DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:40 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default And I'm in a band again!

Thanks to Bermuda for asking me to sub for him a few years ago in one of his local rock n roll bands. Through friends of friends seeing me out there slugging it out with those guys, it has led to being asked to be a permanent member of another band. This is so true of how it works out there: people have to see you in real situations before they even think they might need a sub. So a big thanks to Bermuda for taking that chance - because I wouldn't have met the people he plays with, and in turn, filling in for him so much, other people saw me, and then somebody asked me to sub for their missing drummer, and so on, and so on....

So the details: the band that opened a spot for me first heard me as I subbed in as their drummer for a few gigs. Apparently they liked me so much, they decided to create a percussionist spot that I could fill, and then when their regular drummer can't make it, I would slide into the drum set spot. In a way, it's like pulling double duty since on the one hand I'll be handling congas, tambourine, shakers, maybe background vocals, and then on the other hand, being the drumset glue under the band when they need that.

I'm partly excited about the percussion spot, but partly nervous as it has been years since I was a dedicated conguero. I haven't owned any congas for a long time and it was exciting going shopping, but a bit of trepidation as I need to bring up those chops again (shouldn't be hard mentally, just physically on my hands).

And you know what? Real actual congas are expensive. I decided I wanted to do it right, so no Guitar Center specials or budget conga lines. If you go shopping for Classic LP congas, individual drums can run from $499 and up! And I wanted three to start (quint, conga, and tumbadora). I got creative and found a guy on a music sales site who had a slightly used LP Classic conga for $200. Then I found another guy with a LP Classic tumba for $300 - luckily they were in the same color. That definitely beats spending over $1000 on a set of two. I'll add the smaller quinto later, since this isn't a real salsa band (think of me as the additional percussionist in Chicago). I am a big fan of the Remo Skin-deep conga heads, so that's another investment I'll make when they drums arrive.

First gig is coming up October 7th and again on the 14th. So I'll have a couple of weeks to buckle in my percussion chops!

And that's how you get into a working band. For me, anyway. Thanks Bermuda!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Re: And I'm in a band again!

Awesome, congrats! That sounds like a fun gig.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Congratulations on the gig, but I guarantee you'll sell those congas within the month, & snag a set of Manitos ;)
What the heck are Manitos?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:38 AM
Renegade

Nice to see you settle down, Matt, after all after that gallivanting around with different artists, with seemingly a new drum kit in every port!

Seriously, hand percussion is wickedly hard on the hands, a fact I was reminded of after doing some percussion spots with a band I used to drum with. Drumming is a much gentler art but it's great having the freedom to flit about adding spice rather than always being the stodgy carbs :)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

You finally get your concert toms. Soon you'll have a rig like Gary Wallis on Pulse.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
You finally get your concert toms. Soon you'll have a rig like Gary Wallis on Pulse.
That's a name I haven't thought about for a while. I had lessons with Gary Wallis many moons ago when I was young and foolish.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a good deal Bo. I assumed that you were in a band as good as you play. Enjoy both of your band duties. Congrats.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Very cool! I like to dink around with a lot of other types of drums (congas, djembe, bongos, cajon). I'm not "good" at any of them, but I like the different sounds and approaches to playing. It would kinda be my dream gig to be play in a situation were I could trade off the kit for a variety of other percussion instruments. Sounds like you now have that dream gig.
Congrats Bo!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

That's awesome, Bo! Sounds like a fun gig.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats Bo! Sounds like your playing inspired confidence in them to know you can deliver the goods. And sometimes being able to sing makes you the better candidate.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:17 PM

I, too, was amazed that you weren't in a band currently....congratulations!

I've often thought that doing what you're doing, percussionist some, drums some, would be a lot of fun. I've only messed around with the percussion stuff, but I always enjoy it. And I know what you mean about the hands! I did a small gig on a cajon with a friend, and my hands definitely let me know it by the end of the night!

Very cool stuff, I look forward to reading more about your new adventures. (And new gear!)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Ah! That guy is like the Guru of hand drums! Very cool. But the question is whether or not Remo makes heads ready to fit his drums. I was sold on the Remo Fiberskyn conga heads years ago (calf hide heads are way too hard on my hands) - so I'll stick with drums that are good enough for Giovanni Hidalgo (the undisputed Master Conguero).

Besides, Manitos would just make me look like I really know what I'm doing!
Old 09-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
I, too, was amazed that you weren't in a band currently....congratulations!

I've often thought that doing what you're doing, percussionist some, drums some, would be a lot of fun. I've only messed around with the percussion stuff, but I always enjoy it. And I know what you mean about the hands! I did a small gig on a cajon with a friend, and my hands definitely let me know it by the end of the night!

Very cool stuff, I look forward to reading more about your new adventures. (And new gear!)
Sorry for the let down, but my normal work schedule makes it hard for me to commit all the time. It's easier for me to sub into bands. It also cuts out a lot of that band drama I hear here on this forum. There's always money involved so I just have to show up, be good for the time I'm there, get the cash then go home. I don't have to worry about the lead singer hitting on me, or attending band meetings, either. I guess I like the hired gun aspect.

Maybe being in this band as a member will be good for me ;)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

I'm taking bets on how many sets of congas Matt will buy in the next 6 month period. 5 to 1 on zero or just one set.

Alternate bets of how many different brands/builders in the same time period.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

I get the excited/nervous emotions your having.

But dayum man.... what an opportunity. I'm envious.

I've always admired folks like Ray Cooper for Elton John
and the various musicians 'filling' the sound for acts like Pink Floyd and Santana.

https://youtu.be/eihkfhJQ648
Old 09-14-2017, 07:36 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'm taking bets on how many sets of congas Matt will buy in the next 6 month period. 5 to 1 on zero or just one set.

Alternate bets of how many different brands/builders in the same time period.
Well, here in L.A., there's only three serious brands I see the congueros play - LP, Gon Bops, and Valje. The last two being more expensive. I'd include Remo in there if I didn't have a lug totally rip out of one conga several years ago. I may do the unthinkable and actually keep these because I'll eventually add a quinto to it, and the availability of the Remo heads is also a factor.

Although I've changed out drumsets a lot, I've always gone back to your basic maple shell built well to last. I thought I'd just start out (again) with basic solid congas that are built to last too - so I'll probably stay with these for a bit.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 PM

Nice. Congratulations, Bo! Even though I'm primarily a drum kit player I also play percussion in various bands and really enjoy it. Especially when I'm playing along side a very good drummer.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Well, here in L.A., there's only three serious brands I see the congueros play - LP, Gon Bops, and Valje. The last two being more expensive. I'd include Remo in there if I didn't have a lug totally rip out of one conga several years ago. I may do the unthinkable and actually keep these because I'll eventually add a quinto to it, and the availability of the Remo heads is also a factor.

Although I've changed out drumsets a lot, I've always gone back to your basic maple shell built well to last. I thought I'd just start out (again) with basic solid congas that are built to last too - so I'll probably stay with these for a bit.
Just razzing ya. Congrats on the new band by the way. New bands are like new relationships and it's great to be playing fresh stuff with new people.

I somehow feel like I wouldn't be nearly as good at dedicated percussion as drumset so hats off that you go back and forth so easily. I might be able to fake it for a bit, but don't really know much about how to properly fill that role.

Do you feel any weirdness from the regular drummer or does he seem welcoming?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Just razzing ya. Congrats on the new band by the way. New bands are like new relationships and it's great to be playing fresh stuff with new people.

I somehow feel like I wouldn't be nearly as good at dedicated percussion as drumset so hats off that you go back and forth so easily. I might be able to fake it for a bit, but don't really know much about how to properly fill that role.

Do you feel any weirdness from the regular drummer or does he seem welcoming?
No. He and I are friends and he asked me in to sub when he couldn't do a few dates they had last year. We're both Disney guys but he's also a music educator teaching in Anaheim. That's why I thank Bermuda - I'm subbing for Bermuda at a restaurant by the beach, and in walks this guy who was doing a gig at another restaurant right across the street. He knows I play, but you don't really know until they're able to see you in action.

He and I are supposed to get together to figure where to put percussion in the charts after the 23rd of this month since the band only rehearses once a month.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Hey that's great Bo.

Life is just better when you're in a band :)
Old 09-15-2017, 01:45 AM
Gold Member

Thats awesome man.. i always find the percussionist more interesting than the drummer anyway :) plus you get to practice more instruments.. which is good.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:34 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
Thats awesome man.. i always find the percussionist more interesting than the drummer anyway :) plus you get to practice more instruments.. which is good.
I'm secretly hoping the singer doesn't mind me singing along with her. But I can understand it might be a little weird to hear harmonized vocals through entire songs ;)