DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Default How is this possible?

The most amazing inner clock this guy appears to have. Obviously there are people with an excellent sense of time. But to clap random tempos without hearing them played first, to this sort of precision, neither a single bpm too slow or fast, is inhuman. Or am I just being a mug and it's fake? :p I'm now thinking that someone behind the camera is showing another metronome to him.

https://youtu.be/DqoNVuxFCWA

Last edited by Merlin5; 08-29-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 AM

Default Re: How is this possible?

I used the "liveBPM" app to randomly check a few of his claps, so my check is based on the integrity of the app.

The 100bpm seems to speed up, and comes out at around 103.85bpm near the end.

His 140bpm came out around 134-138bpm

His 160bpm was around 81bpm, so the app probably thought he was doing 8th notes.

His 250bpm registered at around 119-121bpm, do similar issue to the previous one.

If the app is correct, then he's not perfect, but he's definitely "close enough for disco," as we used to say in the olden days.

I'm going to test myself, by using a trick that Bermuda taught me, which is to think of a specific song that has a specific tempo and attempt to tap that out. I tapped "Feel Good, Inc." by The Gorillaz, without looking at the app, expecting 150bpm. I registered 152bpm. Not exactly scientific, so feel free to question or even dismiss my anecdotal results.

Is it possible to be perfect? Given that humans are not perfect, I have my doubts. I do think it's possible to get very close and to remain somewhat steady.

EDIT: Yes, he could be getting an assist from off-camera.

Last edited by DrumWild; 08-29-2017 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

Interesting exercise with liveBPM, DrumWild. I've been meaning to download that app.
I just put a metronome to it and yes it never completely stays in sync, so you're right, there is fluctuation. Although all the tempos are extremely close including 160 and 250. It's just that when I watched the flashing light on his nome, it looked as though the claps were consistent with each flash.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:37 AM

I know that the camera never lies, because I've seen "Jurassic Park." It's good to question some of these things.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Lol.

Actually, he might or might not be getting help off camera. He might even have a form of autism. There are autistic savants who have incredible abilities such as this. I've seen a savant listen to a few seconds of a classical piece of music he'd never heard before, then immediately play it on the piano, perfectly.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
Lol.

Actually, he might or might not be getting help off camera. He might even have a form of autism. There are autistic savants who have incredible abilities such as this. I've seen a savant listen to a few seconds of a classical piece of music he'd never heard before, then immediately play it on the piano, perfectly.
I've seen some incredible instances of this.

Blind Tom: The Last Legal Slave

Derek Paravicini

Both musical geniuses, beyond the reach of the average musician.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:40 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Certainly could have been rigged, we don't know how truly random the tempos are. It would be easy enough to let the subject know what tempos would be called out, and to play him songs at that tempo, so he can recall them in his head. Then someone with cue cards with the names of the songs can prompt both him and the examiner.

If you're familiar enough with a song, it's easy to 'play it' in your head, and reproduce the approximate tempo. If you're doing it right, you can also hear it in the correct key! :)

I have several songs in my brain that allow me to call up various tempos on a few seconds' notice, and always within a few bpm.

Need 125? That's Ticket To Ride
74? Hotel California
105? We Can Work It Out

and more.

Obviously it's important to be extremely familiar with the songs. I have several songs with Al that I've played ad nauseum to a click, so I know some odd tempos like 129.5, 119.3, etc. :)

Bermuda
Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Certainly could have been rigged, we don't know how truly random the tempos are. It would be easy enough to let the subject know what tempos would be called out, and to play him songs at that tempo, so he can recall them in his head. Then someone with cue cards with the names of the songs can prompt both him and the examiner.
All you'd need is another metronome app on a different phone muted so he could just see the light. Then it's just up to the guy holding the camera to hit the button on his accented clap. They'd sync up and it would look magic.

Dunno, I didn't really examine it. Would be easy to fake though.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

My opinion too, its rigged, clapper is looking at another metronome probably.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe it's rigged, but it seems like relative bpm. If you know a few songs by bpm you can extrapolate just about any variation relative to that tempo.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member

I do something similar to what Bermuda does. When I play with a band I take their set list and write Beatle songs behind each song that I'm supposed to count in.
It gives me the BPM instantly when I think of the song.

Last edited by Hollywood Jim; 08-29-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

He's always looking at the same spot when he's clapping, and he has to alter his tempo on a couple of them because he gets off from the visual metronome they're using to give him the tempo. It's bullcrap.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
Lol.

We had an autistic musical and mathematical genius like this at a school I oncetaught at. He came into class one day in 9th Grade and played a Mozart piano sonata on the piano, by memory. We asked where was the printed music, but he had no music, "It was on the radio" - he listened to the piece once on the way to school, memorized it, then sat down at the piano and played it.

Ironically, Mozart himself had this ability at quite a young age.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:54 AM

His 180bpm was all over the shop. No harm, it's something anyone can approximate, and that's all this video is, an approximation. You can even hear him slipping out of time with the metronome at 180.

It's like if someone asked you to really focus and tap the tempo of each song on your favourite album, one by one. Could you do it? Same thing. In the right environment and frame of mind, people can recall pitch and tempo perfectly.