DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Where can I get a snare weight?

Yep, anybody can make something like it with a piece of something flat and some tape, but the way it's attached allows it to be put on without sticky crap on the rim. I'd buy one because I don't like tape.
These floppy gate style dampener contraptions whether homemade or bought work well with low tuning.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:39 AM
Administrator

I saw this at a Johnny Raab clinic. This one is only 12.95 Raab Tab

http://www.johnnyrabbdrumsticks.com
Old 01-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

I'm with you, Gruntersdad.

People need to waste less money on gimmicks and just use their own ingenuity a little bit. And let's be honest... There are already a million ways to effectively dampen a drum using stuff you already have.

I'm sorry, but anyone who spends this much money on something to muffle their drum needs their head checked.

As a couple of guys have said, it's the sort of thing your non-drummer partner would buy you for a birthday or something. If you buy one for yourself it's just sad :P
Old 01-08-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwearnohats View Post
I'm with you, Gruntersdad.

People need to waste less money on gimmicks and just use their own ingenuity a little bit. And let's be honest... There are already a million ways to effectively dampen a drum using stuff you already have.

I'm sorry, but anyone who spends this much money on something to muffle their drum needs their head checked.

As a couple of guys have said, it's the sort of thing your non-drummer partner would buy you for a birthday or something. If you buy one for yourself it's just sad :P
Well, I'm not hatlessone. These ideas can be revelations and actually cause improvements to our playing or the act of preparing to play.

Would you call the Kelly SHU a gimmick? I was one of the first people to ever have one. I took a chance because the idea appealed to me. Many, many years later, it is still in my bass drum (many bass drums it seems) and is a flawless piece of gear that really adds value to me and my set-up.

I guess a SHU or a quick release cymbal topper would be a gimmick to you, but to those of us duking it out in the field, the time savings of such 'gimmicks' is exactly what we need to make the teardown process bearable. And if my S.O. knows me well enough to buy a gimmick for me, I will thank her profusely. (see my thread on the DW Tambopedal)
Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Open your wallet, leave the money in it. Take out a business card. Lay it on the snare head. Or lay your wallet on your snare head. Cost, Zero. I don't understand the flocking to an idea just because someone "invents" it and markets it as a drum product. I would rather spend the 20.00 on 2 pair of sticks. I know we all have our opinions on this, but you don't have to be duking it out in the field to know a gimmick when you see one. As for the Kelly SHU, yea it works, but check the DIY section on this forum for mic mounts in bass drums made by members that work as well. Then line up for those new, patented, bearing edges.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post
I just fold up a small white cotton cloth, stick a safety pin through near the side to keep the fold, then just use a sliver of tape through the pin and onto the hoop halfway between two lug positions on the left side.
The great thing about this is that it stays put, stays folded, and hops off the head on every strike. This allows the drum to "open up" and then instantly decay. It's like a built-in noise gate lol.
I love this idea. I'm going to try it - what do I owe you?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Blisco - no, I don't think quick-release cymbal toppers are gimmicks because they offer a significant advantage over traditional wingnuts.

And I can see the SHU having advantages especially in a studio situation when you want to have 100% control over the sound of your kick drum.

But I do not see any advantage to spending money on a lump of brass with a patch of leather attached. Spend your money better elsewhere.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwearnohats View Post
But I do not see any advantage to spending money on a lump of brass with a patch of leather attached. Spend your money better elsewhere.
Unless you want it, but it costs too much I don't understand the need to act as the arbiter of others' frugality any more than having an opinion of how someone takes their tea.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

I can think of worse things to spend money on and it costs wy less than a second Cadillac.

Now, if it's too ligh, you got this. http://www.dwdrums.com/showroom/snar...AME=coll-stone
Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Dragging up an old thread but wanted to share a damping method I recently discovered that is super inexpensive. After watching a video by rdavidr on Youtube, I purchased a giant eraser at the weekend for the princely sum of £2. Similar but not identical to these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JUMBO-ERAS...-/152350836494

It works really well as a dampener and means that my wallet stays safe in my pocket rather than bouncing all over my snare head.

In retrospect I wish I had purchased one that reads "Big Mistakes" as that pretty much sums up my playing at the moment!

Need more practice!

Last edited by Matty1977; 10-09-2017 at 05:13 PM.