DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Things a Drummer would never say:

I am so heavily influenced by these drummers that mime very badly to a backing track - Especially when I'm hearing 16's while they are clearly playing 4's. I so wish I could do that! I also love the invisible fills... These guys are drumming legends!!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksmoor View Post
Sounds like most of the gigs I've done. But without the punk element. In fact, the most recent, unpaid, charity festival gig I played I was in such a rush to get off that I slipped down the stage steps and injured the heel of my bass drum foot. Still played a gig the next day though. A rush to get off because the next band were already on stage and staring at me as if to say, 'Jeez, how much longer is this bloke going to be?'
I had a long conversation about this with the lads a couple of days back.

"Why are you always a bitter C*N* when we do these kinds of gigs" was their question (we are very good friends and it was asked in good grace).

So I explained..."guy's, if all I had to do was hop on stage with my instrument, spend 2 minutes tuning up, play, then hop off stage with my instrument to lap up the adulation of the audience, then I to would probably really enjoy these kinds of gigs"

"Well why don't you" said my mate Nozzer (on the wind up).

...blue touch paper....

"What exactly the F*** do you think I'm doing when you guys are spazzing about with your mates, or the audience, or the sound engineer, etc.??"

Course they know the score. They're good guys. But, still, it's a very clear difference between our experiences of these 'all dayers' and other band members' eh.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:11 PM

That's exactly it. Even with the backline kit these festivals have, you're the last one on stage furiously unscrewing cymbal mounts, dropping them, shoving cymbals in your cymbal bag, unscrewing the hi-hat clutch, dropping it, then throwing the hi-hat cymbals in the bag.

All the while the next drummer's standing next to you. 'Won't be a minute mate,' while struggling to get your snare into a half open case, then, 'F*CK, the pedal!' and trying to pull a half-unscrewed pedal off the bass drum.

I leg it off, carrying my pedal, slip down the stairs, cutting my arm and injuring my heel, and the other muppets in my band are HAVING THEIR PICTURE TAKEN!'
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksmoor View Post
That's exactly it. Even with the backline kit these festivals have, you're the last one on stage furiously unscrewing cymbal mounts, dropping them, shoving cymbals in your cymbal bag, unscrewing the hi-hat clutch, dropping it, then throwing the hi-hat cymbals in the bag.

All the while the next drummer's standing next to you. 'Won't be a minute mate,' while struggling to get your snare into a half open case, then, 'F*CK, the pedal!' and trying to pull a half-unscrewed pedal off the bass drum.

I leg it off, carrying my pedal, slip down the stairs, cutting my arm and injuring my heel, and the other muppets in my band are HAVING THEIR PICTURE TAKEN!'
HAHAHA....yes. Nailed it there.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Jared from Drumeo is on my wife's hall-pass list.
"I'll leave it to the internet to always keep me humble." - Drummer

And let's be serious, there is no way anyone would marry you.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_Falk View Post

Here Kama, I think you'll be needing this.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 09-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

And there's no way you'd try and bring a number of your fans over here to defend you when a thread you're posting in doesn't go your way, right? Right? Or sockpuppet? Right?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Jared, I only picked you because I knew you has skin thick enough to take it. Else I would have risked the 2-week ban and used the joke about Bill Bachman's and Bermuda's hair stylist.....

Which I'm gonna save for a special occasion.

Love ya,
Kama
Old 09-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead Drummer View Post
I'll admit, I have NOT seen the movie. And Probably will not.

I was asked so frequently if I had seen it that it eventually put me off and I got rebellious about it.

I DID see the big drum solo at the end where he starts bleeding... ugh, seriously? Sorry, but if you start bleeding from playing a fast jazz solo you have shit technique. It's just not possible. AND I love seeing someone clearly playing Hi Hats while I hear Ride on the track, or vise versa. The film editor obviously didn't know anything about drums.
Ya gotta view it as entertainment and ignore the fact that you're a drummer. It's a drama, not a documentary about jazz drumming.

If you can do that it's honestly quite an entertaining film.

It's a bit like a pro pool player watching the hustler or me, a total World War 2 nerd watching Saving Private Ryan (wrong tank...wrong uniform....a bullet underwater wouldn't kill him...etc. etc)
Old 09-15-2017, 12:41 PM

What Squad Leader said. I enjoyed Whiplash. And no my hands have never bled after playing the drums for hours. Ever. Sure drummers can pick faults, but then I recently saw a biopic of Chet Baker and I have no idea if Ethan Hawke's fingering (or whatever you call it) was correct.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Ya gotta view it as entertainment and ignore the fact that you're a drummer. It's a drama, not a documentary about jazz drumming.

If you can do that it's honestly quite an entertaining film.

It's a bit like a pro pool player watching the hustler or me, a total World War 2 nerd watching Saving Private Ryan (wrong tank...wrong uniform....a bullet underwater wouldn't kill him...etc. etc)
The terminal ballistics of a 9mm bullet underwater are more likely to kill than anything rifle-calibre, which is likely to fragment.

I'm assuming it's a rifle-calibre round in the film, so probably safe under about a foot of water...
Old 09-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
The terminal ballistics of a 9mm bullet underwater are more likely to kill than anything rifle-calibre, which is likely to fragment.

I'm assuming it's a rifle-calibre round in the film, so probably safe under about a foot of water...
Well that is knowledge I would not assume a drummer to have ! Right on target, sir.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Well that is knowledge I would not assume a drummer to have ! Right on target, sir.
I'm assuming a 5.45 or 5.56 would have the same problem with water given its velocity? I don't know.

Never shot a gun in my life...
Old 09-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
"I think that sould be a minor chord"
I say this pretty regularly when going over my new songs with people. Mind you I was a comp major so I write my songs down using traditional notation. People have a habit of assuming that i won't use the other varieties of tertian chords and play major chords for the root i indicate. Annoying. Almost as bad as getting a string section to groove properly.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
And there's no way you'd try and bring a number of your fans over here to defend you when a thread you're posting in doesn't go your way, right? Right? Or sockpuppet? Right?
Haha! What a blast from the past. I made many stupid mistakes, that was definitely one of them. I had forgotten about it until you reminded me, thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Jared, I only picked you because I knew you has skin thick enough to take it. Else I would have risked the 2-week ban and used the joke about Bill Bachman's and Bermuda's hair stylist.....

Which I'm gonna save for a special occasion.

Love ya,
Kama
You can pick on me anytime, I love it! :-)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
I say this pretty regularly when going over my new songs with people. Mind you I was a comp major so I write my songs down using traditional notation. People have a habit of assuming that i won't use the other varieties of tertian chords and play major chords for the root i indicate. Annoying. Almost as bad as getting a string section to groove properly
Or, "The guitar solo is in Dorian mode, so don't neglect the minor 7th." When I write music, I won't be writing out things like guitar solos, but I will have a specific mode in mind, and will therefore want the notes that represent that particular mode. Dorian is popular, so I've only said that once.

I was a Percussion Arts major, so I had to study/play piano, marimba, bass, and get into music theory, ear training, and composition, among other things.

I wonder if this might be why there are producers out there who are also drummers.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Renegade

I loved Whiplash. Most entertaining.

Sure the characters were crazy, but if everyone in movies was logical and sensible, every movie would just depict people calmly cooperating to fix or accept the problems they faced - no one would watch :)

Something a drummer would never say - the band needs to play a lot more ballads.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I loved Whiplash. Most entertaining.

Sure the characters were crazy, but if everyone in movies was logical and sensible, every movie would just depict people calmly cooperating to fix or accept the problems they faced - no one would watch :)

Something a drummer would never say - the band needs to play a lot more ballads.
I'm with you. Yeah, parts of it aren't realistic, and yeah, at times the music mix is a joke, but - I forgive that. I found it to be super entertaining, while at the same time having lots of great music to listen to. Loved that movie.

Something a drummer would never say: please don't help me pack my drums at the end of the gig, even though the rest of you are done. I've got it - this is the best part.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
the band needs to play a lot more ballads.
I have actually asked if we could at least play one! The compromise was half and half of the slow and fast versions of Don't Believe A Word.

Something a drummer would never say - of course I don't mind helping you carry your equipment so you can leave earlier than me.

I was actually asked that once!

www.facebook.com/falseidolsband
Old 09-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
Or, "The guitar solo is in Dorian mode, so don't neglect the minor 7th." When I write music, I won't be writing out things like guitar solos, but I will have a specific mode in mind, and will therefore want the notes that represent that particular mode. Dorian is popular, so I've only said that once.

I was a Percussion Arts major, so I had to study/play piano, marimba, bass, and get into music theory, ear training, and composition, among other things.

I wonder if this might be why there are producers out there who are also drummers.
Chicken and egg situation there. A vast majority of today's popular music is built around drum beats as the primary impetus of musical expression/structure. Drummers would be naturally inclined to write in such a manner. Many drummers then end up as producers of beat centric music which other drummers hear and enjoy and think they could write something in that vein then starts the cycle over again.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Chicken and egg situation there. A vast majority of today's popular music is built around drum beats as the primary impetus of musical expression/structure. Drummers would be naturally inclined to write in such a manner. Many drummers then end up as producers of beat centric music which other drummers hear and enjoy and think they could write something in that vein then starts the cycle over again.
Hence the music by drummers for drummers trend, which tend to be overdrummed as hell and lacking musical appeal. Apart from a few exception, often translates into pure mental mastur******.

A drummer never says : sure, let's turn the ending of every song that fades out on the record into a never ending improvised guitar solo !

Edit : many drummers do write some great music, but usually not when the media is mostly used to showcase their chops.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Davis View Post
Oh, there are another 4 bands playing before us at the same festival and the young thrash and metal drummers have asked if they can use my kit?

Me: No problem at all... I'm happy to get their extra early! Tell them they don't even need to bring their cymbals and snare as I'm more than happy for them to use mine! Come to think of it, if any of them have specific set up and tuning requirements, they can go right ahead and do what they need to do!
hahaha.. I did a benefit concert for 9/11 right after the attacks and this very same scenario was delt to me.. lol as a metal drummer myself, I prefer to break my own gear..
Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Last time I played before my hiatis, We did a benefit concert free, but the bands in the list all agreed to have a stage crew to help the band setup and tear down based on respective direction from the band. 1 guy to help the drummer, 1 guy to help the guitar , 1 for bass and when one finishes up they help other until they are cleard out for next band.. it was more like 25 minutes between bands but it gave people time to piss, refill their beer , smoke a bone or 2 , make a quik call etc then back at it with fresh band.. when we were invited or headlining a benefit we always contacted the other bands and figured keep it limited to like 5 bands to get variety and allow the bands enough time to setup how they like to give the best performance and be happy and confident and not rushed..
Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

The monitor's too loud.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
"Be sure to buy any drum equipment that has the word 'Pro' in the name. If it says 'Pro,' then it's really professional quality."
Yes! That's the one thing that annoys me about my Sonor S-Class Pro's. I think they are meant to be really good drums, on par with Delites? Either way are really nice. Just unfortunate that they have the word "Pro" in the name.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe with today's "popular" music. That "Cash me outside" girl from Dr. Phil just got signed to Atlantic Records. They call it music.

I've never been accused of writing anything popular or beat-driven. Definitely not popular.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:30 PM

I should clarify. When you mentioned something being "built around beats," my first thought was "oonce-oonce-oonce-oonce," set-it-and-forget-it EDM.

There are drummers out there who can write for a variety of instruments, in ranges for the treble, bass, tenor, and alto clef. I've never considered that to be an ability that is external to drumming.

I'll show myself the door on this one.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I should clarify. When you mentioned something being "built around beats," my first thought was "oonce-oonce-oonce-oonce," set-it-and-forget-it EDM.

There are drummers out there who can write for a variety of instruments, in ranges for the treble, bass, tenor, and alto clef. I've never considered that to be an ability that is external to drumming.

I'll show myself the door on this one.
No need. Composition is the realm where all the other branches of music study come together. It's hard to separate things out. That set and forget EDM beat is probably the most simplistic version of what i was referring to but it is equally true of many songs that feature more complex beats and even (shockingly) songs that feature real drums. It's a byproduct of the production first writing technique that has been in vogue for the last 15-20 years or so.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Maybe with today's "popular" music. That "Cash me outside" girl from Dr. Phil just got signed to Atlantic Records. They call it music.

I've never been accused of writing anything popular or beat-driven. Definitely not popular.
What record companies do is usually more business driven than music driven. As a drummer and composer i think that i naturally write with rhythm in mind first. I would suspect that you have written some stuff that is beat driven just by virtue of being a fellow drummer. Popular is obviously up to the listeners. For all i know this Cash Me Outside person could have actual talent. She is certainly young enough to develop well if she applies herself to the craft. I don't think she has up to now based on the one video clip i have seen but youth should be encouraged to improve and stick with it. They call it music because it is music. Just because it's objectively terrible doesn't make it not music.