have thought I'd sell some equipment its only been stuff I don't use. I've always thought at least I'd keep enough stuff to be able to play.

I haven't played in two years, but I keep my eyes and ears open. Something will come up one of these days.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Played drums for 10 years in various Christian bands and worship teams trying to "make it." Last band broke up, I was so very tired of being in a band.

Tried to do the singer/songwriter thing in the Christian music industry. Failed miserably. Got tired of it after a few years. Was broke as all get out.

To take a total break from everything I was doing, I decided to start playing hammered dulcimer. Did that for five years. Got totally burned out on that. Started playing drums at church again.

Met up with some guys while playing hammered dulcimer, and they knew I played drums. I've come full circle.

Through all of this, I've gotten so burned out on so many things, but I'm really enjoying where I am now. Through all of this, there were MANY times I'd thought about selling my excellent drumset, my guitars, etc., but my wife kept me from doing so. Right now, I have a couple of very decent acoustic guitars that never see the light of day, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of them. Most recently, I bought my FINAL PA system. I'm so tired of buying and selling PA gear that I've decided to keep this one even if I never play in a band again. Same goes for everything that I own.

If I never need it again, fine. No problem. However, it's there should the winds ever change.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:50 AM

For me, not really, although there has been an ebb and flow of sorts with regard to focus. As a kid, I played my instruments alone, while playing drums in marching band, lead guitar in jazz band, and being in the theatre orchestra on drum set.

In college and my early years in LA, it was all about bands.

But then that changed, and I moved into being a Music Director for a few musicals, then went into songwriting and wrote some music for other performers.

Then I got back into drumming live with a band from 1998 to 2013.

Had a labrum tear in early 2014, so had to put the sticks away and picked up guitar. Been working on that since then, although I do drum on occasion.

Been active with Noodle Muffin since 2002, but we haven't done any shows since 2009. We're in the final stretch of mixing what might be our last album. I'm learning more about guitar for me, and writing and recording songs for me.

For the past few years, it's almost like I've gone full circle, back into my boyhood bedroom, by myself, learning more about my instruments, writing music, learning how to play new songs and new things, and doing it all for myself.

There might be another band down the road, someday. Maybe I've had my fill of playing the LA clubs, and the little clubs outside of town. Who knows.

Playing drums, guitar, or whatever instrument I have brings me happiness. I don't need an audience for that.

Keep your instruments. Get more instruments. Some might say I have too many instruments, and wonder why. It's just happiness. No do-overs. I get to do this once. Have fun.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:00 AM
The SunDog

Not really. No. I've taken time off, years a couple times, but I never intended to quit completely. So I never sold my drums. They were hard won and precious to me. I've just felt the need to recharge my batteries every so often. The whole thing can leave you feeling burnt out at times. I think it's important to step back and get inspired again.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:38 PM

Ive been on a hiatus for years, just lazy. After bands for a few years a buddy started an open mic situation that lasted for a few years, it was wonderful. I was basically house drummer, would bring or leave a kit there, show up and have a ball. I need that again or a band or just to get more motivated in life in general...story of my life. But drums and music are on my mind, are my passion, and bring me endless joy daily. I didn't lose faith, just stopped showing up at church. Im an idiot
Old 10-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Most definitely.
Quit music altogether in 2003. Got completely fed up with touring & basically fell out of love with the Punk scene.
Got married, Had two kids & spent the next 12 years having absolutely nothing to do with music.
fast forward 2 1/2 years ago & I was asked to re join my "Proper" band. Haven't looked back since :)
Back Street Abortions.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

There's been times I didn't play for weeks, even months, on end... but the thought of just up and quitting never occurred to me.

Real life did bring me to a "sell my drumkit" moment, but that was due to mounting debt from a divorce, not a desire to quit the biz. As it happened, I was packing the kit up to go sell, I got an incredible debt consolidation offer from one of my credit card companies in the mail. I mean, the kit was loaded in the truck to go sell to a music store. Instead, six months later I was able to take it in and trade it towards a Yamaha Stage Custom kit -- which I still have.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:05 PM

I'm only happy when I am in a working band. To me, drums alone is useless. I can only improve myself when I have new songs to work, musicians I can trust, concert I can perform in and enjoy.
So it happens two or three times in twenty years after band failure, being fired or when it took too long to find new people to play with : I was desparate, wanted to sell the acoustic kit to go electro to play at home. Each time I rebounded, I found good musicians.
Still, even now, every band failure is a really bad time to me. Fortunately i trust more myself now more than I use to, I think I would take it better if it was to happen again.

Last edited by Tamaefx; 10-16-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:58 AM

I have to say, long story short, my band broke up in the late 90's. I moved to LA and looked for bands but was always so frustrated and disappointed. After a couple of years I just gave up looking, but never stopped thinking about being in a band and playing music. Every 6 months or so I would get the bug, search the ads and then give up. It was a running joke between me and my friends. Every 6 months, "You know what? I think I'm going to join a band..." I practiced occasionally on friends' kits, but mine were in storage. For about 12 years, and the whole time just wondering, should I find a band? I played drums my whole life and all I've ever wanted to do was play music. I finally got a rehearsal room a few years ago. I still think about looking for a band, but the thought depresses me almost instantly, especially considering I'll be 50 next month. I'm pretty disappointed in myself for giving up and probably will be until I'm on my death bed. But I'm wailing every week on the same Tama Granstars I bought in 1989. When I graduate nursing school in December and get a job, my first paycheck will go towards a new set. Okay, that wasn't short sorry.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM

Years back i was in a symphonic metal-ish band and a prog rock band. With the first we had a couple of gigs and were talking about recording a demo, but we had problems that the vocals weren't up to par. So we spent quite some time finding a replacement for her with no success. Besides that, our bassplayer went to Norway for a 2 months or so, but after he came back he didn't want to play in a band anymore. So we 3 (guitarplayer, keyboardplayer and me) went on for a while.

The prog rock band had potential to become something (we even recorded a 4 track demo), but sadly our singer got sick (cancer) and was busy recovering from all the chemo's. Around that time our guitar player went to Brazil, fell in love with a girl there and decided to stop playing in our band due to moving to Brazil and marrying this girl. So we decided to pull the plug on this band.

That all left a very sour taste and a also quit the symphonic band (what was left). Didn't had the motivation or drive to start something new after the time, effort, energy and money invested. Had my kit in a practice space, but moved it back home where it stayed disassembled in the attic. Just didn't had the drive to do something musical anymore, but it was also the time that i went back to college and uni. Eventually sold the most of my cymbals so i could afford an electric kit, but ended up investing that money in a new bed/mattress/bureau

Fast forward to 2011; got my bachelor in laws and wanted to pick up drumming again (did play with a cover band during study, but that was once a year gig on christmas eve). Got a nice set of Zildjians and have been playing ever since, although the prog band a joined in 2011 is no more; but i still play once a month with that guitar player because it's fun to play some tunes. In early 2016 i joined a rock band after recording their EP and stuck with them ever since :)
Old 10-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Yup. Right at this moment in time I've lost the faith in the band I'm in and am thinking of serving notice to fulfil all remaining obligations then quit. Said for a long time that this is my last band (it's been the best by far) and that when this is finished I am also finished with drums (it's ALL about being in a band for me personally).

The bass player's an absolute arsehole. And I'm not sure I've even got the will, or the inclination, to try to tackle him on where things are going wrong.

I don't know if I'm mildly depressed with it all or something but I love the music the band plays. But am just so....."cannot be arsed" with this guy anymore.

It's quite sad. I won't bore people too much with the background but very basically I and singer want to gig, bass player (and guitarist to an extent) want to spaz around in his wanky little home made recording studio all the time and make CDs. Impossible to ever have any kind of discussion with the bass player about anything that he might object to because he's an utterly impossible 'sulk'.

He also fibs his way out of doing gigs (usually with the excuse of work). I long suspected it. His wife dropped him in it a week or two back.

Crowning turd on the whole shit pile for me was when he filled in his 'unavailables' for 2018 recently which left a mighty 12 weekends for doing gigs. I want to play fifty+ gigs a year. We're gonna be lucky to do a dozen. Sooo tired of it.

Rant over....my apologies.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:17 PM
JohnoWorld

Interesting thread

I've lost the faith many times - living in a flat will do that to a drummer, but I've lost the faith with my band mates more.

They never write tunes, so I taught myself, got my computer setup correctly and then kept sending the songs to them in a "look, even a crap drummer can write tunes"

Didn't work and to be honest, that's all I'm ever trying to do these days, inspire them to pick their freakin instruments up again. Brilliantly skilled, great blokes, just no desire to play.

I, on the other hand literally go mental if I'm not playing music in one way or another. At the moment I'm simply re-mixing my friends wifes music and whilst it's completely out of my comfort zone, I absolutely love it. Totally different style to what I'm used to and I'm learning loads about production.

So I took the positives from losing faith, but, another 5 years on and I'm still not gigging. Starting up a band with the guys from work and it's like trying to teach everyone how to be in a band again. They are a few years younger than me to be fair though.

Regular gigs would be terrible right now though as hypermobility syndrome is really causing me lots and lots of pain just sitting on a throne for 5 minutes.

I may have to give it up altogether
Old 10-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

I feel like I'm in that "lost" phase currently. I would love to get into another band, but I can honestly say I don't miss all the rehearsal and political BS. I'm in a big time rut as far as music goes right now; of all the songs I know, I'm getting really bored playing them and no other songs seems get my creative juices flowing - I'm kinda bluh!

I just bought some new G2 coated heads for my toms and will probably change out my old clear EC2s with them this weekend. Maybe that will breathe a little life into me with a little change in sound and spending some time tweaking.

I think I need a life-changing event... something positive, not bad... I don't want that!!!

My whole life is so wrapped around a schedule, it ridiculous! Hell, I even have to pee on a schedule everyday too, it sucks! Year after year after year! Ok, this part doesn't have much to do with music, but you get the idea.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
I feel like I'm in that "lost" phase currently. I would love to get into another band, but I can honestly say I don't miss all the rehearsal and political BS. I'm in a big time rut as far as music goes right now; of all the songs I know, I'm getting really bored playing them and no other songs seems get my creative juices flowing - I'm kinda bluh!

I just bought some new G2 coated heads for my toms and will probably change out my old clear EC2s with them this weekend. Maybe that will breathe a little life into me with a little change in sound and spending some time tweaking.

I think I need a life-changing event... something positive, not bad... I don't want that!!!

My whole life is so wrapped around a schedule, it ridiculous! Hell, I even have to pee on a schedule everyday too, it sucks! Year after year after year! Ok, this part doesn't have much to do with music, but you get the idea.
I've actually found a small pleasure in doing a lot of tweaking. I still love to play, but playing alone all the time gets pretty boring so I've spent way more time than I ever did trying different heads, tuning, snare wires, snare bottoms etc. If I ever ever leave Remo coated and go to Evans I'll know I've gone to the dark side...