DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Another One (Retailer) Bites the Dust

First is was digital downloading that killed off our beloved record shops(now where do we hang out to discover new music ?) Now, where do we have a tactile shoping experiance to try out new gear? In the words of Nigel tufnel..."nowhere"

Reality is: It's YOU, the average (now complaining)consumer that has driven the small shops away. By choosing to shop online and support the main chains. YOU... have lost our most precious (instruments) by, buying cheap imported(it's just like a black beauty...right?)items. It is YOU that have cheapened the industry.... by YOUR cheapness quest of getting something for the lowest possible price and expecting the greatest outcome. Great! Now you can complain about it on here, via your shiny new $1,000 iPhone.

When will we learn ???
Old 08-23-2017, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
And as everyone knows, many other b&m businesses are facing the same quandaries. The writing is on the wall, the old way...the death knell has tolled, it's on it's way out, and the future is on it's way in. There's no real stopping it, businesses are being forced to adapt.
Not just these, but as the other piracy thread will show, the internet is changing business for almost everyone. It's such a huge force for the end consumers to be able to exchange information and search information so fast and freely.

I wonder if "stores" will just be warehouses in the future, maybe with tiny showrooms for demo things when the odd customer comes in? It's indeed very sad for the dedicated proprietors, but are we willing to give up our new power and freedom so they can make more profit? Not likely.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Kauff View Post
First is was digital downloading that killed off our beloved record shops(now where do we hang out to discover new music ?) Now, where do we have a tactile shoping experiance to try out new gear? In the words of Nigel tufnel..."nowhere"

Reality is: It's YOU, the average (now complaining)consumer that has driven the small shops away. By choosing to shop online and support the main chains. YOU... have lost our most precious (instruments) by, buying cheap imported(it's just like a black beauty...right?)items. It is YOU that have cheapened the industry.... by YOUR cheapness quest of getting something for the lowest possible price and expecting the greatest outcome. Great! Now you can complain about it on here, via your shiny new $1,000 iPhone.

When will we learn ???
Bang On! It is something i have argued here as well at times. pretty much got shot down. International Shipping has also changed the game. If i buy from OS i always try to buy from a B&M store that does online as well. Or maybe just some person trying sell a kit. I stay away from the Conglomerate type situations. It is still a good idea to deal with the store owner in person or on your shiny phone. There are other pressures at play as well. Being the business owners outgoings, whether it be rent, rates ,bills fees charges. The customers are unwilling to have those charges loaded into the price. so if the owner does not own the building the Landlord who is usually the worst offender , Acountant ,Councils etc don't really care they all want their slice of the pie. Eventually the business owner gives up and why wouldn't they. No-body's got their back.

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 08-23-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
First is was digital downloading that killed off our beloved record shops(now where do we hang out to discover new music ?)
I follow links on YouTube. It has led me to quite a few great bands (most of whom put their music up either via Vevo or their own accounts, by the way, to build an audience).

I never learned of a great band in a record or CD shop.

Quote:
Now, where do we have a tactile shoping experiance to try out new gear? In the words of Nigel tufnel..."nowhere"
That is true ... but as many others have noted, the shops aren't exactly open and warm about you checking out the new gear. They want to keep it in good enough shape to sell. Meanwhile, lots of online retailers have free returns. There's eBay and Craigslist for trying out various things on the cheap. And I imagine there will always be some form of brick-and-mortar presence for durable goods shops, specifically because most people like to try something in person before buying it.

But the reality is, you generally try something out for the first time once. Most purchasing is of the "refill" variety, and online is perfect for that.

Think of it this way: before the big consumer boom, how did the average American become exposed to products? Mail order catalogs. Most Americans didn't live near a big shopping center (even when malls became the thing, they weren't everywhere). I grew up in a small town that didn't even have a music shop within a 25-mile radius.

Quote:

When will we learn ???
I'm just not sure what we're supposed to learn. There's a bizarre universalism to your statements, as if we all had these great mom and pop shop experiences that we all lost and are all mourning. For me, the experience with local drum shops has generally been jacked-up prices, small inventories, and disinterested clerks. The best experience I've had with an in-shop musical purchase was when I bought my electrical guitar (hilarious irony: my American Strat was stolen in Mexico!). The Guitar Center guy sat down with me, asked me what kind of guitar playing I liked, what I was planning to learn, walked me through the whole purchase. That was one encounter in a hundred.

I'm no sociologist, but I would wager that 99% of the misery in society today is because people see the world going against how they think it should go and they just lose their shit because of it. But that's life. Most of the time things won't go the way you think they should, unless you strategically make the way things are going "your way" (like everybody I know who lives on the West Coast, god bless their smug sanctimonious Facebook and Twitter accounts).

Nobody can even really see the impact of their decisions; we're in this online sales situation now mainly because in the 90s some geek wanted to make it easier and cheaper to buy college textbooks.

Thirty years ago the world needed corner bookshops. Today we don't. The world continues apace.