DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 PM

Default Tom intervals

Hello...first post, so please go easy on me.

I have a Premier APK Club Ace 20 kit.

10 x 6.5 tom
12 x 9 tom
13 x 11 floor tom
20 x 12 kick
13 x 5.5 snare

I have a few questions.

1. What techniques do some of you use to begin tuning toms with new batter and reso heads. I've watched countless vids, but there are so many opinions. Do I need to tune top to what I like..and then go from there? Or based on my next question...pick a note? If I pick a note are there specific frequencies I need to use based on my specific toms?

2. I want to tune my toms in intervals of either major thirds apart or perfect 5ths. Which would you recommend since they're 10, 12 and 13 and are shorter club drums.

3. How would you tune your snare in relation to those? Or does it matter.

Last edited by dpgreek; 09-02-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tom intervals

There are detailed articles and threads on this, but a short summary based on my similar kits to yours:

I find my toms have a narrow range where they really resonate. Above or below this they sound dead and hard to hear on stage. So it's trial and error to find the spot where the sound suddenly lifts. I prefer the Reso head a minor 3rd above the batter head.

My toms end up 3rds or 4ths apart - not really intentionally, that's just where they seem to sit. If they're a 4th apart, they don't interfere with the next door Reso tuned a minor 3rd up.

I have used a tune-bot app, but ultimately tune by feel and response. When I get a great sound from a tom I write the lug pitches on the top head eg D/F so I can check it and return to it when I change heads.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the response. I've read a ton of threads and such and I think you're right...ultimately, it's up to the drum and feel. I had reached out on a youtube link to Kenny Sharrett (drum tech) and he recommended some intervals that seemed to work. I spent all day tuning and listening yesterday. Good practice really...I ended up getting my 10 x 6.5 to G#, 12 x 9 to F and then 13 x 11 to C#. I tuned resos up a major third. Sounds pretty good. But, being shallower club drums...they sound verrrrryyy slightly boingy. I think a moon gel would make em sound good.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:00 PM

Short answer... mine are in C#(10") A(12") E(14") c#(16")
No moongels on my toms whatesoever. Only 2 on the snare and 2 on the hi hats (too loud)