DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:52 AM

Default Off days.

I'm assuming it really boils down to a lack of practise, but ever have just a miserable time behind the kit? Just a total lack of ability where your timing is off, rolls sound like trash, and everything is either a boring overplayed cliche that doesn't feel good or is total crap? The sound of your drums drives you crazy and your cymbals aren't what you fell in love with? You hope not one of your neighbours can hear, you feel like smashing your kit in a fit of rage and your sticks would feel better up your arse than in your hands? You question why you continue to invest money, effort and time into such a ridiculous activity that ultimately you consider selling it all for alcohol, cigarettes and Netflix subscription? I've had off days before, and we all hit frustration from time to time, but my god this afternoon was something else. And my landlady came home unexpectedly and was privy to it all.

/rant.
Anyone want a drumset?
Old 09-29-2017, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Off days.

Hang in there- we're all our own worst critic, and the rough ones are offset by the times everything clicks. :)
Old 09-29-2017, 05:49 AM

We all have bad days. When that happens to me , I work on "fun" things to take the edge off, and then go back to what I was working on.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 AM

When you record every jam it can be even worse. Especially when the bass player really likes something that he played and wants to hear that part where I sucked over and over.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:26 AM

I know that situation well. I find that some days it just takes a while for things to click into action and you need a good long warm up. I find that playing a simple beat repetitively for a good while helps this. I had one of those days last week, but after about and hour and a half things somehow just came together, just like that.

I also find that there are other factors like playing on an empty stomach or not having enough sleep. In these situations the brain impulses that trigger chops don't come, therefore causing the limbs to freeze.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

If you play well every day then you are unique. If it wasn't a gig situation then why sweat it? I practice/play when I want to, and when I enjoy it, I never force myself. If I don't feel like it or It is simply frustrating me then I stop. There is always tomorrow. Two things.... one, its art not science. Two, its supposed to be fun.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 PM
JohnoWorld

I get this also, what I find is that changing the snare helps.

I find it changes the whole sound of the kit and re-invigorates you. It's like flipping through some electric kit patches
Old 09-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
If you play well every day then you are unique. If it wasn't a gig situation then why sweat it? I practice/play when I want to, and when I enjoy it, I never force myself. If I don't feel like it or It is simply frustrating me then I stop. There is always tomorrow. Two things.... one, its art not science. Two, its supposed to be fun.
^^^ This. If you're playing dreadfully, and nothing you do to try to fix it works, then - like digging a hole - just stop.

Sometimes you know that stuff needs to be worked through, so that's what you do on those occasions, but other times when the awfulness comes out of nowhere, for absolutely no good reason, then you can't reason with it and you have to wait till it goes away.

The less pressure you put on yourself, the quicker you'll bounce back.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM

I can totally relate to your pain! After a poor / average session behind the kit I'd often feel like giving up. I'll over analyse everything I did during and prior to the session. I soon realised that there are so many contributing factors, some of which are in your control but equally there other things you can't control. For example - Before any band practice or gig, I try my best to do the following -

1) Rest plenty during the day
2) Eat healthy food and drink plenty of water
3) I listen to some of my favourite drumming songs prior to playing with the band. These may not necessarily be songs I'll be playing with the band however, a 20 min blast on the practice pad or on the steering wheel (while on route) certainly helps me loosen up and it clears my head space.
4) Make sure you are happy with the sound of your kit prior to leaving for the session
5) Allow plenty of time for getting to the venue as rushing around or being late can often cause un-necessary pressure and it may impact on your playing.

Things out of your control which can contribute towards an average session -

1) Poor acoustics in the room you'll be playing in. This can often be very off putting.
2) Limited space to play (small venues etc...) Often resulting in you compromising your set up.
3) If another member of the band is having an average session

I'm sure there are many more things to factor in however, since I have worked on the things I can control, my practice sessions and gigs have been far more enjoyable and rewarding. I hope this helps :-)
Old 09-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
..... ultimately you consider selling it all for alcohol, cigarettes and Netflix subscription? ....

/rant.
Anyone want a drumset?
A guitarist that I used to know [when he got discouraged] would say: "I'm gonna throw my $hit in the river". (meaning his gear of course).

It sounded amusing at the time, and so the saying stuck (with those of us that were there that day).

Unfortunately, theres plenty of days where I wanna throw my $hit in the river.
I never actually have, and I'm thankful for it.

I say hang in there, it'l most likely turn around and you'll be glad that you kept your stuff.

T
Old 09-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

After 58 years on God's green earth, I've learned to not purposefully pi$$ myself off. Life's too short. If the drumset and I are at odds, I walk away.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:05 PM

Everyone has those off days, where things just don't seem quite right.

What's tough about it is that playing typically makes me happy. When it doesn't, I know something is wrong.

That's when I make the one-and-only decision to not make any important decisions. Definitely do not sell gear. Destroying gear is a sign of deeper, more serious issues. But yea, all of that gear might make a nice bonfire. That's the thought.

When that off day shows up, I tend to spend time focusing on myself. I'll sit in silence, rest, meditate, or write. I see it as something that I have to do, so that I can get to what I want to do.

Eventually, whatever was "off" rights itself, and it's back to business.

One other thing, when that off day shows up, I remind myself of all the other off days I've had, and remember that I made it through those. This one will be no different.

Today sucks. Bah. Whatever. Tomorrow will be better.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think I get angry but I sometimes get bored.

I get briefly frustrated when I'm trying to learn (memorize) something.

I stay within my capabilities so I don't get frustrated trying to be the best player in the universe. I'm happy being the best drummer in my band :)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

The bad news, you never stop having "off days".

The good news, then; after a point in your drumming journey, the only one who can tell you're having an "off day" is you.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Even worse when the off day falls in a lesson! Everything that seemed ok at home goes to pieces. And of course that then frustrates and causes tension, so everything goes to pot!! Then next day at home, all is fine again!
Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

Off days just happen for no perticular reason. Personally some days I can't play what I have in my head, other days I can and more.

I never walk away from the kit in frustration though, I'll just concentrate on something else and try again another day. It happens.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Simple...on an off day, take a day off
Old 09-30-2017, 07:21 PM
"Uncle Larry"

With all due respect, there's a much more positive way to look at this, because of a certain fact.

That fact is that the harder the practice goes, the quicker you move forward.

On the days that frustrate you the most...they move you forward more quickly than the days you enjoy it. I won't go into the specifics, but basically the harder time your brain has, the more you kick it in gear....if you don't allow your emotions to hamstring you during or afterward.

Performing is where the fun is. Whoever said practice is supposed to be fun? Practice is work. Now if you find difficult stuff fun, which is the very best attitude you can have regarding practice, then yea practice is fun. But many times, work is frustrating, that's why it's called work.

So accept the frustration. It's a good sign. Think of it like having a disagreement with your whoever. It's not pleasant when it's happening, but many times it's better afterwards.

Think of it as a test. Are you going to let a collection of inanimate objects get the better of you?
Old 09-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
. Whoever said practice is supposed to be fun?

Well, it's called PLAYING the drums for a reason :)
Old 10-03-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
The bad news, you never stop having "off days".

The good news, then; after a point in your drumming journey, the only one who can tell you're having an "off day" is you.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
With all due respect, there's a much more positive way to look at this, because of a certain fact.

That fact is that the harder the practice goes, the quicker you move forward.

On the days that frustrate you the most...they move you forward more quickly than the days you enjoy it. I won't go into the specifics, but basically the harder time your brain has, the more you kick it in gear....if you don't allow your emotions to hamstring you during or afterward.

Performing is where the fun is. Whoever said practice is supposed to be fun? Practice is work. Now if you find difficult stuff fun, which is the very best attitude you can have regarding practice, then yea practice is fun. But many times, work is frustrating, that's why it's called work.

So accept the frustration. It's a good sign. Think of it like having a disagreement with your whoever. It's not pleasant when it's happening, but many times it's better afterwards.

Think of it as a test. Are you going to let a collection of inanimate objects get the better of you?
And this!

I used to let off-days get the better of me, but after years of playing, I came to realize that some of my biggest breakthroughs have come after working through those off-days.

It probably sounds trite, but if you can learn to look at drumming struggles as learning experiences, it will not only help pacify your head-space, it will immensely benefit your playing. Trust me!
Old 10-10-2017, 02:45 PM

We all have them it's just natural and i often think is it worth it but the next day you can be just doing summat and get a good groove going and your in love with your Drums again lol
Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 PM

I watch YouTube vids of the pros and realize how much I really suck.
Wood Sticks

Inspired By Phil Gould