DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

Default The Other Reason For Drum Mats

Whenever possible I don't carry my drum mat to a gig, I own a car as opposed to a van or an estate car so it's nice when I can pack all of my gear without having to fold seats down and leave the inevitable wood chippings stuck in the boot mat.
This Friday and Saturday I'm playing consecutive gigs and I know that I don't need my mat. The pub on Friday has a stage with nylon carpeting which is ideal. The pub on Saturday also has a stage and also has a similiar carpet down, however despite it being a nightmare load in and out I will take my mat to this gig. Because it's the filthiest stickiest carpet and I'd rather not let the feet of my stands touch it!!
So there you have it, a mat isn't just for a wood or tiled floor, it's a barrier between dirt and gear. And FYI I roll my mat with the pile outwards so as to avoid transferring the filth onto my car seats.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Other Reason For Drum Mats

The carpet is always folded up in the boot as I don't know what I'm playing on until I get there. I have an estate which makes life a bit easier.

Plus when we play the posh venues it saves ruining their carpets/flooring and in turn saves my hearing.

Mess in the motor is a nightmare especially when you get a marquee gig in a fresh cut field or a soggy one and there's grass every where for days!

Next on the shopping list is a little hoover for sawdust and other assorted crap.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
The carpet is always folded up in the boot as I don't know what I'm playing on until I get there. I have an estate which makes life a bit easier.

Plus when we play the posh venues it saves ruining their carpets/flooring and in turn saves my hearing.

Mess in the motor is a nightmare especially when you get a marquee gig in a fresh cut field or a soggy one and there's grass every where for days!

Next on the shopping list is a little hoover for sawdust and other assorted crap.
Yep, the ideal solution would be two small mats, one for bass drum and snare, one for hi hat, that I could lay down flat in the boot. But the problem with solutions like that is that they're often more fiddly and time taking than just using a full size mat. That's why I prefer seperate cymbal stands to multi clamps.
Re the little Hoover, I saw some handheld Dyson-a-like ones in Aldi the other day for about 50 iirc. If they're anywhere near as good as Aldis gin/pear cider/tonic/Bluetooth headphones then they'll be worth a punt.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

I use tape to show where everything goes. That saves me time. plus it tends to stake out my space on the stage so I have enough room.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I use tape to show where everything goes. That saves me time. plus it tends to stake out my space on the stage so I have enough room.
Same here. I like how the rug feels under my feet & how it keeps everything in place. One never knows what the venue will have, so it's best to always bring your own stuff.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 PM

I ALWAYS bring my Kaces Crash Pad to every gig. I don't care if I've played the venue a dozen times... the crash pad always goes down first. 👍
Old 08-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

My mat folds neatly into quarters and lives permanently in the bottom of my car boot. When I open it up there are slight creases from the folds. They flatten and disappear after a few minutes.

I don't mark the carpet because I rotate three different sized kits for three different bands.

I agree dry grass is bad.

Hot concrete outdoors might be another reason for the rug - to insulate from heat!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:03 PM

I had a show last saturday where I had to set up my kit on gravel (as in rock fragments) and I forgot to bring my mat. I don't actually have a proper drum mat but a carpet that is a bit too large, so I rarely bring it.

Anyway, our keyboardist had a thick blanket in his car and said I could use it. It worked, although you could still feel the gravel below. But for most kinds of floors, I'm sure a blanket would work just as well as a mat, but it can be folded and stored along with the bass drum in its bag or case. That's what I plan to use from now on.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolwich View Post
And FYI I roll my mat with the pile outwards so as to avoid transferring the filth onto my car seats.
You do realize that regardless which way you roll the mat, the filthy underside ends up touching the pile anyway... :O
Old 08-23-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
Same here, somewhat. I only tape mark where my pedals go. (single bass drum and hi-hat.) Once I set them, everything else falls into place, making for a much easier set-up. I used to mark EVERYTHING....cymbal stand feet, floor tom legs, etc...But I realized that I occasionally have to move something slightly, therefore throwing everything else off.

And I also bring a mat because of the nastiness factor. Most venues are disgusting. Yes, my mat has had beer spilled on it....but it's been MY beer.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:48 PM

My gig rug is 25 years old and hundreds upon hundreds of gigs on it. I vacuum it once a month and I've shampoo'd it a few times. Best is to take it to a pressure car wash and blast it clean. I can't even begin to count the spills...

A good rug/mat is critical regardless of the floor you set up on.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Need to have two gig rugs, the posh place gig rug, for clean places where no one sits in on your kit, and the outdoors dirty place rug, where someone will ultimately spill a drink on it and you might be setting up on a dirty floor.

When the dirty gig rug gets too dirty, trash it and rotate the other one.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:52 AM

I'm using a rubber mat that always stays folded in my hardware bag. I usually put it last on the top of my hardware before I zip-up the bag.