DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:13 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,560
Default The dusty trail........

How far do you good folks here travel to play, what's the farthest away you've played. (There's at least one guy who does world tours regularly so I'll ask what's the strangest gig you've done as well)

I'm in the middle of England so we go up to about 2 hours in each direction. As a rule of thumb if I see sea I've gone too far.

Farthest away I've done is Scotland, man that's a mission!

Strangest gig was probably some island we played Essex way where you had to wait for the tide to go out before you could get on/off the island.

At this point I realise I live on a little overcrowded Island so my road trips may be on the modest side compared to most!
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,918
Default Re: The dusty trail........

I once drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco (almost 8 leisurely hours) to rehearse and play drumset with a drum and bugle corps for four hours then perform a 12-minute show for FREE.

Yeah. Only once.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:22 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,084
Default Re: The dusty trail........

My furthest (farthest?) gig is only 2 hours and 15 minutes. Normally my gigs are 1 hour or slightly less from my house.

In the past I have driven 4 hours for a gig, but that only happened once.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 PM
JohnoWorld
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The dusty trail........

5 hours in traffic from Rugby to Leeds to play a 25 minute set to an empty room

That is the time for me NOT to have a microphone
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: The dusty trail........

[quote=larryace;1526585]My furthest (farthest?) [quote]

Same as furthest :)
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:47 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I once drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco (almost 8 leisurely hours) to rehearse and play drumset with a drum and bugle corps for four hours then perform a 12-minute show for FREE.

Yeah. Only once.
Ouch!

The Scotland gig was a mere 7 1/2 hour drive and we stayed over!

I wouldn't have liked to have seen the size of coffee you had if you came back the same day. If so how were the hallucinations?
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:57 PM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 1,418
Default Re: The dusty trail........

We played SXSW in Austin a few years ago, which was a cool 2 day drive. We had a show booked on the way which fell through, so we drove two days to play two shows for a total of an hour to about 100 people. And I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Normally we say that our gigging area is Philly to Maine and anywhere in between (about 5 hours in either direction). Usually anything over 3 hours we will try to set up a couple of shows in a row to make it worthwhile, but that's not always possible. We just want to play to new people on new stages, so we all just hop in the van and drive to just about anywhere that will have us.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,918
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Ouch!

The Scotland gig was a mere 7 1/2 hour drive and we stayed over!

I wouldn't have liked to have seen the size of coffee you had if you came back the same day. If so how were the hallucinations?
Well I did stay over night and it was a favor out of love for who I was working with, but once you get back and realize what youíve done you stop volunteering yourself for things like that ;)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2017, 06:14 PM
TheElectricCompany's Avatar
TheElectricCompany TheElectricCompany is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 373
Default Re: The dusty trail........

The farthest I travel for any gig at the moment is 28 miles, but since I'm in Houston that's over an hour's drive, in very heavy traffic, and on freeways that are thirty years past their prime.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,149
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I once drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco (almost 8 leisurely hours) to rehearse and play drumset with a drum and bugle corps for four hours then perform a 12-minute show for FREE.

Yeah. Only once.
I did the reverse of this from SF to San Pedro for a show one time. Lucky for us, Mike Watt showed up and made our year listening to our humble post-punk BS at a great show with very enthusiastic fans.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-07-2017, 06:15 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,609
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My furthest (farthest?) gig...
Farther = distance
Further = degree

"If we drive any farther, I will not discuss this further." :)

Apart from my touring gig, the farthest I've gone with a local band is probably 500 miles, and happily it was a carpool situation. Occasionally I'll drive 100-120 miles, also usually a carpool situation.

Fortunately, most of my gigs are "in town", which in L.A. can mean 25-50 miles.

Here's another rule just for fun:

Theater = the building
Theatre = the craft

Sadly, nobody sticks to that one.

Bermuda
__________________
DrumDoug: "I've tried talking to the guys about our stage volume, but it just falls on deaf ears"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Woolwich Woolwich is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 560
Default Re: The dusty trail........

As a pub band drummer in the North East of England we fill our diaries closer to home and the farthest I've driven is about 45 miles/an hour. I remember years ago seeing a pub about 70 miles away advertising for bands and I mistakenly thought that playing further from home equalled "success". It was then pointed out to me that there were dozens of closer venues we hadn't even looked at.
All being well I'm gigging with one or other of my bands 3-4 Saturdays a month next year with most gigs being within 20 minutes drive and the farthest about 45 minutes away.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,084
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Farther = distance
Further = degree

"If we drive any farther, I will not discuss this further." :)

Apart from my touring gig, the farthest I've gone with a local band is probably 500 miles, and happily it was a carpool situation. Occasionally I'll drive 100-120 miles, also usually a carpool situation.

Fortunately, most of my gigs are "in town", which in L.A. can mean 25-50 miles.

Here's another rule just for fun:

Theater = the building
Theatre = the craft

Sadly, nobody sticks to that one.

Bermuda
Thank you for finally clearing that up for me Jon.

And good tip on the theater/theatre thing.

Now I know who to ask when I have those pesky grammar questions.

Here's my offering. When a Roger says to Dale that he is jealous of one of Dale's possessions....it is correctly described as envy, not jealousy.

Roger is envious of Dale's possession.

Jealousy involves a minimum of 3 people.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Purple Cobwebs's Avatar
Purple Cobwebs Purple Cobwebs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 68
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post

Strangest gig was probably some island we played Essex way where you had to wait for the tide to go out before you could get on/off the island.

At this point I realise I live on a little overcrowded Island so my road trips may be on the modest side compared to most!

Ahhh, good old Mersea Island! My sister lived there for a while. Used to look up the tide times before travelling!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 PM
ConcertTom's Avatar
ConcertTom ConcertTom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 143
Default Re: The dusty trail........

It varies for me. I've toured europe/UK probably 10 times (I live in LA now but used to live in NYC), Mexico too a couple times.

Farthest I've probably gone is Japan. One of those times we travelled to Tokyo for a one-off show where we spent more time in the air than we did on the ground.

If I'm driving, it's usually within a region of the US: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, West Coast, etc...

Right now I'm in Edmonton (from LA) for a one-off festival show.
__________________
________________
hereliesman.com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Metallica has played on all 7 continents.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-07-2017, 07:03 PM
toddbishop toddbishop is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,972
Default Re: The dusty trail........

I'm normally willing to travel up to 3 1/2 hours for a gig-- a little longer than it takes to drive from Portland to Seattle. It has to pay, and/or be something I really want to do, of course. I'll drive an hour for not-that-great normal gigs.

The furthest I've driven per gig was kind of a bad SXSW tour-- we had shows in San Francisco, San Diego, and Austin. With the return trip that averaged out to ~1500 miles of driving per show.

The furthest I've driven to see a show was 1800 miles from Eugene to Kansas City, to see DCI finals in '88 or '89. I think we decided to do that on Thursday evening, and the show was on Saturday.

The strangest gig I've ever played was a children's party in Hong Kong at 8:00 am on Christmas morning. I guess there were about 500 kids there. There was supposed to be an hour of piano trio background music, then a gift drawing, for which they asked if I would play a drum roll. The piano player decided to just play Song For My Father for the whole hour. The drawing was conducted in Chinese, and the only person who gave me any indication of when to roll was our singer-- urgently-- who didn't speak Chinese, and had no actual idea of what was going on. I didn't do anything and it didn't matter.
__________________
Visit Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog | 2017 CSD! Book of the Blog now available
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:31 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 1,461
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post

The strangest gig I've ever played was a children's party in Hong Kong at 8:00 am on Christmas morning. I guess there were about 500 kids there. There was supposed to be an hour of piano trio background music, then a gift drawing, for which they asked if I would play a drum roll. The piano player decided to just play Song For My Father for the whole hour. The drawing was conducted in Chinese, and the only person who gave me any indication of when to roll was our singer-- urgently-- who didn't speak Chinese, and had no actual idea of what was going on. I didn't do anything and it didn't matter.
There is nothing that I don't like about this.
__________________
Get out there. Don't be a Richard.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-08-2017, 03:27 PM
DrumWild DrumWild is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 387
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Went with Noodle Muffin to UC Davis, roughly 500 miles from LA. It was our best gig, with regard to attendance, excitement and sales. We didn't even promote.

This was when we figured out that the farther away from LA one gets, the better the audience can be, and the better the gig.
__________________
I don't really feel like I belong here, so please feel free to delete my account.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Morrisman's Avatar
Morrisman Morrisman is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: The dusty trail........

When I was young and foolish my original band drove to Sydney (almost 1000 miles) to play a 45 minute set at a three day festival, because 'the industry' was going to be there. Dodgy hand written map from the organisers, got lost, late, overtired, noisy accommodation in big tin sheds, cold showers...

Played OK at one of the smaller stages, OK response, no industry people, very little money... Ultra tired, and nearly fell asleep at the wheel way home, even rotating drivers. Then about one hour from home I got a speeding ticket which really was not my fault. Very frustrating, and not worth the effort.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,017
Default Re: The dusty trail........

I drove 14.5 hours from NC to MI to play open for a national artist.

We got a 15 min. slot.

20 people showed up.

Ran out of gas twice on the way back home.

Yes, I was much younger and foolish then.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Super Phil's Avatar
Super Phil Super Phil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 440
Default Re: The dusty trail........

We're based in Salt Lake City, and probably the furthest away we have ever played is Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. We did a 7 week residency there at their new Hard Rock Cafe in 2009/2010 (including a show on Christmas, lol). We were back that way the following year to play in Macau, and ended up doing another week in Saigon.

A few years ago we played at the IndyCar race in Fontana, California and then drove 2400 miles over the next 4 days to Savannah, Georgia to play (and kick off an East Coast tour). The money was great and we had a really good time, so no worries there. Coast to coast in one go!

Right now we're in Belgium, taking the ferry from Calais to Dover tomorrow and driving 500 miles up to Edinburgh for a gig Wednesday (among other UK gigs). Not really looking forward to the drive tomorrow, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Morrisman's Avatar
Morrisman Morrisman is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Phil View Post
We're based in Salt Lake City, and probably the furthest away we have ever played is Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. We did a 7 week residency there at their new Hard Rock Cafe in 2009/2010 (including a show on Christmas, lol). We were back that way the following year to play in Macau, and ended up doing another week in Saigon.

A few years ago we played at the IndyCar race in Fontana, California and then drove 2400 miles over the next 4 days to Savannah, Georgia to play (and kick off an East Coast tour). The money was great and we had a really good time, so no worries there. Coast to coast in one go!

Right now we're in Belgium, taking the ferry from Calais to Dover tomorrow and driving 500 miles up to Edinburgh for a gig Wednesday (among other UK gigs). Not really looking forward to the drive tomorrow, but hopefully it won't be too bad.
That actually sounds great, apart from the cross country run. We've been on family holidays to Vietnam, Macau and Edinburgh, (amongst others) so I can picture those locations well.

My nephew is currently playing drums on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean, so he always sending pictures from Rome, Venice, Dubrovnik, Greek Islands, Ephesus, Nice, Monaco, etc.. Not a bad way to do it, based on a ship for six months.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:14 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: The dusty trail........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cobwebs View Post
Ahhh, good old Mersea Island! My sister lived there for a while. Used to look up the tide times before travelling!
That's the name of it, couldn't think of it for the life of me!

Did another water related strange gig a couple years back at a house built on an island in a river with a river lock one side and a weir the other. The only way in was to carry all the gear across this narrow lock gate bridge thing with a 40 foot drop either side. I didn't understand what a tight grip was until that night.

It's nice to see both ends of the scale here!
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com