DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Default HOW TO BE THE WORST MUSICIAN

https://worshipartistry.com/greenroo...-musician-ever
Old 09-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: HOW TO BE THE WORST MUSICIAN

I guess someone else is as frustrated as I've been. Printing it up and placing in strategic places for tomorrow's performance. :)
Old 09-10-2017, 05:29 AM
The SunDog

Things not to do regardless of faith? Good advice for sure, even if you don't believe in God. Don't do this, that or the other "at a service"? Some of us don't believe, but thanks just the same. Possible next thread: "What atheist drummers should and or shouldn't do at a gig"? Can we add to this doing volunteer work and calling yourself a pro? Or perhaps maybe not bringing God into the conversation on a forum about drums?

Last edited by The SunDog; 09-10-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Seriously Mr Dog?

The only person bringing god into the conversation is you.

The fact that the article is aimed at worship musicians is utterly irrelevant.

This is why we can't have nice things!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

I think almost every musician knows all of the above, from one to ten, they are a given. Sadly we also know musicians who still demonstrate at least one of them, despite there age and experience. Ego is a jealous mistress.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Seriously Mr Dog?

The only person bringing god into the conversation is you.

The fact that the article is aimed at worship musicians is utterly irrelevant.

Thanks......I was thinking the same thing! Saw this come up in the "prayers" comment about Hurricane Irma; pray if you are inclined to do so. If you don't, your preference......no sense in making a huge deal out of it!
Old 09-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

So true.

I mean, at some point believer or non-believer, no need to get one's panties all in a bunch.

If real problems ever arise, and you have already played the panty card you are straight out of options.

I keep my underwear clean and all ironed-out and when shit hits the fan for real I can really get my workout, say when people walk on my lawn or those damned kindergarteners riding their bicycle on the sidewalk.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
So true.

I mean, at some point believer or non-believer, no need to get one's panties all in a bunch.

If real problems ever arise, and you have already played the panty card you are straight out of options.

I keep my underwear clean and all ironed-out and when shit hits the fan for real I can really get my workout, say when people walk on my lawn or those damned kindergarteners riding their bicycle on the sidewalk.

Pardon???? I have no idea what this post is on about.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Pardon???? I have no idea what this post is on about.
Exactly. You certainly don't. You thought you did, but now you wish you actually did, didn't you. Bet you didn't see that coming, with all the discussion about beliefs and underwear and kindergardeners. Worst musicians? Worship musicians? Worstship musicians? I'll let you decide, if you want. And if you don't, you already did, so I win anyway.

Hey, making cryptic posts is fun :P
Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Musicians "noodling" between songs during practice is awful. Geez. I've been in a dozen or so bands (at least) over the past 20 years or so, and I swear, EVERY BAND has had at least ONE guitar player who WON'T. STOP. PLAYING. What's bad now is that my church now uses an Aviom system, and the guitar players and keyboard player are in my ears/head now. Granted, I can cut them down between songs, but I shouldn't have to reset levels because they can't keep their hands off of their instruments.

I know of one drummer who does the same thing, and drummers noodling are the worst simply because of volume. I learned early on not to because I feel that it's disrespectful. I don't think this guy has ever really played in a band before.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Musicians "noodling" between songs during practice is awful.
I'd be happy if our guitarist would do that only during practice. But he even does it during gigs, like noodling the main riff of a song before the song starts, etc. In fact, he does all points from 4 to 10 mentioned in the article.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:25 PM

To me, this comes down to not being professional in a professional situation, and subsequently not living up to the requirements.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac View Post
I'd be happy if our guitarist would do that only during practice. But he even does it during gigs, like noodling the main riff of a song before the song starts, etc.
When playing live at church, our sets are so tightly knit together there's not time for "noodling" around. More times than not, the track starts rolling for the next song before the previous one is over. In the band that I play live with, the guys are usually too busy tuning between every song to do much noodling around. :P
Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 PM

When I go to band practice we noodle.. usually the guitar player starts it and then I'll start playing along with him and then so will the bassist. So it's like a group noodling session.. is that bad? Everyone seems to enjoy it.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
When I go to band practice we noodle.. usually the guitar player starts it and then I'll start playing along with him and then so will the bassist. So it's like a group noodling session.. is that bad? Everyone seems to enjoy it.
It's only bad if the person paying for the space does not mind.

Plus, if it's noodling around, then it's not really band practice. The same is true when I'm sitting with an instrument by myself. If I'm noodling around, then I'm not practicing.

But I suppose you could have these sessions on occasion where people are throwing ideas out there. If you can capture these ideas and turn some of them into songs, that would be a good thing.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
It sounds like you mean jamming, sorta. In my experience the noodling complaint is usually directed at folks who futz with their instrument while others are talking. Like hey since you guys are working on something, I'll just make some needless noise over here. It's pretty rude, it sorta says whatever your mates are talking about is unimportant, that sorta thing.

BTW, I'm an atheist, but was completely unharmed by the article despite its churchy nature. Man we're all so touchy these days. And you've gotta give the church groups props for bringing their musical game to a much higher level than it used to be.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

The list left out a very important one:

The drummer's time is the right time. If you think s/he's off, pretend it's you and adjust.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac View Post
Exactly. You certainly don't. You thought you did, but now you wish you actually did, didn't you. Bet you didn't see that coming, with all the discussion about beliefs and underwear and kindergardeners. Worst musicians? Worship musicians? Worstship musicians? I'll let you decide, if you want. And if you don't, you already did, so I win anyway.

Hey, making cryptic posts is fun :P

Only when its clever.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:35 AM
Gold Member

Definitely this fella.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2017, 03:35 AM
Gold Member

Ah, musician. I see where I went wrong.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

The noodling has hit a nerve!
Very annoying when the band has worked up a new song for the set and are hoping it'll go down a bomb with the regular audience.....and then one of the guitarists keeps playing the riff well before the song is due to be played and any element of surprise is gone. Whether he's teasing, can't remember how to play it and is trying to remind himself, or if he's doing it because it's all about him (most likely) is irrelevant. Surprise gone, moment spoiled.
And then the guy who keeps on playing, often the bit he got wrong during the song to prove to himself that he CAN do it, often with a disgusted look on his face. All the work in rehearsal working up that tight ending to impress the audience gone as the song tails away with a whimper as opposed to a bang.
And has anyone mentioned the person who plays at high volume during soundcheck thus making the job unnecessarily more difficult for everyone and causing even the most mild mannered of people to be in danger of losing their temper?