DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default The dusty trail........

How far do you good folks here travel to play, what's the farthest away you've played. (There's at least one guy who does world tours regularly so I'll ask what's the strangest gig you've done as well)

I'm in the middle of England so we go up to about 2 hours in each direction. As a rule of thumb if I see sea I've gone too far.

Farthest away I've done is Scotland, man that's a mission!

Strangest gig was probably some island we played Essex way where you had to wait for the tide to go out before you could get on/off the island.

At this point I realise I live on a little overcrowded Island so my road trips may be on the modest side compared to most!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The dusty trail........

I once drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco (almost 8 leisurely hours) to rehearse and play drumset with a drum and bugle corps for four hours then perform a 12-minute show for FREE.

Yeah. Only once.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:22 PM
"Uncle Larry"

My furthest (farthest?) gig is only 2 hours and 15 minutes. Normally my gigs are 1 hour or slightly less from my house.

In the past I have driven 4 hours for a gig, but that only happened once.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 PM
JohnoWorld

5 hours in traffic from Rugby to Leeds to play a 25 minute set to an empty room

That is the time for me NOT to have a microphone
Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=larryace;1526585]My furthest (farthest?) [quote]

Same as furthest :)
Old 10-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I once drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco (almost 8 leisurely hours) to rehearse and play drumset with a drum and bugle corps for four hours then perform a 12-minute show for FREE.

Yeah. Only once.
Ouch!

The Scotland gig was a mere 7 1/2 hour drive and we stayed over!

I wouldn't have liked to have seen the size of coffee you had if you came back the same day. If so how were the hallucinations?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

We played SXSW in Austin a few years ago, which was a cool 2 day drive. We had a show booked on the way which fell through, so we drove two days to play two shows for a total of an hour to about 100 people. And I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Normally we say that our gigging area is Philly to Maine and anywhere in between (about 5 hours in either direction). Usually anything over 3 hours we will try to set up a couple of shows in a row to make it worthwhile, but that's not always possible. We just want to play to new people on new stages, so we all just hop in the van and drive to just about anywhere that will have us.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Ouch!

The Scotland gig was a mere 7 1/2 hour drive and we stayed over!

I wouldn't have liked to have seen the size of coffee you had if you came back the same day. If so how were the hallucinations?
Well I did stay over night and it was a favor out of love for who I was working with, but once you get back and realize what youíve done you stop volunteering yourself for things like that ;)
Old 10-06-2017, 06:14 PM

The farthest I travel for any gig at the moment is 28 miles, but since I'm in Houston that's over an hour's drive, in very heavy traffic, and on freeways that are thirty years past their prime.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post

Yeah. Only once.
I did the reverse of this from SF to San Pedro for a show one time. Lucky for us, Mike Watt showed up and made our year listening to our humble post-punk BS at a great show with very enthusiastic fans.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My furthest (farthest?) gig...
Farther = distance
Further = degree

"If we drive any farther, I will not discuss this further." :)

Apart from my touring gig, the farthest I've gone with a local band is probably 500 miles, and happily it was a carpool situation. Occasionally I'll drive 100-120 miles, also usually a carpool situation.

Fortunately, most of my gigs are "in town", which in L.A. can mean 25-50 miles.

Here's another rule just for fun:

Theater = the building
Theatre = the craft

Sadly, nobody sticks to that one.

Bermuda
Old 10-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

As a pub band drummer in the North East of England we fill our diaries closer to home and the farthest I've driven is about 45 miles/an hour. I remember years ago seeing a pub about 70 miles away advertising for bands and I mistakenly thought that playing further from home equalled "success". It was then pointed out to me that there were dozens of closer venues we hadn't even looked at.
All being well I'm gigging with one or other of my bands 3-4 Saturdays a month next year with most gigs being within 20 minutes drive and the farthest about 45 minutes away.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Farther = distance
Further = degree

"If we drive any farther, I will not discuss this further." :)

Apart from my touring gig, the farthest I've gone with a local band is probably 500 miles, and happily it was a carpool situation. Occasionally I'll drive 100-120 miles, also usually a carpool situation.

Fortunately, most of my gigs are "in town", which in L.A. can mean 25-50 miles.

Here's another rule just for fun:

Theater = the building
Theatre = the craft

Sadly, nobody sticks to that one.

Bermuda
Thank you for finally clearing that up for me Jon.

And good tip on the theater/theatre thing.

Now I know who to ask when I have those pesky grammar questions.

Here's my offering. When a Roger says to Dale that he is jealous of one of Dale's possessions....it is correctly described as envy, not jealousy.

Roger is envious of Dale's possession.

Jealousy involves a minimum of 3 people.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post

Strangest gig was probably some island we played Essex way where you had to wait for the tide to go out before you could get on/off the island.

At this point I realise I live on a little overcrowded Island so my road trips may be on the modest side compared to most!

Ahhh, good old Mersea Island! My sister lived there for a while. Used to look up the tide times before travelling!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 PM

It varies for me. I've toured europe/UK probably 10 times (I live in LA now but used to live in NYC), Mexico too a couple times.

Farthest I've probably gone is Japan. One of those times we travelled to Tokyo for a one-off show where we spent more time in the air than we did on the ground.

If I'm driving, it's usually within a region of the US: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, West Coast, etc...

Right now I'm in Edmonton (from LA) for a one-off festival show.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Metallica has played on all 7 continents.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

I'm normally willing to travel up to 3 1/2 hours for a gig-- a little longer than it takes to drive from Portland to Seattle. It has to pay, and/or be something I really want to do, of course. I'll drive an hour for not-that-great normal gigs.

The furthest I've driven per gig was kind of a bad SXSW tour-- we had shows in San Francisco, San Diego, and Austin. With the return trip that averaged out to ~1500 miles of driving per show.

The furthest I've driven to see a show was 1800 miles from Eugene to Kansas City, to see DCI finals in '88 or '89. I think we decided to do that on Thursday evening, and the show was on Saturday.

The strangest gig I've ever played was a children's party in Hong Kong at 8:00 am on Christmas morning. I guess there were about 500 kids there. There was supposed to be an hour of piano trio background music, then a gift drawing, for which they asked if I would play a drum roll. The piano player decided to just play Song For My Father for the whole hour. The drawing was conducted in Chinese, and the only person who gave me any indication of when to roll was our singer-- urgently-- who didn't speak Chinese, and had no actual idea of what was going on. I didn't do anything and it didn't matter.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post

The strangest gig I've ever played was a children's party in Hong Kong at 8:00 am on Christmas morning. I guess there were about 500 kids there. There was supposed to be an hour of piano trio background music, then a gift drawing, for which they asked if I would play a drum roll. The piano player decided to just play Song For My Father for the whole hour. The drawing was conducted in Chinese, and the only person who gave me any indication of when to roll was our singer-- urgently-- who didn't speak Chinese, and had no actual idea of what was going on. I didn't do anything and it didn't matter.
There is nothing that I don't like about this.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:27 PM

Went with Noodle Muffin to UC Davis, roughly 500 miles from LA. It was our best gig, with regard to attendance, excitement and sales. We didn't even promote.

This was when we figured out that the farther away from LA one gets, the better the audience can be, and the better the gig.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

When I was young and foolish my original band drove to Sydney (almost 1000 miles) to play a 45 minute set at a three day festival, because 'the industry' was going to be there. Dodgy hand written map from the organisers, got lost, late, overtired, noisy accommodation in big tin sheds, cold showers...

Played OK at one of the smaller stages, OK response, no industry people, very little money... Ultra tired, and nearly fell asleep at the wheel way home, even rotating drivers. Then about one hour from home I got a speeding ticket which really was not my fault. Very frustrating, and not worth the effort.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

I drove 14.5 hours from NC to MI to play open for a national artist.

We got a 15 min. slot.

20 people showed up.

Ran out of gas twice on the way back home.

Yes, I was much younger and foolish then.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:50 PM

We're based in Salt Lake City, and probably the furthest away we have ever played is Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. We did a 7 week residency there at their new Hard Rock Cafe in 2009/2010 (including a show on Christmas, lol). We were back that way the following year to play in Macau, and ended up doing another week in Saigon.

A few years ago we played at the IndyCar race in Fontana, California and then drove 2400 miles over the next 4 days to Savannah, Georgia to play (and kick off an East Coast tour). The money was great and we had a really good time, so no worries there. Coast to coast in one go!

Right now we're in Belgium, taking the ferry from Calais to Dover tomorrow and driving 500 miles up to Edinburgh for a gig Wednesday (among other UK gigs). Not really looking forward to the drive tomorrow, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Phil View Post
We're based in Salt Lake City, and probably the furthest away we have ever played is Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. We did a 7 week residency there at their new Hard Rock Cafe in 2009/2010 (including a show on Christmas, lol). We were back that way the following year to play in Macau, and ended up doing another week in Saigon.

A few years ago we played at the IndyCar race in Fontana, California and then drove 2400 miles over the next 4 days to Savannah, Georgia to play (and kick off an East Coast tour). The money was great and we had a really good time, so no worries there. Coast to coast in one go!

Right now we're in Belgium, taking the ferry from Calais to Dover tomorrow and driving 500 miles up to Edinburgh for a gig Wednesday (among other UK gigs). Not really looking forward to the drive tomorrow, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
That actually sounds great, apart from the cross country run. We've been on family holidays to Vietnam, Macau and Edinburgh, (amongst others) so I can picture those locations well.

My nephew is currently playing drums on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean, so he always sending pictures from Rome, Venice, Dubrovnik, Greek Islands, Ephesus, Nice, Monaco, etc.. Not a bad way to do it, based on a ship for six months.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cobwebs View Post
Ahhh, good old Mersea Island! My sister lived there for a while. Used to look up the tide times before travelling!
That's the name of it, couldn't think of it for the life of me!

Did another water related strange gig a couple years back at a house built on an island in a river with a river lock one side and a weir the other. The only way in was to carry all the gear across this narrow lock gate bridge thing with a 40 foot drop either side. I didn't understand what a tight grip was until that night.

It's nice to see both ends of the scale here!