DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Default Cruise Ship Drumming: Interview with the drummers of Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas

Good day DW Denizens,

If you've ever considered working on cruise ships or just wondered what life on the high seas might be like then give this show a listen. You'll hear from a group of veteran drummers who detail their careers and how it led them to playing on cruise ships. You'll hear everything from: how they got the gig, how often they play, contracts, pay scales, extra duties, living quarters, amenities, gear, dealing with 'ground hog day', the things they like best/least, and much more.

Follow the link below or find Drummer's Weekly Groovecast on Itunes, Google Play Podcasts, Stitcher, Podbean, and all your favorite podcast apps.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-smith-59...is-of-the-seas
Old 08-10-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Cruise Ship Drumming: Interview with the drummers of Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas

Great article. I met and talked with a drummer here who did this and liked it for a few cruise rotations. After that, it became "work" and he started to not like playing drums anymore.
That's when he knew to "jump ship" so to speak and get with a normal gigging schedule.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Cruise Ship Drumming: Interview with the drummers of Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
Great article. I met and talked with a drummer here who did this and liked it for a few cruise rotations. After that, it became "work" and he started to not like playing drums anymore.
That's when he knew to "jump ship" so to speak and get with a normal gigging schedule.
Thanks Commander!

We had a blast aboard the Oasis but I can also understand exactly what your friend went through. When you're in the last month of a six month contract the walls certainly get a bit closer. ;-)
Old 08-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

I'll have a listen to that later. I worked on P&O ships from 93 to 99. Mostly Mediterranean and Atlantic, and several 3 month world cruises.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

My nephew is midway through six months cruising the Mediterranean as a drummer on a cruise ship. Keeps posting photos of Greek beaches, Rome, Paris, Venice, etc. A great gig for him straight out of university with a degree in jazz drums.

But you wouldn't want to do it for years on end - it would become groundhog month.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 PM

I did ships in the 80īs, to me is always the same: TO PLAY GOOD MUSIC WITH GOOD MUSICIANS, any other option is undesiderable and should be avoided at all costs, no matter what!

I was playing in a Jazz trio.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:17 PM

Another insightful and professional interview (but still nice and relaxed).

I would have said that the topic doesn't interest me one iota, and yet it was captivating enough for me to listen right through. It's eye opening to learn about others drummers experiences.

One thing I might have changed is the title. Would have just called it "Cruise Ship bands" or something. Might seem like a petty criticism but I have a reason.
A simpler title might make it more easy to search for on the net. I'm sure that this interview would provide a lot of help to musicians considering doing cruises. If I were, I'd be delighted to hear these guys talk and get a first impression before joining up.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
Another insightful and professional interview (but still nice and relaxed).

I would have said that the topic doesn't interest me one iota, and yet it was captivating enough for me to listen right through. It's eye opening to learn about others drummers experiences.

One thing I might have changed is the title. Would have just called it "Cruise Ship bands" or something. Might seem like a petty criticism but I have a reason.
A simpler title might make it more easy to search for on the net. I'm sure that this interview would provide a lot of help to musicians considering doing cruises. If I were, I'd be delighted to hear these guys talk and get a first impression before joining up.
Hey Mike, thanks so much for the kind words! We appreciate your support and ALL suggestions are welcome and taken to heart.

Stay tuned over the next few weeks. There are two upcoming interviews that are going to be beyond epic. There are approximately 50 years age difference between the two aforementioned interviewees and both play polar opposite gigs. They both are amazing people/performers and to my knowledge very little prior press coverage.

Best regards,

Phil
Drummer's Weekly Groovecast