DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:17 AM

Default I need inspiration - quick!

I've been watching these linear drummers for so long now (Aaron Spears and that whole wave) that I just realized 90% of the fills I'm doing live have subconsciously been some random linear combo.

I don't like that. I need to bring back more diversity and get some of that out of my head.

Please recommend any channels/drummers with online videos I can just set/forget on my playlist and absorb through osmosis.

Sorry. Not being coherent, pissed at myself for getting in this state.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:21 AM

Default Re: I need inspiration - quick!

Bernard Purdie - Brilliant, entertaining, fun to watch, spectacular talent and holy sh*t those ghost notes!

— Buddy Rich
Old 09-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.drummerworld.com/
Old 09-09-2017, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

That's funny.

I wish I could do more linear fills. Let's trade brains for a while.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Please explain linear fills in layman's terms......like you were talking to a guitarist :)
Old 09-09-2017, 04:22 AM
Gold Member

Stanton Moore is a good sort of anti-linear drummer -- has a lot of stuff going on at once.

I think the opposite of linear grooves/fills are called stacked grooves/fills -- at least I heard that from someone. Basically playing multiple rhythms on each limb that overlap, or even double each other. It can seem sometimes with these kinds of grooves like more than one person is playing. Super cool. Really hard to keep clean.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Please explain linear fills in layman's terms......like you were talking to a guitarist :)
haha... basically any Youtube video by Gospel Chops wizards like Tony Royster Jr. or Marcus Thomas, pretty much 100% of their fills are linear. Not to knock them, they kill that style.

I like the Stanton and Purdie suggestions, thanks guys... the only problem is I'm finding more groove/clinic work by them, I might need an example of a good album by either that shows what they do in the context of music? Purdie was absolute tasty though, so loading him in the playlist!
Old 09-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

[quote=jdhardrummer;1522372
I like the Stanton and Purdie suggestions, thanks guys... the only problem is I'm finding more groove/clinic work by them, I might need an example of a good album by either that shows what they do in the context of music? Purdie was absolute tasty though, so loading him in the playlist![/QUOTE]

Cane go wrong with anything from Purdie.

Some of my favorites from Stanton.
https://youtu.be/eekPnWp8dJ8 (perfect example of 'stacked' grooving. Can be applied in any context where you need a high energy pocket. )
https://youtu.be/aAJtmDQBvF8 (Take it to the street album)
https://youtu.be/CKK7ezn2tig (groove alchemy radio session, better than the album, but the album is good, some different application of linear ideas here too.)
The Stanton Moore Trio album III is fantastic.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhardrummer View Post

I like the Stanton and Purdie suggestions, thanks guys... the only problem is I'm finding more groove/clinic work by them, I might need an example of a good album by either that shows what they do in the context of music? Purdie was absolute tasty though, so loading him in the playlist!
I'm a HUGE fan of this album which features some extremely tasty funky playing from Mr. Purdie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeJ-a1e_pHQ

For some more examples of stacked grooves, David Sandström from Refused does some great "stacked" grooves (I think they're also called unison) in his playing. In general, David's fills are very unique sounding; very mighty feel and unconventional for a punk band at all. I think he very rarely does linear fills.

Intro and around 3:57 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJa3eUczYaM

This is an amazing album with really potent drumming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHhe6ziuo3k
Old 09-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

First thing to do is find your favorite song to play drums to. Then play the whole song from start to finish without doing any fills. Play straight 2&4 all the way through. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Then play it again and only do 1/4 note fills. Simple accent fills. Then play it with only eight note fills.

Do this with your whole set list. Then try this when you play live. Play a song live without any fills. I dare you.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:14 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
One note at a time. No notes at the same time as anything else. Except perhaps quarters on the hi hat. Bonham triplets is a linear fill.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Step 1 is to actually listen. What will happen through "osmosis" is nothing or very little. I would be looking up some 70s-80s players who do something similar to what you already know, but who are not full-on amazing-internet types, say, Harvey Mason, Ndugu Leon Chancler, Steve Gadd, Idris Muhammad. Brazilian drummers Airto, Robertinho Silva, and Ivan Conti are also worth looking into for this. Look up their discographies on discogs or allmusic and find some records they play on.